Section 230 - Safe Harbor - Social Media Executive Political Theatre Order

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Re: Section 230 - Safe Harbor - Social Media Executive Order?

Post by Orlylicious »

Totally meaningless EO. It's so far away from reality that even an analysis is going to be difficult -- nothing is stopping IMPOTUS from starting his own social media and only allowing "conservative" viewpoints.

With some internet law friends we were trying to think what this could possibly be... the answer is nothing. Will post some more specifics later but my buddies at the companies are celebrating, "working groups" and lots of bullshit.

In fact, this could make it easier to ban users because they're creating a reporting mechanism. Good luck with that, FTC! Interesting with all the screaming and promotion, they only got 16,000 complaints since 2019, that really shows how ridiculous this all is.

And then they say they might stop advertising on those platforms. :lol: Good, let the IMPOTUS campaign kick that off and stop all social media advertising, set an example here!

We'd love to see Nancy Pelosi rip it up on TV :lol:
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

bob

Post by bob »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:40 pm
Twitter should now ban his ass for violating its terms of service.
That is the logical conclusion of Jack's being in for a penny. (And lawsuits, of course. But that goes with saying; 'Murika! and all that.)

Mike D. is livetweeting his reading of the redlined version (between the draft and the order):
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

John Thomas8

Re: Section 230 - Safe Harbor - Social Media Executive Political Theatre Order

Post by John Thomas8 »

Are there any adults in DC? There doesn't seem to be any.

Orlylicious
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: #StuggersForBiden "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Looking forward to reading Dunford's thoughts, so far just hearing champagne bottles being uncorked at the socials.

TBT from Randy Rainbow :lol:

Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: Family Crisis!" TVShowsAce featured Fogbow's love 5/26/20: https://bit.ly/2TNxrbS

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Where in the Constitution is an Executive Ordered mentioned? Political theater and bullshit.
By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is hereby ordered as follows:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

bob

Post by bob »

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:45 pm
Political theater and bullshit.
:winner:

Whole lota makebusy work as bread and circuses for the poorly educated.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

bob wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:56 pm
AndyinPA wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:45 pm
Political theater and bullshit.
:winner:

Whole lota makebusy work as bread and circuses for the poorly educated.
PEOPLE ARE DYING. People who shouldn’t have died.

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

So if the government cuts off any money for advertising on the social platforms, does that mean we only have to see Biden ads?

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Yes Sugar, that's what's so nuts about this but hope they'll try it!

Even Erick gets it:
Erick Erickson ‏Verified account @EWErickson
1 hour ago

Y’all, I think Republicans are going down a very dangerous road trying to upend §230. They aren’t thinking this through and are making emotional decisions with long term consequences that’ll hamper their own free speech.
When Democrats control the government, this can be flipped around and if you think they are screaming now just wait. :lol: Tried to help a Trumper understand, this is sort of like saying *every* letter to the editor in a newspaper *must* be published. There's no way that could/would/should happen, and the government under 1A can't force that.

This guy doesn't know what he wants, he doesn't want to join another social, he just wants things to be done HIS WAY or else.

IHeartDagny, An OPEN Economy and TRUTH in History
‏ @JBisRight Replying to @Orly_licious

Nope. Joining another social media company is JUST WHAT the left wants. That way they can keep their SHEEP in perpetual ignorance much easier.

The XO is a START. And, if the Socials are celebrating, they're more stupid than I thought. They obviously DO NOT understand the Pres
7:06 PM - 28 May 2020
Ultimately, this sums it up well:
Ironically, Donald Trump is a big beneficiary of Section 230. If platforms were not immune under the law, then they would not risk the legal liability that could come with hosting Donald Trump's lies, defamation, and threats,” Kate Ruane, Senior Legislative Counsel at the American Civil Liberties Union, said in a statement.
https://thehill.com/policy/technology/4 ... pite-trump

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Frater I*I wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:14 pm

In my view Trump was laying the groundwork for disrupting the election. And laying the groundwork as well for voter suppression.
Even if he loses, he'll yell fraud, McConnell will refuse to certify the election result, kick it over to a packed SCOTUS who will rule and give us 4 more years of President Plague.....

Not if the Senate flips. The incoming Congress certifies the results.
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

The Two Things To Understand About Trump's Executive Order On Social Media: (1) It's A Distraction (2) It's Legally Meaningless

We've officially reached pure silly season when it comes to internet regulations. For the past two years now, every so often, reports have come out that the White House was exploring issuing an executive order trying to attack Section 230 and punish companies for the administration's belief in the myth that content moderation practices at large social media firms are "biased" against conservatives.

However, it apparently took Twitter literally doing nothing more than linking to people arguing that Trump's tweets were misleading, to cause our President to throw a total shit fit and finally break out the executive order. This one is somewhat different than drafts that have been floated in the past, though it has the same origins (and, according to a few people I spoke to, this new executive order was "hastily drafted" to appease an angry President who can't stand the idea that someone might correct his nonsense). You can read the draft that get sent around to everyone last night. The final version is expected to be at least somewhat close to this.

To be clear: the executive order is nonsense. You can't overrule the law by executive order, nor can you ignore the Constitution. This executive order attempts to do both. It's also blatantly anti-free speech, anti-private property, pro-big government -- which is only mildly amusing, given that Trump and his sycophantic followers like to insist they're the opposite of all of those things. But also, because the executive order only has limited power, there's a lot of huffing and puffing in there for very little actual things that the administration can do. It's very much written in a way to make Trump's fans think he's done something to attack social media companies, but the deeper you dig, the more nothingness you find.

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200 ... less.shtml
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

Legally, I think it's mostly meaningless, but getting to that conclusion may be expensive for the socials - especially if Barr decides to try to bring some deceptive practices actions.

As a further shattering of the norms of governance, it's pretty dramatic. Even by Trumpian standards.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

Addie

Post by Addie »

CNBC: Both Trump and Biden have criticized Big Tech’s favorite law — here’s what Section 230 says and why they want to change it
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

much ado

Post by much ado »

It should be laughed at. It should be ridiculed. It should be called "toothless". It should be called "impotent".

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I agree Much Ado. It is much ado about nothing.

Mikedunford

Post by Mikedunford »

I respectfully dissent.

Legally, it's toothless. Politically, provision after provision are timed to provide additional talking points through the election runup. The intent is both to stir the base and to ensure that the social media companies don't push back on outrageous claims.
"I don't give a fuck whether we're peers or not."
--Lord Thomas Henry Bingham to Boris Johnson, on being asked whether he would miss being in "the best club in London" if the Law Lords moved from Parliament to a Supreme Court.

pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Mikedunford wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:18 pm
I respectfully dissent.

Legally, it's toothless. Politically, provision after provision are timed to provide additional talking points through the election runup. The intent is both to stir the base and to ensure that the social media companies don't push back on outrageous claims.
They should, if only for self protection.

much ado

Post by much ado »

My point is that the EO was issued to appear to be real red meat to Trump's supporters. If it is cast as a truly "meaningless" piece of BS, it will be much less effective for the purpose for which it was intended. That's why it should be ridiculed and called "meaningless".

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image Image

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

much ado wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 9:26 pm
My point is that the EO was issued to appear to be real red meat to Trump's supporters. If it is cast as a truly "meaningless" piece of BS, it will be much less effective for the purpose for which it was intended. That's why it should be ridiculed and called "meaningless".
:like:

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Twitter is ramping up the fact checks, which is on track with what Much Ado is talking about and I agree.

While yeah, talking points, these Trumpers are already posting stuff like "put my video back up YouTube NOW cause DJT". When it doesn't happen, that will be kind of interesting. Six months until the election and if anything, socials might get more aggressive because "what the hell do you have to lose" (kind of kidding).

Stuart is right, hard to believe so much agreement with these guys.

So many stories like this are going to come out because it's true -- in Fantasyland Trumpers may rejoice, but in the real world, things will probably get much worse for them. Fact is, the problem isn't "conservative" views, it's still the law that
(2) Civil liability No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be held liable on account of—
(A)any action voluntarily taken in good faith to restrict access to or availability of material that the provider or user considers to be obscene, lewd, lascivious, filthy, excessively violent, harassing, or otherwise objectionable, whether or not such material is constitutionally protected;
Trump’s Order on Social Media Could Harm One Person in Particular: Donald Trump
Without certain liability protections, companies like Twitter would have to be more aggressive about policing messages that press the boundaries — like the president’s.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/28/us/p ... orsey.html

Estiveo

Post by Estiveo »

Screenshot_20200528_160614.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image Image

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise »

Whatever4 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:18 pm
Frater I*I wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:07 pm
Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 4:14 pm

In my view Trump was laying the groundwork for disrupting the election. And laying the groundwork as well for voter suppression.
Even if he loses, he'll yell fraud, McConnell will refuse to certify the election result, kick it over to a packed SCOTUS who will rule and give us 4 more years of President Plague.....

Not if the Senate flips. The incoming Congress certifies the results.
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
M A C A Making America Care Again :daydream:

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Damn, they're starting to catch on! :lol: Breitbart:

Mike Lee: You Aren’t Going to Like It if a Democrat Gets the Power to Regulate Social Media, Keep the Government Away from It
IAN HANCHETT 28 May 20200

On Thursday’s broadcast of Fox News Radio’s “Guy Benson Show,” Sen. Mike Lee (R-UT) stated that the government should be kept “as far away” from the political handling of social media bias as possible, and warned that “even if you would like the policies that the current administration might employ if it started stepping into this arena,” you probably won’t like the policies that would be enacted by a Democratic administration using the same power.

Lee said, “You keep government as far away from it as you possibly can. Look, this may be attractive from a distance, to some, at any given moment, but it’s a very dangerous, slippery slope to start opening the door to having the government regulate these platforms.”

Lee agreed with Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s statement that social media platforms shouldn’t be the arbiters of truth and political arguments, adding, “And I also think it’s wise to keep the government away from it. Governments have force as their only real weapon. You don’t want force deciding the art of persuasion or deciding the art of communication with social media.”

Host Guy Benson then raised the prospect of how a Democratic administration might use increased power to regulate social media.

Lee responded, “Yes, yes, that’s exactly the point. And that’s why I say you don’t want to open that door. Because even if you would like the policies that the current administration might employ if it started stepping into this arena, that’s good for now, if you agree with it. But it’s not good for, whether it’s a few months or a few years from now, whenever circumstances might change. And it’s just terrible precedent long term. This stuff doesn’t belong to the government. It’s not the government’s tool to play with. We need to keep the two of them separated.”
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020/05 ... rt+News%29

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

crossposting
RTH10260 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:02 pm
My standard international view:

All interested governments around the globe are following the twit and know he is just puffing hot air. Couch dictator in action without any knowledge of the limits of his powers. A non-political and non-diplomatic brain cell at work. Interested international powers will drive the bus right over him when they feel their time has come :blackeye:

#MAGA :sarcasm:
Please mark the date in the history books for future reference!

As ineffective this EO may be in terms of US relevance, on an international scale this impotus just threw away the reputation of the US as defender of free speech and opinion.

How does the US think they can stand up to China on trashing and crashing down on the democracy in Hongkong? All small dictators like Duterte and Kim Il Jong now have a document at hand that it is legitimate to silence the opposition!

Did I already mentioned it: #MAGA :sarcasm:

Return to “Computers & Internet”