Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Dogs!

Estiveo
Verified:

Re: Dogs!

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:rotflmao:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

New pics of my fur kids!

Sasha

Von

It's had to tell from the pics, but Sasha is an 80lb dog, while Von - who hasn't been weighed at the vet recently, stands a good 4-6" taller than her, so he's really big!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The word that comes to mind is regal! :lovestruck:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Sasha looks like she might be a feisty girl. :kiss: Both of them are good dogs
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Regal - I like that!

Sasha can be pretty feisty, but it much more of a playful feistiness than anything. She and Von love to play-fight :)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Beat me to it, raison. Just came to post same. :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That turtle is pretty fast!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Poor tortoise needs a girlfriend.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Monrovia, where we used to live, was apparently a hotbed of turtle and tortoise ownership. We knew three families ourselves, and in one neighborhood, “missing turtle” posters were common, often several at once. They almost always replaced them with “found” posters when appropriate. I wonder if they were found together?
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

a special

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2022/0 ... 651242867/
Study: Dog's breed has little influence on behavior

Dog enthusiasts have thought they also were passing along specific behavioral traits within breeds, giving rise to certain stereotypes -- Golden Retrievers are affectionate and fun-loving, Rottweilers are confident and aggressive, and Chihuahuas are yappy and excitable.

But what breed a dog is might actually account for as little as 9% of its behavioral traits, a new genetic study shows.

Instead, all dogs appear to share a wide range of behaviors developed during the 10,000 years they've spent with humans, and particularly in the past couple of millennia during which they have been given specific jobs like guarding or herding, the researchers said.

In particular, the researchers found that aggressiveness - how easily a dog is provoked by things that are frightening or uncomfortable - is almost completely uninformed by breed.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:14 pm

In particular, the researchers found that aggressiveness - how easily a dog is provoked by things that are frightening or uncomfortable - is almost completely uninformed by breed.
This 'study' is horribly flawed.

"The investigators then compared this data with more than 18,000 pet owner surveys from Darwin's Ark, an open-source database of owner-reported canine traits and behaviors, to see whether certain genetic traits lined up with specific types of conduct.

"People are actually very good at telling us about their dog's behavior," Karlsson said. "They spend a lot of time watching it. And if you ask them, they will tell you, and they tell you really accurately.""

No, owners do NOT report accurately. I watch a FB page called Animal Sense: Basic Training And Behavior Problems, and it is shocking how many people haven't the foggiest idea why their dogs are growling and air snapping at their children. There are too many people out there who still believe the 'alpha' dog canard.

But, the study is flawed because it's self-reported, not a study done by researchers who know what they are doing, and who are doing it in a controlled environment.

"The investigators then compared this data with more than 18,000 pet owner surveys from Darwin's Ark, an open-source database of owner-reported canine traits and behaviors, to see whether certain genetic traits lined up with specific types of conduct."
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Thanks, Azastan! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Azastan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 9:55 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:14 pm

This 'study' is horribly flawed.

"The investigators then compared this data with more than 18,000 pet owner surveys from Darwin's Ark, an open-source database of owner-reported canine traits and behaviors, to see whether certain genetic traits lined up with specific types of conduct.

"People are actually very good at telling us about their dog's behavior," Karlsson said. "They spend a lot of time watching it. And if you ask them, they will tell you, and they tell you really accurately.""

No, owners do NOT report accurately. I watch a FB page called Animal Sense: Basic Training And Behavior Problems, and it is shocking how many people haven't the foggiest idea why their dogs are growling and air snapping at their children. There are too many people out there who still believe the 'alpha' dog canard.

But, the study is flawed because it's self-reported, not a study done by researchers who know what they are doing, and who are doing it in a controlled environment.

"The investigators then compared this data with more than 18,000 pet owner surveys from Darwin's Ark, an open-source database of owner-reported canine traits and behaviors, to see whether certain genetic traits lined up with specific types of conduct."

Do you mean "People are saying.." "I read once on the internet..." and "Everybody knows...." are not valid scientific methods of gathering data?
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Gregg wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:22 pm

Do you mean "People are saying.." "I read once on the internet..." and "Everybody knows...." are not valid scientific methods of gathering data?

You'd be amazed at how many proud parents lovingly shove their 2 month old baby's face right up against a Rottweiler's mouth with the Rottweiler showing whale eye and licking it's lips.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Azastan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:33 pm
Gregg wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:22 pm

You'd be amazed at how many proud parents lovingly shove their 2 month old baby's face right up against a Rottweiler's mouth with the Rottweiler showing whale eye and licking it's lips.
Wouldn't surprise me a bit based on the number of people with pits who post photos of their toddlers smacking and jumping on them.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

sugar magnolia wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:02 pm
Wouldn't surprise me a bit based on the number of people with pits who post photos of their toddlers smacking and jumping on them.
I swear I wish social media would ban all posts of small children getting up close and personal with dogs.

Years ago, I took my big Thoroughbred Hap to State Fair. He was a gorgeous gelding with a soft, gentle eye.The horse barn had nice stalls, but unfortunately the stalls did not have a top closure, just a half door. I put a big sign on the stall saying "This horse bites people." I was just happy that the barns didn't get a lot of traffic from people who weren't exhibitors. Despite this, I walked into the barn to find two young parents holding a toddler over the door so it could see Hap. Hap just looked astonished because no one had ever offered him a toddler before. I ran them off and never took Hap there again.

Hap liked people, but he liked to express his liking by getting mouthy with them.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

FiveAcres wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:57 pm
I swear I wish social media would ban all posts of small children getting up close and personal with dogs.

Years ago, I took my big Thoroughbred Hap to State Fair. He was a gorgeous gelding with a soft, gentle eye.The horse barn had nice stalls, but unfortunately the stalls did not have a top closure, just a half door. I put a big sign on the stall saying "This horse bites people." I was just happy that the barns didn't get a lot of traffic from people who weren't exhibitors. Despite this, I walked into the barn to find two young parents holding a toddler over the door so it could see Hap. Hap just looked astonished because no one had ever offered him a toddler before. I ran them off and never took Hap there again.

Hap liked people, but he liked to express his liking by getting mouthy with them.
None of mine are mouthy, but I always think it's a good thing that the horses are in stalls, because parents have this nonchalant attitude about their kids running and screaming behind the horse.

I agree about social media banning posts of small children getting too close to dogs. I've seen people excuse it by saying 'well, the photo was taken by a professional photographer and it was completely safe because the dog/kid was photoshopped in'.

That doesn't change the fact that now hundreds of stupid parents think it's cute to photograph their toddler with an animal that could potentially kill the kid, scar the kid either physically or mentally for life, and possibly cost the dog it's life.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

FiveAcres wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:57 pm

They're good with hot sauce!
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
tek

Post by tek »

Gregg wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:58 pm They're good with hot sauce!
Neigh... apple-flavored ivermectin!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

of course down under

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:biggrin:
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”