Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

mimi

Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Post by mimi »

Texas is not having a good anything right now.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... estigators
Metal fatigue in the fan blades may have been behind the engine failure of a Boeing jet in Denver at the weekend, the US National Transportation Safety Board has said.

The Pratt & Whitney engine caught fire shortly after take off on a United Airlines Boeing 777-200, during a flight from Denver to Honolulu, with 231 passengers and 10 crew onboard. Pilots issued a mayday call and returned to Denver.

The next day, dozens of 777 planes were grounded after Boeing said those with Pratt & Whitney PW4000 engines should not be used until full inspections could be carried out.

The chair of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), Robert Sumwalt, said on Monday a preliminary assessment suggested the damage was consistent with metal fatigue and that the blade would be examined on Tuesday at a Pratt & Whitney laboratory under the supervision of NTSB investigators.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

I see the mushroom clouds are blooming lovely in TX this year...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

mimi wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:01 pm Texas is not having a good anything right now.

One article reported that the 18 wheeler went around a car stopped for the train (ad the lowered gates) and hit the 4th or 5th cars of the train. WTF.

In a surprise, the driver was not injured (neither were the crew).
101010 :towel:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:02 pm
mimi wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:01 pm Texas is not having a good anything right now.

One article reported that the 18 wheeler went around a car stopped for the train (ad the lowered gates) and hit the 4th or 5th cars of the train. WTF.

Look for a HUGE increase in wrecks involving 18 wheelers in the next few weeks.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Working past their hours and rushing to make up for lost time?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

northland10 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:06 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm

Working past their hours and rushing to make up for lost time?
Yep.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

SpaceX SN10 had a very successful test flight up to 10k, then a horizontal free fall to 2k, reigniting the engines and flipping back to vertical, ending in a perfect landing.

Then, 10 minutes later...

Image Image Image Image
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

More angles and video of this $100M yacht wreck without a giggling woman here: https://www.celebritynetworth.com/artic ... capri-sun/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Oops...
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

From Down Under.
Image Image Image Image
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

covfefe wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:19 pm https:// m.tiktok.com/v/6935033441570295045.html
More angles and video of this $100M yacht wreck without a giggling woman here: https://www.celebritynetworth.com/artic ... capri-sun/
Note about the crash from some other source w/o link:
According to the captain the ship was just leaving its dock to pass out thru the narrow bay. During the maneouvering the very new fly-by-wire computerized command failed (twice). It was the captains choice to crashland his mega-yacht into the wooden floating dock to minimize overall damage. Nobody was hurt. His ship die not take any damage (perhaps some scratches on its high polished paintjob). No people were hurt. I understand that no other boats at the marina were damaged.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
Dramatic video captures the moment a train slams into a public bus stuck on a crossing.

Police said they were no serious injuries as the bus was empty at the time of the impact, while three train passengers received medical attention for bruising. https://abcn.ws/3v3ZlBm
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Sunday Morning my wife was on her way to work. She was running a few minutes late. Good thing because there was a horrific car crash right at the entrance to the mall her office/center is located in. If she was on time, it would have happened right when she usually gets there.

Three fatalities. 😥

Senseless because someone ran a red light.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 pm Sunday Morning my wife was on her way to work. She was running a few minutes late. Good thing because there was a horrific car crash right at the entrance to the mall her office/center is located in. If she was on time, it would have happened right when she usually gets there.

Three fatalities. 😥

I saw that on the Daily Herald. So sad.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

northland10 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:36 pm
Chilidog wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:16 pm Sunday Morning my wife was on her way to work. She was running a few minutes late. Good thing because there was a horrific car crash right at the entrance to the mall her office/center is located in. If she was on time, it would have happened right when she usually gets there.

Three fatalities. 😥

I saw that on the Daily Herald. So sad.
My wife was totally freaked out. She saw the vehicles as the police and fire trucks were arriving. It was pretty horiffic.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

SpaceX debris tonight over Pacific Northwest.

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:02 am SpaceX debris tonight over Pacific Northwest.

I didn't see it, because I was asleep in front of the wood stove, but several of my friends did and one friend's 9 year old daughter got a really good video of it. It was seen as far south as the middle of Oregon state, don't know how far north. My friend with the daughter who got the video lives in Ellensburg, WA.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ta ... r-BB1fdVmi
The eight car train, traveling to Taitung, came off the rails in a tunnel just north of Hualien Friday morning, causing several carriages to hit the wall of the tunnel, the government-run Central News Agency (CNA) reported, citing the fire department.

The train driver was among the dead, the fire department told the country's executive office, and at least 69 survivors were being treated in several hospitals in the surrounding Hualien County.

Some of the dead are still awaiting identification, the government added Friday, but authorities believe that everyone trapped within the train's heavily damaged carriages have been removed. Officials said a French citizen was killed in the crash, while two Japanese citizens and a citizen of Macau were among those injured.

Authorities earlier said 51 people had died before revising the figure down to 50.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/world-news-t ... a79935d016
HUALIEN COUNTY, Taiwan (AP) — Prosecutors in Taiwan on Saturday sought an arrest warrant for the owner of an unmanned truck that rolled onto a train track and caused the country’s worst rail disaster in decades, killing 50 people and injuring 178.

:snippity:

Yu Hsiu-duan, chief prosecutor in eastern Hualien County where the train derailed, said they were seeking an arrest warrant for the truck’s owner, who was questioned along with several others. She didn’t offer details citing an ongoing investigation.

The Hualien district court allowed the truck owner to post bail of 500,000 new Taiwan dollars (US$17,516) but he must stay in the county and avoid contact with any witnesses, Taiwan’s Central News Agency reported.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

An old one:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... wreck-dive
A US navy destroyer sunk during the second world war and lying nearly 6,500 metres below sea level off the Philippines has been reached in the world’s deepest shipwreck dive, an American exploration team said.

A crewed submersible filmed, photographed and surveyed the wreckage of the USS Johnston off Samar Island during two eight-hour dives completed late last month, Texas-based undersea technology company Caladan Oceanic said.

The 115-metre-long ship was sunk on 25 October 1944 during the Battle of Leyte Gulf as US forces fought to liberate the Philippines – then a US colony – from Japanese occupation.

Its location in the Philippine Sea was discovered in 2019 by another expedition group, but most of the wreckage was beyond the reach of their remotely-operated vehicle.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:17 am An old one:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/ ... wreck-dive
A US navy destroyer sunk during the second world war and lying nearly 6,500 metres below sea level off the Philippines has been reached in the world’s deepest shipwreck dive, an American exploration team said.

A crewed submersible filmed, photographed and surveyed the wreckage of the USS Johnston off Samar Island during two eight-hour dives completed late last month, Texas-based undersea technology company Caladan Oceanic said.

The 115-metre-long ship was sunk on 25 October 1944 during the Battle of Leyte Gulf as US forces fought to liberate the Philippines – then a US colony – from Japanese occupation.

Its location in the Philippine Sea was discovered in 2019 by another expedition group, but most of the wreckage was beyond the reach of their remotely-operated vehicle.
My husband was so happy when he heard about this. His all-time favorite book is about that battle - Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reuters
@Reuters
Dutch cargo ship adrift off Norway after dramatic rescue of crew http://reut.rs/3uwOgYD
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
EMPTY VESSEL: Norwegian authorities are working to prevent a ship with a broken engine from which the crew were evacuated from capsizing or crashing into the shore. https://abcn.ws/31NKehV
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

ABC News
@ABC
Despite heavy seas, a joint Norwegian-Dutch salvage operation has managed to get an abandoned Dutch cargo ship under control off the coast of Norway and was towing the ship to port.

https://t.co/cVeB1zwsG3?amp=1

Return to “General Stuff”