Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

The contract is explicit that it only applies to damage, etc. done by monitoring activities performed on that date. Still :mad2: but not :torches:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Also, too, I wouldn't trust them not to try to blame damage done on the monitoring rather than the derailment.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Rules for life:
1) Don't talk to the cops.
2) Don't sign anything.
Despicable.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:37 pm The contract is explicit that it only applies to damage, etc. done by monitoring activities performed on that date. Still :mad2: but not :torches:
Good catch.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:05 pm Actually, the train was headed for Conway, PA, across the border, to the train yard. They don't even have the benefit of the jobs. :shh:
Oh he doesn't actually need to create jobs, just convince people they would have fewer if he was not protecting them from environmental regulation, and that it is really the fault of all those city folk!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Funny how precisions scheduling is all about creating "value" by reducing operational costs, i.e. less staff.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-train-de ... d=97281671
The head of the National Transportation Safety Board said the agency "is working vigorously to understand what caused" the Feb. 3 train derailment in East Palestine, Ohio.

In a rare series of posts on Twitter on Thursday evening, NTSB Chair Jennifer Homendy issued "a message to the community" as well as "a plea to those spreading misinformation."

"To everyone affected: know that @NTSB is working vigorously to understand what caused this train derailment -- so it never happens again," Homendy tweeted. "You have my personal commitment that the NTSB will CONTINUE to share all information publicly as soon as possible following our analysis."

"Next: NTSB investigators will thoroughly examine the tank cars once decontaminated. As always, we'll issue urgent safety recommendations as needed," she continued. "Urgent safety recommendations may be issued at any time; meaning, we don't wait until the end of our investigation if immediate safety action is warranted."

She added: "Nothing…nothing is more important than accuracy at a moment like this, which is why the NTSB is deliberate in our approach to investigations. Credibility is ESSENTIAL to our lifesaving mission. The NTSB process WORKS.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... -rcna71669
WASHINGTON — Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro said Tuesday that his office has made a criminal referral in response to the recent train derailment over the border in East Palestine, Ohio, and the aftereffects on the environment and nearby communities.

Shapiro shared the information at a news conference in East Palestine with Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine, Environmental Protection Agency Administrator Michael Regan and other officials. A reporter had asked what actions the governors might take, such as penalizing Norfolk Southern, the rail company involved in the Feb. 3 derailment.

"We've made a criminal referral to the acting attorney general in Pennsylvania to review, and acting Attorney General [Michelle] Henry can speak to that beyond my comments," Shapiro said.

Shapiro, a Democrat, was the state's attorney general before he was elected governor last year. He provided no further details about the referral.

In a statement Tuesday, Henry's office said it was “outraged” on behalf of residents suffering from the impacts of the derailment and confirmed that it had received the criminal referral.

“We have just received a criminal referral from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection and will act quickly to investigate this incident, gather the facts, and then evaluate the evidence to make a determination under Pennsylvania law," the statement said. "Pennsylvanians have a constitutional right to clean air and pure water, and we will not hesitate to hold anyone or any company responsible for environmental crimes in our Commonwealth.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I believe this clip of ten days ago did not make it into this thread

Video appears to show Ohio train on fire 20 miles before derailing

CBS News
13 Feb 2023 #ohio #derailment #train

Footage captured by a security camera appears to show the Ohio train that derailed earlier this month was on fire 20 miles before reaching the site where it burst into a toxic fireball. Erica Mokay, a reporter for CBS News Pittsburgh station KDKA-TV, joins Tony Dokoupil and Lilia Luciano to discuss the new questions raised by the alarming footage.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I had not seen that before.
tek

Post by tek »

If everything contained is true, this is a pretty good look at what happened in Ohio:
https://news.wgcu.org/2023-02-23/heres- ... -palestine

While reading related things last night, I came across an interesting (somewhat long) paper:
https://www.railwayage.com/wp-content/u ... er-3.0.pdf

My non-professional opinion after reading both is that ECP brakes, by themselves, would not have prevented this accident.. BUT ECP brakes can be set up for real-time "hot-box" monitoring, and that WOULD have prevented this accident.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

tek wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:37 am :snippity:

My non-professional opinion after reading both is that ECP brakes, by themselves, would not have prevented this accident.. BUT ECP brakes can be set up for real-time "hot-box" monitoring, and that WOULD have prevented this accident.
Just had this genius flash (already patented?): how about a copy of the fire extinguishers mounted in ceilings - have a hose running from the main air pressure brake line out to the reels and bearings, ending in a melting plug. When the plug ends its life due to heat, the pressurised air blows out, triggering low pressure in the main brake line and initiating an emergency stop. The detector line would not have to be full sized, just attached over a pressure reduction valve and some trigger device. :confuzzled:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby found this!

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Seen in East Palestine: Buttigieg, Giuliani and a total political circus
The partisan fracas over a Feb. 3 derailment has drawn politicians, national media and a TikTok broadcaster to eastern Ohio. It hasn’t eased residents’ worries.

By ADAM WREN
02/23/2023 09:53 PM EST

EAST PALESTINE, Ohio — Pete Buttigieg rolled into this deep-Republican village in his government-issued SUV on Thursday, looking to address the public uproar over this month’s toxic train wreck.

He found a community where the circus had arrived.

the whole fun at https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/2 ... i-00084286
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

In Town Where Train Derailed, Lawyers Are Signing Up Clients in Droves
Lawyers have poured into East Palestine, Ohio, since the derailment that led to a burn-off of toxic chemicals, filing more than a dozen lawsuits so far on behalf of local residents.

By Campbell Robertson
Feb. 24, 2023

EAST PALESTINE, Ohio — In the three weeks since a freight train derailed in East Palestine and released more than 100,000 gallons of toxic chemicals, lawyers have poured into the little town, signing up clients, gathering evidence and already filing more than a dozen lawsuits in federal court on behalf of local residents.

They have held information sessions nearly everywhere a crowd can gather, including at a nearby Best Western, at the American Legion hall and in the packed cafeteria at East Palestine High School. Their message overall has been one of warning: It may be months, years or possibly even decades before the derailment’s ultimate effect on people’s health, property values or the soil and water becomes clear.

Further, the lawyers say, early moves by Norfolk Southern, the operator of the train, suggest that getting comprehensive answers from the company will not be easy.

Among a public that is deeply skeptical of official test results — Gov. Mike DeWine, a Republican, and other state and federal officials say they have not shown anything alarming so far — or camera-friendly efforts at reassurance, these warnings have resonated.

The distrust has been deepened by a sense that politicians are not being diligent enough in their response to the disaster; on Friday, President Biden said he had no plans to visit, though he pointed out that federal officials had arrived there within hours of the crash and was “keeping very close tabs on” the situation.

“They get what’s happening,” said Rene Rocha, a lawyer with the supersize personal injury firm Morgan & Morgan, during a state hearing about the derailment on Thursday in Beaver County, Pa., just across the border from East Palestine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/24/us/e ... suits.html
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Michigan, Texas officials unaware Ohio contaminated soil, water, taken to their areas: 'We were sandbagged'

Adam Sabes
Sun, February 26, 2023 at 3:45 AM GMT+1

Officials from Texas and Michigan say they were unaware that soil and water from the site of the East Palestine, Ohio, freight train derailment was being taken to their areas.

A Norfolk Southern train with 50 rail cars, 10 of which were carrying vinyl chloride, derailed in East Palestine on Feb. 3. The derailment caused hazardous chemicals to spill onto the ground and sent a plume of smoke into the air.

Days after the derailment, officials conducted a controlled release of chemicals to avoid the risk of an explosion. Residents were evacuated before officials conducted the release, but have since been allowed back.

Wastewater and soil from the site of the derailment was taken to hazardous waste companies in both Texas and Michigan, and some officials claim that they didn't get any notice.

A spokesperson for the Environmental Protection agency told Fox News Digital that Norfolk Southern was in charge of the disposal of waste from the East Palestine derailment, adding that "The company supplied Ohio EPA with their list of selected and utilized disposal facilities on February 23."

The spokesperson said that waste shipments from the East Palestine derailment site is now on pause.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-tex ... 01382.html
(original: Fox News)
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Me: Let’s see if the sentiment expressed actual results in change for the better

washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/27/ohio-train-derailment

Me:
I received a gifted link to the above - not sure how to post it here.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:46 pm Me: Let’s see if the sentiment expressed actual results in change for the better

washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/02/27/ohio-train-derailment

Me:
I received a gifted link to the above - not sure how to post it here.
just repost the one you received, not the true article like, the short references with credentials to the original subscriber.

May have been this article, perhaps?
Opinion 5 good points the right is making about the Ohio train disaster

By Paul Waldman and Greg Sargent
February 27, 2023 at 6:30 a.m. EST

The derailment of a train carrying toxic chemicals in eastern Ohio has led to calls for an examination of the government’s disaster response, new regulation to safeguard public health and safety, and better working conditions for railroad workers. What’s unusual is that these calls are coming not just from Democrats and progressives but also from Republicans and right-leaning writers, suggesting that the disaster could open up possibilities for bipartisan problem-solving.

As some Republicans are trying to demonstrate a more populist, less reflexively anti-government bent, this provides an opportunity for them to show that they mean what they say. After all, it’s easy for Republicans to pretend to be anti-corporate by criticizing a company for being “woke.” It’s something else entirely to support government action that challenges unfettered corporate power and genuinely improves people’s lives. This is where the new breed of conservative populism often seems to wither.

But this disaster has prompted some on the right to step up and embrace big ideas that could be the basis of both a new perspective on the relationship between business and government and cooperation with Democrats. Here’s a rundown:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... publicans/
Gift link https://wapo.st/3IY3PSW
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Yes - that is the one :)

Gift link was via Facebook and the Luddite in me pushed to the front ;)
northland10

Post by northland10 »

We’re skeptical, but we’re hopeful.
Well, that kept me from saying the author was completely naive, but, seriously, you really think there is reason to be hopeful with the right on what they said? While a few may follow what they said, the rest only said stuff to complain about Biden and the administration. The minute he tries to do exactly what they ask, they will balk and kill it.

More regulation, more government involvement, more spending on infrastructure? Ain't gonna happen with those folks.

I am quite willing for them to prove me wrong. I'm skeptical that they will.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Soooooo, Texas feels that sending (fill in the blank) across state lines without warning the receiving state so they can prepare for what's coming is a bad thing.......oh wait.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:55 pm Soooooo, Texas feels that sending (fill in the blank) across state lines without warning the receiving state so they can prepare for what's coming is a bad thing.......oh wait.
That is probably not a fair comparison. The person complaining from Texas is the county judge of Haris County and is a democrat. It was not her playing the "ship them immigrants" game.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Send some to Flawduh.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Actually, get some Sawzalls. Turn Georgia upside down, start cutting at the southern tip, where New Georgia and SC meet, cut all the way west across the top of Flawduh. It’ll make quite a satisfying THUNK as it drops into the ocean.

We can watch it float off to Cuba where I’m sure they’ll all be very happy living the authoritarian life.

Return to “General Stuff”