Re: Opening up is hard to do.

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 1:01 pm
Addie wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 11:32 am
New York Times: Church That Defied Coronavirus Restrictions Is Burned to Ground
:snippity:

A photograph of the graffiti also appears to show an atomic symbol with an “A” in the center, which is sometimes used as a logo for atheist groups. ...
:think: :confused: atheists? i thought it was the logo of the peace movement :think:
At any rate the atheists have denied any involvement, which I believe. They'd spell better.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Bill_G wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:07 am
neonzx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:59 am
I haven't seen stats on that. Locally, LE mostly have avoided arresting DUIs (citation, notice to appear, impounded vehicle and making sure they got home) unless there were other charges that elevated things. The bars here are not open yet so I think our Florida alcohol-related traffic problems are still low.
Thanks. Locally, Clackamas County is opening up restaurants, bars, and pubs today. ClackCo is part of the tri-county Portland Metro area. So, it's expected the places that open will be inundated. Should be interesting to see just how nutz it gets.
I'm sure everyone will be watching what happens. Here, I know many who are restless and would jump at the first chance to get back to their watering holes.

Since you mentioned traffic fatalities, I'll mention a side effect to the shutdown has been reduced traffic deaths, which is a major source of organ donations. So this shutdown has impacted patients on wait lists. I know that's a bit morbid, but it's reality.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

neonzx wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:14 am

Since you mentioned traffic fatalities, I'll mention a side effect to the shutdown has been reduced traffic deaths, which is a major source of organ donations. So this shutdown has impacted patients on wait lists. I know that's a bit morbid, but it's reality.
We'll see ripple effects of the shutdown in a lot of inobvious ways as time goes by.

Addie

Post by Addie »

The Atlantic (Paywall) - David A. Graham: Why Are the States Reopening?

Yet states led by governors of both parties have moved forward on plans to reopen, even those where the COVID-19 caseload continues to rise. Take North Carolina, where Governor Roy Cooper, a Democrat, announced a new phase of opening this week—even though the number of coronavirus diagnoses in the state is still increasing. The Republican leader in the state Senate, who has been a proponent of reopening, praised the move.

“I’m glad the governor has responded to the calls of senators, small-business owners, and unemployed workers to let them get back to work,” state Senator Phil Berger said in a statement. But he added: “It seems strange that it was unsafe to reopen last week, but it’s safe to reopen now with worse numbers.” Berger meant this as a question about why Cooper wasn’t moving faster, but it is perhaps a stronger argument in the opposite direction: Why is he moving at all?

As the White House has pointed out, sometimes with great frustration, policy makers have to balance concerns that public-health officials don’t, including the economy and public opinion. Yet neither of these makes an especially strong case for reopening.

President Donald Trump has issued strong calls for reopening, saying that doing so will revive an economy knocked flat by the pandemic. The problem is that there’s not much evidence that simply dropping restrictions will save the economy, even as it does create health risks. States that have loosened the rules haven’t seen economic activity bounce back to anywhere near pre-crisis levels.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

This is a critical point that I've heard a few talking heads make Addie. There is nothing about this virus that has changed since the lock downs. Nothing. People seem to have lost the thread: flattening the curve was so that hospitals would not run out of capacity.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Most places and in the country as a whole the number of active cases has been increasing. The chances of encountering an infected person are greater than ever.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

States can open all they want, but a lot of people aren't about to run out and get back to normal. That normal is never coming back. Our county went to Yellow Phase last week, but it hasn't changed what anyone I know has been doing.
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

More than 40 diagnosed with COVID-19 after Frankfurt church service

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... ce=twitter
More than 40 people have tested positive for the novel coronavirus following a church service in Frankfurt, Germany’s financial center, earlier this month, the head of the city’s health department told a news agency on Saturday.

“Most of them are not seriously ill. As far as we know only one person has been admitted to hospital,” Rene Gottschalk told the dpa agency.

The service took place on May 10 at a Baptist church, the department’s deputy chief Antoni Walczok told local newspaper Frankfurter Rundschau. On its website https://www.seidheilig.de the church says it holds services in both German and Russian.

“The situation is very dynamic,” Walczok told the paper, adding the church did not violate official guidelines aimed at containing the spread of the virus.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Missouri hairstylist with COVID-19 symptoms exposed up to 84 clients, 7 coworkers: Officials

https://abc13.com/6206408/?ex_cid=TA_KT ... ce=twitter
The person, who has not been identified, traveled to another "high-intensity" area of Missouri and then worked at Great Clips in Springfield, the state health department director Clay Goddard said.

Officials said along with dozens of clients, the hairstylist interacted with seven coworkers. All of those exposed will be tested for the virus, and all clients were wearing masks during their haircuts.

Goddard said people who may have gone to the Great Clips during that time but have not been contacted by the health department are likely at low risk of exposure.

"This scenario is well within our capacity for staff to contact trace and hopefully contain. But I'm going to be honest with you, we can't have many more of these. We can't make this a regular habit or our capability as a community will be strained and we will have to reevaluate what things look like going forward," Goddard said.
Not going to the barber. :nope:

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Things getting back to normal.

Patrol officer finds 4 men shot in vehicle in Midtown, HPD says

https://abc13.com/6206226/?ex_cid=TA_KT ... ce=twitter
HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Four men were found shot inside a vehicle by a patrol officer Saturday morning, Houston Police said.

It happened on Milam and Anita in Midtown around 2 a.m.

The patrol officer heard gunfire and rushed to the scene of the shooting, HPD said.

That's when he saw a vehicle trying to leave and found the four men shot inside.
Houston Police

@houstonpolice
Update from investigators: despite preliminary information to the contrary, one of the males has not died. However, he does remain hospitalized. The investigation is continuing. #hounews

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Helen Kennedy
@HelenKennedy
·
3m
Let me get this straight: somehow Republicans now stand for actively defying health warnings in a pandemic, and refusing a vaccine when one arrives.
Trumpism was always about taking some pain as long as the libs suffered. Now they are volunteering to die - without the trade off.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

ABC13 Houston
@abc13houston
·
10m
New study says Harris County might have drastic rise in COVID-19 cases in next few weeks https://abc13.co/3gfvwGH

HeatherGray

Post by HeatherGray »

Volkonski wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:58 am
Missouri hairstylist with COVID-19 symptoms exposed up to 84 clients, 7 coworkers: Officials

https://abc13.com/6206408/?ex_cid=TA_KT ... ce=twitter
The person, who has not been identified, traveled to another "high-intensity" area of Missouri and then worked at Great Clips in Springfield, the state health department director Clay Goddard said.

Officials said along with dozens of clients, the hairstylist interacted with seven coworkers. All of those exposed will be tested for the virus, and all clients were wearing masks during their haircuts.

Goddard said people who may have gone to the Great Clips during that time but have not been contacted by the health department are likely at low risk of exposure.

"This scenario is well within our capacity for staff to contact trace and hopefully contain. But I'm going to be honest with you, we can't have many more of these. We can't make this a regular habit or our capability as a community will be strained and we will have to reevaluate what things look like going forward," Goddard said.
Not going to the barber. :nope:
I cut my husband's hair yesterday. It could have been worse: it wasn't the first time I ever had clippers in my hand before. Unfortunately, my prior experience with clippers was clipping around wounds on horses and dogs. Fortunately, my husband wears a hat to protect himself from sunburn when he goes out. And it's not like we are going out much right now.

Addie

Post by Addie »

I am sure this is a dupe, but it's worth repeating and sharing.
Medium (3/20/20) - Jonathan Smith: Hold the Line. ‘This virus is unforgiving to unwise choices’
WBUR (4/3/20) - Jonathan Smith: 'I Promise. I Promise.' You Can't Cheat A Pandemic
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Guymon, Oklahoma, is part of the coronavirus’ new frontier: mostly rural communities with meatpacking plants where employees work inches apart, carpool to their jobs and live in crowded homes. About a quarter of the @SeaboardFoods workforce is infected https://t.co/QeMzdL6WBn https://t.co/TEZbBDzLQZ

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

State Fairs cancelled -- these are a big deal in Midwestern states.

COVID-19 causes cancellation of 2020 Minnesota State Fair
Although the COVID-19 infection peak in Minnesota is expected in July, the threat of contagion killed this year's event.
https://www.startribune.com/safety-come ... 570694142/
The Minnesota State Fair, summer’s reliable finale, has been forced to take the year off for only the sixth time in history because of concerns about COVID-19.

“The alternative is to slap something together that’s unrecognizable and risky,” fair general manager Jerry Hammer said. “That puts the fair in a hole we might never come out of.”

Tim Weiss of Giggles’ Campfire Grill was disappointed but said, “I’ve got to tell you, please print this: Safety comes first.”

Fair board members voted to cancel after a private internet call that lasted 45 minutes. They voted unanimously to call it off. The fair was last canceled in 1946 because of the polio epidemic. It was been canceled three other times for wars, and once to avoid a conflict with the Chicago World’s Fair.

The decision came a day after Ohio called off its state fair. North Dakota’s fair also has been canceled. Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois are still on — for now.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

Maxine Bernstein
@maxoregonian
BREAKING: Oregon Supreme Court in Elkhorn Baptist Church case has directed Baker County Judge to either vacate his May 18 injunction finding Gov.'s coronavirus orders invalid, or show why it shouldn't do so.If doesn't vacate by 5 p.m. May 26, Tues., then further brfs,hrgs likely.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

NPR
@NPR
·
2m
A day after entering its second phase of re-opening, North Carolina has reported its highest one-day spike in new COVID-19 cases: 1,107.

https://t.co/RRWLm8ZWzV?amp=1

Foggy

Post by Foggy »

I think we had a spike in the number of tests, which led to a(n accurate) increase in cases recorded.

But I'm not leaving the house any more than I already have been.
For more information, read it again.

(Fogbow on PayPal)

Addie

Post by Addie »

Yahoo News: Hundreds Line Up as Houston-Area Waterpark Defies Governor's Order to Reopen

A Houston-area waterpark reopened in defiance of state orders on Saturday, May 23, and attracted a line of hundreds of people, most of whom did not wear face-coverings or practise social distancing.

Waterparks across the state were prohibited from opening under Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order issued May 6 that aimed to limit the spread of coronavirus.

However, Big Rivers Waterpark in New Caney, northeast of Houston in Montgomery County, said it would open with at a “limited capacity” of 2,020 guests in the park at any one time. The waterpark’s CEO and developer Monty Galland told local media that staff would be required to wear face masks when interacting with the public.

Footage taken by Monya McDaniel from the morning of the reopening shows long lines. “There are four lines for entry here at Big Rivers and we all just found out all the season pass holders need to be ‘re-processed’ before we get in,” McDaniel said. “There is also a massive line out in the parking lot of non-season pass holders.”

Addie

Post by Addie »

Tampa Bay Times: Ousted manager was told to manipulate COVID-19 data before state's re-opening, she says

Going further than previous comments that led to her ouster this week, a former data manager for Florida’s Department of Health said Friday that a top official directed her to change data to downplay the threat of COVID-19 in rural counties leading up to the reopening of the state.

In text messages to the Tampa Bay Times, Rebekah Jones said the Deputy Secretary for Health, Dr. Shamarial Roberson, directed her to “manipulate” data used in the state’s plan to lift stay-at-home orders.

That reopening plan was first presented by Gov. Ron DeSantis during an April 29 news conference. Jones said the manipulated data was included in that presentation.

“Shamarial Roberson, Deputy Secretary (for) Health, asked me to manipulate the data to mislead the public to support reopening mostly rural counties after the preliminary plan was already drafted and about to be presented,” Jones said in the statement.

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Longing to visit Las Vegas again? Caesars Entertainment says these Strip hotels will reopen first

Ed Komenda, Reno Gazette Journal
USA TODAYMay 22, 2020, 4:23 AM GMT+2

LAS VEGAS – When will tourists get to stroll the Strip in search of new slots, high-end shops and fancy food stops?

Caesars Entertainment, operator of nine properties in this gambling and entertainment mecca, has not unveiled when that will happen because it's up to state and local officials controlling shutdown orders.

But the company on Thursday granted a peek of what tourists can expect from the resort giant when Las Vegas reopens.

Rather than opening all properties at the same time, the chain will first welcome guests to Caesars Palace and the Flamingo Las Vegas.

“Reopening Las Vegas in a phased approach will be a significant milestone for Caesars Entertainment as the country continues to emerge from this necessary closure period,” said Tony Rodio, CEO of Caesars Entertainment in a statement.

Both Caesars Palace and the Flamingo will offer hotel rooms, dining options and access to pools – as well as slot machines and table games.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/longing-visi ... 01572.html

kate520

Post by kate520 »

Raise your hand if you believe any of these fallen faith “leaders” or mush-mouthed “Christian” politicians will apologize for leading the faithful to their doom?
DEFEND DEMOCRACY

Frater I*I

Post by Frater I*I »

kate520 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:56 pm
Raise your hand if you believe any of these fallen faith “leaders” or mush-mouthed “Christian” politicians will apologize for leading the faithful to their doom?
Sure.....

And maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot.... ;)
Gazer Into the SovCit Abyss

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

kate520 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 8:56 pm
They will repent to God only, and not until they are on their death bed, hoping for a free pass into heaven. :violin:

Return to “Coronavirus”