Happy New Year 2022

MisterC

Re: Happy New Year 2022

Post by MisterC »

Happy New Year for those of you've made it this far. We've just had the clock on Copenhagen City Hall, jumped off a chair (ie. jumped into the new year), and sung along to both of our national anthems. Right now the locals are going absolutely berserk with the fireworks (someone from a party in one of the next doors in the block was a) quite drunk and b) fiddling around with a suitcase sized battery, leading to my swift moving indoors), and I'm sitting here watching some old Peter Sellers flick and hoping for a much, much, much improved 2022...
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:like:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Stay safe, kids. Me, I'm not going out at all .. even on normal, non-pandemic years, this is considered amateur night. Lots of fools out there this evening.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

To all the gang; I'm grateful I've had the chance to spend some time with you these past ten years.

Here's to the future!
Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 8.32.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 8.32.17 PM.png (300.74 KiB) Viewed 761 times
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, Happy New Year to everyone here! May all your hopes for 2022 come to fruition.

:bighug: ❤️
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Happy New Year everyone! May all uke dreams come true! :kiss:

jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Happy New Year from some of our other favourite weiner dogs :batting: :batting:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Happy New Year all, I appreciate you and your thoughts and input :bighug:

Now to bitch, the fireworks a**holes didn't even wait for dark. It's quiet now (knock wood), but someone was shooting off some loud pop pop pop stuff an hour ago. Poor kitty, she was just settling in for some lap time and it startled her (she's getting on in years with health issues plus a heart murmur - I was pissed).How hard is it to grasp that fireworks are illegal inside city limits and how effing inconsiderate it is of residents/pets/babies/elderly and just take it somewhere where it's legal and far away from populated areas? *end rant*
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

poplove wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:42 pm Happy New Year everyone! May all uke dreams come true! :kiss:

https://www .youtube.com/watch?v=bxZTt3BN4a8
Thanks for that, I love the Navy band, but don't recall seeing that one before.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

So… in remote Michigan… no social circle tonight… anyone want to Zoom or FB video?
Lani

Post by Lani »

I would have liked a zoom NYE party!

Meanwhile here, I mentioned in Hijack This Thread that I was awakened by a civil defense call warning of potential island wide flooding. Thunderstorms are predicted through Monday. So I quickly ran some errands and prepared to be stuck at home for a few days.

I thought this would be a quiet NYE. (We're big on fireworks & firecrackers in Hawaii.) I heard a few fireworks, which made Ted upset, so I gave him some of his doggie dope (cbd treats for dogs - very helpful for his aging joints & calming him when he hears fireworks & when he goes to the vet). Then it rained hard again, and all was quiet.

BUT NOW every time there's a brief break from the rain, people go crazy with setting off as much as they can before it rains again. The on again/off again blasts will probably continue until 1 am.

And just now, the heavy rain has restarted, and all is quiet again! :biggrin: until the next time the rain stops
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Fireworks are legal here (of course they are) as are, apparently, mortar rounds, cannons, M80s, weapons of all calibers, and anything else you can explode. They've been going off since Thursday and won't stop until Monday. I do have to say that last night was the first time I've seen the really huge Roman candles that light up the sky with the pretty colors. The look cool but they were setting them off in the empty lot 2 houses down from us and those suckers are LOUD when they blow. We can also hear the fireworks at the baseball field from the City sponsored show at our house.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Happy New Year to all.

In recent times the “reporting” and pulling together of various sources in the US (and around the world) on The Fogbow has increasingly shown the apparent widespread degeneration of “journalism” - even the BBC seems to be employing more and more second-rate, click-baiting, social-media-savvy half-wits (I know that’s a generalisation). Thus The Fogbow is not only a fun and friendly place to be, it is also too an even more valuable source of information and opinion.

Thanks for all your work Foggy, and to everyone who contributes to making this such a great site.
:clap:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Lani

Post by Lani »

The rain stopped again at 11:45. Immediately we were in a war zone (or so it sounded). Everyone with fireworks & crackers shot off everything they had, as fast as they could. Ted got on my bed so he could have hugs, belly rubs & scritches until things quieted down - an hour later.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

I thought NYC had canceled the Times Square ball drop... at least most all are masked-up.

bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

We watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button last night. It seemed apropos for the year.
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

Happy New Year Fogbowers!

Yeah, it still sucks that the old Fogbow was lost. I also miss members who either did not come back (I am sure there are some but thankfully not many), and the members who either passed away or just left for whatever reasons.

I lost my older sister in November. Since she was 17 when I was born she was like a second mother to me and my younger brother. She survived COVID last winter but couldn't beat diabetes and other maladies of old age.

At least we retired that vile piece of orange filth this year. Every day with Joe Biden as President is better than any day in the prior four years.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm so sorry about your sister. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

0761B8F5-CEAD-4B4B-A1CE-FC90A7789857.jpeg
0761B8F5-CEAD-4B4B-A1CE-FC90A7789857.jpeg (68.85 KiB) Viewed 602 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Happy New Year, everyone! Wishing health for us all, and an end to this accursed pandemic.

My wife and I stayed in last night-- even before Covid, we never thought New Year's Eve was a good night to be on the roads. So I roasted a duck, she opened one of her prized bottles of pinot noir, we watched the ball drop in Times Square (we live in California now, but we are from New York, so midnight in Times Square is New Year's wherever we are) and made an early night of it.

Thanks to all of you (and especially His Fogginess) for this site, a refuge of sanity amidst the craziness of the internet (and country, and world). I hope we all have a better year in 2022. :grouphug:
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Started the year off with a bang. Or a boom. At about 11:25 am, there was a loud, distant boom, the house shook, and the windows rattled. There's lots of speculation, from an earthquake to a sonic boom, but I haven't heard anything official yet. I will wait. From the posts of Next Door, it was heard and felt in a large area around Pittsburgh, mostly south.

:popcorn:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:06 pm Started the year off with a bang. Or a boom. At about 11:25 am, there was a loud, distant boom, the house shook, and the windows rattled. There's lots of speculation, from an earthquake to a sonic boom, but I haven't heard anything official yet. I will wait. From the posts of Next Door, it was heard and felt in a large area around Pittsburgh, mostly south.

:popcorn:
perhaps this (searched cause nosy):
Unconfirmed earthquake or seismic-like event: Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, 182 mi northwest of Washington, Washington DC, USA, Jan 1, 2022 11:24 am (GMT -5) - 2 hours 48 minutes ago
https://www.volcanodiscovery.com/earthq ... 2-USA.html
text in earch result mentioned somthing like sounding like an axplosion

but this:
Inexplicable ‘boom’ Startles South Hills, Pittsburgh Region – CBS Pittsburgh

By: KDKA-TV News Staff

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) – This morning, many residents of the South Hills and Pittsburgh area noticed a very loud “bang” and some shaking.

Explosions were heard around 11:30 a.m. Saturday.

People have taken to social media and contacted KDKA, asking for answers.

Agencies are currently investigating the incident, but very few details are known at this time.

While Allegheny County officials acknowledged there was a “loud bang,” they claimed it was not caused by seismic activity, thunder, or any construction at Pittsburgh International Airport.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yes, I'm going to wait for the official word, hopefully at some point today. There are lots of theories. It never occurred to me that it could be an earthquake at the time it happened. KDKA is my go-to, so I will stay tuned. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

While not yet official, the consensus seems to be meteorites/meteor. Everyone agrees the sound was distant, and the shaking lasted about three seconds. Some places had security systems that caught the sound and movement. Mine was off. It wouldn't have been seen because it was daylight and it's been raining all day, so very overcast. I can't decide if it's a good omen or a bad omen for the year. Or neither. :think:

Return to “General Stuff”