Planes and Boats and Trains. Wrecks!

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

keith wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 7:47 pm That couldn't possibly have collapsed from a fire.

That was OBVIOUSLY a strike from a submarine launched Exocet missle.

Notice how quickly the Coast Guard was on site to hide the evidence.
OBVIOUSLY. I mean, 9/11 taught us all that concrete and steel cannot possibly fail from intense heat.

Some sorta inside job here I say.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

I don't know about your news, but even MSNBC never said a word about the driver of the exploding truck.

Several reports I have seen say "no casualties". Others said there is another vehicle under the fallen roadway and they don't know what or who it is.

Sooooo, was it a driverless truck full of explosive fuel? Did the driver perish in the wreck?

Was he/she able to run far enough away to survive?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Oh, and condolences to those of you who will have to contend with the effects of this. As a west coast girl, even I know I95/is MAJOR.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... rstate-95/
An overpass on Interstate 95 that collapsed in North Philadelphia on Sunday will take months to replace, officials said, snarling a bustling East Coast corridor during the summer travel season and severing a main commercial artery for the city.

Standing before the wreckage of what he called “remarkable devastation,” Pennsylvania Gov. Josh Shapiro (D) and other officials warned motorists to expect detours and embrace public transit for an unknown period as the highway is rebuilt.

A northbound slice of the road cratered and the southbound expanse is structurally unsound after a tanker carrying gasoline went up in flames under the overpass early Sunday morning, shooting out apocalyptic plumes of smoke and burning with such searing force that steel girders under the highway appear to have melted.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Heat that did that to steel wouldn't leave much in the way of recognizable human remains.

They may have to wait for reports of missing persons/vehicles to identify the truck and any other vehicle(s) involved.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Hunter Valley: driver arrested after wedding bus crash near Greta, NSW, kills 10 people in Australia
Ten people returning from a “fairytale” wedding in Australia’s Hunter Valley wine region in New South Wales have been killed in a devastating bus crash. More than 20 others have been taken to hospital with various injuries after the bus overturned late on Sunday night.

The 58-year-old driver has been arrested and charges are pending, while a crime scene has been declared at the site of the crash.
Hunter Valley bus crash: 10 killed after wedding party coach rolls, NSW premier confirms 21 in hospital – latest updates
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Sequoia32 wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:04 pm As a west coast girl, even I know I95/is MAJOR.

As an east coast girl, I hardly ever drive on I 95. I will find an alternate route, even if it’s out of my way. It’s a nightmare. In some parts of Virginia, 95 is a parking lot, no matter what time of day, particularly around Fredericksburg. There’s almost always a better route.

I also try to stay off I-81. It usually moves pretty fast, but there are often accidents due to the speed, then everything comes to a stop that can last for hours.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I-95 = I-5. I'm not sure which is worse. My husband hated driving on I-5. We just avoided I-95.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

I-5 where, Andy? Most of it is thru vast expanses of fields, farms & forests.

Sure, in LA, Sacramento, Portland and I can't remember Seattle, it can get crowded, slow and have accidents like every city freeway.

There's tule fog in the Central Valley at times, Tejon pass can be a pain and snow in the passes and northern parts in winter.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, I'm thinking more of LA, Sacramento, etc. I know it goes through farmland, etc., like the Willamette Valley. We've been on most of it more than a few times. He just never liked it.

Here, if we were heading south, we went straight down into West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, not hitting the coast until SC. I know it's a somewhat shorter trip, going down 95, but when we went to North or South Carolina, we always took the mountain route.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://6abc.com/i-95-collapsed-in-phil ... /13371656/
PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- Sources tell 6abc Action News that human remains have been found in the wreckage after a tanker truck fire led to the partial collapse of I-95 in Philadelphia over the weekend.

The driver's remains were removed from the cab of the tractor-trailer on Monday morning, sources said.

So far, the remains have not been identified.

The Action Cam was at the Pennsylvania Task Force One headquarters in the 6600 block of New State Road in the Tacony section of the city on Monday afternoon as the wreckage of the truck was hauled away.

Meanwhile, family members and separate sources confirm the name of the tanker truck driver as Nathaniel Moody.

At this time, authorities say Moody remains unaccounted for. Action News is told Moody worked for a trucking company from Pennsauken, New Jersey.

Sources say he has been doing the job for quite some time and was an experienced driver.
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:28 pm Yeah, I'm thinking more of LA, Sacramento, etc. I know it goes through farmland, etc., like the Willamette Valley. We've been on most of it more than a few times. He just never liked it.

Here, if we were heading south, we went straight down into West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, not hitting the coast until SC. I know it's a somewhat shorter trip, going down 95, but when we went to North or South Carolina, we always took the mountain route.
Yeah, if we have time, 101 is preferred where it exists in Ca.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Greece
Greece shipwreck: up to 100 children were below deck, survivors say
Women also said to have been in the hold, amid fears 78 so far confirmed dead could rise into the hundreds

Helena Smith in Kalamata, and Jon Henley
Thu 15 Jun 2023 19.25 BST

Survivors from an overcrowded fishing boat that capsized and sank on Wednesday off the Greek coast in one of the worst disasters in the Mediterranean in recent years have told doctors and police that women and children were travelling in the hold of the vessel.

Seventy-eight people have been confirmed dead, but there are fears the number of victims could run into the hundreds.

“Right now everything is guesswork but we are working on the assumption that as many as 500 are missing,” said Nicolaos Spanoudakis, a police inspector. “Women and children, it seems, were in the hold.”

Doctors at Kalamata general hospital told Greek media and the BBC that survivors said as many 100 children had been in the bottom of the ship.

It has not been possible to verify the figure, though asked by a reporter from Greece’s ANT1 channel if there were 100 children onboard, one survivor replied: “Yes.”

On Thursday night it was announced that Greek authorities had arrested nine suspected people-smugglers believed to have piloted the vessel before it sank off the southern Peloponnese.

Skai TV reported that the nine – all men – were of Egyptian descent and were suspected of masterminding the illegal voyage of hundreds of people to Italy from Egypt, from where they had set out with the trawler.

“They are in custody and will appear before a local magistrate,” Nikos Alexiou, the Hellenic coastguard spokesperson, told the Guardian. “They are being held by the coastguard in Kalamata.”

A public prosecutor is likely to press several charges against the group including that of mass murder. Local media reports said the ship’s captain was not among them and had died when the vessel went down.
:snippity: All 104 survivors were men aged between 16 and 40, authorities said. Most spent the night in a warehouse in the port. “They’re from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria and Egypt,” said Giorgos Farvas, Kalamata’s deputy mayor. “We’re talking about young men, mostly, who are in a state of huge psychological shock and exhaustion. Some fainted as they walked off the gangplanks from the vessels that brought them here.”
:snippity:
Reports suggested up to 750 people had packed on to the fishing boat that capsized and sank early on Wednesday about 50 miles (80km) from the southern coastal town of Pylos while it was being shadowed by the Greek coastguard.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... -survivors
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65953872
A submersible used to take people to view the wreck of the Titanic has gone missing in the Atlantic Ocean.

The Boston Coastguard told BBC News that a search and rescue operation was under way off the coast of Newfoundland.

It is unclear how many people were on board when it went missing.

Small submersibles occasionally take paying tourists and experts to view the wreck of the Titanic, some 3,800m (12,500ft) beneath the ocean surface.

OceanGate Expeditions, a private company that organises deep sea expeditions, confirmed in a statement that it owned the missing submersible and people were on board.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/Stonekettle/status/ ... 436438528
Stonekettle
@Stonekettle
Regarding the missing sub:

Xbox controllers aren't the issue. Standard control device, extremely reliable, easily replaced.

The hatch isn't the issue. Unless they reach the surface, they couldn't open it underwater anyway.

The issue is a lack of emergency planning. 1/

The sea is unforgiving. It's dangerous out there, extremely so. You have to plan for everything to go wrong. You hope it doesn't, but you expect it will, and you prepare for it. If you don't, you'll die. 2/

And now, hundreds of people will have to risk THEIR lives on the water to search for this vessel and maybe attempt a rescue at depth. This is incredibly dangerous.

They should have at a minimum had an emergency beacon to at least minimize the search effort. 3/

This lack of planning and preparation might maximize profit, but it puts others at risk.

This same mindset writ large is the sort of thing that leads to disasters like the Deepwater Horizon. A lack of emergency preparation led to 11 dead and a massive environmental disaster. 4/

On the ocean, you have to expect everything will go bad all at once in the worst possible way, every time.

You expect it. You plan for it. You prepare for it. You train for it.

If it doesn't happen this time, it will sooner or later. Always. 5/5
https://news.yahoo.com/maker-lost-titan ... 33646.html
The founder of the company behind the Titan submersible previously described his industry as "obscenely safe" and complained that passenger-vessel regulations held back innovation.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

https://twitter.com/Stonekettle/status/ ... 6141452288
Stonekettle
@Stonekettle
So, a submarine full of rich people doesn't have any kind of automatic EPIRB transponder or underwater location sonar pinger? That seems like a serious oversight.

Unless your plan is to reduce the number of rich people in the world, I mean.
Note: Having been a Sailor most of my adult life, and having been involved in numerous rescue operations, I certainly hope they find and rescue these people.

The point of my comment is that the lack of an emergency transponder is gross negligence. Even for a private enterprise.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

re rich and even better off
British billionaire in missing Titanic sub collaborated with Indian govt on project to bring on cheetahs from Namibia
Harding is known for his exploratory escapades across the globe.

By: PTI
London | Updated: June 20, 2023 22:09 IST

Hamish Harding has visited the South Pole multiple times, flown into space in 2022 onboard Blue Origin's fifth human-crewed flight, and set three world records.

Hamish Harding, a British businessman who collaborated with the Indian government to reintroduce eight wild cheetahs from Namibia to India, is among five people who went missing in the Atlantic Ocean aboard a tourist submersible on a mission to view the wreckage of the iconic ocean liner the Titanic.

British-Pakistani billionaire businessman Shahzada Dawood and his son Suleman were also on the sub, the BBC reported on Tuesday.

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Amazing.
https://twitter.com/GovernorShapiro/sta ... 94339?s=20
Governor Josh Shapiro @GovernorShapiro wrote: Based on the tremendous progress these crews made over the weekend, I can now say:

We will have I-95 back open this weekend.

We have worked around the clock to get this done, and we’ve completed each phase safely and ahead of schedule.

Our significant progress is all due to the incredible coordination with our local, state, and federal partners — and thanks to the hard-working men and women of the Philadelphia Building Trades who are making this happen.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So it turns out the sub went missing last year, and it is pretty much impossible to see when on the surface. All thats over the surface is a glass dome. They said that they literally could see the other boat a few meters away and the people on the boat didn't have a clue they were there.

So, they didn't install a locator beacon, because that would be admitting the possibility of failure. That's what quitters do. The most determined succeed! Closers get coffee!

Also... there was an innovative control system.

ANd it potentially gets worse

Finally, it can only be opened from the outside...
Hic sunt dracones
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.thedailybeast.com/missing-t ... -a-success

The missing sub was using Elon Musks Starlink.

Could Musk have been in a feud wuth the other rich guys, and does he have someone ass kissy enough to kill people with Celine Dion?
Hic sunt dracones
tek

Post by tek »

Starlink would only be useful for the support vessels or surface operations..

RF at Starlink frequencies will penetrate salt water maybe tens of centimeters.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

When the 1-95 crash first occurred I saw two separate reports that the trucking company -and maybe the same driver- had had a similar accident on a bridge in NJ. I think. I can’t find it now so I assume it was conspiracy chatter.

But it made me think… coming so soon after that R tweeted the ‘1/50 watch your bridges’, my mind couldn’t help going there. Please help me I’m turning into a rwnj?
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Come to the dark side...
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ne-hearing
Special hearing to examine decisions made after Ohio trail derailment

NTSB to hold rare field hearing in East Palestine, Ohio, and focus on crucial decision to release and burn toxic vinyl chloride
Associated Press

Some of the key decisions made in the aftermath of February’s fiery derailment of a Norfolk Southern train in eastern Ohio will be examined at a hearing on Thursday.

The National Transportation Safety Board is holding a rare field hearing in East Palestine, Ohio, over the next two days. Thursday’s hearing will focus on the emergency response to the derailment and the crucial decision officials made days later to release the toxic vinyl chloride in five tank cars and burn it to keep those cars from exploding.

That decision sent a towering plume of black smoke over the town near the Ohio-Pennsylvania border and prompted the evacuation of about half of East Palestine’s 5,000 residents. Officials have defended that decision as the best option when faced with the prospect of an explosion that would have sent shrapnel into the town.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Return to “General Stuff”