Russia paying bounties on US deaths

neeneko

Re: Russia paying bounties on US deaths

Post by neeneko »

RVInit wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 am
And what pisses me off the most about this whole thing? All these generals and Cabinet members, Chiefs of Staff, White House staff who thought Trump was a danger to our national security...and said nothing. And didn't resign. They should have resigned AND told the American people that this man is a danger to our national security. Every. Last. One. Of. Them.
And long term, this is going to be what kills the US's credibility and network of allies. Having a bad leader is something other leaders and institutions can understand. The failure of the GoP and other institutions within the US to compensate for him or remove him... that is like hitting your emergency breaks and discovering they were never installed. Republicans have demonstrated that the system that should keep the alliance funcitoning is not going to support them, and thus the US can not be relied upon. This is on the heads of the GoP, not Trump.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

neeneko wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 am
RVInit wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:07 am
And what pisses me off the most about this whole thing? All these generals and Cabinet members, Chiefs of Staff, White House staff who thought Trump was a danger to our national security...and said nothing. And didn't resign. They should have resigned AND told the American people that this man is a danger to our national security. Every. Last. One. Of. Them.
And long term, this is going to be what kills the US's credibility and network of allies. Having a bad leader is something other leaders and institutions can understand. The failure of the GoP and other institutions within the US to compensate for him or remove him... that is like hitting your emergency breaks and discovering they were never installed. Republicans have demonstrated that the system that should keep the alliance funcitoning is not going to support them, and thus the US can not be relied upon. This is on the heads of the GoP, not Trump.
:thumbs:

Addie

Post by Addie »

Axios: "It's not a hoax": Dem Sen. Chris Murphy claims to have seen Russian bounty intel
Adding:
WaPo - Editorial: The report of Russia putting bounties on U.S. soldiers is disturbing. Trump’s response is stupefying.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

GOP: Guardians of Putin

RoadScholar

Post by RoadScholar »

As You Like It .jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The bitterest truth is healthier than the sweetest lie.
X3

Addie

Post by Addie »

Politico: House Dems headed to White House for briefing on Russian bounties

A group of nearly a dozen House Democrats will head to the White House Tuesday morning for a briefing on intelligence that Russia provided bounties to Taliban militants to kill U.S. troops in Afghanistan.

The meeting comes just hours after the New York Times reported on Monday that President Donald Trump was briefed on the intelligence in late February, earlier than previously reported. Trump has denied knowing about the intelligence despite it being included in a written briefing for the president in February, according to the Times.

The No. 2 House Democrat, Majority Leader Steny Hoyer (D-Md.), will lead the group this morning. Hoyer has a personal relationship with White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, who called the Maryland Democrat Sunday to begin arranging the briefing.

Other House Democrats going include Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff (Calif.), Foreign Affairs Committee Chairman Eliot Engel (N.Y.) and Armed Services Chairman Adam Smith (Wash.). A mix of Democrats who serve on the Foreign Affairs and Armed Services panels — Reps. Brad Sherman (Calif.), Gregory Meeks (N.Y.), Mikie Sherrill (N.J.), Abigail Spanberger (Va.), Elissa Slotkin (Mich.), Ruben Gallego (Ariz.) and Bill Keating (Mass).

“I think we have to understand what exactly is in the intelligence, and then understand what, if anything, the White House has done about it. They need to be forthcoming about that,” Slotkin, a former CIA officer, told reporters Monday.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Grumpy Old Guy

Post by Grumpy Old Guy »

Briefing content: “Nothing to see here.”

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Data on Financial Transfers Bolstered Suspicions That Russia Offered Bounties
Analysts have used other evidence to conclude that the transfers were likely part of an effort to offer payments to Taliban-linked militants to kill American and coalition troops in Afghanistan.

By Charlie Savage, Mujib Mashal, Rukmini Callimachi, Eric Schmitt and Adam Goldman
June 30, 2020, 1:20 p.m. ET

American officials intercepted electronic data showing large financial transfers from a bank account controlled by Russia’s military intelligence agency to a Taliban-linked account, which was among the evidence that supported their conclusion that Russia covertly offered bounties for killing U.S. and coalition troops in Afghanistan, according to three officials familiar with the intelligence.

Though the United States has accused Russia of providing general support to the Taliban before, analysts concluded from other intelligence that the transfers were most likely part of a bounty program that detainees described during interrogations. Investigators also identified by name numerous Afghans in a network linked to the suspected Russian operation, the officials said — including, two of them added, a man believed to have served as an intermediary for distributing some of the funds and who is now thought to be in Russia.

The intercepts bolstered the findings gleaned from the interrogations, helping reduce an earlier disagreement among intelligence analysts and agencies over the reliability of the detainees. The disclosures further undercut White House officials’ claim that the intelligence was too uncertain to brief President Trump. In fact, the information was provided to him in his daily written brief in late February, two officials have said.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/us/p ... gence.html

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Atticus Finch wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 am
GOP: Guardians of Putin
Well, he did make a bunch of them money.

As soon as Russia opened up for 'foreign investment', the GoP loved them.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Kaitlan Collins
@kaitlancollins
·
Jun 30, 2020
The White House says Trump has now been briefed on what was in his daily written intelligence briefing back in February, per the NYT.

Eric Applebaum
@applebaum_eric
Will someone now clue him in that #Hydroxychloroquine doesn't work and the Nazis lost World War 2.

Karen Collins
@karencollinsnyc 1h
Replying to @applebaum_eric and @kaitlancollins

Also, the confederacy lost.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

They briefed him and he still hasn't announced that he will be making a statement about how he intends to go about evaluating possible responses?

Oh, wait. Putin strongly denied it. How could I forget?
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left past the picture of King George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney - I am not your lawyer, and my posts do not constitute legal advice

Post by fierceredpanda »

A friend of mine (who also happens to be a former National Guard JAG captain) pointed out to me yesterday that Trump was supposedly briefed on the bounties on 2/27, and there was a White House announcement on 2/29 that all of our troops in Afghanistan were going to be pulled out. I haven't had time to run down that timeline, but if true it would certainly suggest that Trump did know and was simply choosing to use it as an excuse to fold tents and go home.

Oddly, packing up and leaving Afghanistan might possibly be the right move. I'm sort of agnostic about that. The place has been the graveyard of empires for almost 200 years, going back to Elphinstone's expedition in the 1840s - one of the greatest military catastrophes in history. As it happens, Elphinstone became a general and was appointed to the command of that expedition not because of his skill or accomplishments, but because of his social connections. He even bargained with the enemy while they were systematically slaughtering his own men. Does any of this sound found familiar?
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple; the smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

That timeline makes perfect sense.

2/27 he gets briefed about the bounties

Also 2/27 he calls Putin for instructions. Putin tells him to get out of Afghanistan and to shut up about the bounties.

He dithers for two days, but Putin has the goods on him and he really has no choice in the matter.

So 2/29 he announces that he's pulling the troops out of Afghanistan.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it. :smoking:
For more information, read it again. || When science is outlawed, only outlaws will have science.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Pompeo just gave some remarks. From what I heard on MSNBC (I don't think they played the whole thing) is that it's been going on for decades = it's Obama's fault.

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

Kendra wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:29 am
Pompeo just gave some remarks. From what I heard on MSNBC (I don't think they played the whole thing) is that it's been going on for decades = it's Obama's fault.
If that were true, wouldn't Trump want to do something different and not just repeat what Obama did? I get confused when they blame something on Obama but do not take any different approach to show how they improved. I guess the deal with issues using a modified Truman theme.

The buck stops with Obama.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

The buck disappears with Trump. Evaporates. Finito.

[djt] There was never a buck. Believe me, we know what a buck looks like. We have the best bucks. We've had plenty of experience with bucks. If there was a buck, I'd know it. But, I never saw a buck. Fake news.[/djt]

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Bill_G wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:13 pm

[djt] There was never a buck. Believe me, we know what a buck looks like. We have the best bucks. We've had plenty of experience with bucks. If there was a buck, I'd know it. But, I never saw a buck. Fake news.[/djt]
:winner:

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

djt would have beautiful bucks.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Lincoln Project
@ProjectLincoln
American soldiers’ lives are in danger and Trump has done nothing to stop it.

Add ‘America First’ to the laundry list of scams Trump has sold in his life. It’s clearly Trump first, Russia second, and America last.

Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Ouch. That's gonna leave a mark.

Dave at Sea

Post by Dave at Sea »

“Russia, Russia, Russia”

Rage tweet storm coming again..

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Cross posted.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Addie

Post by Addie »

WaPo - Greg Sargent: Trump’s ugly new spin on Russia bounties actually incriminates him

With President Trump, it’s often difficult to locate the point where his utter lack of self awareness blends into sheer shamelessness. This poses an urgent problem with the spin he is now offering amid revelations that U.S. intelligence indicated Russia may have paid bounties to Taliban-linked militias for the killing of U.S. troops.

Trump is now defending himself not just by claiming he wasn’t briefed on that intelligence, or just by contesting the significance of that intelligence. Instead, he’s declaring that the entire story simply doesn’t exist — that is, he’s suggesting no intelligence ever actually indicated anything like this.

Yet this defense is itself deeply self-incriminating. It only underscores what critics are saying — that at minimum, Trump should be taking this intelligence seriously and trying to get to the bottom of what it actually does indicate, even if the worst interpretation proves wrong. ...

That, too, is either profoundly un-self-aware or deeply shameless — take your pick. But on the Russia story in particular, the line between the two is not just blurry, but dangerously so.

There is a great deal we don’t know about the Russian bounties, and we should be exceptionally cautious. But one thing we can state right now is that the president of the United States should be taking a lot more of an interest in this and should be saying publicly that he is doing so.

Instead, Trump is denying that the story has any significance of any kind. In a second tweet, Trump noted he was “never briefed” on intelligence about the bounties, because “any info that they may have had” wasn’t corroborated. He again claimed the story is a “made up Fake News Media Hoax.”

Note the “may have had.” His only instinct is to cast doubt on the very existence of any such intelligence, not to further explore what it might indicate.

Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Bill_G wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:13 pm

Sign on Trump's desk: The buck stops anywhere but here unless Eric shoots it first.

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

New: President Trump's resistance to intel warnings about Russia led his national security team to verbally brief him less often on Russia-related threats to the US

(Reporting adapted from my upcoming book “The Madman Theory: Trump Takes on the World”)
More at the thread linked above.

Return to “Military”