Conservationists

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Conservationists

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.nature.org/en-us/about-us/w ... servation/
6 Black Conservationists and Environmental Activists to Celebrate
Black men and women have been advancing conservation for centuries. Here are just a few of their stories.

One of the most impactful conservationists in the United States’ history, George Washington Carver healed land and uplifted farmers recently freed from slavery.

Born into slavery himself, Carver overcame race-based rejections from multiple colleges and became the first Black student at Iowa State University and later its first Black faculty member.

He helped found the agricultural school at Alabama’s Tuskegee Institute. Upon arriving in the South, Carver noted how degraded the soil was from a long history of intensive cotton growing.

Carver experimented and perfected ways to bring nutrients back to the land: an idea that in modern times is embraced as regenerative agriculture, a powerful climate solution.

Carver’s methods of rotating a variety of crops and turning some cover crops under the soil boosted the land’s productivity. To create a market for diverse soil-fixing crops like peanuts and sweet potatoes, Carver invented hundreds of uses for them.

Due to his contributions to the nation’s agriculture, Carver was the first non-president to be honored with a national monument.
Also, too:

Hattie Carthan

Rue Mapp

Hazel Johnson

Dr. Robert Bullard

Colonel Charles Young

The George Washington Carver National Park in Missouri is a must see.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Sam the Centipede

Re: Conservationists

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I have a vague recollection of reading back in the 1970s an article in a donated issue of Reader's Digest lauding the work of a black (as was, Black as is) man who worked tirelessly to improve the lot of poorer farmers, including researching how peanut crops could be more widely used, for example in manufacturing.

I guess that long forgotten article must have been about George Washington Carver.

Some people are simply excellent.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Conservationists

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

An interesting Carver fact, especially for N10, Carver had a soprano voice. The recordings of him at the National Park are mesmerizing. He was invited to sing publicly as well.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Science”