Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Sam the Centipede

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:17 pm A farthing is 1/4 a penny, a groat is 4 pence, but a penny is no longer 1/100, its 1/240 because there are 20 pennies in a shilling and 12 shillings to a pound.
Your 12 and 20 are the wrong way round.

Amusingly when the UK decimalized its currency in 1971, 1 (old) penny was approximately worth 1 cent. In 2022, 1 (new) penny is approximately worth 1 cent.

Unfortunately for the Brits, that means £1=$2.40 in 1971 but £1=$1 in 2022.

The still sell horses in guineas: 1 guinea = 21 shillings = £1.10.

When Australia decimalized the government (when? I diunno) took a different route. They changed from pounds, shillings and pence to dollars and cents with AUS$2 = AUS£1, so pennies and cents were roughly equivalent.

I was working in Finland when they switched from markka to euros. That was fun!
Sam the Centipede

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:17 pm A farthing is 1/4 a penny, a groat is 4 pence, but a penny is no longer 1/100, its 1/240 because there are 20 pennies in a shilling and 12 shillings to a pound.

Amusingly when the UK decimalized its currency in 1971, 1 (old) penny was approximately worth 1 cent. In 2022, 1 (new) penny is approximately worth 1 cent.

Unfortunately for the Brits, that means £1=$2.40 in 1971 but £1=$1 in 2022.

The still sell horses in guineas: 1 guinea = 21 shillings = £1.10.

When Australia decimalized the government (when? I diunno) took a different route. They changed from pounds, shillings and pence to dollars and cents with AUS$2 = AUS£1, so pennies and cents were roughly equivalent.

I was working in Finland when they switched from markka to euros. That was fun!
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:31 pm

:snippity:
???

Are you saying there are 20 shillings in a penny and 12 pence in a pound?

ETA... oh, no, you're right, I went brain dead...

There are 12 pennies in a shilling, and 20 shillings to a pound, that was just a little mini stroke. and gimme a break, I was 7 when they switched.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:31 pm
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

King Charles III 50p coin unveiled ahead of circulation this year
New monarch depicted facing left on Royal Mint’s new coin designs, the opposite way to Queen Elizabeth II

Tom Ambrose
Fri 30 Sep 2022 00.01 BST

A new 50p design featuring an image of King Charles III has been unveiled by the Royal Mint and will enter circulation by the end of the year.

Meanwhile, a special memorial coin range commemorating Queen Elizabeth II will be released on Monday at 9am. Charles’ portrait will appear on a £5 crown and a 50p celebrating the Queen.

Nicola Howell, chief commercial officer at the Royal Mint, told the PA news agency: “We expect customers will start to be able to receive the commemorative range from October and then we expect the 50p memorial circulating coin to be appearing in people’s change probably from December.”

The King’s effigy, which has received the personal approval of Charles, was created by sculptor Martin Jennings, the Mint said. As is tradition, the King’s portrait will face to the left, the opposite direction from Queen Elizabeth II.

Chris Barker, of the Royal Mint Museum, said: “Charles has followed that general tradition that we have in British coinage, going all the way back to Charles II actually, that the monarch faces in the opposite direction to their predecessor.”

The Latin inscription surrounding the effigy reads: “:: CHARLES III :: D :: G :: REX :: F :: D :: 5 POUNDS :: 2022”, which translates to: “King Charles III, by the Grace of God, Defender of the Faith”.

The design will start to appear on circulating and commemorative coins produced over the coming months.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... -this-year
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

New monarch depicted facing left on Royal Mint’s new coin designs, the opposite way to Queen Elizabeth II
:think: backward looking? The last of UK monarchy?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:57 am
:think: backward looking? The last of UK monarchy?
Nah, just tradition. Each new monarch traditionally faces the opposite direction of the one before. When Prince William becomes King he'll be facing right.
Sam the Centipede

Kriselda Gray wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:11 am :snippity:
Nah, just tradition. Each new monarch traditionally faces the opposite direction of the one before. When Prince William becomes King he'll be facing right.
Give it a few years: William V will be a hologram image so you can look at him from any direction on the coin.

If there are any coins then.
sterngard friegen

King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by sterngard friegen »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:23 pm
much ado wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 pm
The doctor who cleared him, didn't really consider her a Bond girl as she was only in that scene. For me a Bond girl needs to appear at least twice....
Molly was in two separate scenes. First, the scene with Bond, M and the brain trust assembled to discuss Renard's* brain injury. Second, the scene with Bond in which he propositions her.

*Irony alert.

PS: I'm not back. Very busy representing wildfire victims. But I look in occasionally.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Even if only occasionally, Stern, I know I’m not the only one who’s celebrating! :bighug: :bighug: to you and the wildfire victims you’re helping!

:groupdance: :bunny: :cheer2: :cheer1: :fiesta:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

June bug wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:39 pm Even if only occasionally, Stern, I know I’m not the only one who’s celebrating! :bighug: :bighug: to you and the wildfire victims you’re helping!

:groupdance: :bunny: :cheer2: :cheer1: :fiesta:
:yeahthat:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

:like: :like:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:thankyou: :thankyou: :thankyou:

About damn time. Some of us worry.

:bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:dance: :dance: :dance: Stern checked in!!!!!! :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
much ado

Post by much ado »

sterngard friegen wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:29 pm
Frater I*I wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:23 pm
much ado wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 pm
The doctor who cleared him, didn't really consider her a Bond girl as she was only in that scene. For me a Bond girl needs to appear at least twice....
Molly was in two separate scenes. First, the scene with Bond, M and the brain trust assembled to discuss Renard's* brain injury. Second, the scene with Bond in which he propositions her.

*Irony alert.

PS: I'm not back. Very busy representing wildfire victims. But I look in occasionally.
Glad to hear from you, Stern! Hope you can check in more often.

So Frater, is Molly a Bond girl after all?
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

sterngard friegen wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:29 pm PS: I'm not back. Very busy representing wildfire victims. But I look in occasionally.
Still, it's good to hear from you.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
:like:

:bighug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

much ado wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:49 pm :snippity:

So Frater, is Molly a Bond girl after all?
Yep...I guess it's been a long while since I've watched TWNE, and a pity, since I feel it was the best of the Brosnan run....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

:hijacked: :hijacked: :hijacked:

Clean up on aisle 2, please.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

May 6th.

Only 2000 guests. Elizabeth had 8000.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

In the meetup tonight we talked about the earlier predictions, and I didn't get the exact date but I was at least in the ballpark...
Kriselda Gray wrote: ↑Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:16 pm
Have they announced when the coronation will be yet? That's something I'd really like to see.
Gregg Wrote
That will be at least several months, perhaps a year. They like to do things when the weather is nice so look for maybe in June or July. Although the Trooping the Color is usually the second Saturday in June so they may do it in April or May to get ahead of that.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

I was just joking with my department head about how my team's usual expected role in helping with certain support activities prior to a VIP visit will -- with respect to the coronation -- be my last gift to Team London before I depart post. I literally leave just a few days after the coronation, so the setup and breakdown will basically be my swansong. Alas, the way the State Department does yearly reviews, none of it will matter, since my reivew period closes in mid-April, and the 'remainder' of my stay will be too short to file a supplemental. :crying:
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:36 pm May 6th.

Only 2000 guests. Elizabeth had 8000.
Well, Elizabeth was what? 24, 25? She had a lot of school friends, and disco buddies to help her celebrate. Chuck has had to watch many of his cohort move to the graveyard.

(Is Frater around? I need to find the door).
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I still :lovestruck: Elizabeth. :cry:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

keith wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:12 am :snippity:
(Is Frater around? I need to find the door).
Okay...so you head down this hall 300 paces, then you'll see the second left, don't go there, that leads to the tenth level of hell AKA central Georgia...

You'll need to take the immediate right...then another right....then another right...and yet, another right...

Yes I know it seems you just went in a circle, but the building was designed by Salvatore Dali...

Now you want to take your second left, head down the hall 200 pace, up and down the stairs, and you'll see the revolving door...

Once out, you of course can come in again...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”