Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Prominent People Who Are Injured or Ill

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Prominent People Who Are Injured or Ill

Post by AndyinPA »

No link. On the phone.

Bruce Willis to retire after being diagnosed with aphasia.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:59 pm No link. On the phone.

People Magazine article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com ... 3famp=true
Image Image Image Image
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:44 pm I know that many performers just like performing and so continue into their twilight years. My husband and I saw Bob Hope in his later years at the Minnesota State Fair. Fortunately his wife was with him. It was sad when he had to turn to her for her help in remembering a punch line.
Performing is not just a job. When my father retired from a university, the joke was that music faculty don't retire for performing (or even teaching). They retire from professional responsibility reports. When you end up having physical issues which prevent performing, it can be extremely painful emotionally. It is not about the lost money, it is the loss of a beloved craft that you have spent your whole life doing.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

Estiveo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:14 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:59 pm No link. On the phone.

People Magazine article:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people.com ... 3famp=true
Oh that's terrible. One more thing to be worried about getting....
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I suspect this comes from two things:
Like football players, he often bumped things really hard in his acting roles
He was really into drugs in his yout.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Didn't read the article. Did he suffer a stroke, even a small one? Aphasia is a side effect from that, depending on where the brain injury is.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:54 pm Didn't read the article. Did he suffer a stroke, even a small one? Aphasia is a side effect from that, depending on where the brain injury is.
I read the NYT article and it didn't mention any kind of a cause. https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/30/movi ... hasia.html
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That is terrible. I wish the best for Mr. Willis, this must be devastating. :brokenheart:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2022/m ... -diagnosis
Speaking to directors and other crew members who have worked with the 67-year-old actor, the article details Willis struggling to remember dialogue, expressing confusion at his surroundings, needing shortened work days and having issues with gun use.

“After the first day of working with Bruce, I could see it first-hand and I realized that there was a bigger issue at stake here and why I had been asked to shorten his lines,” said Mike Burns, director of 2021 thriller Out of Death. During the shoot, he was required to compress 25 pages of dialogue into one day of filming.
His problems have apparently been obvious for several years. Very sad.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Something living leaves the faces of those with dementia, I think, replaced by a bland countenance with no evidence of their having lived it up, as Mr. Willis liked to say.

Gone, the mischievous monkey in Moonlighting, the cunning cop in Diehard (1-6). Instead, as one co-worker said, you get “I know why you’re here, and why you’re here, but why am I here?”

So sad. He loved his job. Kudos to the family for wrapping him in love and protection.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Keith? :doh:
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

mojosapien wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:32 amKeith? :doh:
What?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It might have something to do with that chair you mentioned :shock: , even though it’s in another thread.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

The Keef giving up cigs. :yet to be confirmed:
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I suffer (now very infrequently) from aphasia. One time it hit right in the middle of a group presentation that counted for 30% of our grade. I had no idea it was happening until the professor said she couldn't understand a word I was saying. I tried to write on the chalkboard what was happening, but couldn't even manage that. It was horrifying. Luckily, she believed me when I explained what happened (probably helped that I opened with begging her not to mark down my teammates) and when she asked me about the topic my brain fried on, I pulled out the book she had used as a basis for the topic prompt and had a lively 15 minute debate over the meaning of a section (I had interpreted it 180 degrees from how she did). The fact that I understood the material well enough to half-convince her that she was wrong pretty much proved that I wasn't faking it.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

So sorry this happened to you.If I may ask, did you say the wrong words or pronounce words incorrectly, or were you unable to speak words? Aphasia is lack of words and dysphasia is wrong, or incorrectly pronounced words* I know the release said Willis was suffering from aphasia but it's commonly confused with dysphasia (which is also commonly confused with dysphagia which means problems swallowing.) In your case, did they ever find out what caused it? Perhaps a TIA, (transient ischemic attack) also known as a mini stroke, in which people usually fully recover.

*trump saying oranges over and over when he meant origins.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I've had problems for several years now where I "lose" nouns when speaking. It's very strange. It happens only when I'm speaking - never when I'm writing something - and only with nouns. Often I can hear the word in my head, but once it get stuck, it stays stuck - I can't get it to come out my mouth and I can't write it down. Most often, I just end up describing what I mean. For example, if I need my husband or caretaker to bring me some water, I may not be able to say "water" so I'll ask for "clear drinking stuff" and they know what I mean by that. It's really annoying!

I've also had a few episodes recently where I can't remember how to do something I do on a regular basis. One example, when I'm putting away my CPAP equipment, I have a band I wrap and tie around it to hold it all together. One day, I couldn't remember at all how to wrap and tie the band. It's a very simple thing, but it was like it just vanished. I had to work out again how I normally did it. I never did actually "remember" it, I just relearned it.

My doctor thinks I may be having TIAs and put me on low-dose aspirin. I have to admit, it's been better since I started on it. The blanks still happen at times, but much less frequently than they used to.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I feelz ya, Kriselda. Migraines and fibromyalgia interfere with my word acquisition. Thank dog for finger pointing and writing and substitute words. :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/ ... -diagnosis
Country music star Toby Keith has announced he is being treated for stomach cancer.

In a statement on social media, he wrote: “Last fall I was diagnosed with stomach cancer. I’ve spent the last 6 months receiving chemo, radiation and surgery. So far, so good. I need time to breathe, recover and relax.”

He said he was spending time with family, “but I will see the fans sooner than later. I can’t wait.”

Keith is one of the most successful country artists in the US. His debut album was released in 1993, and by the turn of the century he had crossed over in the pop mainstream: 2002’s Unleashed and 2003’s Shock’n Y’all topped the US album chart. Twenty of his singles have topped the US country chart.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

am I supposed to be sad?

I'm with Natalie. FUTK
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

sad-cafe wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:44 pm am I supposed to be sad?

I'm with Natalie. FUTK
I know what you mean, but he has done some good charitable work:
The Oklahoma native has long been an advocate for cancer patients. In 2006 he founded the Toby Keith Foundation to provide support for children with cancer. In 2014, the foundation opened OK Kids Korral, "a cost-free, convenient and comfortable home for pediatric cancer patients receiving treatment," as their website states.
https://people.com/country/country-star ... diagnosis/
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

Aside from that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... reaks-leg/
Interior Secretary Deb Haaland broke her left leg while hiking Sunday in Shenandoah National Park, the Interior Department said in a statement Monday.

“An evaluation this morning confirmed a break to her left fibula,” the statement said. “She is grateful to Park staff, the U.S. Park Police, and the team at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center for their excellent care.”

Haaland, 61, the first Native American to serve as a Cabinet secretary, will resume her schedule virtually Monday afternoon, according to the Interior Department. The department declined to answer additional questions.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Good for her, hiking in the Shenandoah. BTDT. I mean, how can you really be Secretary of the Interior if all you do is sit behind a desk in our nation's capital? :think:

Sorry she broke her leg, but I admire her.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Bennie Thompson has tested positive for Covid.

Return to “General Stuff”