Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

chancery
Verified:

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by chancery »

qbawl wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:15 pm
Off Topic
or most likely scenario falls victim to one of the imported 'drop bears' Ft. Knox was evaluating at the time.
Off Topic
Drop bears?
qbawl

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by qbawl »

chancery wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:43 pm
qbawl wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:15 pm
Off Topic
or most likely scenario falls victim to one of the imported 'drop bears' Ft. Knox was evaluating at the time.
Off Topic
Drop bears?
Off Topic
An obviously failed attempt at humor to hi-lite the unlikelihood of getting out of the duty, by mentioning highly improbable yet theoretically possible circumstances, then stating that a circumstance involving a non-existent critter is more likely. Sorry.
much ado

Post by much ado »

Off Topic
I've always loved the mythical Australian "drop bears" since I first found out about them.

Here is the famous vintage Bundaberg ad that introduced me to them.

Sorry for the thread jack!
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

We used cotton balls and you always started by putting a few drops of lighter fluid in the polish and lighting it, letting the top melt a bit and put the lid on it to put out the fire. The put clean water in the lid and use about 3 cubic meters of cotton balls.

Like I said, as soon as I got where no one was doing inspections all the time I bought two pairs of Jungle Boots (the tennis shoes of combat boots, actually had canvas uppers) and wiped them off with a damp rag at least once a month. My favorite refrain, even in the 101st Airborne was 'I'm not a soldier, I'm a pilot" or something to that effect.
:smoking:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

poplove wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:33 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:00 am In the Air Force, we used a tiny bit of perfume. The alcohol worked wonders. Perfume cleans mirrors, too. I had never worn perfume before joining and wondered why all my friends who were already serving insisted I take a bottle of the cheapest stuff I could find. (Yes, we were officially allowed a single bottle of perfume during basic training.)
Just so happens, today is the 50th :eek: anniversary of my Air Force enlistment. We were WAFs back then. I remember the shoe polishing with wet cotton balls and buffing to a nice shine with old panty hose. But we didn't know about the perfume. We also sprayed the inside of our berets with cheap hairspray so they would keep their shape.
Heathen !!!!!!

The only way to shape the mushroom lid beret is boil the beejazus out of the damn thing for 10 - 15 minutes, take out, wring dry, ice cold water for 10-15, wring and repeat a couple of times, final wring out from hot, let cool to less than scalding, place on head, shape and form, leave on head until dry, periodically stroking it like a Bond villains cat to keep the shape. When dry, roll with the flap side tucked in, store in a safe place when not in use so someone who has a beret the size and shape of a helicopter landing pad doesn't lift it.......
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Put helmet in helmet bag. Throw helmet bag in laundry annually.

Change cotton mic muff whenever the crew chief finds you a new one.

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

I think we need a thread devoted to 'how to make one's boots shine'.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Azastan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:19 pm I think we need a thread devoted to 'how to make one's boots shine'.
:think: "need" could have different meanings in this context…
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:11 pm
Azastan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:19 pm I think we need a thread devoted to 'how to make one's boots shine'.
Off Topic
I was think more along the lines of "My days of yore.... Military stories"
edit... more popped into my head.
"Glory days"
"That one time in boot camp..."
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

jez wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:30 pm
Sam the Centipede wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:11 pm
Off Topic
I was think more along the lines of "My days of yore.... Military stories"
edit... more popped into my head.
"Glory days"
"That one time in boot camp..."
Oh, when I was young...

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

:hijacked:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Azastan wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:14 pm:hijacked:
No shit, Sherlock.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Some topics feel a little more recreational than others and right or wrong i don't feel as bad hijacking them.

So go ahead and shoot me....

keith

Post by keith »

Gregg wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:44 pm Some topics feel a little more recreational than others and right or wrong i don't feel as bad hijacking them.

So go ahead and shoot me....

Hey, somebody's gotta stand guard duty. Otherwise whats the point of polishing all these boots?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I was in Canada when Elizabeth II died. I just want to say that I admired her greatly, not necessarily as a queen, but as a woman.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
June bug

Post by June bug »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:28 am I was in Canada when Elizabeth II died. I just want to say that I admired her greatly, not necessarily as a queen, but as a woman.
Thank you, Andy. I agree.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I admired her as a woman also.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:35 pm I admired her as a woman also.
Same here.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Me too. I don't need no stinkin' queens, but I'm a sucker for a strong-minded, intelligent, witty woman, and she made the list. And dogs. Anybody who loves dogs gets a + in my book, even if there are many - s.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

King Charles III’s official monogram design released by palace
Royal Mail also announces four stamps featuring portraits of the late Queen to be released in her memory

Jamie Grierson
Tue 27 Sep 2022 00.00 BST

The King’s new monogram has been revealed ahead of the official period of royal mourning for the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, coming to an end.

Charles’s cypher will appear on government buildings, state documents and on some postboxes in the coming months and years.

The cypher features the King’s initial “C” intertwined with the letter “R” for Rex – Latin for king – with “III” denoting Charles III, with the crown above the letters.

Colour version of King’s monogram.
The design was selected by the King from a series of designs prepared by the College of Arms. Photograph: Buckingham Palace/PA
The new monarch travelled to Scotland soon after the Queen’s funeral last Monday, with the period of royal mourning lasting for seven days after the late Queen’s burial.

The monogram is Charles’s personal property and was selected by the monarch from a series of designs prepared by the College of Arms. A Scottish version features the Scottish crown, and was approved by Lord Lyon King of Arms.

It will be used by government departments and by the royal household for franking mail. The decision to replace cyphers will be at the discretion of individual organisations.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -by-palace

keith

Post by keith »

That's all well and good, but when do they make an official portrait available for hanging on Post Offices, Returned Services League Halls, and Croquet Club walls?

I gotta group of testy croquet ladies (most of the gents couldn't give a stuff to be honest) that want to have a good Captain Cook while they are toasting him.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

keith wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:00 am That's all well and good, but when do they make an official portrait available for hanging on Post Offices, Returned Services League Halls, and Croquet Club walls?

I gotta group of testy croquet ladies (most of the gents couldn't give a stuff to be honest) that want to have a good Captain Cook while they are toasting him.
Beefeater Uniforms. When are they gonna change the Beefeater uniforms? And the new coins, too. I wanna see the new shilling! Well, pound, no such animal as a shilling, but it's the thing I think when I think English coin. Charles will be the first English monarch to never have his portrait on a shilling since the pre Norman kings.

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

;) the Brexiteers have promised to bring back the ancient measurement units! Sovereignity! Now they have an additional reason :lol:
keith

Post by keith »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:36 am ;) the Brexiteers have promised to bring back the ancient measurement units! Sovereignity! Now they have an additional reason :lol:
Forget sovereigns we need Guineas for the races.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Yes, give us farthings and groats!

If the pound is gonna fall below a dollar they need things that are fractions of a penny again!

A farthing is 1/4 a penny, a groat is 4 pence, but a penny is no longer 1/100, its 1/240 because there are 20 pennies in a shilling and 12 shillings to a pound.

See what you get when you use money to buy food sold by the dozen? :mrgreen:

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”