Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Covid home testing

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Re: Covid home testing

Post by jez »

LM K wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:06 pm They should.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/best-at- ... ts-5208810

These tests definitely do.
Binaxnow
On/go

Omicron isn't very different molecularly from previous strains. I assume all FDA approved home tests should be able to detect omicron.
I may have to go pick up a couple. My roommate has been ill the last few days and I woke up last night with a head fully stuffed with snot, mildly sore throat, tired as all get out (but not sleeping worth a darn). I'm hoping it's just a cold. But, D had to go into the office a few days ago and talked to her boss. A couple of days later, he was diagnosed with Covid. He's fully vaxxed and boosted, so he's alright. D has been vaxxed, not boosted yet. I'm vaxxed and boosted. I rarely go out anywhere.

Had to run out to a drive through today to get some drinks and snacks. Wore a mask, gloves, sanitized my debit card before handing it over. I am probably not going anywhere anytime soon though.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

You and your roomie need to be tested immediately.

Home tests are hard to find right now. If you can't find one tomorrow morning, you and your roomie need to get a PCR test.

CVS, Walgreens, and Rite Aid do testing.

You can find other testing locations here:
https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/communi ... index.html
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
jez

Post by jez »

Walmart actually had some of the Binaxnow tests. I ordered them online and will do curbside pickup tomorrow around noon. I'm treating symptoms with OTC and hot tea. I feel miserable, but not at death's door. I'm also a huge baby when I get sick. I just want someone to feed me chicken soup in bed. :bag:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
LM K

Post by LM K »

jez wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:29 pm Walmart actually had some of the Binaxnow tests. I ordered them online and will do curbside pickup tomorrow around noon. I'm treating symptoms with OTC and hot tea. I feel miserable, but not at death's door. I'm also a huge baby when I get sick. I just want someone to feed me chicken soup in bed. :bag:
Damn! I read your comment too quickly!

I'm sorry you feel so horrible. :bighug:

I too am a big baby when I'm sick. My Mister is excellent about coddling me.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

jez wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:29 pm Walmart actually had some of the Binaxnow tests. I ordered them online and will do curbside pickup tomorrow around noon. I'm treating symptoms with OTC and hot tea. I feel miserable, but not at death's door. I'm also a huge baby when I get sick. I just want someone to feed me chicken soup in bed. :bag:
Good luck! Feel better soon. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:15 pm I thought I remembered eight tests per person, per month?
I'm okay with 4 for right now because it will double the chances of everyone else being able to get them. When the program ramps up and delivery is figured out they can bump it back up to 8. It has literally been weeks since I have been out of the house for anything other than my chemo, but my husband has to get out for things like picking up prescriptions and his own medical appointments. We have tried for weeks to get at-home tests with no luck but we have no choice about him getting out at some times. I grit my teeth every time someone brags about having multiple tests that they stocked up on so they can use them for social occasions. I'll take the 4 they're offering and be happy to not have to keep rescheduling my other medical appointments or spending a week panicking about him bringing something home to me every time he gets out.
jez

Post by jez »

Well, Walmart is actually out of the tests. Website says they have them in stock, but talking to the lady at the pharmacy, they tend to grow legs and walk away. Guess I'll have to order online and wait a bit.

Feeling better already though. I think it was just a cold. I tend to feel like hell for a day or two then I'm fine. I will probably still order tests just to have them handy.

~Paarthurnax
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

jez- :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
LM K

Post by LM K »

I posted this site yesterday. It actually works. I noticed that Walmart had Binaxnow tests in stock for online order. I snagged 2 boxes. Within 10 minutes of my order, the tests were out of stock.

https://www.findacovidtest.org/
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I ordered these last week and got them within 3 or 4 days even though they say the lead time is a couple of weeks. Anecdotal but whatever. And no, I am not hoarding them. I am the procurement dude for the extended family cuz I am retired and have nothing better to do.
Edit - WTH? Won't post my link. Here it is broken - we shall see if that works.
h ttps://www.amazon.com/iHealth-COVID-19-Authori ... B09KZ6TBNY
Plutodog

Post by Plutodog »

One of my two adult daughters got Covid about a week ago. She had two vaxes, no booster. She is getting better at home.

My other daughter, no vaxes, has not gotten Covid yet.

My adult autistic son had two vaxes, booster scheduled, lives in small group home with one roommate.

My wife is unvaxed, doesn't want to be. Can't change that.

I am full vaxed plus booster, so far, so good. I have worked at home on my computer since the epidemic started, and will do so until I retire. Not sure how long that will be since working at home is easier, keeps a check and health insurance coming in. I usually only go out to visit my adult son every week,

I suppose we could use some tests but I haven't sought any yet.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Plutodog wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:56 am I suppose we could use some tests but I haven't sought any yet.
If I were you, I'd just order a couple. When they come, they come and you have them if you do need them.

I ordered a couple of BinaxNOW kits in early November, before Omicron hit. They weren't exactly plentiful in the stores at that point, but they did arrive within a week in the mail. I'm retired and barely go out of the house so I didn't have a pressing need for the kits. I wear a KN95 mask when I shop. I did use one test on New Year's Eve. I felt fine, had had no exposure that I knew of, but I was going to be with a group of relatives, not all who are vaccinated. As expected, my test was negative.

I figure it's better to have the tests on hand and not need them yet rather than to start feeling ill and kick myself for not planning ahead.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

We got the BD Veritor kit (each comes with two tests) at the beginning of November so we could do Thanksgiving with Dr. Vicklund's family (my mom was still recovering from Covid, so didn't get together with my family), then got three more for Christmas holidays or whatever. Then Omicron hit. I like the BD Veritor kit because it actually has two controls, one to verify the solution hasn't gone bad and one to verify that you got a good swab.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Just ordered ours.

Eric Geller
@ericgeller
·
6m
Almost 200,000 people are ordering free Covid-19 test kits right now. https://analytics.usa.gov
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

David Lim
@davidalim
Free at-home tests on USPS is constituting nearly half of all government website traffic right now.

https://analytics.usa.gov
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Also just ordered. Easy.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Post by Lani »

I was rejected b/c of my address. :crying: Oh well, I thought that would happen.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

LM K wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:37 pm I posted this site yesterday. It actually works. I noticed that Walmart had Binaxnow tests in stock for online order. I snagged 2 boxes. Within 10 minutes of my order, the tests were out of stock.

https://www.findacovidtest.org/
USPS link got me my four in about fifteen seconds, LM K's link got me 6 more from CVS in about 30 more seconds. :thumbsup:

That should take care of my immediate family and hopefully a few more for extended when they invariably need one.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Got our household's 4 Covid tests in the mail today. This is weeks earlier than we expected. :thumbsup:
Lani

Post by Lani »

I can't get them :crying: The good news is that neighbor centers will be distributing the test kits for peeps like me who have PO boxes. I'll get in line early! I need to be on Oahu one day next week, and flying seems seems to be a great way to get covid. :eek: But I'll have the tests the day after I return. :boxing:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I have plenty of tests but ordered the free ones anyway - haven't received them yet but when I do they will going to my houseless buddy - he needs them more than me and doesn't have an address so can't get them. He is a good dude - 27 years sober and likes where he lives (in the woods). I drop off my empty soda/ beer cans so he can get the deposits every month or so. He needs the tests more than I do (and, like I said, he is a good dude).
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

scirreeve wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:03 am I have plenty of tests but ordered the free ones anyway - haven't received them yet but when I do they will going to my houseless buddy - he needs them more than me and doesn't have an address so can't get them. He is a good dude - 27 years sober and likes where he lives (in the woods). I drop off my empty soda/ beer cans so he can get the deposits every month or so. He needs the tests more than I do (and, like I said, he is a good dude).
:thumbsup:
LM K

Post by LM K »

scirreeve wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:03 am I have plenty of tests but ordered the free ones anyway - haven't received them yet but when I do they will going to my houseless buddy - he needs them more than me and doesn't have an address so can't get them. He is a good dude - 27 years sober and likes where he lives (in the woods). I drop off my empty soda/ beer cans so he can get the deposits every month or so. He needs the tests more than I do (and, like I said, he is a good dude).
That's extremely kind. :bighug:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

A substack on most things you need to know about how well Covid home tests work, other than which brands work best. There's a subscription, but you can read it for free indefinitely.
In my last antigen test post, I presented evidence that antigen tests could physically detect Omicron (thanks to the N-protein), and lab studies could detect Omicron at the same viral levels as Delta. But lab studies are highly controlled environments and certainly not reflective of the “real world.” We desperately needed evidence in the community. Now we have five studies and each has a unique contribution to the puzzle we’re trying to put together: How well do antigen tests work?

Here is what they say.
https://yourlocalepidemiologist.substac ... world-data

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”