Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Shutdown and Collapse of the Russian Economy

PaulG

Re: Shutdown and Collapse of the Russian Economy

Post by PaulG »

According to Starbucks, the flat white is 2 shots of espresso and 10 ounces of milk. The expensive additive is espresso. IMO all their drinks are pretty tasty as long as you don't get to much coffee mixed in.

https://athome.starbucks.com/recipe/flat-white
I had no idea this site existed. Everyday's a school day.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

PaulG wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:06 pm According to Starbucks, the flat white is 2 shots of espresso and 10 ounces of milk. The expensive additive is espresso. IMO all their drinks are pretty tasty as long as you don't get to much coffee mixed in.

https://athome.starbucks.com/recipe/flat-white
I had no idea this site existed. Everyday's a school day.
Starbuck's - smarbucks. The flat white is AUSTRALIAN (or maybe from New Zealand)

The Flat White Is Basically Meaningless
It’s hard to say precisely when the flat white first showed up in America — sometime between Kylie Minogue and the Hemsworths. And if you want to know exactly what one is, you can certainly Google it and enjoy parsing the 3,060,000,000 results, or you could ask some Australian baristas, like I did — which, it turns out, will produce roughly the same number of possible answers.

It was either invented in Australia or New Zealand; it’s maybe “a slightly stronger latte” or “just like a cappuccino”; it’s either, broadly speaking, “consistently served in a 5- to 6-ounce ceramic cup” or it’s, more specifically, “30 to 40 grams of espresso beverage with 180 grams of thinly textured milk.” It’s potentially got “no foam whatsoever” so it lays “‘flat’ across the rim of the cup — hence the name,” or it’s “steamed so that you could easily pour a rosetta or something more complicated.”

There is just one objective truth about a flat white, it seems, and it’s that it contains espresso and hot milk. “Basically it’s just another combination of milk and coffee enjoyed by people who enjoy a small, strong, milky coffee,” says Jenni Bryant, general manager of Melbourne’s Market Lane Coffee.

So maybe, “What is a flat white?” is the wrong question. The better question is, “Why is the flat white?”
Edit: For those who are really into trivial details: this guy says that the difference between a latte and a flat white is only the size of the cup: Flat White Latte: What Is The Difference Between Flat White And Latte? Which is, basically true, sorta. Either can be ordered single shot or double shot, so the smaller 'flat white' cup doesn't hold the same dose of milk and it therefor stronger coffee flavored.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

So, more generally, a "flat white" is a whole lotta milk with a little bit of coffee.
keith

Post by keith »

PaulG wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 3:00 am So, more generally, a "flat white" is a whole lotta milk with a little bit of coffee.
Not really.

A basic Caffe Latte is a single (30ml) or double (60ml) espresso shot in a 220ml (usually glass) cup topped with micro foamed steamed milk with a 10-15mm layer of foam.

A basic flat white is a double espresso in a 150 to 200ml (usually ceramic) cup topped with micro foamed steamed milk with a 5mm layer of foam.

Baristas differ, and regional preferences differ, but those are the basic iterations. So the ratio of coffee to milk is greater in a Flat White than in a Caffe Latte.

Ceramic vs. glass is immaterial of course, but so is a wine glass vs. a jam jar (unless you talk to the folks at Riedel).
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:00 pm
jemcanada2 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 7:43 am
Foggy wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:48 am You insulted coffee.
Yeah! Them’s fighting words! :boxing: :boxing: :duel:
Attachments
224F8A14-E0EC-4766-9C18-924884E308B4.png
224F8A14-E0EC-4766-9C18-924884E308B4.png (180.03 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Off Topic
Starbucks being a PNW brand, we watched it grow from tiny stands to the monster it is today. It has always been a bit overcooked, but that seemed to be their signature. I can take it or leave it. Nothing foofoo for me. Plain old Americano, black. If I can get a real espresso from a street shop that I have to sieve through my teeth because of the grounds, I'll take it.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

bill_g wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:30 am
Off Topic
Starbucks being a PNW brand, we watched it grow from tiny stands to the monster it is today. It has always been a bit overcooked, but that seemed to be their signature. I can take it or leave it. Nothing foofoo for me. Plain old Americano, black. If I can get a real espresso from a street shop that I have to sieve through my teeth because of the grounds, I'll take it.
Off Topic
Even further off topic... I am not sure if it is foofoo or not, but something I've fell in love with is adding chili flakes and cacao nibs to my coffee. black coffee with a kick. Sadly, I can not imagine any coffee shop ever offering it since the oil makes everything harder to clean.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I don’t agree that there’s no difference n taste between a flat white and a latte. A flat white tastes coffeeier* than a latte.

* it’s my word. You don’t like it? Come up with your own.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:23 pm I don’t agree that there’s no difference n taste between a flat white and a latte. A flat white tastes coffeeier* than a latte.

* it’s my word. You don’t like it? Come up with your own.
Covfefefefe.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

neeneko wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 am
pipistrelle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:53 am Never understood why Starbucks is so popular. To me the coffee tastes like someone had used it for campfire fuel.
Starbucks is less a coffee shop and more a 'coffee themed drink with expensive additives' shop.
THIS!

I kind of think people go to Starbucks to be seen at Starbucks, and carrying around the cup is a status symbol that's makes me think of nothing more than some swarmy MLM "Team Builder" trying to impress you that he not only paid $10 for a cup of coffee but his is the most complicated and detailed order at the local store and the Baristas are torn between hating him for making it a 15 step ordeal and admiration becuase he is THE GUY who is truly worthy of their efforts. But truth is he goes there once on the second Monday of the month for a new cup and the rest of the month he buys a cup for 4 bits at the coffee pot a guy at work runs to just break even on the Maxwell House he puts out.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 2:02 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:53 am
keith wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 11:34 pm

FIFY
Never understood why Starbucks is so popular. To me the coffee tastes like someone had used it for campfire fuel.
Its the same reason coka cola is the world number one despite not tasting that great, and McDonalds is despite their Burgers being pretty crappy - marketing.

Dude! I am literally destroying my health for the once a week chance to have some of the wonderful nectar them boys in Atlanta make.

Co'Cola is da bomb and I'll die on that hill!

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Gregg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:59 pm
neeneko wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:58 am
pipistrelle wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 6:53 am Never understood why Starbucks is so popular. To me the coffee tastes like someone had used it for campfire fuel.
Starbucks is less a coffee shop and more a 'coffee themed drink with expensive additives' shop.
THIS!

I kind of think people go to Starbucks to be seen at Starbucks, and carrying around the cup is a status symbol that's makes me think of nothing more than some swarmy MLM "Team Builder" trying to impress you that he not only paid $10 for a cup of coffee but his is the most complicated and detailed order at the local store and the Baristas are torn between hating him for making it a 15 step ordeal and admiration because he is THE GUY who is truly worthy of their efforts. But truth is he goes there once on the second Monday of the month for a new cup and the rest of the month he buys a cup for 4 bits at the coffee pot a guy at work runs to just break even on the Maxwell House he puts out.
Back in my grocery store days I was responsible for stocking the aisle with baking goods, tea and coffee. Maxwell House was by far the most popular coffee brand. A one pound tin (regular or drip grind) was 77 cents. I stamped that price on hundreds of those blue tins every week.

I never was a coffee drinker so I have no idea how many cups a one pound tin made but it must have been quite a few.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Gregg wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:59 pm THIS!

I kind of think people go to Starbucks to be seen at Starbucks, and carrying around the cup is a status symbol that's makes me think of nothing more than some swarmy MLM "Team Builder" trying to impress you that he not only paid $10 for a cup of coffee but his is the most complicated and detailed order at the local store and the Baristas are torn between hating him for making it a 15 step ordeal and admiration becuase he is THE GUY who is truly worthy of their efforts. But truth is he goes there once on the second Monday of the month for a new cup and the rest of the month he buys a cup for 4 bits at the coffee pot a guy at work runs to just break even on the Maxwell House he puts out.
Off Topic
Eh, I would not go that far. I think people honestly like Starbucks for the product and connivance. Starbucks is everywhere so it is often on people's way to/from work/class/whatever. The product is a bit expensive, but not excessively so, and the actual drinks, well, I think they appeal to people who are not all that into straight coffee. They enjoy the dairy and sugar and flavors that Starbucks ads in the same way people enjoy, say, mixed drinks over straight vodka.

Though I admit this take comes from mostly encountering Starbucks on the college campus I used to work on, so it was mostly students/professors grabbing their morning sugar infused coffee like beverage before diving into arcana.

Heh... and now I am thinking of how I keep stumping the baristas at my local coffee shop... every new one they get ends up getting confused by my order and has to look it up with a dazed 'I didn't know you could do that' look. Though I blame the owner since she was the one who started it with a 'have you ever tried it like this before? I will make you one!'.
Lansdowne

Post by Lansdowne »

So it looks as if we need a thread called "Shutdown and Collapse of the Shutdown and Collapse of the Russian Economy Topic".

Or perhaps this is an example of what the topic "Religious Threadjacks" was intended for. Some of the contributions do seem quite devotional.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Russia is a coffee export country, isn't it?

Oh wait, Starbucks left Russia to make a point, and that led to ...
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted: "Shutdown and Collapse of the US Coffee Culture".
Lani

Post by Lani »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:44 am Russia is a coffee export country, isn't it?

Drat. Now I'm wondering where Russia gets it coffee.

Russia is no longer a tea country, according to industry experts who say coffee drinking overtook tea for the first time last year. Russians consumed 40,000 more metric tons of coffee than tea in 2019, according to data from the RusTeaCoffee association cited by the RBC news website Thursday.
https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/05/ ... rch-a70275

100% of coffee in Russia is imported, and the main suppliers are Vietnam, Brazil, Indonesia. Yum! Indonesian coffee!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:44 am Russia is a coffee export country, isn't it?

RTH10260 wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:45 am :twisted: "Shutdown and Collapse of the US Coffee Culture".

:eek: :eek:
Hic sunt dracones
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Lani wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:59 am

Russia is no longer a tea country, according to industry experts who say coffee drinking overtook tea for the first time last year. Russians consumed 40,000 more metric tons of coffee than tea in 2019, according to data from the RusTeaCoffee association cited by the RBC news website Thursday.

100% of coffee in Russia is imported, and the main suppliers are Vietnam, Brazil, Indonesia. Yum! Indonesian coffee!
Russia exports a lot of it's coffee. In the Cyrllic alphabet it's five letters that begin with V. And they prefer it chilled in the freezer.
Lani

Post by Lani »

bill_g wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:08 am
:snippity:
Russia exports a lot of it's coffee. In the Cyrllic alphabet it's five letters that begin with V. And they prefer it chilled in the freezer.
Yes, Russia exports some of the coffee that it imported - only a small portion of its coffee imports. Most goes to Belarus, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Georgia & Moldova.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Lani wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:25 am
bill_g wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:08 am
:snippity:
Yes, Russia exports some of the coffee that it imported - only a small portion of its coffee imports. Most goes to Belarus, Kazakhstan, Ukraine, Georgia & Moldova.
My bad. I forgot to put the [sarc][/sarc] brackets in.
keith

Post by keith »

FYI, Viet Nam grows virtually 100% Robusta while Brazil growers produce mainly Arabica.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Appraising Russia's Wartime Economy
Russia’s Ministry of Economic Development expects that in 2022 and 2023 the country’s economy will shrink by 4.2 and 2.7 percent respectively, and only in 2024 will it resume growth (by 3.7 percent).

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) published a similar forecast in July, predicting a drop of 6 percent instead of 8.5 percent as was expected in April. At the same time, the forecast for 2023 worsened: if in April the IMF talked about a decrease of 2.3 percent, now it is 3.5 percent.

According to the results of the second quarter, the Russian economy shrank less than previously expected. Exports of oil and products from the non-energy sector performed better than forecasts predicted. The IMF notes that domestic demand has remained stable due to the localization of the effect of sanctions on the domestic financial sector and the better-than-expected state of the labor market.

There will likely be no economic catastrophe this year or the next. Instead, “negative growth” is expected to continue, which will probably affect almost all sectors of the economy, including the extraction of raw materials. The economy will likely become more dysfunctional due to the acute shortage of investment and lack of new technologies.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Pah, we managed to do roughly that to the UK economy without any sanctions.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

They're gonna be flying in planes with propellers and using typewriters with ribbons. If you think our motorcar companies have problems with a chip shortage, you just have no idea...

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”