Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Post by Maybenaut »

Dozen missing from commercial boat capsized off Louisiana as Coast Guard rescues six
As a ferocious storm whipped up towering waves off Louisiana’s coast on Tuesday, a commercial vessel carrying 18 people capsized in the Gulf of Mexico, sparking a mass rescue operation from the U.S. Coast Guard and a fleet of good Samaritans.

By early Wednesday morning, rescuers had plucked six people from the sea as the Coast Guard continued combing the water for survivors.

“We’re still looking for others right now,” Petty Officer Jonathan Lally, a spokesman for the Coast Guard, told The Washington Post early on Wednesday.

The vessel was a 129-foot lift boat named Seacor Power, according to Armond Batiste, a spokesman for Seacor Marine, which owns the vessel. Batiste confirmed to The Post that 18 people were onboard when it capsized.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... zed-storm/
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My FB feed was full of people complaining the other day about the weather people missing the 50' waves washing against the coast. Their concern was more about the land lost when that happens, but this is also a consideration. Not sure why the weather people missed or didn't get accurate readings on the waves, though.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

And what, for those of us who wallow in the fog of ignoramy, is a lift boat, and why are they 129 feet long? :confuzzled:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:06 am And what, for those of us who wallow in the fog of ignoramy, is a lift boat, and why are they 129 feet long? :confuzzled:
They haul stuff back and forth to the offshore rigs and they're called liftboats because they literally lift themselves out of the water.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

For those who take their boat out to work on something and need it to lift up and be stable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liftboat

101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh man ... I need one of those.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 am Oh man ... I need one of those.
My mom and dad would have loved one of those, Mom especially. She loved all sorts of machinery and vehicles.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Looks like someone’s stolen the wheels.
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Replying to
@Allison29479044 and @davenewworld_2
“Look look, to the left now he’s all over the fuckin street that fucker. He almost hit the guy in the motorcycle”
“He’s gonna go all the way over there.”
“No mames! (roughly “No fuckin way!”)
“Motherfucker!”
“Let’s go help him”
2:29 PM · Apr 15, 2021·Twitter for iPhone
So much for those damn Mexicans only thinking of themselves.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:32 am Oh man ... I need one of those.
If you could just get it to walk...me too.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

From the comments: the pilot should've got out & said, "What year is it?"

Image Image Image Image
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

I'm not 100% but that looks to be a Grumman F4F Wildcat TBF Avenger [WWII era Navy A/C], that pilot just trashed it, and their aren't to many airworthy examples of those left... :smoking:

ETA: It's a Grumman product, just not the one I first posted :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/22/asia/mis ... index.html
Jakarta (CNN)Concerns were mounting Thursday over the fate of an Indonesian submarine that went missing with 53 crew members on board, as a military official warned the vessel would run out of oxygen in three days.

Admiral Yudo Margono, the chief of staff of the Indonesian Navy, said the submarine has sufficient oxygen for 72 hours, based on calculations from when the vessel lost contact during a military exercise on Wednesday.

The German-made KRI Nanggala-402 asked for permission to dive, or submerge, at 3 a.m. local time Wednesday before losing contact, authorities said. Margono said the submarine had just fired two torpedoes -- one with real ammunition and another with a practice warhead -- as part of training exercises in the Bali Strait, a stretch of water between the islands of Java and Bali that connects to the Indian Ocean and Bali Sea.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:19 pm I'm not 100% but that looks to be a Grumman F4F Wildcat TBF Avenger [WWII era Navy A/C], that pilot just trashed it, and their aren't to many airworthy examples of those left... :smoking:

Based on the prop, he either ran out of fuel or the motor failed, no?
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:50 am
One of the two, since the prop was just windmilling. Because it was windmilling, the aircraft still incurred a prop strike, requiring the engine to be torn down and the crankshaft inspected.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

roadscholar wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:50 am
Frater I*I wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:19 pm I'm not 100% but that looks to be a Grumman F4F Wildcat TBF Avenger [WWII era Navy A/C], that pilot just trashed it, and their aren't to many airworthy examples of those left... :smoking:

The article said "mechanical issue".
Maz Jovanovich@maz_jovanovich

The aircraft is a Grumman Avenger, a WW2 torpedo bomber, which was taking part in a Florida air show - after a painstaking 18 year long restoration
😢
Here’s hoping they can get it back in the air after this mishap!
https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... izers-say/
COCOA BEACH, Fla. – Crews rescued a pilot who landed their plane close to shore at the Cocoa Beach Air Show after a “mechanical issue,” according to event organizers.

The pilot was in a TBM Avenger Saturday performing in the warbird parade when the issue happened, according to a Facebook post from the event. Officials with the Federal Aviation Administration said the incident happened around 1:20 p.m.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The story of the torpedo bomber pilots in the Battle of Midway, including the 6 brand new TBF Avengers, is something I will never forget. They were slaughtered, with no fighter cover, but they caused the Japanese fighters that were covering the task force to come down to low altitude, which gave our dive bombers the chance to sink three aircraft carriers (and a fourth later that day). That resulted in the deaths of many of the Japanese pilots who bombed Pearl Harbor.

Their heroic sacrifice turned the whole damn war in the Pacific around in our favor. The Japanese government had to conceal the outcome of the battle from its own people. There's a wonderful museum inside the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown, and a section of it is dedicated to commemorating their action (at the Patriots Point Museum in Charleston, SC). I spent three weekends sleeping on Yorktown with my boys and a tribe of Y-Guides, over a few years a decade ago. (That's not the Yorktown that was sunk in the Battle of Midway, of course.)
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Lani

Post by Lani »

Missing Indonesian submarine believed sunk as debris is found, Navy says
https://www.cnn.com/2021/04/23/asia/ind ... index.html
Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) Indonesia's Navy changed the status of its missing submarine from "sub miss" to "sub sank" on Saturday, as a naval chief presented debris believed to be from the vessel at a news conference.

Authorities now expect to carry out an evacuation process to recover the KRI Nanggala-402 submarine and its crew when they pinpoint its exact location, Indonesian Navy Chief of Staff Yudo Margono said.

The latest update came as hopes faded for the 53 crew members, who were expected to have run out of oxygen early on Saturday. So far, no sign of them has been found, Yudo said.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/20 ... crew-dead/
JAKARTA, Indonesia — Indonesia has found the wreckage of a navy submarine missing since Wednesday and declared all 53 of its crew members dead, the country’s military chief announced Sunday.

Underwater images captured by a remotely operated vehicle showed the wreckage in the Bali Strait at a depth of 838 meters, officials said. A search and rescue team found debris including a vertical rudder, anchor and safety jackets.

“Based on the authentic evidence, we confirm that the KRI Nanggala has sunk and all the crew members have fallen,” Air Chief Marshal Hadi Tjahjanto told a news conference Sunday.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

At that depth, the sub was probably crushed. Subs aren't designed to go that deep, if memory serves.

Alexa says 838 meters is about 2,750 feet. :shock:

Wikipedia sez:
Test depth: 240 m (790 ft)
So the depth it fell to is almost 3.5 times the test depth. That puts enormous pressure on the hull.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2021-04- ... /100102816

Indonesia's sunken submarine may have been hit by a powerful force known as an internal wave

As an Indonesian navy submarine manned by 53 men glided below the surface of the Bali Sea during a routine training exercise, it may have been hit by an invisible but powerful force that dragged them to the deep.

Indonesian navy officials suspect an internal solitary wave, known to occur in the seas around Bali, may have caused the sinking of KRI Nanggala 402, and the loss of its 53 crew.

The vessel sank to a depth of 838 metres, far beyond the reach of rescuers.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Mexico City metro overpass collapses, killing at least 15 and injuring 70, authorities say; rescue efforts ongoing

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/wor ... 934476001/
The accident, which happened near 10:30 p.m. local time, trapped cars under rubble and passengers in train cars hanging mid-air, video on social media and Mexico television showed. Emergency crews worked to recover those passengers.

Mayor Claudia Sheinbaum said 15 were dead, according to preliminary figures, and that a beam collapsed just as the train was passing over it. The train had been split in two.

According to The Associated Press, rescue efforts were briefly interrupted at midnight because the partially hanging train was “very weak" and a crane had to be brought in. There were still people trapped inside the train, but “we don't know if they are alive,” said Sheinbaum.

The city's Comprehensive Risk Management and Civil Protection Agency said on Twitter that the accident injured 70 in a preliminary toll.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “General Stuff”