The Retail Politics: 2020 Presidential

Addie

The Retail Politics: 2020 Presidential

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:39 am

Booker has a talent for the glad-handing side of things, I think, and Warren's pretty good at it, too.

Politico
Warren, Booker stand out on chaotic Iowa stage

The sprawling Democratic field, nearly all of whom attended the Hall of Fame dinner, sought to make a splash.

CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa — In the early state where field organization has traditionally mattered the most, Sen. Cory Booker and Sen. Elizabeth Warren have quietly and patiently concentrated their resources toward building grassroots machines designed to power them on caucus night.

It showed here on Sunday as 19 Democratic presidential candidates converged for the first time in one venue to make their five-minute pitch to the party faithful. The gathering, designed to honor Iowa Democrats in a Hall of Fame dinner, offered the first glimpse of a sprawling Democratic primary field — and the organizational strength and enthusiasm each campaign could muster.

Booker and Warren weren’t the only presidential hopefuls to stand out. The senator from next door in Minnesota, Amy Klobuchar, also put on a show of force both inside and outside the Cedar Rapids Doubletree Hilton Hotel, where the dinner took place.

But Booker was among the first candidates to ramp up early in Iowa and it enabled him to flex his muscles Sunday, one day after a new Des Moines Register/CNN/Mediacom survey of likely Iowa caucusgoers placed him at just one percent in the crowded field.

When Booker took the stage before the 1,400-person crowd, dozens of supporters rose to their feet and lifted “Cory Booker 2020” signs that lit up in the dark.

Addie

Re: The Retail Politics: 2020 Presidential

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:52 am

VICE: Ranking the 2020 Democratic Candidates Based Only on Their Walk-Out Songs

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:54 pm

The Gazette
Gala leaves Iowa Democrats enthused but undecided

For some, Sunday's event made their shortlist get longer

CEDAR RAPIDS — If there was a Sports Center Top 10 for the Iowa Democratic Party Hall of Fame Celebration, it probably wouldn’t include any home runs or strikeouts and few, if any, ejections, according to Democrats who were there this weekend to see, hear and evaluate 19 presidential hopefuls.

The progressives in the Democratic field seemed to be fan favorites. South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker and California Sen. Kamala Harris frequently were mentioned as people left the party fundraiser Sunday afternoon in downtown Cedar Rapids.

“I think I’m like most Democrats in Iowa that I had maybe three or four that I was listening for — that would be Kamala Harris, Pete Buttigieg, Elizabeth Warren, maybe a few others,” said Joelle Brown from Iowa City. “Nobody really surprised me because they all did as well as I expected.”

John Ercig of Cedar Rapids went in looking for a candidate with strong progressive values — “Warren mostly. Also Mayor Pete. Pretty much those two.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:30 am

New York Times - Reid J. Epstein
How Pete Buttigieg and Elizabeth Warren Cracked the Code of the 2020 Race ...

More than most of his Democratic rivals, Mr. Buttigieg, the mayor of South Bend, Ind., has cracked the code of the early months of the presidential campaign, embracing TV appearances while mastering the art of creating moments for social media and cable news. The 37-year-old’s campaign was the first to grasp that the early primary race would unfold on mobile devices and televisions instead of at the traditional town-hall gatherings and living rooms in the early states.

He’s not alone: Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts has inundated reporters with policy proposals, prompting hours of cable news coverage and forcing fellow candidates to respond to her ideas during live interviews.

Over the first six months of the presidential campaign, Mr. Buttigieg and Ms. Warren have outfoxed the other 21 Democratic candidates, demonstrating an innate understanding of the value of viral moments and nonstop exposure that drives politics in the Trump era. ...

Ms. Warren took the opposite route to the same destination. Rather than lean into her biography, she rolled out unusually detailed domestic policy plans to grab headlines and inspire activists. She also earned attention for her devotion to taking photographs with every attendee at her events who wants one — more than 30,000 to date, she said on Sunday.

The two have seen their strategies pay dividends. Each vaulted to the top of a major poll of Iowa Democrats released last weekend by the Des Moines Register and CNN, which placed Ms. Warren and Mr. Buttigieg in a virtual tie for second place with Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, behind former Vice President Joseph R. Biden Jr. And on Wednesday, Ms. Warren surpassed Mr. Sanders in a poll of likely Democratic caucusgoers in Nevada, another key early voting state.

Unlike many of their rivals, who built their political careers in the era of carefully chosen, less-is-more press interaction, the two have placed their fate in the hands of TV bookers and the gods of online viral content.

Addie

Post by Addie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:47 pm

The Atlantic - Peter Beinart
Braininess Is Now the Brand

For a party dependent on highly educated voters, Buttigieg’s rise and Warren’s resurgence foretell the future.

Among the biggest surprises of the Democratic presidential campaign so far are the rise of Pete Buttigieg and the resurgence of Elizabeth Warren, both of whom, according to a new Des Moines Register poll, have moved into a virtual tie for second place in Iowa with Bernie Sanders. In many ways, the Buttigieg and Warren phenomena are distinct: Buttigieg promises generational change; Warren is almost 70. Buttigieg emphasizes his success in a conservative state; Warren stresses her willingness to challenge corporate power. Buttigieg has become a darling of the big donors whom Warren eschews.

What unites them, and separates them from Sanders and Joe Biden, is their unabashed intellectualism. Both have made braininess central to their political brand. And it’s working—a fact that offers a window into the changing culture of the Democratic Party. ...

What’s new is that Warren and Buttigieg are leaning into their credentialed intellectualism rather than worrying that it will make them appear elitist. ...

Now a decade or two after Bush and DeLay realized that anti-intellectualism mobilizes Republicans, Warren and Buttigieg have realized that intellectualism mobilizes Democrats. Unlike Biden and Sanders, they both poll significantly better among voters with college degrees, who in recent decades have grown substantially as a share of the Democratic primary electorate. Buttigieg’s reputation for detailed, thoughtful answers—as showcased in his widely hailed CNN and Fox News town-hall events—has helped elevate him above his closest generational rival, Beto O’Rourke. And Warren’s unabashed wonkery has helped her close the gap with Sanders on the party’s left flank. ...

If Warren or Buttigieg wins the nomination, the 2020 presidential race will feature the most profound intellectual contrast in modern American history. It’s difficult to envision a debate between Warren, who asks crowds, “Do I have any net-metering wonks out here?” and Trump, who claims that tariffs are a payment China makes into the United States Treasury. Or between Buttigieg, who speaks about John Rawls and James Joyce, and Trump, who speaks about “Two Corinthians.”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:53 am

NPR
Why 2020 Democrats Are Lining Up For Clyburn's 'World Famous' Fish Fry ...

"Well, it's my world," Majority Whip James Clyburn said, chuckling. "And anybody else who would like to claim space in it." When it comes to South Carolina Democratic politics, it's hard to argue. Clyburn, at 78 years old, is the most influential Democrat in the state, which explains why most of the 2020 Democratic presidential field is headed to Columbia, S.C., next Friday for a chance to appear by his side.

For nearly 30 years, Clyburn has held a fish fry — a once-humble event started to thank supporters who couldn't afford to attend the state Democratic Party's high-dollar dinner — that every four years becomes a must-attend event for presidential hopefuls.

Clyburn wades in and out of presidential primaries. In 2016, he endorsed Hillary Clinton over Bernie Sanders; he stayed out of it in 2008 but was seen as tacitly supporting Barack Obama against attacks from Bill Clinton; and in 2004 he picked John Kerry over fellow Southerner John Edwards. In 2020, he's staying out of it. "I promised the party that I would help them make South Carolina relevant in the presidential [election], and I've been told by more than one person that if I were to make a formal endorsement in this campaign, the rest of the candidates would stay out of the state," he said, a sort of humble brag about his clout.

He's still willing to offer his assessment of the field, where he says former Vice President Joe Biden is the front-runner. "Oh yeah, absolutely, he is. I told everybody that months before: I said if he gets in, everybody else will be running for second place." Biden's front-runner status is especially true in South Carolina — at least for now. The most recent Post and Courier poll gave Biden a 31 percentage point lead over his closest rival, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:22 pm

CNN
Democrats court black voters at South Carolina forum

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN)Four Democratic presidential candidates pitched wholesale changes to the federal government's approach to African-Americans on Saturday, using a forum here in South Carolina to woo the state's crucially important electorate.

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and former Texas Rep. Beto O'Rourke all discussed their plans to combat gentrification, increase capital flowing to minority- and female-owned business, and remake the judicial system at the Black Economic Alliance Presidential Forum, an event aimed squarely at black voters, with a focus on the economy, jobs and business.

Each candidate's message will be heard beyond South Carolina, too: The forum -- moderated by journalist Soledad O'Brien -- will air Sunday on BET.

Black voters make up more than 60% of the electorate in the Democratic primary in South Carolina, making the state a key testing ground for candidates looking to court African-American voters.

Addie

Post by Addie » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:50 am

The Guardian
The secret to Elizabeth Warren's surge? Ideas

Of all the Democratic candidates, Warren has offered by far the most plans-driven and ambitious campaign – and voters love it

On Friday, the Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren co-sponsored a bill to impose mandatory fines on companies that have data breaches. It was the kind of consumer welfare legislation that in the past would have been unremarkable. But in an era when Congress has consistently shirked its duty to shield consumers, the bill stood out.

The legislation capped a week in which Warren surged in the polls. Less than eight months before the Iowa caucus, Warren is making strides in 2020 primary polls. According to an NBC News/Wall Street Journal survey of 1,000 adults, 64% of Democratic primary voters in June were enthusiastic or comfortable with Warren, compared to 57% in March. Fewer of these voters were enthusiastic or comfortable with Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders, who have lost 11 and six points, respectively, since March.

There’s more. In a poll last week of 2,312 registered voters in South Carolina, Warren gained nine points to reach 17% compared to Biden’s 37%. Among 18-34 year olds, Warren is leading 24% to Sanders’ 19% and Biden’s 17%.

There’s a simple reason for Warren’s sudden rise in the polls: the public has an appetite for policy. Of all the Democratic candidates, Warren’s campaign has been by far the most ideas-driven and ambitious in its policy proposals. And voters love it.

Rather than condescend to voters, like most politicians, Warren has treated voters as adults, smart enough to handle her wonky style of campaigning. Instead of spoon-feeding prospective voters soundbites, Warren is giving them heaps to digest – and her polling surge shows that voters appreciate the nerdy policy talk. ...

The strategy is paying off – and proving wrong the outdated political wisdom that Americans don’t care about the intricacies of government.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:45 am

Associated Press
Dems’ presidential field takes spotlight in South Carolina

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — Almost the entire sprawling Democratic presidential field of more than 20 candidates took the same stage in the South’s first primary state, looking to make connections in a primary battleground that has helped propel the party’s last two nominees.

Former Vice President Joe Biden reintroduced himself to South Carolina voters at gatherings he’s attended many times before. His rivals tried to convince a boisterous throng at a Friday event to consider a new path.

“I think I’ve been in every one of your counties over the years,” Biden said at House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn’s annual fish fry, a longstanding event that this year has blossomed into a centerpiece ahead of the 2020 election.

The 76-year-old Biden touted his friendship with Clyburn and other South Carolina politicians, including former Sen. Fritz Hollings, whom the Democratic front-runner eulogized earlier this year.

Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren, meanwhile, made her usual detailed policy pitch. Sen. Kamala Harris of California, one of two major black candidates, called attention to civil rights heroes in a state where black voters typically make up a majority of Democratic primary electorates. And lesser known candidates tried to capitalize on the spotlight, with the likes of entrepreneur Andrew Yang getting a boisterous welcome despite barely registering in national polls.

The fish fry is a highlight of a big political weekend in South Carolina. Candidates also attended the state party’s annual fundraising gala Friday evening ahead of the Clyburn party. The state party convention and a Planned Parenthood forum on abortion rights follow on Saturday.
Adding:
LA Times: Democrats angle for South Carolina voters at Rep. James Clyburn’s fish fry

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:03 am

Greenville News: Key takeaways from Beto O'Rourke's visit to Greenville and South Carolina

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 am

Did she really do this? :-D Good one!
Sen. Kamala Harris danced down the escalator into the SC Dem convention with a whole drum line...

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:10 pm

:cheer:

Raw Story
‘Prosecute the case!’: Kamala Harris delivers impassioned indictment of Trump’s ‘rap sheet’

On Saturday, Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) raised the roof at the South Carolina Democratic Convention with a call to action — and a fiery condemnation of President Donald Trump.

“I know that we have in this White House a president who says he wants to make America great again,” said Harris. “Well, what does that mean? Does that mean he wants to take us back to before schools were integrated? Does that mean he wants to take us back before the Voting Rights Act was enacted? Does that mean he wants to take us back before the Civil Rights Act was enacted? Does he mean he wants to take us back before Roe v. Wade was enacted? Because we are not going back. We are not going back. We see a future. We see a future.”

“And I’m going to tell you, not only am I child of parents who were active in civil rights, fighters and marchers, I also had a career as a prosecutor,” said Harris. “So let me tell you a little bit about that. I know how to take on predators. I took on the big banks and won over $20 billion. I took on for-profit colleges and put them out of business. I took on oil companies who were polluting our environments. I took on transnational criminal organizations who were preying on women and children. I know how to get that job done. And I did it for the people. For the people.”

“So let me tell you, we need somebody on our stage, when it comes time for that general election, who knows how to recognize a rap sheet when they see it and prosecute the case,” said Harris. So let’s read that rap sheet, shall we?”

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:38 pm

LIVE: Democrats speak at Planned Parenthood Action Fund Forum | June 22nd 2019

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:40 pm

Watch live: South Carolina Democratic Convention

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:42 pm

Jim Clyburn fish fry live: Democratic 2020 candidates descend on South Carolina, live stream

Addie

Post by Addie » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:47 pm

BuzzFeed News
“She’s Number One”: Elizabeth Warren Is Having A Moment In South Carolina

“Elizabeth is first and Bernie is second,” a 2016 Sanders campaign supporter said.

COLUMBIA — Progressive voters in South Carolina are starting to see Elizabeth Warren as a reasonable alternative to Bernie Sanders, according to polls and interviews with voters in the critical early primary state.

On Friday, at Rep. Jim Clyburn’s annual Fish Fry, all 22 presidential candidates stood on stage wearing matching blue tee-shirts provided by their host. But voters have started to see Warren as being able to differentiate herself from the pack.

“She’s the one who has plans, she’s the one who can articulate her vision for the future. She has more substance than anybody else,” Harriett Harris, a voter volunteering for Warren’s campaign at the South Carolina Democratic convention told BuzzFeed News.

The admiration for Warren was apparent as she walked onto the stage Friday to some of the loudest cheers for any candidate. She launched into familiar lines from her stump speech about fighting for the working class, dreaming big, and taking on corporations. Before the fish fry her supporters gathered in the parking lot of the South Carolina Children’s Museum could be heard chanting “this is what a Warren stan looks like!” and as she told the audience that she and Clyburn had recently introduced legislation to cancel student loan debt—a man in line for the free drinks yelled “I love you LIz!” back at the senator. ...

“Elizabeth is first and Bernie is second. They haven’t wavered and they’ve changed our party across the entire country. Free college, living wages, free healthcare? Democrats wouldn’t touch that before but now those are the common positions in our party.” ...

Voters and delegates who spoke with BuzzFeed News over the course of Democratic Party convention weekend consistently pointed to various Warren plans that got them interested in her campaign.

Addie

Post by Addie » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:34 am

The Guardian
Biden stumbles over abortion rights while Warren receives cheers

In a first-of-its-kind forum, the former vice-president claimed a ‘100% voting record’ – before his mic suddenly cut out ...

Biden told his audience in Columbia he would codify the right to an abortion, granted in Roe v Wade, into law “as defined by Casey” – a stance more conservative than those of many other Democratic candidates present.

Casey is the 1992 supreme court decision which allowed states to severely restrict abortion access, including imposing waiting periods and medically unnecessary administrative burdens. ...
“We’ve been on defense for 47 years, and it’s not working,” said the Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren. “An inch at a time, a piece at a time, they’ve chipped away, hacked away at the ground under our feet, so access becomes narrower, becomes more limited.

She went on: “This is a democracy. In a democracy, the laws should reflect the values of the people. So I say it is time to go on offense with Roe v Wade. It’s not enough to say we’re going to rely on the courts. We need to pass a federal law to make Roe v Wade the rule of the land.”

That prompted huge cheers.

She continued: “We can add and say: no more of this semi-repeal of Roe, another bite out of Roe, an undercut of Roe. We’re going to make it the law. Let’s make it the law for real again.” ...
But the loudest cheers of the day went to Cory Booker, who called bans passed by states like Alabama a violation of human rights.

“If they come for you in the morning, they come for me at night. This election is about winning,” said Booker, as he stepped off the stage, the only candidate to do so.

“This election is about women! This election is about minorities! This election is about all of us and that’s how I’m going to fight. This election is about liberty and justice for all and we will win!” ...
The audience presented a sea of pink Planned Parenthood shirts. Some were moved to tears. In a bathroom, a woman cried as she said she had “never been to an event like this, and it is so powerful. I want to travel the country.”

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:53 am

Addie wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 am
Sen. Kamala Harris danced down the escalator into the SC Dem convention with a whole drum line...
I'd love to have another cool (and competent) president.

ImageImageImage x4

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:01 pm

Addie wrote:
Better a drum line than a second line.

(Sorry, Dr. John on the mind.)

Tiredretiredlawyer
Occupation: Permanent probationary slave to 1 dog, 1 cat, and 1 horse, 4 granddogs, and one grandcat.

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:18 pm

Slim Cognito wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:53 am
Addie wrote:
I'd love to have another cool (and competent) president.
:thumbs:

A 19th Amendment Centennial Moment: On July 28, 1919, Arkansas became the 12th state to adopt the 19th Amendment.

Lani

Post by Lani » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:29 pm

Addie wrote:
There are several videos in this article: "Harris dances with drum line, leads chant at S.C. convention".
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... ar-AADgOt7

Insert signature here: ____________________________________________________

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:22 am

LA Times: 2020 candidates show unity in South Carolina, wooing black voters and easing up on Biden

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:41 am

Essence
ESSENCE FESTIVAL 2019: Harris, Booker, Warren, O'Rourke And Buttigieg Added to Speaker Lineup

ESSENCE Fest is bringing several of the Democratic contenders for the 2020 Presidential candidate slot face-to-face with the largest gathering of Black women in the country.

Announced today, the 2019 ESSENCE Festival presented by Coca-Cola will host exclusive keynote conversations with five of the leading Democratic contenders in the 2020 Presidential race, including Senator Cory Booker, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, Senator Kamala Harris, Former Representative Beto O’Rourke and Senator Elizabeth Warren.

These live ‘Presidential Spotlight’ segments will take place on Saturday, July 6 and Sunday, July 7, 2019 on the ESSENCE Power Stage at the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center in New Orleans, LA. Following the candidates’ remarks, a question-and answer session with each will be led by Rev. Al Sharpton, ESSENCE CEO Michelle Ebanks and Essence Ventures Founder & Chair, Richelieu Dennis. The Q&A will feature questions generated directly from the ESSENCE community, which includes more than 24 million Black women.

The keynotes will be aired on MSNBC’s Politics Nation with Al Sharpton.

Addie

Post by Addie » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:02 am

RTV6 Indianapolis
Pete Buttigieg to headline Young Democrats of America convention this July in Indy

“We are thrilled to announce that Mayor Pete will join us in July, at the largest gathering of young Democrats in the country. As a young mayor and leading Presidential candidate seeking to represent an unheard generation of voices, Mayor Pete speaks directly to the change happening right now across our country,” said IYD National Committeewoman and South Bend native Arielle Brandy. “Mayor Pete has long been a supporter of the Indiana Young Democrats, and our organization is honored to welcome him to the 2019 Young Democrats of America National Convention, for the first time in Indianapolis.”

Buttigieg will headline the evening General Session on Thursday, July 18 beginning at 7 p.m. Tickets for the convention are available online at the Young Democrats of America Convention website.

The Young Democrats of America Convention is coming to Indianapolis from July 17 - 20 at Union Station. Its the first time the National Convention has been held in Indianapolis in its 90-year history, according to YDA, and the first time the Young Democrats have come to Indiana in over 25 years.

More than 1,000 people are expected to attend.

Addie

Post by Addie » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:49 am

Iowa State Daily
Beto O'Rourke delivers immigration-focused address at Ames house party

Former Rep. Beto O’Rourke, D-Texas, was greeted by a packed house of supporters and scattered thunderstorms upon his return to Ames. He delivered a speech with a focus on immigration.

Joan Bolin-Betts hosted the presidential candidate at her home in Ames. According to the campaign, 160 people attended the event — making for a very hot room while attendees waited for the arrival of the candidate. O’Rourke was joined by his wife and their three children at the event.

“He reminds me of [the late-Iowa Gov.] Bob Ray,” Bolin-Betts said of why she is supporting O’Rourke. “He has a strong moral code; he’s a good family man; he cares about someone else besides himself; he respects other people’s rights — he’s moral through and through.”

Bolin-Betts said she does not believe President Donald Trump has a “moral core.” She added she changed parties in 2016. She supported then-Ohio Gov. John Kasich’s bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination. ...

“Before there was a wall — after there was a wall — in fact, a little bit less safe after there was a wall,” O’Rourke said. “And we are safe not in spite, but because we are a city of immigrants and asylum seekers and refugees.”

Return to “Presidential Election”