Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Russia Invades Ukraine

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Foggy »

I am ordering each of the newly mobilized reservists to flap their arms and talk like a duck.

I mean, as long as we're giving orders that can't possibly be enforced ... :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
humblescribe
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by humblescribe »

This might help, Foggy.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
much ado

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by much ado »

Probably get some more ideas here
RVInit

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by RVInit »

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Volkonski
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
p0rtia

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by p0rtia »

Wow. That should be a must-watch for every sane American.

It's all about the competing realities, ain't it.

Thanks for that, Volkonski.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by RTH10260 »

Beware of upper floor windows :twisted:
Sam the Centipede

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Sam the Centipede »

RTH10260 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:55 pm Beware of upper floor windows :twisted:
In Russia, fall from basement window can be fatal.
Volkonski
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Volkonski »

Clearly western sanctions on Russia are not working. They need to be tougher.

Also need to provide Ukraine with better weapons.
Volkonski
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by RTH10260 »

Russia recruiting Afghan special forces who fought with US to fight in Ukraine
Russians want to attract thousands of former elite commandos who fear being returned to Taliban-controlled homeland from Iran

Associated Press
Mon 31 Oct 2022 20.23 GMT

Afghan special forces soldiers who fought alongside American troops and then fled to Iran after the chaotic US withdrawal last year are now being recruited by the Russian military to fight in Ukraine, three former Afghan generals have told the Associated Press.

They said the Russians want to attract thousands of the former elite Afghan commandos into a “foreign legion” with offers of steady, $1,500-a-month payments and promises of safe havens for themselves and their families so they can avoid deportation home to what many assume would be death at the hands of the Taliban.

“They don’t want to go fight – but they have no choice,” said one of the generals, Abdul Raof Arghandiwal, adding that the dozen or so commandos in Iran with whom he has texted fear deportation most. “They ask me, ‘Give me a solution? What should we do? If we go back to Afghanistan, the Taliban will kill us.’”

Arghandiwal said the recruiting was led by the Russian mercenary force Wagner Group. Another general, Hibatullah Alizai, the last Afghan army chief before the Taliban took over, said the effort was also being helped by a former Afghan special forces commander who lived in Russia and speaks the language.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... ecruitment
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Maybenaut »

Once they discover that unlike the US the Russian Federation will not outfit them with reliable weapons and ammunition, that $1500, even if they get it, won’t be enough.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Slim Cognito »

If the Taliban doesn't get them, Ukraine, or Putin, will.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Foggy »

Yes, and again, it was Frank Herbert who taught me, the uglier and harsher the environment you grow up in and the lower your chances are of actually surviving your childhood, the tougher you will have to be in order to manage to survive. And the few survivors truly are scary tough, more than a match for any of us liberal urban civilized weaklings.

Which is why I say, I'm not scared of weak and insecure babies like Donald Trump or MTG, who live and die based on approval from others. I'm afraid of the people coming out of Syria and Iraq and Ukraine over the next dozen years, the survivors of the early 21st century. One of them is going to rise up and cause all kinds of chaos.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Dave from down under

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-02/ ... /101603720

Putin's conscripts can end up at Ukraine's largest POW camp. They can only hope for a trade

Not all wish to talk to visiting media and, under the Geneva Convention, they cannot be forced to, yet several willingly agree to tell their stories.

They tell tales of deception and misinformation, and often in their final days on the battlefield, of abandonment by more senior officers in their units.

As happens in desperate situations, each account could be embellished, and all may be self-serving.

We recount them here in good faith, after testing them through questioning, as much rigour as we can apply on a half-day prison visit.

etc
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Slim Cognito »

I shudder to think how Ukrainian POWs are treated.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Russia Invades Ukraine

Slim Cognito wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:09 am I shudder to think how Ukrainian POWs are treated.
The Ukrainian soldiers may have some Geneva Convention protection

The Ukrainian civilians “relocated” to Russia probably have no protection
Dave from down under

Russia Invades Ukraine

No protection at all...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-03/ ... /101597260

Inside the grim chambers where hundreds of Ukrainians were held captive by Russian soldiers

:snippity:

Uncovering a house of horrors
Whenever Ukrainian villages, towns and cities are liberated, the horrors of life under Russian occupation are revealed for all to see.

In September, the Ukrainian army launched what is now considered one of the greatest counter-offensives in modern warfare.

In the Kharkiv region, 10,000 square kilometres of territory was recaptured in just a month.

After these areas were retaken, local police say they found 23 torture chambers where civilians like Garagatyi had been held and interrogated.

During the occupation it was common for Russian forces to take over local police stations and turn them into jails and interrogation centres.

In some cases, men and women were jailed and tortured simply for being patriotic.

"In these places, people with pro-Ukrainian views were brought here," says Serhii Bolvinov, chief investigator of the Kharkiv Regional Police.

In the days after the city of Izyum was liberated, Bolvinov took Foreign Correspondent for a tour through the local police station as his team of investigators gathered evidence of torture and war crimes there.

"Any civilian they disliked could be brought in," he says. "In other torture chambers, they captured people whose brothers or other relatives were in the armed forces of Ukraine.
:snippity:
Chilidog

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Chilidog »

It looks like the Ukrainians captured Major Moobs of the Russian Army
► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... 5-december
For centuries Ukrainians have celebrated Christmas on 7 January, the date on which Jesus was born, according to the Julian calendar.

But following Vladimir Putin’s invasion in February, the Orthodox church of Ukraine is allowing its congregations for the first time to celebrate Christmas on 25 December, in a move away from Russia and towards the west.

The issue of when to celebrate Christmas has been a matter of longstanding debate in Ukraine.

The church has traditionally observed Christmas on 7 January, at the same time as the Moscow patriarchy, which has blessed Putin’s war. Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Orthodox church, is a prominent Putin supporter and has said Russian soldiers who are killed will be cleansed of all their sins.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Suranis »

Some countries give their gifts on January 6th, the Feast of the Epiphany, so they could switch to that. Of course, if you are going by the Julian calendar, that's Jan 19th so you cant win...
Hic sunt dracones
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Ben-Prime »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:49 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... 5-december
For centuries Ukrainians have celebrated Christmas on 7 January, the date on which Jesus was born, according to the Julian calendar.

But following Vladimir Putin’s invasion in February, the Orthodox church of Ukraine is allowing its congregations for the first time to celebrate Christmas on 25 December, in a move away from Russia and towards the west.

The issue of when to celebrate Christmas has been a matter of longstanding debate in Ukraine.

The church has traditionally observed Christmas on 7 January, at the same time as the Moscow patriarchy, which has blessed Putin’s war. Patriarch Kirill, the head of the Russian Orthodox church, is a prominent Putin supporter and has said Russian soldiers who are killed will be cleansed of all their sins.
This article was literally my first full-on-awake-over-breakfast-and-coffee read at the Embassy this morning (I usually order breakfast in our cafeteria there to safe messing up my kitchen first thing every morning) and I was enthralled by it.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Gregg

Russia Invades Ukraine

Post by Gregg »

Ben-Prime wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:12 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:49 am https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... 5-december

This article was literally my first full-on-awake-over-breakfast-and-coffee read at the Embassy this morning (I usually order breakfast in our cafeteria there to safe messing up my kitchen first thing every morning) and I was enthralled by it.
Off Topic
Is there any way I could persuade you to mail me a holiday card with a London postmark? I'd pay for it, but I want the envelope and the postmark, also if they have the Charles III monogram stamps even better
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.

Return to “Russian Invasion of Ukraine”