Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Sanctions and Support

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Sanctions and Support

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Volkonski wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:42 pm
If ever there was a potent symbol of how much Russia’s invasion of Ukraine has altered Europe, the sight of this enormous battleship in Stockholm, bristling with 26 warplanes and 2,400 Marines and sailors, would certainly be it.
That's not a battleship. :doh:

Don't tell the New York Times. :shh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

True. It is a good deal more powerful than a battleship which is why battleships aren't used anymore.

Probably a young reporter who thinks that "battleship" is a generic term like "warship" for any naval vessel.

Wait until they encounter the word "dreadnought". ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Volkonski:

Ha! I know that one! That's those long braids pirates wear! :P
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:36 pm True. It is a good deal more powerful than a battleship which is why battleships aren't used anymore.

Probably a young reporter who thinks that "battleship" is a generic term like "warship" for any naval vessel.

This type of specific-for-generic confusion is, of course, not age-specific, as anyone knows who's been asked in the last decade or two to 'xerox' something at work. :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:56 am
Volkonski wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:36 pm True. It is a good deal more powerful than a battleship which is why battleships aren't used anymore.

This type of specific-for-generic confusion is, of course, not age-specific, as anyone knows who's been asked in the last decade or two to 'xerox' something at work. :)
Hand me a kleenex, please.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:08 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:56 am

Hand me a kleenex, please.
That’s just putting a bandaid on it.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Perry Mason asks for Della to make photostatic copies.

"Oh, and Della, make sure you don't get Vaseline on those copies."
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:29 am Perry Mason asks for Della to make photostatic copies.

"Oh, and Della, make sure you don't get Vaseline on those copies."
Makes me wonder what office procedure Perry's request interrupted!
Tiredretiredlawyer

:rotflmao:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

I can only hope that China negotiated bargain price.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Lithuania has implemented EU sanctions against Russia including the Kaliningrad enclave between Lithuania and Poland. Russia is not happy.

Kaliningrad should never have been Russian. NATO should respond strongly against any Russian provocations.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Russia warns Lithuania its citizens will feel the pain over Kaliningrad, EU calls for de-escalation

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-21/ ... /101172338

One of President Vladimir Putin's top allies has warned Lithuania that Russia would respond to a halt in the transit of EU-sanctioned goods to the exclave of Kaliningrad.

Key points:
The Secretary of Russia's Security Council, said Lithuania's "hostile" actions showed that Russia could not trust the West
Kaliningrad, capital of East Prussia, was captured from Nazi Germany by the Red Army in April 1945 and ceded to the Soviet Union after World War Two
It is sandwiched between NATO members Poland and Lithuania
Nikolai Patrushev, a former KGB spy who is now the secretary of Russia's Security Council, added it would respond in such a way that the citizens of the NATO and European Union member would feel the pain.

With East-West relations at a half-century low over Russia's February 24 invasion of Ukraine, Lithuania banned the transit of goods sanctioned by the EU through its territory to and from the exclave, citing EU sanction rules.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:56 am This type of specific-for-generic confusion is, of course, not age-specific, as anyone knows who's been asked in the last decade or two to 'xerox' something at work. :)
This is also a problem with the navy in general though.

Look at how over the years the definitions of dreadnaught, battleship, battlecruiser, cruiser, frigate, destroyer, corvette, etc mean to specific navies at specific times. TBH, I think they have always been less of a military taxonomy and more marketing terms used by shipyards and contractors to really big clients.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

neeneko wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:57 am
Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:56 am This type of specific-for-generic confusion is, of course, not age-specific, as anyone knows who's been asked in the last decade or two to 'xerox' something at work. :)

Look at how over the years the definitions of dreadnaught, battleship, battlecruiser, cruiser, frigate, destroyer, corvette, etc mean to specific navies at specific times. TBH, I think they have always been less of a military taxonomy and more marketing terms used by shipyards and contractors to really big clients.
Yes, and in fairness, I'll admit I have used some of the more obscure terms in my Star Trek RPG campaign because as we see from the existance of Birds of Prey, Warbirds, etc., not every other fleet categorizes their ships the same way Starfleet does. The first time I ever referred to something that Starfleet would call a 'Light Frigate' in game-ship design terms as a 'Corvette', I think one of my players had to bite back "What the f*ck is that?" It was ... sublime. :)
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Having attended a lecture by Dr Wikipedia there is an international standard for those names. Its in the naval controls treaty. Of i forget what year, but whatever.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Ben-Prime wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:30 pm
neeneko wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:57 am

Yes, and in fairness, I'll admit I have used some of the more obscure terms in my Star Trek RPG campaign because as we see from the existance of Birds of Prey, Warbirds, etc., not every other fleet categorizes their ships the same way Starfleet does. The first time I ever referred to something that Starfleet would call a 'Light Frigate' in game-ship design terms as a 'Corvette', I think one of my players had to bite back "What the f*ck is that?" It was ... sublime. :)
"Through deck cruiser"

:rotflmao:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invincibl ... ft_carrier
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Tiredretiredlawyer

:popcorn:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”