Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

American Peoples Convoy Protest

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
pipistrelle

Re: American Peoples Convoy Protest

Post by pipistrelle »

Was Steve with 1776 one of the J6ers? He's walking around the Capitol now with a bullhorn, bloviating about "constitutional republic" and wondering why the scaffolding is there when you hardly ever see anyone working on it. The locals want to know too, he says.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:35 am Was Steve with 1776 one of the J6ers? He's walking around the Capitol now with a bullhorn, bloviating about "constitutional republic" and wondering why the scaffolding is there when you hardly ever see anyone working on it. The locals want to know too, he says.
You talking about old Letterman beard man? I dunno if he was at J6, but I do know he is a Bundy KKKlan supporter, so that tells ya all you need to know.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Note, this is not the National Mall -- this is about the campground they retreated to in Virginia.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Since they're at Bunker Hill, I'd like to suggest we send in some British redcoats with muskets, see whether they really qualify for a 1776 restoration movement or not. I'm thinking not. But I didn't watch any of the livestreams from the original battle back in 1775, so it's a valid experiment and I expect funding. :mrgreen:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

I’ve been telling people most campgrounds don’t allow sleeping in cars. Someone (not me) may have reported them.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:40 am
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:35 am Was Steve with 1776 one of the J6ers? He's walking around the Capitol now with a bullhorn, bloviating about "constitutional republic" and wondering why the scaffolding is there when you hardly ever see anyone working on it. The locals want to know too, he says.
You talking about old Letterman beard man? I dunno if he was at J6, but I do know he is a Bundy KKKlan supporter, so that tells ya all you need to know.
That guy. Some of the commenters think he’s been told to stay away from the Capitol. :shrug:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:48 am I’ve been telling people most campgrounds don’t allow sleeping in cars. Someone (not me) may have reported them.
There's also a limit of six people per campsite, so they will have to pay for multiple sites.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Northern Virginia woods are also loaded with ticks.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:26 pm Northern Virginia woods are also loaded with ticks.
I would imagine they are probably safer from them as they stay in the cleared campsites as this is a county-owned campsite. The county apparently monitors it, so they may put up alerts if an area is at an increased risk. If they have any dogs, they may run into some trouble as I don't see them being all that careful about letting them run off the trail into the brush where the ticks like to hang out.

Still, you have to check often. Bug repellant is also useful, though I avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

I have rarely found ticks around very much in my outdoor hiking and camping except on one hike. We were hiking on a less maintained property, so there was a fair amount of overgrowth hanging over the so-called trail to the lake. I found a tick crawling up me, and then another, so we went back to the car, and I had to knock a few more off (and check myself). Ironically, the lake is named Lime Lake (spelled wrong but still funny).
101010 :towel:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:50 am
neonzx wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:40 am
That guy. Some of the commenters think he’s been told to stay away from the Capitol. :shrug:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:36 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:26 pm Northern Virginia woods are also loaded with ticks.
I would imagine they are probably safer from them as they stay in the cleared campsites as this is a county-owned campsite. The county apparently monitors it, so they may put up alerts if an area is at an increased risk. If they have any dogs, they may run into some trouble as I don't see them being all that careful about letting them run off the trail into the brush where the ticks like to hang out.

Still, you have to check often. Bug repellant is also useful, though I avoid it unless absolutely necessary.

I have rarely found ticks around very much in my outdoor hiking and camping except on one hike. We were hiking on a less maintained property, so there was a fair amount of overgrowth hanging over the so-called trail to the lake. I found a tick crawling up me, and then another, so we went back to the car, and I had to knock a few more off (and check myself). Ironically, the lake is named Lime Lake (spelled wrong but still funny).
A cousin stays in a big clearing on a north Virginia campground. They still manage to pick up ticks. One made his daughter pass out (once they found and removed the tick, she slowly improved). Someone watching the restream thought one of the older women was picking them off but not in the right way. Who knows, but they are a bane in some parts of the country more than others.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Paging Maybenaut. Maybenaut, please pick up the white courtesy telephone and tell us about ticks. Everybody who doesn't know the story, be prepared. Her life was permanently affected by a tick.

In my wayward youth, we used to drip rubbing alcohol on ticks to make them unhook, or even burn them with cigarettes. But ticks are a bigger threat vector today.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Slim Cognito wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:22 am Except the prefab stuff is cheap and the good stuff is expensive. I can buy a burger for a couple of bucks at a fast food place but if I want a salad, I have to walk into a grocery store and pay $7 for it.

And don't get me started on trying to fill up two teenage boys on a minimum wage salary and an ex who won't pay child support. We ate a LOT of tuna helper and ramen. (oldest one has some pretty interesting ramen recipes bc of that experience.)

(ok, I'm started. Luckily for me, and I realize how very lucky I was, my parents were in a position to help me.)
I remember the time in the late 90s, before my mother moved across the street from me in the same condo complex, when she still technically lived in the townhouse 20 miles away from which she had evicted me (long story, but we we working on mending fences before this later thing happened); she called me as I was leaving work and said "Don't eat dinner. I'm picking you up around 7ish. It's my treat." Now, we hadn't fully buried that hatchet, but we were 'alright' so far as it went, and so I was a little curious.

She picked me up, we went for some Thai food, and as we were eating, she said "So there's a catch." Mom was at that point a child abuse investigator, and she had been put on a case the day before and had interviewed the family that same morning as our dinner. Turns out there was no neglect, the mother had started a new job but that first paycheck was coming in late as first paychecks often do with payroll being set up for the new employee, and a nosy but well intentioned neighbor had heard the kids in the yard complain about being hungry.

Mom said "Technically, I can't do what we're going to do tonight, so I need you to do it."

Mom bought about 20 or 30 dollars worth of groceries, and once night had fallen, had me do a drop, ding, and dash. I put the grocery bags on the doorstep, pushed the bell, and ran as fast as my fat ass could run down the street to her waiting (with lights off) car. We rolled a bit forward until we were out of sight, then she turned on her headlights and we zoomyzoomzoomed out of there.

My mother could be a good egg. But even then, I remember being astonished at how much of a 30 dollar budget to feed a family of 3 (Single Mom, 2 primary school age kids) had to be things like pasta and rice and sit-in-the-stomach carbs. It was enough to get that family over the hump, I'm sure. But I've always remembered that.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 pm Paging Maybenaut. Maybenaut, please pick up the white courtesy telephone and tell us about ticks. Everybody who doesn't know the story, be prepared. Her life was permanently affected by a tick.
Yeah, somebody on the re-stream said maybe one of them would get that "allergic to meat" thing. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:18 pm Paging Maybenaut. Maybenaut, please pick up the white courtesy telephone and tell us about ticks. Everybody who doesn't know the story, be prepared. Her life was permanently affected by a tick.

In my wayward youth, we used to drip rubbing alcohol on ticks to make them unhook, or even burn them with cigarettes. But ticks are a bigger threat vector today.
I remember elders using the heat from the flame of matches (not directly on the skin) to get them to pull-out/off of me.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

No sleeping in cars

There are 2 group sites that will fit 18 people.

They are not made for 18 people sleeping in vehicles.

1776 never met a rule it's unwilling to break.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
LM K

Post by LM K »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:13 pm So it's like Ma and Pa are living in a tiny apartment with an enormous gross pig.

Who was sent by God.

Who has a sick sense of humor. :biggrin:
Sources have confirmed that Santa admitted that Ma and Pa sleep above the truck cabin.

But I'm sure he graciously assists them up and down from that "bed". Everyday, even.
LM K

Post by LM K »

pipistrelle wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 pm At least one is claiming they still have the permit through its end date (I think Monday). I'm not sure why it matters. They are never in the permit area except that's where the portapotties are. I'd run them off if I were the park supervisor. 8-)
They're desperate to "show the lefties" that DC loves them. They've done e eruthing except say "we lost our permit".

In fact, Santa claims that police apologized for arresting people in 1776. One officer gave Santa a fist bump, "thanks for standing up for us", and his private phone number.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

LM K wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:12 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:24 pm At least one is claiming they still have the permit through its end date (I think Monday). I'm not sure why it matters. They are never in the permit area except that's where the portapotties are. I'd run them off if I were the park supervisor. 8-)
They're desperate to "show the lefties" that DC loves them. They've done e eruthing except say "we lost our permit".

In fact, Santa claims that police apologized for arresting people in 1776. One officer gave Santa a fist bump, "thanks for standing up for us", and his private phone number.
I saw him say that and didn't believe a word of it. That said, I believe that if this were 24 to 30 Black men, we'd be talking body count, or at least imprisonment of some kind.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:45 pm

I remember elders using the heat from the flame of matches (not directly on the skin) to get them to pull-out/off of me.
I have a tick key on my keychain and a spare in my camera bag. And alcohol swabs. I don't know if they do any good but I rub the area with alcohol after removal. And I probably should get a mini magnifier 'cause some of those things are damn small.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Yesterday a group (Chinese Christian group? Drat my bad hearing) donated food. Personally, I think it came from Falun Gong. :biggrin: They didn't know what any of it was called ("rice, chicken and broccoli") but said it was so good. Their viewers kept going on about it. Food is a motivator for these people. They're spending all their time on live chat, so I'm gonna guess they're not actually hurting for money or food, or not severely.

One of them, a 47-year-old woman, drove some of it back to the campground. I'm going to assume she was on an interstate or at least a highway. She was reading her live chat the entire way while driving. 1 second with eyes on the road, 5-10 seconds reading, then answering questions. Someone said, well, newer cars practically drive themselves. Yeah, no. It was horrifying. I hoped she'd at some point gently rear-end a state trooper just hard enough to piss them off.

I do think they are over the moon at all the comments and free stuff they're getting for sitting around.
LM K

Post by LM K »

Off Topic
neonzx wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:16 am
Off Topic
Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:54 am And we still feel the need to eat more than necessary, even though our next meal is not going to be days away. That's engrained in our systems, the same as violence.

'Course, there are good things engrained in us as a result of being tribal and living in primitive circumstances, too also. I'm not going to say it was all bad. We ... most of us ... care for each other.

Prove me wrong. :biggrin:
Processed, package and marketed foods, LOADED with sugar. Sugar is addictive as cocaine. Consider yourself proven wrong as you sip your beverage of High Fructose Corn Syrup. :batting:
Hotly debated.

Is sugar really as addictive as cocaine? Scientists row over effect on body and brain

Regardless of what the majority "verdict" becomes, the term addictive is grossly misused. My migraine keeps me from explaining that in more detail.

Massive error in the artice: One pediatrician states that sugar is "on a par with nicotine, rather than drugs like heroin." in it's addictive qualities.

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin. The doctor's assertion must be corrected, migraine be damned.
LM K

Post by LM K »

He is a J6er. The FBI was, (perhaps still is) investigating him.
LM K

Post by LM K »

pipistrelle wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:48 am I’ve been telling people most campgrounds don’t allow sleeping in cars. Someone (not me) may have reported them.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
LM K

Post by LM K »

People at BH have commented on livestream that they found ticks on their body. Folks are finding ticks and have been for a while.

I fully expect an outbreak of Lyme Disease amongst the 1776.

Return to “Current Politics”