Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Re: Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Post by zekeb »

Volkonski wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 2:41 am Mexico City metro overpass collapses, killing at least 15 and injuring 70, authorities say; rescue efforts ongoing

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 934476001/
The accident, which happened near 10:30 p.m. local time, trapped cars under rubble and passengers in train cars hanging mid-air, video on social media and Mexico television showed. Emergency crews worked to recover those passengers.

Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said 15 were dead, according to preliminary figures, and that a beam collapsed just as the train was passing over it. The train had been split in two.

According to The Associated Press, rescue efforts were briefly interrupted at midnight because the partially hanging train was “very weak" and a crane had to be brought in. There were still people trapped inside the train, but “we don't know if they are alive,” said Sheinbaum.

The city's Comprehensive Risk Management and Civil Protection Agency said on Twitter that the accident injured 70 in a preliminary toll.
Only ten years old. I'd say it's a combination of shoddy workmanship coupled with the failure to perform inspections.
Il factotum
sterngard friegen

Post by sterngard friegen »

Shoddy workmanship? Failure of inspections?

No, no, no.

Corruption.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

KHOU 11 News Houston
@KHOU
Thousands of bottles of water spilled after train collides with big rig in Richmond; here's the view from Air 11 right now --> https://khou.com/article/news/local/tho ... cf987997c6 #KHOU11

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

I hate at-grade train crossings. We lived for twenty years in a valley where to get out of the valley you had to cross railroad tracks to leave. There were probably twelve or so trains a day. A few years before we moved, the county built a bridge over the tracks. I loved that bridge. However, even after the bridge was built I would still tack five minutes on to travel times, in case there was a train.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Whoa! That was one lucky driver, but stupid to have the trailer on the tracks.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:51 pm Whoa! That was one lucky driver, but stupid to have the trailer on the tracks.
May have stalled that way.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

It says right in the tweet that the officer was responding to a call about a truck stuck on the tracks.
Image Image Image Image
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:26 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:51 pm Whoa! That was one lucky driver, but stupid to have the trailer on the tracks.
One of the questions on my old CDL exam had an answer that essentially stated then you NEVER stop on railroad tracks. Also, too, you NEVER shift gears while crossing railroad tracks.
Il factotum
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Our property is on a hairpin turn about a mile from the top of a mountain. Trucks take the turn too fast, and sometimes they lose control. Like this guy did.

ETA: Driver is OK, just got a cut on his hand.
94B9D96A-4B6D-42A9-AA72-9337CDB4B720.jpeg
94B9D96A-4B6D-42A9-AA72-9337CDB4B720.jpeg (231.96 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Does your viewing deck include a view of the wrecks?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lucky driver!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:30 am Does your viewing deck include a view of the wrecks?
No, we have to walk out front to see the wrecks. We can see the fires from the deck, though, so there’s that.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Just a cut? What, was he drunk? :shock:

Those Virginia mountain roads are twisty-turny and so leafy it’s hard to see ahead. When I lived in Wise drivers three cars behind a turning vehicle would put their turn signals on to telegraph the slow down. Those loaded coal trucks are hard to stop on the downhill. It’s nice to have some warning. :?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

The visibility on this curve is actually pretty good. He was just going too fast.

Her went over the guard rail just past the left-most yellow arrow, where the road was relatively straight.
Attachments
DF68C703-7270-4F29-B0D5-FE825BB5B3AE.jpeg
DF68C703-7270-4F29-B0D5-FE825BB5B3AE.jpeg (130.08 KiB) Viewed 2638 times
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

zekeb wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:31 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:26 pm
One of the questions on my old CDL exam had an answer that essentially stated then you NEVER stop on railroad tracks. Also, too, you NEVER shift gears while crossing railroad tracks.
Good policy. I know all school buses and public transit stops at all tracks to check that it is clear. Some commercial companies have the same policy. I've witnessed drivers get pissed-off honking their horn for those vehicles stopping. :roll:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

The driver, whose name is Thomas, is going to spend the night in our studio apartment. My husband is going to take him to Dulles so he can fly home (I have no idea where he lives). His rig is a total loss and he’s far from home. Least we can do.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:08 pm The driver, whose name is Thomas, is going to spend the night in our studio apartment. My husband is going to take him to Dulles so he can fly home (I have no idea where he lives). His rig is a total loss and he’s far from home. Least we can do.
Obrigado / Thank you. :pray:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

The accident happened at 10:30 this am. They just towed away the tractor and the container. There are still hundreds of boxes of jeans on my hillside.

Dude has to go for a drug test, and his wife got him a plane ticket this evening for Florida. My husband took him to Front Royal for the drug test, then will take him from there to the airport.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

What kind of jeans? And what sizes?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:45 pm What kind of jeans? And what sizes?
Wrangler. Can’t get close enough to see the sizes. At the moment they’re still on VDOT property, so I’m not going near it. I’ll check again tomorrow and see if they’ve cleaned it all up.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Two 18 wheelers crashed on the highway south of here last night and dumped produce and food all over the road. Middle of the night and it took very little time before people swarmed it like flies to shit. We have a bad curve on a bridge in the middle of town that 18 wheelers fall off of on a regular basis. Chicken trucks and produce trucks go over regularly and the loads are gone before the wrecker even gets on scene. An ice truck went over a couple of years ago and they put it on the news for people to go get the ice. Saved them having to pay someone to clean up thousands of plastic bags when the ice melted.

We eat road kill too.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 pm We eat road kill too.
Ooooh, that sounds like a good idea for the Recipes thread. :batting:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg (9.98 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.

Return to “General Stuff”