Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Covid home testing

We have ALL your misinformation, plus some TRUE FACTS and SCIENCE.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Covid home testing

Post by Foggy »

Got 4 tests in a box. :thumbsup:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

I've become fretful about the utility of LFTs now based on my personal experience. Yes, I picked up the virus from somewhere, possibly at the end of the previous week in the local hospital where I did a shift for several hours. Or just unluckily in a shop perhaps, I can't think of many obvious danger spots in that period.

So Monday: I woke feeling under the weather, but none of the "classic" Covid symptoms (no fever, loss of taste/smell, etc.), but I did a test, carefully as always, negative, not a shadow of a T line. So I assume it's probably a cold, hangover, old age, whatever. But as always, cautious, mask everywhere appropriate, etc. I felt more deeply lousy on Wednesday so I test again: aaaghhh! positive, with a faint T line, but definitely positive. Confirmed with a PCR test on Thursday - the PCR test wasn't intended as a confirmation, it was already booked as I am on a survey panel measuring infection levels; the timing was happy coincidence. Of course the LFTs produce very few false positives, the PCR confirmation wasn't necessary but still interesting to have.

So I definitely have SARS-CoV-2 in my system, not some random virus, and on checking further, I absolutely tick 4 of the 5 most frequently reported symptoms of Omicron. Obviously I'm fully isolating.

There was no advantage to me in doing another LFT until required for ending isolation but I have a bunch in stock, so I decided to perform one on Thursday, which was Day 3 if Day 0 is symptoms starting on Monday. I was expecting, hoping, to see how strong a T line I would get. But that test was negative, even when I used a magnifying glass in good lighting to look for a hint of a shadow of a trace of a ghost of a line. Nothing.

My swabbing has been gag-inducingly diligent, I follow all the other instructions. But I am surprised at only getting one weak-looking positive test with clear negatives two days before and one day afterwards. Maybe it's accurate in technical terms in that there were only virions or virus fragments in my throat and nose on that one day?

On my sample of one (not exactly a strong data set!) the positive results are useful; the negatives don't tell you much.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess that inconclusive (negative) test result means you are not a super-speader ;)
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Sam the Centipede wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:40 am I've become fretful about the utility of LFTs now based on my personal experience. Yes, I picked up the virus from somewhere, possibly at the end of the previous week in the local hospital where I did a shift for several hours. Or just unluckily in a shop perhaps, I can't think of many obvious danger spots in that period.
Whatza LFT (for the abbreviation challenged) please and thank you? It's not a Liver Function Test.

ETA: Never mind. I did a better job of TheGoogle and found Lateral Flow Test. Thank you.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

According to USPS Informed Delivery, my free tests from the government were supposed to be delivered Wednesday. I was surprised when they weren't, and, checking Informed Delivery, it stated "Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location." No. I think the mailman just missed putting it in my mailbox. Sure enough... it was delivered yesterday. 5 tests with a November expiration date.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

My four federal COVID-19 home tests arrived on Thursday via USPS. I had already received five home tests from the state, which had arrived a couple of weeks ago via Amazon. My wife and I now have nine free tests between us. I am hoping we never have to use them.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:29 am According to USPS Informed Delivery, my free tests from the government were supposed to be delivered Wednesday. I was surprised when they weren't, and, checking Informed Delivery, it stated "Delivery Attempted - No Access to Delivery Location." No. I think the mailman just missed putting it in my mailbox. Sure enough... it was delivered yesterday. 5 tests with a November expiration date.
Oh! Mine are only good through July of 22. My Costco tests are to Jan 23.

Well, I guess I better get busy and do some testing.
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

bill_g wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:01 am ETA: Never mind. I did a better job of TheGoogle and found Lateral Flow Test. Thank you.
Sorry Bill, I forgot to gloss the abbreviation. It's what I have become used to calling them, but it's actually a generic label for the technology, so is non-specific as it includes pee-on-a-stick pregnancy tests and other applications.

And the box containing my tests is labeled more informatively "Rapid Antigen Tests"!

For something so clever it really looks humble if you take one apart, just a strip of paper with a few small papery pads – but the underlying design is breathtakingly neat and clever.
Off Topic
I can't find the link, but this little tale from Twitter about a lateral flow test amused me, it went something like this:
I was looking through a drawer in my bedroom and found the pregnancy test that warned us that I was pregnant with our first child. I had kept it as a memento but had long since forgotten about it. How lovely! But perhaps it was unwise and unkind to run downstairs and exclaim "Look at this!" to my husband, judging by the expression on his face of wide-eyed surprise tinged with horror.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

I got my free covid tests in the mail last week. Today I went to Rite Aid to pick up a prescription, and she handed me another 4 tests because "your insurance (Medicare) pays for 4 of these a month, so we just give the first batch to you when you fill a prescription. Just let us know if you want 4 more next month."
Image Image Image Image
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I just got mine last week in the mail, too. I was beginning to doubt they were going to come.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

FDA warns against using some at-home COVID tests

by: Caitlynn Hall, Chelsea Simeon
Posted: Mar 1, 2022 / 07:40 PM EST
Updated: Mar 2, 2022 / 08:44 AM EST

(WKBN) — The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a safety communication warning people not to use some brands of home COVID-19 tests.

The SD Biosensor STANDARD Q COVID-19 Ag Home Test, packaged in a white and magenta box (see above image), has not been authorized, cleared or approved by the FDA for distribution or use in the United States.

The Celltrion DiaTrust COVID-19 Ag Rapid Test, packaged in green and white packaging (see image below), has also not been authorized, cleared or approved by the FDA for distribution or use in the United States.

The FDA also warned against using ACON Laboratories test named “Flowflex SARS-CoV-2 Antigen Rapid Test (Self-Testing)” that is packaged in a dark blue box (see image below).

The FDA is concerned about the risk of false results when using these unauthorized tests.

If you think you had a problem with a SARS-CoV-2 test, the FDA encourages you to report the problem through the MedWatch Voluntary Reporting Form.

https://www.wkbn.com/news/coronavirus/f ... vid-tests/
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

You can now get a second set of tests free from the government -

https://www.covidtests.gov/
busterbunker

Post by busterbunker »

Thanks for the link!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yes, thanks MN-Skeptic, I ordered our second pack. :thumbsup:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

The White House just tweeted about the 2nd set of free tests again --

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I have a box of tests, unopened. I have another one on the way.

But Omicron is OVER, and ol' Wifehorn isn't flying to Seattle now until late April, so we may never actually open either box.

:shrug:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Ordered and received the second round of free tests. :biggrin:

SIL already used one. Happily he tested negative. Just a cold. :thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Foggy wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 12:37 pm I have a box of tests, unopened. I have another one on the way.

But Omicron is OVER, and ol' Wifehorn isn't flying to Seattle now until late April, so we may never actually open either box.

:shrug:
That's right about the time Omicron 2: Electric Boogaloo is due to start sweeping the US, so stay on top of things (we tend to lag Europe, and our Omicron 2 percentages are starting to rise)
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I ordered a month ago and have zilch :shrug: .
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:41 pm I ordered a month ago and have zilch :shrug: .
It took a really long time for me to get mine. I had decided it wasn't happening, and they finally showed up. I will order more.

My husband was in picking up prescriptions today. N95 masks were free to take, no limit. He brought five home, but he hates it. He's comfortable with the KN95, but I had a feeling he wouldn't like the N95 masks. I tried one on, and it is a little strange, but I will keep them in case I feel we really need it. I'm comfortable with the KN95s we already have.

We have a train trip to Seattle set up for July-August. We are spending time there, and then going over to the Olympic Peninsula to the National Park. We also want to take my granddaughter from there to Victoria. Right now, you must be tested before you can get into Canada. Earlier, it could only be the one taken 72 hours or less in advance. There was absolutely no way to work that. Now, Canada is also allowing the other test. But unless Canada drops all testing, we aren't going to go. I absolutely can't have a positive test for any of us when we're away. We don't live there. I don't know how we would go about quarantining or getting care or get back home. I have reservations for the ferry and a hotel, but I also have alternative reservations for those days. We'll just do a loop of the peninsula when we leave Kalaloch Lodge. At least if you go into Canada, there's no testing required to get back into the US.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I had not ordered the first time, so I did both my orders last week. The first order came 2 days later and the second is scheduled for today. I assume they have distributed these to various warehouses and so, since I am in a very large metropolitan area, mine arrive quicker.

I don't get out often so have had little need for testing (once after we had somebody from church who was near me come down with it and another, right before Christmas eve during the Omicron spike). I decided, with the recent opening, I might want to be prepared as I would not be surprised if we start seeing an uptick by the beginning of April (and we have Holy Week coming up though our parish still requires masks for now).

We have not been called back from Work From Home yet. The spike in gas prices and various schedules may be causing the execs to take it slow right now (I hope).
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Just got this notice from Medicare -
As of April 4, 2022, Medicare covers up to 8 over-the-counter COVID-19 tests each calendar month, at no cost to you. This coverage continues until the COVID-19 public health emergency (PHE) ends. Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) will cover these tests if you have Part B. If you are in a Medicare Advantage Plan, you won’t get this benefit through your plan, but will get it like you would if you weren’t enrolled in the plan. You might need to show your red, white, and blue Medicare card to get your free over-the-counter COVID-19 tests (even if you have another card for a Medicare Advantage Plan or Medicare Part D plan).

More information about this at the link below -

https://www.medicare.gov/medicare-coron ... livery#300
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I used two tests in the last week. I had a cold(?), but I was just so tired with it. I tested last Tuesday, and it was negative. I thought the odds were pretty good that it would be, but the fatigue was making me nervous. It kept up, so I took another one yesterday because we were going to see the grandkids today. It was also negative, so I suppose that I just have a cold that's really dragging me down, although I am finally starting to feel better.

The grandkids were off last week for spring break. The spent most of the week in DC. Before the break, all the kids in the Pittsburgh School System were given tests to take home. They had to use it before they came back with a negative result or they were not allowed back into school.

And the grandkids' other grandmother tested positive a week ago. She is Type 1 Diabetic, is super careful, and still always wears a mask. She has no idea where she could have gotten it.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I went through that about 2 weeks ago. I had to cancel an appointment because of a somewhat mild cold, as colds go. I tested negative. Then my doctor wanted me to come to her office for another test. I told her I have 8 tests, 2 different brands. Tested again, still negative. It was a lingering cold, ok now.

Glad I have the test kits! I have to fly again to Honolulu later this week and will test 3 days later.

(I think I am a lab rat for the hospital. My insurance buys the airline tickets for me and gives me taxi vouchers. I joke with the doctors that they are using me to write a research paper.)
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

A friends granddaughter visited Melbourne from Brisbane for the Gran Prix weekend. They didn't go to the GP, just the Granddaughter.

On Monday, I painted the court boundary lines at our Croquet Club. When I finished I was walking to the Tram stop to go home, and stopped at a Pizza joint to buy a bottle of juice 'cause I was needed a drink. Before I got to the register, my friend tapped me on the shoulder - they were just finishing a pizza. So we chatted and I got him to drive me home. I sat in the backseat with the granddaughter.

On Tuesday I got a message that the granddaughter was feeling bad and tested positive for Covid.

I RATS tested negative on Tuesday and Thursday, as did my wife. No problem. :thumbsup:

On Friday, we get a message that friends wife tested positive. They were testing everyday of course. :crying:

So its still around folks. I suspect the Gran Prix was a superspreader, but we don't get reports like that anymore.
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “COVID-19 and its several variants”