Mixed drinks
12%
Pot (smoked)
15%
Pot (edibles)
8%
'Shrooooms
3%
I would never pollute my body, you're all degenerates!
4%
Other (do tell)
4%

Total votes: 112

Estiveo
Verified:

Beer, Wine, Liquor, & Recreational Drugs

Post by Estiveo »

Since we keep threadjacking all over the place with discussions of booze and other trendy chemical amusement aids, I thought I'd give us a central location for all things related to intoxicants.

So pour a glass, load a bowl, or pop an edible and pull up a chair.

(Poll assumes substances are legal in your area.)
Image Image Image Image
filly

Re: Beer, Wine, Liquor, & Recreational Drugs

Post by filly »

Clickbait!

I don’t drink much anymore but nothing beats a dirty martini, a lemon drop or a superb California Cab!!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Uh, you only get three options. :shock:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

When I do have a drink (which is kind of rare) it's usually a beer or cold vodka, a "clean" martini if you will.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

CHAMPAGNE!!!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I did the 'Shrooooms thing one time back in '97'. U2 Concert @OhioState. It was fun -- until the next day w/ the hallucination flash-backs.

Did cocaine all of 5 times at most -- peer pressure. Didn't like that at all.

Give me some ganja, sit me in a corner and leave me alone and I'm good.
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

I haven't drank much for decades, but after being diagnosed with NASH a year ago, I trimmed back to a glass of wine on my anniversary.

That leaves me with the last few to select from (and I ain't telling). :smoking:
filly

Post by filly »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:24 pm I haven't drank much for decades, but after being diagnosed with NASH a year ago, I trimmed back to a glass of wine on my anniversary.

That leaves me with the last few to select from (and I ain't telling). :smoking:
Yikes! Had to Google. Poor thing.

Mr Filly is limited to two drinks per day due to his epilepsy meds. He was never a big drinker. But now he has two glasses of wine every single day. Because.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

jez wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:16 pm When I do have a drink (which is kind of rare) it's usually a beer or cold vodka, a "clean" martini if you will.
:talktothehand: :fingerwag: :nope: Vodka has its place; in a martini is not one of them.

A martini is gin which has been shown a photo of a bottle of dry vermouth, and stirred slightly with two olives on a toothpick. (Preferably one of those little plastic sword ones)
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona

Estiveo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:35 pm
jez wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:16 pm When I do have a drink (which is kind of rare) it's usually a beer or cold vodka, a "clean" martini if you will.
:talktothehand: :fingerwag: :nope: Vodka has its place; in a martini is not one of them.

A martini is gin which has been shown a photo of a bottle of dry vermouth, and stirred slightly with two olives on a toothpick. (Preferably one of those little plastic sword ones)
I'm a fan of Espresso martinis when I get the hankering, those are vodka and good!
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Just watched something on TV this morning that said that gin is just vodka with spices.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

filly wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:34 pm
Mr. Gneiss wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:24 pm I haven't drank much for decades, but after being diagnosed with NASH a year ago, I trimmed back to a glass of wine on my anniversary.

Yikes! Had to Google. Poor thing.

Mr Filly is limited to two drinks per day due to his epilepsy meds. He was never a big drinker. But now he has two glasses of wine every single day. Because.
I have to limit my fluid intake in general because kidneys, so I don't drink much beer or wine anymore. I've always loved sparkling wines, but when you can only have one glass a day, and the bottle is flat the next day, it's a wasteful indulgence.

Then I saw these wee tiny bottles of LaMarca prosecco.
Estiveoshot_20220203_094408.jpg
It's like they were made for me!

But my go-to is usually a couple fingers of a good single malt.
Image Image Image Image
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:37 pm

I'm a fan of Espresso martinis when I get the hankering, those are vodka and good!
Froo-froo drinks with martini in the name are not martinis. :nope: :boxing:
Image Image Image Image
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:40 pm Just watched something on TV this morning that said that gin is just vodka with spices.
Gin is a delicate balance of multiple aromatic botanicals, the apex of the distiller's art.

Vodka is a step up from prison toilet wine.
Image Image Image Image
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

filly wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:34 pm Mr Filly is limited to two drinks per day due to his epilepsy meds. He was never a big drinker. But now he has two glasses of wine every single day. Because.
My father turns 100 in 7 weeks and has a large glass of wine every night before dinner and a double helping of Emmets before going to bed at 7:00 p.m. His reason is the same....Because!
raison de arizona

Estiveo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:49 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:37 pm

Froo-froo drinks with martini in the name are not martinis. :nope: :boxing:
But it has two of mah favorite things, coffee and alcohol! :mrgreen:
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Getting (?) old and almost teetotal, part of the reason being it’s so hard to find a really good pint of bitter where I live; generally mediocre at best which isn’t much enticement. :(
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:55 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:40 pm Just watched something on TV this morning that said that gin is just vodka with spices.
Gin is a delicate balance of multiple aromatic botanicals, the apex of the distiller's art.

Vodka is a step up from prison toilet wine.
:rotflmao:

You don't like aquavit? :dance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:55 pm Vodka is a step up from prison toilet wine.
Oi! Hold up... Vodka mixes with anything (and it doesn't smell).
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

James bond disagrees. But just passing on the message.

I have to admit. I have never in my life enjoyed being intoxicated even during the brief period of my misspent youth when I was plainly a drunk. Whenever I have done anything, it has been peer pressure. In the Army, a circle of friends used to come up with drinks the purpose of which was to see who could keep one down and once having mastered it, how many one could keep down. Our signature concoction was an Ebva Schneeva, a disturbing idea first mixed in Germany with Ouzo, Jack Daniels, 151 Rum and Root Beer Schnapps. I could do 3.Its disturbing enough to remember I did this, but when you consider that at the time my day job was flying an attack helicopter I wonder that I lived.

That being said, I have always found immense humor in drug and drink jokes. I loved Dean Martin and the ice cubes in the glass routine at the start of every show, and Cheech and Chong will leave me on the floor laughing to this day.
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I don't drink much; never really did more than an occasional beer, wine, or mixed drink. I have been hung over only once in my life, many years ago. Never did that again. But for a long time, I could drink all I wanted. I would stay high for a few days without ever paying for it, until that one time.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Gregg wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:44 pm and Cheech and Chong will leave me on the floor laughing to this day.
I had no idea what you were talking about... I had to Google. I'm just an innocent boy.

poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

I stopped drinking in March 2020 just before the lockdown because I had been wanting to take a break it that seemed to be a good time to do it. I have found as I get older my tolerance for alcohol wasn't like it was in my younger years. I sometimes had a hard time saying no to a second, third, and even fourth drink in recent years so I joined the Live Alcohol Experiment by Annie Grace, author of This Naked Mind. I didn't want to go to AA meetings because I didn't consider myself addicted, just unable to control my intake at times but not always. Once I understood the psychology and the chemistry that caused the desire to drink, I was done with it. No more hangovers, lack of sleep, upset stomach, and fuzzy memory. I like alcohol free beer on occasion. Coors Edge is my favorite. Plus my 77 y/o husband has always been a heavy drinker, so that was another reason I needed to be 100% sober because he has other health issues including dementia. He's been alcohol free since last October after a 4 day stay in the hospital because he fell and couldn't get up. It was a combination of alcohol and his heart meds that caused it. His heart doc reduced the dosage on a couple of the meds and he's been doing much better. I'm going to be the bitch wife from hell if he starts drinking again!

I do use THC/CBD vape pens which isn't on the list. I look for strains that are good for arthritis pain and sleep. Sativa gives me heart palpitations so I avoid that. I had a medical mj card for several years until it all became legal here in NV. And I get a senior/veteran discount at the dispensaries. :oldlady:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Despite having 2 shirts given to me that say "beer snob" and both family and choir members giving me gift certificates to my local craft beer store (or to the larger chain Binney's) I only have one, maybe 2 drinks a day (a beer/ale earlier and some type of liquor/mixed drink later, maybe), though some of the beers I drink are rather heavy. I don't like feeling drunk, or even tipsy. It's probably a control thing.

However, I guess I should state that in terms of beer, I may be a bit snobbish. It's the Michigan in me.... HOPSLAM!!!!!!

I do have some nice liquors such as a really good gin by a local distiller, Scotch from Kilchoman, and a bourbon aged in maple syrup barrels from a distillery in Thompsonville, Michigan (if you are not Filly, hold up your right hand with palm facing you and Thompsonville is a tiny town just above your last knuckle on your pinky). No vodka, even though, by having no smell you don't have the awkwardness of it sniffing back when you sniff it.

Not so good with wine but getting a little better with Pinot Noir. It does not keep long enough so I would need to drink only it for a few days and not my IPAs.

As for weed, I be clueless and have no urge to change that. Not my thing but it's fine if it is for others.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

DAMMIT this thread is making me want a cocktail. A dirty martini sounds perfect but I have to look in the pantries to see if I have olives. Living in different places makes keeping an inventory in my head more difficult!

Return to “General Stuff”