Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/remov ... ar-AAPZ33Y
Removal of Golden Ray cargo ship off Georgia coast is largest in US history,

An official providing an update on the Golden Ray wreck removal off the coast of Georgia said it is the largest in United States history and required more than 3 million collective man-hours.

The 656-foot cargo ship was carrying 4,100 vehicles when it capsized in St. Simons Sound near Brunswick in September 2019, resulting in more than $200 million in damage.

Wreck removal personnel Monday removed the final section of the cargo ship Monday, the US Coast Guard Southeast said in a release.

The cargo ship's capsizing was caused by incorrect calculations about the vessel's stability, the National Transportation Safety Board said last month.

The NTSB also found two watertight doors had been left open, which caused the vessel to flood after it capsized. The flooding trapped four crew members who were later rescued.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

this youtuber "Minorcan Mullet" has been following the demolition with a set of video clips

https://www.youtube.com/c/MinorcanMullet/videos
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

RTH10260 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:42 pm It's not the ship (at the moment) that is on fire, but some containers. It's difficult to fight a fire in a container, its heat may trigger fire in neighbouring containers. The ship went thru heavy seas on the coast of Canada just the days before and lost some of its cargo, the coast guard is tracking those still floating.
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:19 am this youtuber "Minorcan Mullet" has been following the demolition with a set of video clips

https://www.youtube.com/c/MinorcanMullet/videos
Coooool!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
tencats

Post by tencats »

US Navy sacks commanding officers of crashed submarine
19 hours ago
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59175396
USS Connecticut (SSN-22) the U.S. Navy's prized Seawolf class nuclear fast attack submarines—one of just three ever built
The US Navy has sacked three top crew members aboard a nuclear submarine that crashed into an underwater mountain.

Commander Cameron Aljilani and two others were removed after an investigation into the incident in the disputed South China Sea.

The USS Connecticut struck the object last month, forcing the vessel to come to the surface for a week and sail to the US territory of Guam.

Navy officials say the crew members "could have prevented" the collision.

Last week, the navy said the submarine had hit an uncharted "seamount" while patrolling below the surface.

A seamount is a mountain that rises from the ocean floor.
:snippity:
US Navy officials have yet to explain how the vessel hit the seamount.

Ryan Ramsey, a former British Royal Navy submarine captain, said he was shocked by the collision, which is relatively rare.

"The USS Connecticut is a very modern submarine - so it's kind of surprising," he told the BBC. "But if you relax at any point, then things can happen."
Read more: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59175396

:confuzzled:
How did a $3 billion US Navy submarine hit an undersea mountain?
Analysis by Brad Lendon, CNN
Updated 11:30 PM ET, Thu November 4, 2021
(CNN)Some submariners call the USS Connecticut the luxury sports car of submarines. It's a $3 billion piece of American military hardware that's fast and outfitted with the latest electronic gadgetry only available when price is not a consideration.
But despite its high cost and sophisticated tech, the United States Navy says the Seawolf-class nuclear-powered attack sub ran smack into an undersea mountain in the Pacific on October 2.
The Connecticut is now pierside at a US Navy base on the Pacific island of Guam. The Navy says it got there -- more than 1,800 miles (2,900 kilometers) east of the South China Sea -- under its own power and its nuclear reactor was not harmed, although 11 of its crew of suffered minor injuries in the collision.

The Pentagon has not released details of the damage the vessel incurred nor how long it might be out of action in a region which, with the rise of the Chinese navy, is seeing growing demands on the US fleet.

Which leaves US military planners with some big questions to answer in the coming weeks and months.

Not the least of which is, how did this happen?
:shock:
Why Multi-Billion Dollar Nuclear Submarines Still Run Into Things Underwater
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4 ... underwater
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

727 demolished by King County
Watch as a prized Boeing 727 gets demolished after attempts to send it to a Kansas City museum failed. (Courtesy of King County International Airport - Boeing Field)
Read more: https://st.news/3oFAgdx
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Editor Korir

Post by Editor Korir »

Estiveo wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:08 am
By several homes without power, they currently mean at least 3,000 homes, according to the latest Sheriff update. Still no word what kind of jet it was, or how many fatalities, but from the size of the explosion, I can’t see anyone surviving.
Acting Ambassador to Red Sox Nation
Lani

Post by Lani »

There is very little known so far, other than reporting that the owner of the plane is Med Jet LLC, an air ambulance company. The San Diego Sheriff is referring the media and people with photos & videos of the plane crash to the National Transportation Safety Board.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It’s not often that there is footage of the trajectory of the crash, is it? Or now that everyone has doorbell cameras is it more common?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

San Diego is a notoriously dangerous airport. You have to go over a hill, then a steep drop to the runway. Remember when a small plane hit a jet there? :shock:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
somerset

Post by somerset »

Foggy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:56 am San Diego is a notoriously dangerous airport. You have to go over a hill, then a steep drop to the runway. Remember when a small plane hit a jet there? :shock:
True, but El Cajon is pretty far from Lindbergh Field. If the plane was in the pattern for SAN, it would have been pretty high up and away from the fun descent. I’d guess a smaller plane would be headed to Gillespie Field, which is closer to El Cajon/east San Diego.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

One of my bosses over the years, whose wife was a flight attendant, loved to talk about the approach to the Hong Kong airport. The city had grown up all around it, so on the final approach the pilot had to fly down a narrow “alley” with high rises on both sides. You could see everything in the offices - their expressions of annoyance whenever a plane landed, what they were reading/working on, how much c0ffee was left in their cups.
tek

Post by tek »

I believe it was going into GIllespie.

some talk in general about that approach:
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Here's the FAA prelim on that crash...

https://www.asias.faa.gov/apex/f?p=100: ... :28-DEC-21
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
somerset

Post by somerset »

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:22 pm Here's the FAA prelim on that crash...

https://www.asias.faa.gov/apex/f?p=100: ... :28-DEC-21
There were no injuries on the ground? Amazing.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

It would have taken 1 1/2 hours to drive.

The differences between commercial and personal travel are vast, I get that. You’d eat that time difference up flying Delta -getting to the airport early, going through security, boarding, etc. It must be different with your own private jet but…

So sad. If, as the video up thread surmised, they changed runways to be 2 mins closer to the corporate hangar, they exchanged their lives for 62 mins.
tek

Post by tek »

Not a lot of info is in yet, but it seems likely that the crew did what they had done tens or hundreds of times before.

This time a stack of little differences caught up with them.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Tiredretiredlawyer

:shock:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Drone video shows major train derailment in Indiana

Drone video shows a major train derailment in Indiana. A CSX spokesperson said oil and diesel fuel leaked from the derailed cars and locomotives at the Avon rail yard. No injuries have been reported.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
101010 :towel:
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

A car wreck, just for variety. The drivers of both vehicles involved, and the people filming, are all assholes.

Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “General Stuff”