Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

In the last century, we had the Roaring Twenties. What should this decade be named?

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

In the last century, we had the Roaring Twenties. What should this decade be named?

Post by Foggy »

I considered a poll, but I'm asking for suggestions due to a failure of imagination.

Too early? Yeah, y'know ... if we have a second Civil War and millions die, further on down the road like in 2026 or so, which certainly seems to be a strong possibility today ... or if a giant solar flare exacerbates global warming and the entire population on both coasts drowns or sumpin' cheery like that, so that the population of the United States can be counted in the hundreds of thousands, then when 2030 rolls around we might need a new name.

For now I'm thinking the Anti-Reality Twenties maybe? The Whackaloon Twenties? Gimme some ideas here. :boxing:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Re: In the last century, we had the Roaring Twenties. What should this decade be named?

Post by bill_g »

I'm going with the Choking Twenties for now. (cough)
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: In the last century, we had the Roaring Twenties. What should this decade be named?

Post by Slim Cognito »

The Are-You-Fucking-Kidding-Me? Twenties.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:53 am The Are-You-Fucking-Kidding-Me? Twenties.
The WTF Twenties
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Pandemic 20's
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

The Dystopian Twenties
Image Image Image Image
Gene Kooper

Post by Gene Kooper »

Sadly, it is likely to be the Everything is on Fire Twenties or the Roaring Fire Twenties.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

So far, so good.

'Course, we also need a few other things, like maybe new names for the gender-challenged amongst us. I know that the aforementioned members of the femalian species, back in the Roaring Twenties, were popularly known as "flappers," "twists," and my personal favorite, "frails".

Narrator: That's his favorite because he's known SO MANY wimmin who were anything but frail. :lol:

So we need a few additions there.

Also too, both my sons are certified Generation Z, which seems to imply it's the LAST generation, unless we make a few changes to the English alphabet. These are the questions that puzzle me. :daydreaming:

Funny, that there never was a popular nickname for the previous decade, but then there wasn't one last century either. :think:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:58 am

Also too, both my sons are certified Generation Z, which seems to imply it's the LAST generation, unless we make a few changes to the English alphabet. These are the questions that puzzle me. :daydreaming:

Funny, that there never was a popular nickname for the previous decade, but then there wasn't one last century either. :think:
1. Do we follow the Weather Service and move to the Greek alphabet. Oh wait.
2. The Otts just sounded dumb. Made me think of Jethro Bodine. As for the Teens, I got nuthin'.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Mr. Gneiss wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:43 am Sadly, it is likely to be the Everything is on Fire Twenties or the Roaring Fire Twenties.
Dumpster Fire Twenties
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Terrible Twenties.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh I like Dumpster Fire Twenties.

You know why that's perfect? In a hundred years, that will be as archaic as Roaring Twenties, and people will have to Goog to figure out what a dumpster even is, much less a smelly and poisonous fire within one. .

But, jeez ...

Brexit is a dumpster fire. Trump is a dumpster fire. The poots and the anti-vaxers and the climate change deniers are all dumpster fires. America is burning, and we're not alone. The whole world is a dumpster fire.

:panic:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Well, I am officially in style. I just had my hair cut in the flapper haircut and I loves to dance! We now must create a dance step for the Dumpster Fire Twenties a la the Charleston.

Per the fashion magazines, the “bob” haircut is IN.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Given what my life has become in light of my efforts to avoid COVID - no travel, restaurants, parties, etc. - The Boring Twenties seems fitting.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

jcolvin2 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:30 pm Given what my life has become in light of my efforts to avoid COVID - no travel, restaurants, parties, etc. - The Boring Twenties seems fitting.
:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Harrumph and humph, sez I. :fingerwag: Didn't you meet a famous (infamous) rooster at the Seattle Zoo this summer?

:thankyou:

It was one of the highlights of my year, and too bad we didn't get more time together. Granted, I was surrounded by fambly that, for some odd reason, didn't have a burning desire to talk polly ticks or anything forum-related. Still, that was a very good day, in my book.

:banana:
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:37 pm Harrumph and humph, sez I. :fingerwag: Didn't you meet a famous (infamous) rooster at the Seattle Zoo this summer?

:thankyou:

It was one of the highlights of my year, and too bad we didn't get more time together. Granted, I was surrounded by fambly that, for some odd reason, didn't have a burning desire to talk polly ticks or anything forum-related. Still, that was a very good day, in my book.

:banana:
Meeting you was one of the highlights of my otherwise drab year (which tells you something about how bad it has been :biggrin: ). Do recall that our time together at the zoo was spent entirely OUTSIDE, where the risks of transmission are significantly lower.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, well I wasn't worried about catching anything from you even indoors, because we were all fully vaxed and Omicron wasn't a thing yet. I felt very safe every moment of that trip, even riding the ferry back and forth across the sound to Bainbridge. Everyone wears masks on the ferry, but there are still germs on the public seats and tables. Those were the good old times, when getting vaxed meant you probably wouldn't get the virus. :daydreaming:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Dumpster Fire Twenties

Terrible Twenties

Viral Twenties - We'll likely be dealing with the coronavirus for at least most of 2022, more likely longer, and even then it will continue to mutate - hopefully to a weaker & less harmful virus. Societies are breaking down, economic, healthcare & racial inequalities are exposed. It's going to be a wild decade.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

For J.D. Robb fans:

The Urban Wars
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Mad Max: Origins.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:yeahthat:

Too also:

The Warring Twenties

The Storming Twenties

The Whoring Twenties (too obscure)

The Deploring Twenties

The Tyrannical Twenties

The Lawless Twenties

(This is fun)
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Frater I*I wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:31 pm Mad Max: Origins.
:thumbsup:
Maybe we could reboot the Mad Max franchise. Call the original film, Episode 4: A New Dystopia, then move on to Episode 1: The Fascist Menace, Episode 2: The Monoclonal Wars, and Episode 3: Revenge of the Steal.
much ado

Post by much ado »

The Terminal Twenties.

Return to “The Funny”