Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Russia Invades Ukraine

Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Re: Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Slarti the White »

Suranis wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:15 pm Thing is, even if only 10% of Russian missiles work, that's still a LOT of damage.

Of course you have to wonder what the USA is doing with these expensive Death Boxes if the Russians ones are just firecrackers of rust. And sooner or later someone is going to ask that question.
That's a good question, but I disagree with your first point. Russia will not attack the Ukraine with hundreds of strategic weapons -- such an attack (especially if only 10% of the missiles worked) would provoke a unified NATO response that could only end with regime change (and given what we've seen, Russia is ill-equipped to fight a combined NATO attack). No, they would most likely attack with a few tactical devices at first -- something that doesn't seem well-suited to do significant damage to Ukraine's forces, especially if only a few of them worked. And given that even a tactical nuclear attack would likely have severe repercussions from NATO, it will never be anything other than a completely insane last resort. Which is not to say that it couldn't happen, but I highly doubt it would be a game-changer in Russia's favor.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:58 am
Suranis wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:01 pm Courthouse News Service gets a very positive rating from Mediabias Factcheck

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/courthouse-news-service/
Maybe so, but there are also MANY articles about border posts being jammed with guys scrambling to get out of Russia and beyond the reach of conscription, and protestors actually invading recruitment centres and shooting up the staff.

And it sounds like there are a heck of a lot more Russians trying to get out than Americans trying to get to Canada during Viet Nam and shooting up the recruiting centre seems a bit more serious than marching into the office and singing a few refrains of the Alice's Restaurant Massacre.
But that was a movement!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Slarti the White wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:06 am
Suranis wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:15 pm Thing is, even if only 10% of Russian missiles work, that's still a LOT of damage.

Of course you have to wonder what the USA is doing with these expensive Death Boxes if the Russians ones are just firecrackers of rust. And sooner or later someone is going to ask that question.
That's a good question, but I disagree with your first point. Russia will not attack the Ukraine with hundreds of strategic weapons -- such an attack (especially if only 10% of the missiles worked) would provoke a unified NATO response that could only end with regime change (and given what we've seen, Russia is ill-equipped to fight a combined NATO attack). No, they would most likely attack with a few tactical devices at first -- something that doesn't seem well-suited to do significant damage to Ukraine's forces, especially if only a few of them worked. And given that even a tactical nuclear attack would likely have severe repercussions from NATO, it will never be anything other than a completely insane last resort. Which is not to say that it couldn't happen, but I highly doubt it would be a game-changer in Russia's favor.
I would think that any use of a nuclear weapon would be treated as an attack on NATO itself, or at least provoke a response from several NATO countries. As it is, I don't see many ways that don't end in either the toppling of Putin in Russia after a complete military defeat, or Putin provoking direct military involvement of the US and/or NATO leading to the same.

After the death of Stalin, the Soviet Union's government was dominated by the idea that never again would one man be so powerful again. :hammersickle: The Politburo worked for Stalin, but every leader after that worked for the Politburo until it all fell down. I think Russia is gonna go through that again, one way or another. I predict Putin is gonna die of a Kalishna-cough this winter.

:resist:

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Mikhail Kalashnikov had a great influence upon my Numbah Two Son.

One day we were discussing godonlyknowswhat in the car, and the AK-47 somehow came up, and I asked my boys - insufferable smartypantser that I am - what the AK in AK-47 stood for (Avtomat Kalashnikova), and I told them that Mr. Kalashnikov had invented the gun.

I was driving, and in the farthest back seat of the van, a wee small voice piped up:

"You can invent a gun?"

Keep in mind, we had no idea the kid was a genius at that point, he was five.

Anyway, he proceeded to invent about a million guns, my god he ran us out of scotch tape and copy paper. Here he explains how you can make your own targeting pistol.

Thank you, Mikhail. :roll:

Out from under. :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

That was great, but the video got cut off before completion of the gun. What happened - did he run out of tape?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:39 am That was great, but the video got cut off before completion of the gun. What happened - did he run out of tape?
Or did the FBI, CIA, and DHS kick the door in? Can’t have any young geniuses inventing their own gun :fingerwag: :fingerwag:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Yeah, that kid is now a math major at UNC Wilmington, and he turned 21 this month (born 4 days after :doh: before 9/11), so I don't remember what happened at the end of the vid, lo these many moons ago.

IIRC, back then didn't YouTube have a max video length, unless you asked for longer? They might have cut it short automatically. :shrug:
Edit: dummy
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I found this podcast a few weeks ago and am now addicted. Mostly daily shows 20 to 30 minutes long. Learning a lot.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1638824715
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:16 am
Off Topic

"You can invent a gun?"
Off Topic
When he was eight, my grandson made a blowgun out of roofing nails, post-it notes, hot glue, and a three foot length of 1/2” PVC. It was alarmingly accurate.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Here's the whole thread -
Fascinating story. Russians "trapped" into serving in the military. A recommended read.

A discussion I heard compared the current Russian protest to what the US experienced during Vietnam.

And that's like comparing apples to tennis rackets! 1/6

US society (& young men) protested the Vietnam war because they believed it was immoral and most believed it was not in the national interest.

There is more to why RU men are refusing service:

1. Most haven't been trained (they served in RU army because they had to...2/

...the choice was service or jail
2. They have no trust in RU's way of war.
3. These are not "reservist" as the US knows them. US reserves train with their units, have skills. RU have not, do not.
3. These men have seen RU's soldiers killed in droves in Ukraine. 3/

4. RU recruits/soldiers know their officers & sergeants are corrupt & don't care. There is no trust in leaders.
5. Most RU recruits are afraid; while fear is common in all new soldiers, trust in leaders & comrades and in equipment/doctrine/the cause mitigates fear. 4/

6. RU is employing "blocking units." Those are units that prevent desertion, shoot deserters. It takes the concept of "kill the enemy or be killed" to another level: "kill the enemy or be killed by either him or us."
7. Unprepared as individuals, not part of a team...5/

...lack of trust in leaders, no belief in a cause, little chance for survival, no support from citizens all contribute to failure.

Yeah, 300,000 mobilized. Premeditated murder of his own army by Putin.

More disaster. 6/6
The item I highlighted really surprised me. I had been wondering why the recruits didn't just desert once they got to Ukraine. Now I know why.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Yes.

Ukraine presented no threat to Russia.

All Russia had to do was nothing to avoid an attack by Ukraine.

This war is about Putin's ambition, nothing else.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

He has to annex half of Ukraine so he has a place to draft people to fight a war in Ukraine.

:rimshot:

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.axios.com/2022/09/29/finlan ... ists-draft
Finland announced Thursday that at midnight local time its border will be officially closed to Russian tourists wishing to cross into the country, Reuters reported.

Driving the news: Finland, along with several other countries neighboring Russia, announced plans last week to bar entry for Russian tourists amid an influx of Russians attempting to flee conscription.

The large flow of Russians into the country could present a danger to Finland's international relations, Finnish Foreign Minister Pekka Haavisto said at a press conference Thursday, per Reuters.

Those seeking to cross the border for family visits, work or study will still be permitted.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Foggy »

Lyman has fallen to the Ukrainians, but they're not really allowed to stay there after Putin annexed the area yesterday. They are just not listening!
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Ben-Prime »

Foggy wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:50 pm Lyman has fallen to the Ukrainians, but they're not really allowed to stay there after Putin annexed the area yesterday. They are just not listening!
You're not seeing the bigger picture, Foggy.

But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Volkonski
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”