Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Sanctions and Support

W. Kevin Vicklund

Sanctions and Support

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

I thought we could use a thread to post sanctions levied against Russia and showcase support for Ukraine.

Chilidog

Re: Sanctions and Support

Post by Chilidog »

I just saw that on reddit.

That's below the belt....
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Chilidog wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:52 am I just saw that on reddit.

That's below the belt....
Frater, you forgot to see yourself out.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Quite honestly, why not just shut off all internet to Russia?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:57 am Quite honestly, why not just shut off all internet to Russia?
:winner:

Not sure it's realistic to shut off ALL internet, but as much as possible there needs to be a concerted effort to shut them off where possible and make it difficult for them to get their propaganda out there.

I really wish Twitter would step up and shut remove any pro-Russia propaganda as well, especially from people like #TuckyoRose who have a huge following. I mean c'mon.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Hmmm. A big demonstration siege (not trucker convoy) outside Fox headquarters, chants of "Tuckyo Rose.

(Do Americans under 40? 50? know the significance of Tokyo Rose?)
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:57 am Quite honestly, why not just shut off all internet to Russia?
You'd have to get China onboard, plus cut off some Russian puppet states. But it is on the list, as I understand.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

RVInit wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:17 am
:winner:

Not sure it's realistic to shut off ALL internet, but as much as possible there needs to be a concerted effort to shut them off where possible and make it difficult for them to get their propaganda out there.

I really wish Twitter would step up and shut remove any pro-Russia propaganda as well, especially from people like #TuckyoRose who have a huge following. I mean c'mon.
I imagine it would be a steep hill to climb, but considering Russia is adept at cyberattacks, it seems like a good defensive move to air gap them from the world as much as possible.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Assuming one could do so, would shutting off the Internet harm the Russian government or the Russian people more? Is the world seeing the protests on Moscow’s front door a valuable thing?
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:40 am
You'd have to get China onboard, plus cut off some Russian puppet states. But it is on the list, as I understand.
It seems logical to me. It's the fifth necessity now, and nations are dependent upon it. Electricity, fresh water, sewage, garbage, and now internet (which includes all data and voice communications) are the vital services needed for a polite society. Cut any of them off, and things break down quickly.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Russia needs to be cut off from the international banking and payments system. Boris Johnson has proposed that Europe block Russia from using the SWIFT payments system. This would deprive Russia of hard currency from the sale of oil and natural gas.

I don't know if there are other payment systems that could be shut off, but, as I understand it, oil and natural gas are Russia's primary source of hard currency.

This would hurt them even more than cutting off the internet.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

The internet is the defacto transport layer for everything these days.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

raison de arizona wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:58 am Assuming one could do so, would shutting off the Internet harm the Russian government or the Russian people more? Is the world seeing the protests on Moscow’s front door a valuable thing?
This. The world needs the Internet to be functioning in Russia. It will work against Putin.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

And there's that side of the equation - free movement of information.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:19 pm And there's that side of the equation - free movement of information.
True. Would be nice to be able to cut off their propaganda coming out, quit broadcasting RT and other propaganda outlets/official Putin messaging, while still allowing information about the whole world support for Ukraine into Russia. And I do agree in the value of the rest of the world seeing the anti-war sentiment coming from inside Russia.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

KLM orders two flights to Russia to turn around due to sanctions

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... ce=twitter
KLM, the Dutch arm of Air France (AIRF.PA), said on Saturday it had instructed two flights en route to Russia to turn around due to European sanctions against the country.

A spokesperson for the company said the reason was that, under the sanctions, reserve parts can no longer be sent to Russia, even for an airline's own use.

"That means we can no longer guarantee that flights to Russia will be able to return safely", the spokesperson said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I am not allowing anyone with an IP address in Russia to join Fogbow. :fingerwag:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Soccer-Poland, Sweden refuse to play World Cup match with Russia

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sport ... ce=twitter
Poland and Sweden said they would not play their soccer World Cup qualifiers against Russia in March, following Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the governing bodies of both national teams said on Saturday.

The playoff matches are set to be held in March to fill a slot for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, and several Poland players including captain Robert Lewandowski backed the decision with statements on social media.

"In light of the escalation of the Russian Federation's aggression against Ukraine, the Polish national team is not going to play a match against Russian Republic," Poland's Football Association chief Cezary Kulesza wrote on Twitter.

"This is the only right decision. We're in talks with Swedish and Czech association to present a common position to FIFA."wandowski backed the decision with statements on social media.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

LOL, it's being reported there have possibly been Russia State media being knocked offline. I don't know how credible that is, but could be people like Anonymous trying to disrupt Russian propaganda. :shrug:
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:16 pm I am not allowing anyone with an IP address in Russia to join Fogbow. :fingerwag:
:thumbsup: Foggy doing his part to help Ukraine!

OK, I'm off for the hike I've been threatening. I needz fresh air.
--Colin Kaepernick
raison de arizona

Ingrida Šimonytė @IngridaSimonyte wrote: Lithuania will ban Russian airlines from its airspace from midnight.

No flights for aggressor planes in the freedom sky.

#StandWithUkraine
Ingrida Šimonytė is the Prime Minister of the Republic of Lithuania 🇱🇹.

I believe Estonia has restricted their airspace as well.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters
@Reuters
·
22m
Replying to
@Reuters
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy welcomed moves to disconnect Russia from 'global financial civilization' in a video message after a French presidential official said EU members were close to agreeing to exclude Russia from the SWIFT payment system https://reut.rs/3M31Hcd
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters
@Reuters
·
28m
UK cancels Belarus basketball team's visas over Ukraine http://reut.rs/3hn0X3u
raison de arizona

Turkey is dragging their feet over closing the Black Sea to further Russian warships, citing that the Ukraine invasion cannot rightly be defined as a "war".

And you could knock me over with a feather!
Turkey says cannot stop Russian warships accessing Black Sea
Ukraine has appealed to Turkey to block Russian warships from passing through the Dardanelles and Bosphorus straits which lead to the Black Sea.

The Turkish foreign minister has said Turkey cannot stop Russian warships accessing the Black Sea via its straits, as Ukraine has requested, due to a clause in an international pact.

Ukraine has appealed to Turkey to block Russian warships from passing through the Dardanelles and Bosphorus Straits which lead to the Black Sea, after Moscow on Thursday launched a full-blown assault on Ukraine from land, air and sea.

Russian forces landed at Ukraine’s Black and Azov Sea ports as part of the invasion.

Turkey has control over the straits under the 1936 Montreux Convention, and can limit the passage of warships during wartime or if threatened. However, the request has put the NATO member in a difficult position as it tries to manage its Western commitments and close ties with Russia.

INTERACTIVE- Geoeconomics of the Black Sea 2022[Al Jazeera]

Speaking in Kazakhstan on Thursday, Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Turkey was studying Kyiv’s request but said Russia had the right under the Convention to return ships to their home base, in this case, the Black Sea.

If Turkey decided after a legal process to accept Ukraine’s request and close the straits to Russian warships, he said, they would only be prevented from travelling in the other direction, away from their home base into the Mediterranean.

“If countries involved in the war make a request to return their vessels to their bases, that needs to be allowed,” the Hurriyet newspaper quoted Cavusoglu as saying.

Turkey’s role
Cavusoglu added that Turkish legal experts were still trying to determine whether the conflict in Ukraine could be defined as a war, which would allow the convention mandates to be invoked.
:snippity:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/2/2 ... sea-turkey
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

. Earl Stephens ✍️@EarlOfEnough·2h📌 BREAKING: A top Russian official flying to Moscow faced a dramatic rebuff when Sweden denied his official government plane permission to enter its airspace.
Finland also denied his flight permission.

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”