Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

ARACHNOPHOBIA!!!!!!!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

ARACHNOPHOBIA!!!!!!!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.newsweek.com/spiders-hunt-p ... bs-1685573
These Spiders Hunt in Packs With Thousands of Creatures Weaving Giant Webs

A species of "social" spider hunts in packs among webs woven by thousands of creatures, scientists have found.

Scientists with the University of Toulouse and the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS) published their findings in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). Findings showed incredible synchronicity between a species of social spider while hunting.

There are around 50,000 known species of spider on Earth, but only 20 of those are known to be "social" animals that survive and live communally.

Among them are the Anelosimus eximius, a spider found in French Guyana that lives in large colonies of massive webs home to thousands of spiders of all ages. :shock: Previous research on the species published in the journal Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology showed how Anelosimus eximius' cooperative behavior helps them catch an "unusually high number of large insects."

They found that Anelosimus eximius hunt in packs. When prey entered their web, the spiders coordinated their attack, with scientists observing them alternating their individual movements to hunt as one larger and more effective force.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: ARACHNOPHOBIA!!!!!!!

Post by Foggy »

For web lovers, Arachnophilia is a full featured HTML editor with an internal browser.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:shock: :eek: :shock: Palm sized spiders! :shock: :eek: :shock:

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

It would be remiss not to link to the Pharyngula post about this as P. Z. Myers has become a huge spider enthusiast in recent years. The grand spider co-op
Be warned, lots of pictures.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, if'n ol' Wifehorn sees one of them things, I'm gonna have to scrape her off the ceiling ... after dealing with the arachnid, of course. :|
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Arachnid anarchy! No hierarchy!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

I may have told this story on the old ‘bow…

When we first got our cabin we had no electricity. When we finally got electricity my husband told me the first thing he wanted with the new oven was an apple pie. So I dutifully complied. He went into town while I made the pie.

When the pie was done, I donned my oven mitts and reached in to pull the hot pie out of the oven. Just as I was clear of the oven I felt something tickle my arm and looked down in time to see a wolf spider crawling up my arm from inside the oven mitt.

I screamed, dropped the pie onto the floor, there the oven mitts down, grabbed the broom and beat the spider to death with it.

Just as I was done killing the spider, my husband walked in. He looked at the floor, saw the empty pie plate, saw the steaming hot pie all over the floor, saw the broom and the dead spider, looked at me and said, “You did the Spider Dance, didn’t you?”

I know that wolf spiders won’t hurt you, but jeebus…
► Show Spoiler
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

One of the grad school programs that my son is a candidate for is a research project on mercury contamination of spiders... In Greenland.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Oh....
And BTW, you are never more than 8 feet away from a spider.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I used to be terrified, still don't like them, but when we moved into the woods, a whole new world was opened to me. I gradually got to the point where, unless there's a specific reason or they are gigantic, we co-exist.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:20 pm I used to be terrified, still don't like them, but when we moved into the woods, a whole new world was opened to me. I gradually got to the point where, unless there's a specific reason or they are gigantic, we co-exist.
I let them go...they eat mosquitos around here...do I keep the car post lights on all the time for them so they can make an all you can eat buffet...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:26 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:20 pm I used to be terrified, still don't like them, but when we moved into the woods, a whole new world was opened to me. I gradually got to the point where, unless there's a specific reason or they are gigantic, we co-exist.
I let them go...they eat mosquitos around here...do I keep the car post lights on all the time for them so they can make an all you can eat buffet...
Yeah, have occasionally put one outside.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer

We always put spiders found inside outside in spite of their screams "I'm an INSIDE spider! INSIDE!"

My students learned to do that as well. Some poor substitute teacher was about to execute an innocent arachnid in my classroom when the entire class yelled at her to put the spider outside!

The movie Arachnophobia still scared me, at least, the few frames I actually watched.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I've achieved an uneasy detente with spiders in general, except black widows. Those little fuckers get smote on sight.
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer

:yeahthat:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I am blaming the really really big spider in my dreams on this thread. Of course, I should just not read it but I'm an idiot.

I know spiders are useful, but I really don't like being around them, or even looking at them. I'm not sure if the big spiders that used to hang down from the cabin porch ceiling at a music camp in Maine had anything to do with it. I think I disliked them already and the spiders at that camp did not help it.
101010 :towel:
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:49 pm We always put spiders found inside outside in spite of their screams "I'm an INSIDE spider! INSIDE!"

My students learned to do that as well. Some poor substitute teacher was about to execute an innocent arachnid in my classroom when the entire class yelled at her to put the spider outside!

The movie Arachnophobia still scared me, at least, the few frames I actually watched.
Yeah I've read that inside spiders will simply die outside. I just put them under sink (where they probably came from anyway). Supposedly they spend most time out of sight in cracks, but venture out to reproduce.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

PaulG wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:49 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:49 pm We always put spiders found inside outside in spite of their screams "I'm an INSIDE spider! INSIDE!"

Yeah I've read that inside spiders will simply die outside. I just put them under sink (where they probably came from anyway). Supposedly they spend most time out of sight in cracks, but venture out to reproduce.
I had a buddy who was kinda like that.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:40 pm Oh man, if'n ol' Wifehorn sees one of them things, I'm gonna have to scrape her off the ceiling ... after dealing with the arachnid, of course. :|
I thought you were going to say you had to rescue the poor spider.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

► Show Spoiler
Tiredretiredlawyer

qbawl: I had a buddy who was kinda like that.
Let's just say your buddy is "interesting". :cantlook:
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:41 am
qbawl: I had a buddy who was kinda like that.
Let's just say your buddy is "interesting". :cantlook:
And a big hit at parties.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

No girls found his eight eyes attractive, did they?
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

sleep tight.

Return to “Science”