Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Covid home testing

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Covid home testing

Post by LM K »

In approx one week, private insurers will be required to provide 8 home tests per covered member per month. Tests will be free.

Insurers Will Have to Cover 8 At-Home Virus Tests Per Month
Private insurers will soon have to cover the cost of eight at-home coronavirus tests per member per month, the Biden administration said Monday.

People will be able to get the tests at their health plan’s “preferred” pharmacies and other retailers with no out-of-pocket costs, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. They can also buy the tests elsewhere and file claims for reimbursement, just as they often do for medical care.
:snippity:

Roughly 150 million Americans, or about 45 percent of the population, are privately insured, mostly through their employers. Each enrolled dependent of the primary insurance holder counts as a member.

The new Biden policy will not apply retroactively to at-home tests that Americans have already purchased. Tests ordered or administered by health providers will continue to be covered by insurance without any co-payment or deductible under a law requiring insurers to fully cover tests at doctor’s offices, public sites and other facilities.

The administration is working on other efforts to get coronavirus tests to people regardless of their insurance status, including a plan to deliver 500 million free rapid tests to the homes of Americans who order them, starting later this month.

Matt Eyles, president of the health insurer trade group America’s Health Insurance Plans, said in a statement that insurance companies would “work as quickly as possible to implement this guidance.”

“While there will likely be some hiccups in early days, we will work with the administration to swiftly address issues as they arise,” he said.

The low availability could hinder the rollout of the reimbursement policy, said Lindsey Dawson, a policy analyst at the Kaiser Family Foundation who has researched the availability of rapid tests.

“If reimbursement exists but there aren’t tests to purchase,” she said, “that doesn’t help an individual consumer.”

She added, “The policy could certainly drive demand, and could exacerbate the problem.”

Some health plans also expressed concern about the potential lack of supply when the policy rolls out in less than a week.

“We are concerned that the policy does not solve for the limited supply of tests in the country and could cause additional consumer friction as insurers stand up a program in just four days’ time
,” said Kim Keck, the chief executive of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association.

But as the administration faced intensifying criticism, Mr. Biden announced that his administration would offer 500 million free at-home tests for the nation’s 330 million residents, available to order through a website that is supposed to debut this month.

There will also be a hotline that people can call if they do not have access to a computer or prefer to order tests by phone, a White House official said.

The success of the administration’s efforts to get more tests to Americans could also be complicated by preliminary research suggesting that rapid antigen tests may miss some Omicron infections even when people are carrying high levels of the virus. That has prompted scientists to warn about misinterpreting negative results when they have symptoms or may have been exposed to the virus. Experts have continued to recommend using the tests.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Covid home testing

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm hoping this goes smoothly. The same hope goes for the free masks. I ordered some new KN95 masks almost two weeks ago. I now have no idea when they will come.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

We scored 4 kits (8 tests) this week. Sounds like we might or might not get reimbursed since it was before Saturday. Anyway, we are glad to have them. I know the delivery schedules of every store within a 10 mile radius of our house. LOL.
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:06 am I'm hoping this goes smoothly. The same hope goes for the free masks. I ordered some new KN95 masks almost two weeks ago. I now have no idea when they will come.
I didn't know whether standard KN95 masks will fit my face. I'm vertical challenged and have a sorta narrow face. For most masks, I've been twisting the elastic and folding the mask so it fits. I found 2 recommended sites for KN95 & ordered the masks b/c they were lower priced if you want pink masks. They on the way to me now. Hope they fit.

There are clear masks that were developed by John Hopkins alumni. Some of the people I work with are using them in court and meeting with people for other reasons. I was given one of them, but it's too big for me. I just found out that smaller masks are now available. https://www.theclearmask.com/
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K

Post by LM K »

I have the same issue with masks. They're too big. My solution is a lanyard. Mine allow me to pull the mask tighter to better form around my face. I use KN95 masks.

I think lanyards also keep masks more hygienic. I keep my mask around my neck and can easily take it on and off and don't end up handling it too much.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220113-224449.png
Screenshot_20220113-224449.png (220.19 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Lani- I am vertically challenged too, also. I buy children's masks.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I am wearing my N95 everywhere now.

Drove out to a rural town yesterday, about 40 minutes north of here, and tried two different drugstores.

Both had signs taped to the front door saying no home COVID-19 tests.

Le sigh.

At least we're asymptomatic, if we got it. :shrug:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
filly

Post by filly »

scirreeve wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:14 am We scored 4 kits (8 tests) this week. Sounds like we might or might not get reimbursed since it was before Saturday. Anyway, we are glad to have them. I know the delivery schedules of every store within a 10 mile radius of our house. LOL.
That's the key! That is what my husband did early on so we could have toilet paper. :lol: My mother grew up during the Depression and was a bit of a hoarder as a result. I understand that now. I will never be without toilet paper again!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess it helps when one still has access to physical newspapers once the toilet thingy runs low. While the usage of old telephone books at the lo has gone out of service due to lack of said hard copies.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

filly wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:36 am I will never be without toilet paper again!
I bet they have toilet paper in Heaven.

Probably the good stuff, very soft and absorbent. :thumbsup:

I bet the people who got up there the first few thousand years people started going up there were like, what's this all about? We didn't have this down on Earth. But when they tried it, they wondered how come they didn't have it on Earth? It's pretty useful.

I bet all the early dead people from totally primitive aboriginal societies were totally mystified by stuff like Lamborghini race cars and iPhones and quadcopters, when they got up to Heaven, but let's face it, if I get up there and there isn't all that cool stuff, how are they gonna tell me that's Heaven?

Makes no sense. Metaphysically absurd, man. :doh:

'Course, there will probably be a lot of stuff I never saw before, that will mystify me, but people who die 200 years after I die, they'll need that stuff, whatever it is, to have a nice day.

:daydreaming:
tek

Post by tek »

Foggy wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 am I bet they have toilet paper in Heaven.

Probably the good stuff, very soft and absorbent. :thumbsup:
And not those damned MEGA rolls that don't fit in the holder!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

No, they will have bidets. :roll:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Maybe Heaven just adds stuff as humans develop it...
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

What? God is all-powerful and all-knowing, why does he have to wait for Earthlings to invent stuff, and doesn't he have access to everything everybody else ON OTHER PLANETS ACROSS THE UNIVERSE has invented?

You'd think Heaven would be MORE advanced than Bumfuck, Iowa, not less.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I figured he already knows about all that stuff, but thought he might not introduce it to Heaven until we had it here so as not to freak humans brains out too much. :)

Of course, now you've got me wondering what Odin's warriors will find in Valhalla, what with modern warfare weaponry and such available. The "fight and die all day" part sure isn't gonna take very long, so maybe they extend the "feast and party all night" part of it to make up for it :thor:
filly

Post by filly »

Since I have no expectations of going to heaven, need the toilet paper here in the real world! :biggrin:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

NPR
@NPR
·
3m
JUST IN: The Biden administration announced that Americans can begin ordering free at-home COVID-19 tests starting January 19th.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Weijia Jiang
@weijia
·
13m
NEW details about the free COVID tests from the Biden administration:
-Website to order goes live on Wednesday-- http://COVIDTests.gov
-Tests will ship within 7-12 days of ordering
-Each residential address is limited to 4 tests
-Hard hit/high risk communities are prioritized
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I thought I remembered eight tests per person, per month?
Lani

Post by Lani »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:44 pm Weijia Jiang
@weijia

-Each residential address is limited to 4 tests
I don't have a residential address. No mail delivery here. I have a UPS mailbox. I hope I can get mine. Oh, what, maybe I can get them from my medical clinic!

Never mind.... I'll worry about something else.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
LM K

Post by LM K »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:15 pm I thought I remembered eight tests per person, per month?
That's through private insurance. I'm ordering 4 from the fed gov and then will get 8 per month through my health insurance company. I'm not sure which program will get tests to me faster.

I support the fed gov prioritizing hard hit communities. That said, each part of the country is peaking at different times. Will there be any tests left for those of us on the west coast? We aren't supposed to peak until the end of Jan.
LM K

Post by LM K »

This site tracks online seller's stock of covid tests.

Find a covid test

Additional tracking sites:

Hotstock

Now in Stock

Zooalert

Brickseek

Source
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

do the home tests pick up the new variant?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
LM K

Post by LM K »

They should.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/best-at- ... ts-5208810

These tests definitely do.
Binaxnow
On/go

Omicron isn't very different molecularly from previous strains. I assume all FDA approved home tests should be able to detect omicron.
LM K

Post by LM K »

jez wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:58 pm do the home tests pick up the new variant?
I'll do more research about this later tonight.

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”