King Charles III and Queen Consort Camilla (Scorpio/Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Gregg

Re: King Charles (Heir Apparent, Scorpio) and Queen Camilla (Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by Gregg »

Yay for him, but isn't that pretty close to the line of what the Royal family is supposed to say out loud?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
SuzieC
Verified:

Re: King Charles (Heir Apparent, Scorpio) and Queen Camilla (Cancer) + Queen Elizabeth II

Post by SuzieC »

Yes, but I found it striking because it seemed more political than the royal family has been before. Charles has been outspoken about climate change. He hated Trump and refused to meet with him. All of that makes me hope he may be a force for good in the world. I was surprised to learn that Charles is "only" 73. I thought he was about 80. Judging by his family, he has a good 20 or more years to live.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

The spare says words....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-21/ ... /101004406

The Duke of Sussex spoke about his recent visit with his grandmother, the Queen, in the UK.

It was the first time he'd been back in Britain since the unveiling of a statue of his mother Diana last July.

"To be able to see her in some element of privacy was nice," Prince Harry said.

"It was just so nice to see her. You know, she's in great form.

"She has always got a great sense of humour with me and I'm just making sure she's protected and has got the right people around her."

------
Harry:
"I'm just making sure she's protected and has got the right people around her."
Me:
:sick:
Harry.. you and your wife threw her under the bus with Ophra..
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Exactly WHO are the 'right people', Harry?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

It's possible that Harry has started realizing his darling wife has turned him against his family and friends and dragged him off to an unfamiliar land where he is isolated.

Does not sound good when you put it like that, does it?
Hic sunt dracones
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Suranis wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:33 pm It's possible that Harry has started realizing his darling wife has turned him against his family and friends and dragged him off to an unfamiliar land where he is isolated.

Does not sound good when you put it like that, does it?
I suppose it depends on how much he was a willing participant. To the best of my knowledge, we don't know what the situation between Harry and Megan is - how much of the decision to isolate and move was pushed by her or if it was something he genuinely wanted to do because of how she was being treated. I'm sure he misses his family - most people would ‐ but that doesn't mean that he couldn't have been fully behind stepping down as a royal (something he had to have known the consequences of) and moving away from England.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Azastan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:31 pm Exactly WHO are the 'right people', Harry?
Richard, Duke of Gloucester said the exact same thing about Edward V and the Duke of York once. :bag: :bag: :fiesta:

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Well, despite any of the family dynamic issues in the Royal Family it is the Queen's birthday (Elizabeth, not that one in British Columbia) so she probably needs a song (anybody who makes 96 needs a song).

Also, it is a good excuse to post a national anthem that is far easier and fun to sing than our own drinking song.
101010 :towel:
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Being the Queen (real) and all that…

She didn’t get just a pony for her birthday. She got two ponies! :)

Picture at -
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-04-21/ ... /101004700

Queen poses with fell ponies in photo released to mark 96th birthday ahead of Platinum Jubilee
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Gregg wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:38 am
Azastan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:31 pm Exactly WHO are the 'right people', Harry?
Richard, Duke of Gloucester said the exact same thing about Edward V and the Duke of York once. :bag: :bag: :fiesta:

Her doctors and other court attendants, Charles and William, the Archbishop of Canterbury, etc, etc, etc.

QEII ain't Edward V and she isn't being suckered by an American divorce.

She is extremely competent and savvy and has planned for her twilight years and Charles' eventual succession with great care and many years ago.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

keith wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:23 amShe is extremely competent and savvy and has planned for her twilight years and Charles' eventual succession with great care and many years ago.
There is that one little issue, though...
► Show Spoiler
Image Image Image Image
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

keith wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:23 am
Gregg wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:38 am

Her doctors and other court attendants, Charles and William, the Archbishop of Canterbury, etc, etc, etc.

QEII ain't Edward V and she isn't being suckered by an American divorce.

She is extremely competent and savvy and has planned for her twilight years and Charles' eventual succession with great care and many years ago.

I think you might be confusing your Richards, Edwards and Dukes of York.

Richard Glouschester was Richard III, Edward V and the Duke of York he was "the right people" for were the Princes in the Tower, who he took, said he was gonna make sure they were safe, and were never seen again.

No American Divorcee needed.

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

One of the problems is that Shakespeare's portrayal of Richard is famously slanderous to the real guy. People who study the history tend to change their mind on Richard pretty fast.
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:49 am One of the problems is that Shakespeare's portrayal of Richard is famously slanderous to the real guy. People who study the history tend to change their mind on Richard pretty fast.
I'll concede that point, but nobody ever saw Edward V alive again. They did find some bones hundreds of years later. Richard was probably a pretty good king, and probably not anymore corrupt that, say, Dick Nixon or Mitch McConnel.

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

The Royal Family @RoyalFamily wrote: Her Majesty The Queen, the first Monarch in British history to celebrate a Platinum Jubilee.

To mark the beginning of the #PlatinumJubilee Celebration Weekend, a new portrait of The Queen has been released.

📷 Ranald Mackechnie
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Good on ya, Lillibet.

God Save the Queen!

Suranis

Post by Suranis »

No idea if this is true, but I read it on the internet.
The Queen traditionally breakfasts on swan stuffed with squirrel as part of her jubilee celebrations. (On her official birthday she favours sea otter curry).
Hic sunt dracones
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Suranis wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:56 am No idea if this is true, but I read it on the internet.
The Queen traditionally breakfasts on swan stuffed with squirrel as part of her jubilee celebrations. (On her official birthday she favours sea otter curry).
Is there no one in the world who appreciates pancakes anymore?

Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gregg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:13 am
Suranis wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:56 am No idea if this is true, but I read it on the internet.
I have found -- for the most part -- that pancakes here in the UK aren't as good as American pancakes. Waffles likewise lack that oomph. And I've yet to find a Dutch Baby. I'm not quite saying that I would commit crimes that would get me declared persona non grata and sent back to the U.S. in disgrace with my Foreign Service career ended, in exchange for a OPH-style Dutch Baby, but I'm not not saying it.

I guess, actually, what I'm really saying is that when sea otter curry is what's on the menu, maybe you get to like it.

Dammit, now I gotta wrap my broken toes, get into something more decent than my bumming-around-the-house attire, and hobble to the nearest breakfast place that makes anything *resembling* a decent waffle in this corner of Greater London. >fistishake<
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Back in 1977, at the Queen's Silver jubilee, a family friend from England gave me a 1 oz silver ingot made into a pendant that commemorated the occasion. It has the Queen's hallmark on it, as well as her personal jeweler's hallmark. It's a very cool piece of jewelry but so heavy that I've had to have the bail reinforced once and completely replaced once.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Ben-Prime wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:53 am
Gregg wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:13 am

I have found -- for the most part -- that pancakes here in the UK aren't as good as American pancakes. Waffles likewise lack that oomph. And I've yet to find a Dutch Baby. I'm not quite saying that I would commit crimes that would get me declared persona non grata and sent back to the U.S. in disgrace with my Foreign Service career ended, in exchange for a OPH-style Dutch Baby, but I'm not not saying it.

I guess, actually, what I'm really saying is that when sea otter curry is what's on the menu, maybe you get to like it.

Dammit, now I gotta wrap my broken toes, get into something more decent than my bumming-around-the-house attire, and hobble to the nearest breakfast place that makes anything *resembling* a decent waffle in this corner of Greater London. >fistishake<

The Greggs in Tottenham Court Rd doesn't suck. And you really don't have to get dressed for it...

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Foreign Countries and Culture”