Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Azastan
Verified:

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Azastan »

Emma, the Queen's Fell Pony. Emma was the last horse to be ridden by Queen Elizabeth.

Note the headscarf.
Emma, the Queen's Fell Pony and her groom..jpg
Emma, the Queen's Fell Pony and her groom..jpg (79.65 KiB) Viewed 994 times
much ado

Re: King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by much ado »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:23 pm
much ado wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:20 pm
:snippity:
The doctor who cleared him, didn't really consider her a Bond girl as she was only in that scene. For me a Bond girl needs to appear at least twice....
I'm not going to continue arguing this. As I said, your mileage may vary, as yours seems to do.

Dr. Molly Warmflash appears as James Bond Girl #66 in this exhaustive list of James Bond Girls...

https://www.007james.com/articles/list_ ... part_4.php
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:12 pm I know it was just the music, but it sounded like the horse farted at the end of that clip.
Whenever I fart, I blame the organ.

► Show Spoiler
101010 :towel:
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

sad-cafe wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:32 pm oh and one more thing.

camilla is still FUGLY-sour-and dour
She wasn't unattractive when she was younger. She was never gonna win a pure looks competition with Diana but she is definitely the one the King should have married first.

I know I'll get beat up for it but I have ALWAYS thought Diana was a spoiled Diva and despite the now accepted canon that she spent her life running from a hounding press, the fact is she spent a good deal of time telling them where to meet her. She certainly wasn't suited to be put in the position she ended up in, and the fact seems to be that Charles lived Camilla before he even met her, but I don't have as much sympathy for poor hounded Princess as the world in general has.

Her and Bobby Lee are 2 historical figures who I think history made Saints out of sinners.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

much ado wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:11 pm

I'm not going to continue arguing this. As I said, your mileage may vary, as yours seems to do.

I wasn't arguing, just showing how my mileage has varied :thumbsup:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
much ado

Post by much ado »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:32 pm

Okey, we're in agreement then. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:32 pm

The airline mechanic tweaking the odometer ;)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

South Africa demands return of 'world's largest diamond' from Queen's Crown Jewels
South Africa is demanding the return of the world’s largest known clear-cut diamond Great Star of Africa, or Cullinan l, from the Queen’s crown jewels following her death

South Africa is demanding the return of the world’s largest known clear-cut diamond from the Queen’s crown jewels.

Since the death of the Queen last week there has been growing calls in South Africa for the diamond, known as the Great Star of Africa, or Cullinan l, to be returned as they believe it is theirs.

The massive diamond is held on the end of a sceptre that belonged to the Queen and is part of a larger diamond which was gifted to the Royal Family after it was mined in South Africa in 1905 - when the country was under British rule.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... s-28006378
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sad-cafe wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:08 pm Did anyone think to themselves those soldiers were praying to GOD they wouldn't stumble or drop their portion of the casket?

man they were good
:yeahthat:

I watched an inordinate amount of funerary procession, and I think I got all the movements of the coffin from it's initial departure from Balmoral to the interment in St. George's. I was fascinated by the bearer (?) guard members and the pressure they were under (in all ways). It took me a while to realize they were the Same Guys. And the way I knew was because it was the guy in front on the right (as we watched the images) who looked so stressed--especially in comparison to the guy behind him. I was so happy on Monday when I saw that he'd calmed down a bit and was only focused, rather than freaked.

I like the historical ritual.
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

p0rtia wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:08 am
sad-cafe wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:08 pm Did anyone think to themselves those soldiers were praying to GOD they wouldn't stumble or drop their portion of the casket?

man they were good
:yeahthat:

I watched an inordinate amount of funerary procession, and I think I got all the movements of the coffin from it's initial departure from Balmoral to the interment in St. George's. I was fascinated by the bearer (?) guard members and the pressure they were under (in all ways). It took me a while to realize they were the Same Guys. And the way I knew was because it was the guy in front on the right (as we watched the images) who looked so stressed--especially in comparison to the guy behind him. I was so happy on Monday when I saw that he'd calmed down a bit and was only focused, rather than freaked.

I like the historical ritual.
Funeral Minutiae

The chaps who acted as the funeral bearers for Her Majesty were drawn from the Queens Company, 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards

the Queen was the Commander of the Company

They were on active deployment in Iraq at the time of the Queens death and were pulled back to prepare for the service

The Queen was the (nominal) Commander of the Company and presented the company with its Colours

You may have noted when the coffin was laid down for the funeral service, one of the first acts was the laying of the Company Colors (a small red flag) on the head of the coffin. This was presented by the Queen to the Company and will be buried with her.

The coffin was approximately 500 pounds in weight, seasoned English Oak with a sealed lead lining

The funeral bearers raised and lowered the coffin a total of 10 times including the non-recorded final movement of the coffin to its final resting place next to the Queens late husband Phillip.

A few US based observers whined that President Biden had to wait a whole couple of minutes to be seated, the reason was

A. As he was too "important" to come in the transport all the other Heads of Government came in, he came in The Beast which was delayed in traffic, rooky error by his protocol peeps
B. Due to his late arrival, he had to wait until the holders of the Victoria and George Crosses had been seated (equivalent of the CMoH, VC for the military, GC for civilians)
C. Biden didn't have a problem with this, only the (mostly) right wing cretins back in the USA

Health and Safety matter

You may have noted a particularly crisp and sharp crack with each footstep marched, particularly by the more ceremonial units in the funeral parade.

This was because they were wearing parade ground boots (back in the day called ammo boots) frequently issued with metal studs in the sole for that well defined sound.

Problem is they are typically worn only for ceremonial purposes have had hours and hours of "loving" care with polish, spit, candle, brush and cloth to attain and maintain a mirror like finish and as such are NEVER EVER as well broken in and comfortable as the regular boots.

I would expect a lot of blisters and blood after the parades, multiple and various
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Have not read up....
In the USA..it's called a funeral, but in the UK..it's called a "deposit"
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Thank you Mr. B for the trivia.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

As for the ceremonial boots. I knew a few people in the Army who had served in the 3rd Infantry, "The Old Guard". They spend weeks getting a pair of boots pretty enough to wear. They have what I always thought were tap dancing things in the heels.

I never, ever in 9 years got the whole spit polished boots and when it mattered I never had anything more than adequate in the department. Most of the time I was in I wore one of two pairs of non regulation jungle boots that had probably been seen polished once, but not by a reliable witness. But even I had two pairs, because it was beat into my in basic training that you never wear the same pair every day, you rotate them so they have a chance to dry out properly.

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:10 pm As for the ceremonial boots. I knew a few people in the Army who had served in the 3rd Infantry, "The Old Guard". They spend weeks getting a pair of boots pretty enough to wear. They have what I always thought were tap dancing things in the heels.

They are often called taps, they're not only used for the purpose of the distinctive sound they make, but also to reduce wear on the heel of said shoe or boot, during the numerous time they'll have to march in them. I.E. The guards at the Tomb of the Unknowns.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Gregg wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:10 pm As for the ceremonial boots. I knew a few people in the Army who had served in the 3rd Infantry, "The Old Guard". They spend weeks getting a pair of boots pretty enough to wear. They have what I always thought were tap dancing things in the heels.

I never, ever in 9 years got the whole spit polished boots and when it mattered I never had anything more than adequate in the department. Most of the time I was in I wore one of two pairs of non regulation jungle boots that had probably been seen polished once, but not by a reliable witness. But even I had two pairs, because it was beat into my in basic training that you never wear the same pair every day, you rotate them so they have a chance to dry out properly.
Also one pair you painted a ¾" wide white stripe a ½" long on the inside top of the boot but the other one was unpainted. That way you knew which pair to wear on White days. (A basic training thingy circa 1964).
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

qbawl wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:33 pm

Also one pair you painted a ¾" wide white stripe a ½" long on the inside top of the boot but the other one was unpainted. That way you knew which pair to wear on White days. (A basic training thingy circa 1964).
YES!!!

I had totally forgot that! Odd day, white stripe!

June bug

Post by June bug »

The things I learn on Fogbow!

Thanks, Gregg and qbawl!! :clap: :clap:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I found the actual service dreadfully boring. The March through the Streets was fascinating, however. Keeping that up must not have been easy and had to have been exhausting.
Hic sunt dracones
Mr brolin
Verified: ✅ as vaguely humanoid

Post by Mr brolin »

Ahhhhhhhh, spit polishing boots was a sure-fire way to get out of extra duties by being found "wasting time doing nothing I need three volunteers, You, You and You".....

For those not aware of the arcana, spit polishing was exactly that (although water in the polish lid would work as well).

Clean the boots thoroughly including down in the welts, toe caps, soles etc, a blank clean canvas
Polish vigorously with Kiwi black parade ground gloss if you could get hold of it until the leather is nice and bright then

The toe caps and heel back and sides get worked on.
Clean soft cloth, held over the hand, covering your index finger, small dab of polish, spit or wet the area to be polished
Small, neat crisp circular polishing motions over a small section of the leather, gradually working over the whole area to be polished
Add tiny amounts of polish and spit as you go, motions that start dull then gradually build into a sheen, spit/water some more, rinse and repeat
Periodically use another clean, dry soft cloth to buff the area polished, make DAMN sure there are no bits of dust or other abrasive stuff on the cloth
Spend hours until you get a finish like fine lacquer and a reflective surface you can see your face in.

(Since you end up with a finger as black as coal, some chaps would slip a prophylactic over the index finger first, much taste free comments by semi adolescent young men would follow. One heathen I knew, after he had attained the prerequisite gloss and shine then sealed the damn thing with yacht varnish. Cunning but meant he had to lightly sand and seal the coating periodically and his feet, as there was little for moisture to escape from the boot, ended up in a very sorry state..... Charged with damaging government property, the boots and himself...)
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Mr brolin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:29 am
Ahhhhhhhh, spit polishing boots was a sure-fire way to get out of extra duties by being found "wasting time doing nothing I need three volunteers, You, You and You".....

For those not aware of the arcana, spit polishing was exactly that (although water in the polish lid would work as well).

Clean the boots thoroughly including down in the welts, toe caps, soles etc, a blank clean canvas
Polish vigorously with Kiwi black parade ground gloss if you could get hold of it until the leather is nice and bright then

Clean soft cloth, held over the hand, covering your index finger, small dab of polish, spit or wet the area to be polished
Small, neat crisp circular polishing motions over a small section of the leather, gradually working over the whole area to be polished
Add tiny amounts of polish and spit as you go, motions that start dull then gradually build into a sheen, spit/water some more, rinse and repeat
Periodically use another clean, dry soft cloth to buff the area polished, make DAMN sure there are no bits of dust or other abrasive stuff on the cloth
Spend hours until you get a finish like fine lacquer and a reflective surface you can see your face in.

(Since you end up with a finger as black as coal, some chaps would slip a prophylactic over the index finger first, much taste free comments by semi adolescent young men would follow. One heathen I knew, after he had attained the prerequisite gloss and shine then sealed the damn thing with yacht varnish. Cunning but meant he had to lightly sand and seal the coating periodically and his feet, as there was little for moisture to escape from the boot, ended up in a very sorry state..... Charged with damaging government property, the boots and himself...)
That’s how we did it in the US Coast Guard. But we used wet cotton balls. And in between polishing a wet cotton ball would remove minor scuffs. Those were the days. :daydreaming:
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

In the Air Force, we used a tiny bit of perfume. The alcohol worked wonders. Perfume cleans mirrors, too. I had never worn perfume before joining and wondered why all my friends who were already serving insisted I take a bottle of the cheapest stuff I could find. (Yes, we were officially allowed a single bottle of perfume during basic training.)
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I found this quite amusing. Keith Olbermann also featured this story on his Countdown podcast.

Watch: Aussie broadcasters fail to recognise Liz Truss
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:00 am In the Air Force ...
YOU WERE IN THE AIR FORCE? :shock:

Jeez, you never cease to amaze me. 'Course, poplove was in the Air Force.

So this is the wrong thread and I do NOT want to start a hijack, but in your intro thread please tell us about the Air Force, lots of us are interested in the military and military service.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:27 am
Mr brolin wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:29 am

That’s how we did it in the US Coast Guard. But we used wet cotton balls. And in between polishing a wet cotton ball would remove minor scuffs. Those were the days. :daydreaming:
Off Topic
I used cotton balls and water (in the lid of the Kiwi can) and was pretty damned good at it. Good enough to be appointed Supernumbery (sp?) at Basic guard mount. Though I suspect the way I answered my inspecting officers General Orders question was what sealed the deal. "What is your fish General Order?" (A story for another time.)

Some nomenclature thingys:
1. Supernumbery; At least once in each Basic cycle @ Ft Knox Ky. your basic company pulls the full post guard duty. This is a BFD. the company of approx 200 'cruits marches around for a ½ hour or so, (to demonstrate knowledge of leftness, rightness, how to walk with a rifle on your shoulder and not put your buddy's eye out) and a personal and weapons inspection conducted by an officer and a platoon SGT. The 4 'maggots' who perform this charade the best in the opinion of the inspectors become either a a 'Colonel's Orderly' who is excused from duty and gets a weekend pass,or three Supernumberies who are not excused from the duty nor do they get a pass but they only have to stand guard if another guy is shot or shoots himself, or picks that time to have a medical emergency requiring evacuation to a lvl 1 trauma center, or most likely scenario falls victim to one of the imported 'drop bears' Ft. Knox was evaluating at the time.

2. General Orders an Army wide list of 12 iirc or so rules / guides for accomplishing the duty. As differentiated from specific orders that would be related to the actual task.
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

sugar magnolia wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:00 am In the Air Force, we used a tiny bit of perfume. The alcohol worked wonders. Perfume cleans mirrors, too. I had never worn perfume before joining and wondered why all my friends who were already serving insisted I take a bottle of the cheapest stuff I could find. (Yes, we were officially allowed a single bottle of perfume during basic training.)
Just so happens, today is the 50th :eek: anniversary of my Air Force enlistment. We were WAFs back then. I remember the shoe polishing with wet cotton balls and buffing to a nice shine with old panty hose. But we didn't know about the perfume. We also sprayed the inside of our berets with cheap hairspray so they would keep their shape.

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”