Dolly Parton Doesn't Want Your Vote

John Thomas8

Dolly Parton Doesn't Want Your Vote

Post by John Thomas8 »

The rocket surgeons at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame have placed Dolly Parton on this year's inductee ballot.

In part, her response is:

"I've been educated since then, saying that it's more than that, but I still didn't feel right about it. It kind of would be like putting AC/DC in the Country Music Hall of Fame. That just felt a little out of place for me," she added.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/17/10873258 ... ll-of-fame

Except for the mind-numbingly outrageous prices at Dollywood, I have much respect for her career and charity work.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Dolly Parton Doesn't Want Your Vote

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... omination/
After the beloved country singer this week asked for her Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination to be revoked, the Rock Hall respectfully declined to do so. The foundation noted Thursday in a tweeted statement that the work it celebrates “has had deep roots in Rhythm & Blues and Country music.”

Rock-and-roll “is not defined by any one genre, rather a sound that moves youth culture,” the statement reads. “Dolly Parton’s music impacted a generation of young fans and influenced countless artists that followed. Her nominations to be considered for induction into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame followed the same process as all other artists who have been considered.”

There may be a logistical reason for declining Parton’s request as well. The Rock Hall pointed out that her nomination had already been included in the ballots sent to 1,200 voters this month.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

She may be more closely associated with country music but her songwriting has spanned other genres, a few of her hits, as well. If pop music can be in the RRHoF, then so can Ms Parton's work. That said, I have the utmost respect for her and understand where she's coming from. If she's voted in, maybe they can work with her for a display that she's comfortable with.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

My favorite Parton tune is Jolene.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Love that one. Also, Islands in the Stream with Kenny Rogers, which was written by the BeeGees, BTW, but was a huge top 40 hit.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”