Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Spring Forward on Sunday morning ...

You never know, something important could happen.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Spring Forward on Sunday morning ...

Post by Foggy »

This is a public service announcement.

Also, clean behind your ears and don't run with scissors. :fingerwag:

I know it means you get an hour less sleep Sunday. Think of the poor ol' rooster who everybody loves to kick around whenever they're bored or havin' a bad day. I'll effectively be rising at 4:30 am my time to do forum maintenance.

Fogbow and many of your clocks are self-adjusting. But it's good to wrap your head around it, too also.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Spring Forward on Sunday morning ...

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I'm getting CHEATED out of an extra hour with my grandgurlzz who are visiting during their spring break! Where are the daylight savings demons who need to be lambasted????
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

You're their grandma, you get to make the rules. So make some FUN rules, grandma.

Give 'em the extra hour to stay up late, make it a Clocks Change Party, among other things make them hunt for clocks to change and stuff. They'll remember it forever.

Ol' Wifehorn used to take the boys shopping for Christmas presents, in order to help Santa Claus, who was really bizzy and might not get the right thing anyway. Then they'd leave the presents on the front porch at night a week or so before Christmas, so that Santa could send the elves to pick up the toys. This was very helpful to Santa and guaranteed that the boys got the right presents on Christmas morning, and it was kind of necessary when we were running the flower shop and she couldn't really leave them home while shopping, because I'd be at the store.

Pure genius. I know you could do something cool for a Clocks Change Party.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted: fun rulzes for kids - you get to bed one hour earlier so you don't lose all your sleep ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh man. Do NOT try to fool anyone over the age of two, and for some kids even that is pushing it.

Kids are WAY smarter than grownups. Trying to fool them is highly dangerous.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Great ideas, Foggy! Loved the Xmas presents story! Wifehorn is a wise woman!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I'm glad my grandson isn't going to be here this weekend. My granddaughter is grumbly about it, but my grandson wakes me at about 5 AM regularly. They were here last year; it wasn't fun. I am not a morning person. The snowstorm is definitely going to keep them at home this weekend.

His other grandma gets up about 5 AM, which he thinks is so cool. It's not really good for him, though, as he can't stay awake in school all day. Just because Grandma Z does it doesn't mean it's good for him. They are trying to adjust his bedtime, but so far nothing is working. He gets up before anyone else and calls her on FaceTime while the rest of the family is sleeping. He tried that with me a few times, but I put an end to that pretty quick.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I set my manual setting clocks earlier on Saturday (like at 5 or 6 pm) so I can think of going to bed earlier than I would if I waited until right before going to bed. It is about adjusting my pattern a little earlier. Since I have to get up and get out earlier on Sunday than other days, it is more important that I go to bed on time.

This does not make the few days after all wonderful as I still need to adjust to the new pattern, but at least I am not shorting myself on the night before I need my greatest work energy.
101010 :towel:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20220311_180540.jpg
Image Image Image Image
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:o

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Hay! Wha' happened? Where'd mah hour go? :confuzzled:

:yawn:

Now remember, this is not the Vernal Equinox. That's a week from today. :towel:

Except I reckon that's the Autumnal Equinox, down there in Oz. :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:55 pm :o

EVERYONE PLEASE NOTICE THE DATE. This happens in October when South Oz, New South Wales, Victoria, and Tasmania go DST, but Qld, WA, and the NT do not.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I like how the guys in the middle split the difference.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

It would seem the one’s closer to pole are making more adaptations. This makes sense to me as when I lived in Texas (much closer to the equator), the time shift matters some, but not all that much (as far as daylight hours go). But now I’m in northern Michigan the change from Summer (with its daylight hours very close to 16) to Winter (with daylight hours at only 8 hours) is so much that shift of an hour on the clocks really do help a little in keeping the daylight hours centered on business hours.
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I'm torn on the time change. Working overnight on the weekends, I get one shift with an extra hour in it in the fall, one shift with one less hour in the spring.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I never liked daylight saving time. I would be fine to see it go away for good. I believe studies have shown that the energy savings we supposedly get are a myth.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/health/d ... index.html
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Danraft wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:12 am It would seem the one’s closer to pole are making more adaptations. This makes sense to me as when I lived in Texas (much closer to the equator), the time shift matters some, but not all that much (as far as daylight hours go). But now I’m in northern Michigan the change from Summer (with its daylight hours very close to 16) to Winter (with daylight hours at only 8 hours) is so much that shift of an hour on the clocks really do help a little in keeping the daylight hours centered on business hours.
For me it's relative location to the time zone line. Without DST, I'd have no evenings with light. DST is a must for my sanity.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Senate Cloakroom @SenateCloakroom wrote: Passed by Unanimous Consent, S.623: Sunshine Protection Act, as amended (to make Daylight Saving Time permanent) @SenRubioPress / @SenWhitehouse / others
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

This one caught me unawares, didn't even realize this was in the workings. Anyone know what the chances are in the House? Not sure why Sinema is so happy, we don't do Daylight Saving in AZ anyway.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Republicans need some extra enlightenment, so extra sunlight will do them good :biggrin:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Is stupid. I remember when we did that in the 70s. Getting to school in the dark was not fun.

If they want to do year round standard time, fine.
Image Image Image Image
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

As pointed out above, latitude makes all the difference.

We're at the 37th parallel. Sunrise from mid-May through late July is at 0545 - 0615 PDT. I cannot imagine sunrise at 0445 or so if we remained on standard time. We tend to rise as day breaks throughout the year, so in December we rise after seven. Could you imagine if we were further north?

My wife had been a staunch advocate of scrapping daylight saving time. I decided to play a little trick on her. I reset the clocks back to standard time one night after we went to sleep. When we rose the next morning, she freaked out when she saw the clocks in the house display 0500 or thereabouts. After she calmed down and I told her what I did, she decided it was easier to go along to get along.

The point about going to school/work in darkness from November through February is a good one too, also.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I had a friend in the Detroit area who argued against DST based on longitude, as they were (somewhat) close to the Central Time Zone. She's the only one I ever heard argue based on that.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I prefer standard time year round vs. Daylight savings time, but one or the other and just stick with it and not change.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I like the phrase “temporal anarchy”, used to describe Australia’s 7 time zones.

Return to “Announcements”