Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Spotify Protects Joe Rogan, Loses Artists Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and Nils Lofgren.

How Will Spotify Try To Get Out Of Their Self-Inflicted PootPoop™ Toilet?

Drop Joe Rogan, Beg For Forgiveness
12%
Beg For Forgiveness, Fire Some Folks, Hope It Blows Over
18%
Be Defiant, Market to Rich Trumpers & Anti Vaxxers
3%
Pretend It Didn't Happen
62%
Other (Explain)
6%

Total votes: 34

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Spotify Protects Joe Rogan, Loses Artists Neil Young, Joni Mitchell and Nils Lofgren.

Post by Luke »

Spotify created a disaster for themselves. To protect idiot Joe Rogan and his COVID misinformation, they let Neil Young leave the platform. Now tons of artists are following suit. They had to shut down their customer service lines. They've lost over $2 billion in market value.
Spotify finally responds to Joe Rogan controversy with a plan to label podcasts that discuss COVID-19
The company is also publishing its content rules for the first time
By Emma Roth Jan 30, 2022, 3:46pm EST

Spotify will now add COVID-19 content advisories to podcast episodes that discuss COVID-19 following criticism of the platform’s handling of the controversial content in the Joe Rogan Experience. The advisory will lead to Spotify’s COVID-19 hub, which contains credible and up-to-date information about the pandemic.

To increase transparency around its treatment of the issue, Spotify is making its COVID-19 content policy and general platform rules publicly available on its site. Spotify says anyone who breaks the rules may have the content in question removed, with repeat offenders potentially having their accounts suspended or banned. The Verge obtained this policy ahead of the platform’s public release, and an internal memo revealed that Joe Rogan’s podcast didn’t “meet the threshold for removal.”

Neil Young says he ‘felt better’ after leaving Spotify and its ‘shitty’ sound quality
According to the policy, Spotify prohibits content that asserts “AIDS, COVID-19, cancer or other serious life threatening diseases are a hoax or not real.” The platform also bans content that encourages people “to purposely get infected with COVID-19 in order to build immunity” and doesn’t allow content that suggests vaccines “are designed to cause death.” However, a line present in the document posted internally is not there in the version available on Spotify’s website, which prohibits “Suggesting that wearing a mask will cause the wearer imminent, life-threatening physical harm.”

“You’ve had a lot of questions over the last few days about our platform policies and the lines we have drawn between what is acceptable and what is not,” Spotify CEO Daniel Ek says in a blog post. “We have had rules in place for many years but admittedly, we haven’t been transparent around the policies that guide our content more broadly...Based on the feedback over the last several weeks, it’s become clear to me that we have an obligation to do more to provide balance and access to widely-accepted information from the medical and scientific communities guiding us through this unprecedented time.”

Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, and Nils Lofgren have all had their music removed from the platform in protest of Rogan’s podcast, where he has, among other things, suggested that healthy young people don’t need the COVID-19 vaccine. Popular podcaster Brené Brown also says she will take a break from adding new episodes to her Spotify-exclusive shows, although it’s unclear whether the controversy surrounding Rogan was the cause.
https://www.theverge.com/2022/1/30/2290 ... nformation

ENTERTAINMENT
Spotify has lost over $2 billion amid Joe Rogan controversy
Published: 30/Jan/2022 11:28 by Sam Comrie

Streaming giants Spotify are finding themselves in deep water amid the ongoing Joe Rogan controversy, as acclaimed musicians pull their entire catalog’s from the platform and the market value drops. Spotify has long served as a home to millions of musicians but has also allowed podcasters to reach a wider audience. The Joe Rogan Experience is one such podcast to benefit and thrive immensely on the platform but is ultimately causing the platform to take a severe financial hit. Now, it has been reported that Spotify is set to lose over $2 billion of revenue as a result of Rogan’s controversial podcast.

According to Variety, Spotify saw their “stock closed Thursday (Jan. 27) at a 19-month low of $171.32/share.” Musicians Neil Young and Joni Mitchell are atop of the growing list of artists pulling their back catalog from Spotify. Young’s catalog removal, in particular, has played a vital part in Spotify’s value plummeting. Over the course of three days, Spotify lost an estimated $2.1 billion in revenue*. Neil Young penned an open letter to the platform and podcaster Joe Rogan, claiming that “Spotify has recently become a very damaging force via its public misinformation.”

All folks looking for my music can easily head to AMAZON MUSIC and click here https://t.co/xvhKGMkA36 – all new listeners will get four months free. pic.twitter.com/a66GaGUKEk
— Neil Young Archives (@NeilYoungNYA) January 28, 2022

Though the original letter has been deleted, Young proposed an ultimate to Spotify in regards to Rogan: “I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform.” “They can have Rogan or Young. Not both” Young said in his conclusion. Since his entire library of music left Spotify, Young has been encouraging fans to make the leap to other streaming platforms such as Amazon Music and Apple Music.
https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/s ... y-1751849/

* This writer doesn't understand the difference between revenue and share value but it's still a disaster. And these things have lag, people are just getting to know about this issue. Spotify is fuc*ed. There are so many alternatives. This is right up there with the Only Fans disaster.

How will they try to get out of this?
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Dr. Caligari

Re: Spotify Protects Joe Rogan, Loses Dozens of Artists Neil Young, Streisand, Rolling Stones, McCartney et al

Post by Dr. Caligari »

This writer doesn't understand the difference between revenue and share value but it's still a disaster.

Revenue is how much cash they take in. Market value is current stock market price for a share multiplied by the number of shares issued.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
RVInit

Re: Spotify Protects Joe Rogan, Loses Dozens of Artists Neil Young, Streisand, Rolling Stones, McCartney et al

Post by RVInit »

A simple "notice" on podcasts that spread misinformation isn't enough. I won't go back to Spotify unless they tell Rogan and anyone else that is spreading misinformation about a deadly virus that they cannot push this misinformation at all. Period. Putting a notice on it that it may be "bad" in some way is useless to get people to stop, humans being what we are, and something about forbidden fruit.

I put myself through college working as a bartender. I worked for about a year at a particular restaurant in a hotel that was popular with International travelers. I cooked meals as well as tended bar. The most common issue I ran into were people from Italy and other countries that would order wine with their dinner and expected their teenagers to be served as well. In many European countries teenagers learn to drink more responsibly because drinking is not forbidden. Sixteen year teens are served wine at the dinner table and according to people who know a lot more about alcohol abuse than I ever will European teens don't have nearly the same dangerous drinking habits as teens in the USA. That started me wondering about how the fact that in the USA teen drinking is forbidden, and how it's possible that this plays into the difference in how teens in America use alcohol.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn told me Spotify gave Rogan a $100 million contract, can that be right? Who in their right mind thinks he's worth that, not even counting other artists leaving? :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

That's what I heard.

Question: what do you call someone who rents space to a racist?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:27 pm That's what I heard.

:callonme:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

A greedy f*ckin' racist.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:53 pm

A greedy f*ckin' racist.
Corporations are people, my friend! :oldlady:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Spotify had kept quiet for most of the week, but in a blog post Sunday, co-founder and Chief Executive Daniel Ek announced some changes, while not mentioning Young or Rogan by name.
BY: DANIEL EK
Spotify’s Platform Rules and Approach to COVID-19
JANUARY 30, 2022

A decade ago, we created Spotify to enable the work of creators around the world to be heard and enjoyed by listeners around the world. To our very core, we believe that listening is everything. Pick almost any issue and you will find people and opinions on either side of it. Personally, there are plenty of individuals and views on Spotify that I disagree with strongly. We know we have a critical role to play in supporting creator expression while balancing it with the safety of our users. In that role, it is important to me that we don’t take on the position of being content censor while also making sure that there are rules in place and consequences for those who violate them.

You’ve had a lot of questions over the last few days about our platform policies and the lines we have drawn between what is acceptable and what is not. We have had rules in place for many years but admittedly, we haven’t been transparent around the policies that guide our content more broadly. This, in turn, led to questions around their application to serious issues including COVID-19.

Based on the feedback over the last several weeks, it’s become clear to me that we have an obligation to do more to provide balance and access to widely-accepted information from the medical and scientific communities guiding us through this unprecedented time. These issues are incredibly complex. We’ve heard you – especially those from the medical and scientific communities – and are taking the following steps:

Today we are publishing our long-standing Platform Rules. These policies were developed by our internal team in concert with a number of outside experts and are updated regularly to reflect the changing safety landscape. These are rules of the road to guide all of our creators—from those we work with exclusively to those whose work is shared across multiple platforms. You can now find them on our newsroom, and they’ll live permanently on the main Spotify website. They are being localized into various languages to help our users understand how Spotify assesses all content on our platform.

We are working to add a content advisory to any podcast episode that includes a discussion about COVID-19. This advisory will direct listeners to our dedicated COVID-19 Hub, a resource that provides easy access to data-driven facts, up-to-date information as shared by scientists, physicians, academics and public health authorities around the world, as well as links to trusted sources. This new effort to combat misinformation will roll out to countries around the world in the coming days. To our knowledge, this content advisory is the first of its kind by a major podcast platform.

We will also begin testing ways to highlight our Platform Rules in our creator and publisher tools to raise awareness around what’s acceptable and help creators understand their accountability for the content they post on our platform. This is in addition to the terms that creators and publishers agree to governing their use of our services.

I want you to know that from the very first days of the pandemic, Spotify has been biased toward action. We launched a variety of educational resources and campaigns to raise awareness and we developed and promoted a global COVID-19 Information Hub. We donated ad inventory to various organizations for vaccine awareness, funds to the World Health Organization and COVID-19 Vaccines Global Access (COVAX) to increase vaccine equity and supported the Go Give One fundraising campaign. And we established a music relief project to support the creative community. While this is not a complete list, I hope it gives you a sense of how seriously we’ve approached the pandemic as a company.

I trust our policies, the research and expertise that inform their development, and our aspiration to apply them in a way that allows for broad debate and discussion, within the lines. We take this seriously and will continue to partner with experts and invest heavily in our platform functionality and product capabilities for the benefit of creators and listeners alike. That doesn’t mean that we always get it right, but we are committed to learning, growing and evolving.

Daniel
https://newsroom.spotify.com/2022-01-30 ... -covid-19/

Content that promotes dangerous false or dangerous deceptive medical information that may cause offline harm or poses a direct threat to public health includes, but may not be limited to:

asserting that AIDS, COVID-19, cancer or other serious life threatening diseases are a hoax or not real
encouraging the consumption of bleach products to cure various illnesses and diseases
promoting or suggesting that vaccines approved by local health authorities are designed to cause death
encouraging people to purposely get infected with COVID-19 in order to build immunity to it (e.g. promoting or hosting “coronavirus parties”)
https://newsroom.spotify.com/2022-01-30 ... orm-rules/

IDK about this story... therre's lots of other choices to hear these artists:
‘There’s a half-life to these protests and boycotts’: Will Spotify’s decision to keep Joe Rogan’s podcast lead to a wave of cancelations?
Last Updated: Jan. 30, 2022 at 2:51 p.m. ET First Published: Jan. 28, 2022 at 4:44 p.m. ET By Elisabeth Buchwald
‘There’s a half-life to these protests and boycotts,’ said Columbia University marketing professor Mark Cohen, referring to people canceling their Spotify subscriptions.

Many users took to Twitter this week to say that they’re canceling Spotify over the company’s decision to leave Joe Rogan’s podcast up, despite the false claims made on it regarding COVID-19. Spotify’s SPOT, +0.97% decision to keep Joe Rogan’s podcast — which in multiple instances has broadcast false claims about COVID-19 vaccines — is leading many users to say they’re canceling their subscription to the streaming service. Their actions come as Neil Young announced he would pull his music off the platform if Spotify continued to feature Rogan’s podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience.”

Spotify paid Rogan a reported $100 million to secure his podcast in 2020. In 2019, before moving to Spotify, Rogan said his podcast had 190 million downloads per month. Late Friday, singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell, 78, who has more than 3.7 million monthly listeners on the music-streaming service, called on Spotify to take her music off the platform. Young, who had over 6 million monthly listeners on the service, said Spotify is “spreading fake information about vaccines — potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them.” On Wednesday, Spotify ultimately allowed Young to pull the plug but made no changes to Rogan’s podcast, which was the most popular podcast worldwide on Spotify last year. “I Stand With Neil Young!” she wrote on her website. “I’ve decided to remove all my music from Spotify. Irresponsible people are spreading lies that are costing people their lives.”

But those who wish to teach Spotify a lesson for sticking with Rogan, an anti-vax proponent, will have a long way to go. Spotify has approximately 300 monthly listeners, including 172 million paid subscribers worldwide, and has roughly a 31% share of the global music-streaming market (ahead of Apple AAPL with around 15%). Will the wave of reported cancelations — as reported on social media — last? Probably not, said Mark Cohen, director of retail studies at Columbia University. “There’s a half-life to these protests and boycotts,” he told MarketWatch. “They don’t last very long, and lots of folks who say they’re canceling this subscription probably aren’t or they’ll renew them.”

Spotify didn’t respond to MarketWatch’s inquiry regarding how many users canceled their subscriptions this week and it didn’t respond to questions about the difficulty some users reportedly encountered attempting to cancel their subscriptions. Right now, “Spotify is making a calculated decision that this will pass,” Cohen added. “Generally speaking, that’s correct. But they might be risking far more damage than they can imagine because the subject of the dispute is something that’s explosive,” he said referring to health evidence on the dangers of not getting vaccinated against COVID-19. In a tweet posted on Thursday, World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus thanked Young for his advocacy against spreading lies about COVID-19. Apple Music AAPL, +6.98% took a dig at Spotify on Thursday, reminding customers that they “can listen to Young’s entire catalog.”
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/will- ... quote_news
Springsteen; Queen; Pearl Jam; Dave Grohl; All Remove Music From Spotify
This is huge and Spotify should be worried since Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Barbra Streisand, Queen, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Dave Grohl, Joni Mitchell, Pearl Jam are removing their music from streaming platform in solidarity with Neil Young!!! if you are a true music lover then Remove Spotify…

CelebnMusic247.com reports that Spotify is getting CANCELLED by the music industry after Neil Young gave the streaming platform an ultimatum demanding that his catalogue be removed in response to “fake information about vaccines” on the platform. Neil Young has 6,084,982 monthly listeners who will no longer be able to listen to any of his music since he had all his music removed. And now the rock music industry is following in his footsteps in solidarity.

A Spotify spokesperson told The Washington Post in a statement"
We want all the world’s music and audio content to be available to Spotify users. With that comes great responsibility in balancing both safety for listeners and freedom for creators. We have detailed content policies in place and we’ve removed over 20,000 podcast episodes related to covid-19 since the start of the pandemic. We regret Neil’s decision to remove his music from Spotify, but hope to welcome him back soon.
Young’s letter, which has since been deleted, was addressed to his manager and an executive at his record label and cited Joe Rogan, who hosts “The Joe Rogan Experience” podcast, as part of his issue with Spotify. Young wrote Monday, according to Rolling Stone:
I am doing this because Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines — potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them…Please act on this immediately today and keep me informed of the time schedule. I want you to let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform…They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.
As of today, Willie Nelson, Bruce Springsteen, Barbra Streisand, Queen, Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Dave Grohl, Joni Mitchell, Pearl Jam have also had their music removed.

Spotify Loses $4 Billion in Market Value After #DeleteSpotify – #ByeByeSpotify – #CancelSpotify gained Traction! Spotify lost $4 billion in market value this week after rock icon Neil Young called out the company for allowing comedian Joe Rogan to use its service to spread misinformation about the COVID vaccine on his popular podcast, “The Joe Rogan Experience.” At the end of the day Friday, Jan. 28, shares of Spotify were down about 12% from where they closed last week, according to data from Nasdaq, against a broader index that was flat over the same period. The hashtags #DeleteSpotify and #CancelSpotify also gained traction on social media, with many websites offering step-by-step instructions for users to remove the app from their devices. – SFChronicle As reported by Variety, Spotify shares dropped 6 per cent from January 26 to 28 after Young pulled his music from the platform. The streaming service had already seen its stock prices drop since the start of 2022, reporting a 25 per cent decrease in share value as of January 25.

When it comes to listeners Here are the Numbers:
Neil Young has 6,084,982 monthly listeners
Willie Nelson has 5,416,350 monthly listeners.
Queen has 36,605,559 monthly listeners
Pearl Jam has 10,448,620 monthly listeners
Bruce Springsteen has 13,506,679 monthly listeners
Barbara Streisand has 3,978,858 monthly listeners
Dave Grohl has 412,940 monthly listeners
Paul McCartney has 10,455,831 monthly listeners
The Rolling Stones has 19,487,305 monthly listeners
https://celebnmusic247.com/springsteen- ... m-spotify/

They're going to have a lovely morning opening tomorrow.
Spotify Technology SA NYSE: SPOT
SPOT Chart.JPG
SPOT Chart.JPG (60.68 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
SPOT YTD.JPG
SPOT YTD.JPG (65.83 KiB) Viewed 1430 times
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

"Pick almost any issue and you will find people and opinions on either side of it. "
+
"We are working to add a content advisory to any podcast episode that includes a discussion about COVID-19."

That's not gonna age well.
filly

Post by filly »

Too little, too late. Very weak response by Spotify, employing the same failed BS Facebook and Twitter employed. Actually it’s worse because their stupidity advisory will be like 15 seconds of audio at the beginning then hours of fatal lies will follow. At least with the “disputed “ labels in writing the reader could see them while reading the lies.

Publishing their internal “rules” which are never enforced is about us as effective as Merrick Garland watching the en da of democracy from the sidelines.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:25 pm Ol' Wifehorn told me Spotify gave Rogan a $100 million contract, can that be right? Who in their right mind thinks he's worth that, not even counting other artists leaving? :confuzzled:
Facts not in evidence
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RVInit wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:36 pm A simple "notice" on podcasts that spread misinformation isn't enough. I won't go back to Spotify unless they tell Rogan and anyone else that is spreading misinformation about a deadly virus that they cannot push this misinformation at all. Period. Putting a notice on it that it may be "bad" in some way is useless to get people to stop, humans being what we are, and something about forbidden fruit.
Yes, let's keep giving him a forum although everything he says is a lie.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:25 pm Ol' Wifehorn told me Spotify gave Rogan a $100 million contract, can that be right?
ARE YOU QUESTIONING OL' WIFEHORN?????? :panic:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:00 pm "Pick almost any issue and you will find people and opinions on either side of it. "
+
"We are working to add a content advisory to any podcast episode that includes a discussion about COVID-19."

COVID-19 is a disease, not an "issue."
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

pipistrelle wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:53 pm
p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:00 pm "Pick almost any issue and you will find people and opinions on either side of it. "
+

COVID-19 is a disease, not an "issue."
Too also, their clever solution* reads as putting a warning/link on _all_ podcasts related to COVID, regardless of which side* the podcast favors. Because vaccines are an opinion*. And all opinions* are equal.

And some opinions are more equal than others.
filly

Post by filly »

Why does this thread title imply the Stones, Streisand and McCarney pulled their music? Did I miss something?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Apparently it's all over Twitter & Facebook, and isn't true. Shocking, I know.
Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

My big issue right now with changing is how long it would take me to recreate my playlist. So far, none of the artists I listen to regularly have left, though I will be kind of surprised if some don't, but the playlist thing is almost like a trap because setting one up can take so damn long - especially if you have a couple hundred or more songs on your main list along with several secondary lists.

[/first-world, third-grade whining]
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

In Breaking News, Yoko Ono has threatened to have her music added to Spotify if they don't ditch Rogan.

(Shamelessly stolen from Jonathan Tessler on facebook.)
Hic sunt dracones
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:29 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:53 pm

A greedy f*ckin' racist.
Corporations are people, my friend! :oldlady:
I'll only buy that when Texas executes one. :twisted:
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
filly

Post by filly »

I saw on CNN yesterday (a chyron) that James Blunt threatened to release new music if Spotify continues with Joe Rogan. :P
filly

Post by filly »

Estiveo wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:31 pm Apparently it's all over Twitter & Facebook, and isn't true. Shocking, I know.

I hope Orlylicious will change the thread title then.

Return to “Computers and Internet”