Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Dogs!

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Dogs!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:17 am
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:51 am Oh no! I hope you can work things out with his current owner, but as you say, if not, there's always a dog needing a good home! :bighug: :bighug: (one for you and one for Koa :biggrin:)
Things are looking up. I'm the only person who said Koa will mostly be a house dog, sleep in the house, and play at the Big Dog Park every weekend. Still have a problem with what to do the day I go to Honolulu.... Looking for a dog sitter.
If there was a way to get him to KS for a day I'd gladly do it :mrgreen:

I take it there's no way to get his vaccinations before you have to go? You've probably already thought about this, but when we discovered one of our dogs was behind on his vaccines when we wanted to bring him to see me during a hospital stay, our vet couldn't work him into the schedule, so we took him instead to PetSmart which took care of it on the spot. We were able to bring him to me the next day.

I'm sure something will work out!

Take care :lovestruck:
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

For those of you who have some time and some space, there are 4,000 beagles up for adoption in Virginia. This was pursuant to a court order against a research facility. You need to contact your local SPCA to put your name on the list.

We've had beagles for 25 years. They are the gentlest, kindest, and most affectionate dogs. They need attention, and they need daily walks or space to gambol about to shake all their excess energy. They are chow hounds, so watch the calorie intake else they get fat. They are stubborn. They live by their nose and can be noisy, especially at night if they get wind of something.

But then, they will cuddle up next to you wherever you might be--on the sofa, in a chair, or on the bed.

Our first three lived to be 15, 17+ (she was a rescue), and 16+ (another rescue.) We got our current pal from a breeder, and he is two.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

My first was a beagle boy - Beauregard. He would dig out of our yard several times a week and gather with the other escaped beagles at a house up the street. They’re def pack oriented.
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:45 pm
Lani wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:32 pm Teddy passed away at home this morning. He just drifted away. No scary visit to the vet. The vet is arranging for a person to pick him up since he is too heavy for me to carry him to car. I tried, and sprained my knee.
From all your stories about him, Ted was clearly a Very Good Boy. I'm glad he went peacefully, though I know that does little for the hole in your heart. The fact that we live so much longer than they do is a major design flaw in our universe.
:yeahthat:

Sorry for your loss, Lani. I hope Ted is enjoying treats and cool water on the Rainbow Bridge.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Lani wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:57 am I'm still sad about losing Ted, but have finally stopped crying. Ted was a rejected and abused dog when I found him. We had great years together. I vowed to not have another dog because they break our hearts. But like when I met Ted, I couldn't turn away from Koa. Not a picture of him, but he looks like this.

Black-Goldendoodle.jpg
So glad you and Koa found each other so quickly. Sounds like you are what he needs, and vice versa.

Good luck!
Lani

Post by Lani »

He's coming home tomorrow! I've set up a lead in the backyard so he can play, but not climb over the fence. He'll be in the house a lot and have a nice bed in my bedroom. Fine with me if he wants to sleep on my bed. If he likes to ride in the car, he's in the best family ever.

On Monday, he will be micro-chipped (required in Hawaii), have the shots he needs, and that surgery that men hate, but necessary. After that, I can take him to Big Dog Park a week later. He's been on a lead in a yard for over a year, never interacting with other dogs. I think he will love the dog park!

I have some issues (limited mobility) and am considering training him to be a service dog. Labs, retrievers & poodles are working dogs and enjoy doing have a job.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

That's fantastic!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

awesome.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:52 am He's coming home tomorrow! I've set up a lead in the backyard so he can play, but not climb over the fence. He'll be in the house a lot and have a nice bed in my bedroom. Fine with me if he wants to sleep on my bed. If he likes to ride in the car, he's in the best family ever.
Awww :mrgreen:
I have some issues (limited mobility) and am considering training him to be a service dog. Labs, retrievers & poodles are working dogs and enjoy doing have a job.
Sounds like a great idea!

I'm just so happy for you guys :bighug:
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

:biggrin: Congratulations to Kos coming home. Dogs make life better!
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Lani wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:52 am On Monday, he will be micro-chipped (required in Hawaii), have the shots he needs, and that surgery that men hate, but necessary.
Congratulations!

As far as that surgery goes, we never refer to it around here by its technical name, so's not to offend my fragile male sensitivities. Instead, we refer to a classic Far Side cartoon:
tutored.jpg
tutored.jpg (91.82 KiB) Viewed 725 times
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

When we got Joey from the pound they wouldn’t release him directly to us — we had to pick him up at the vet after his surgery.

When our son met him for the first time he said, “Nothing says ‘Welcome to the family’ like having your balls cut off!”
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yay, Lani and Koa!

:groupdance:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:groupdance: Hubby sends his sympathy to Koa because of his "tutoring".
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

So I called the daughter of the owner that I was on my way to get Koa. When I arrived, UPS was delivering a small box. I pulled up close the front door. She took the package and closed the door. :confuzzled:

The dog formerly named Wes knew as soon as I arrived. He was doing his dancing on back legs routine. I spent about 40 minutes trying to get his freedom harness on. I'd clip one part of it, while he chewed another part of the harness. Also liked to catch my hand in his mouth (gentle, not biting), and nearly toppled the chair by trying to get on my lap. I finally moved away from him. He sat, jumped, and wagged his tail. Obviously he likes me. Unfortunately, I thought this dog needs A LOT training and would likely injure me.

So I called the daughter and told her I cannot get the harness on, so I can't take him home.

She came outside. Together, we got the harness on. He was calmer with her than with me and the boys. Still a big goofball, I asked if she would miss him and did she want to rethink it. She said she was sad, but she loved him and wanted him to have a loving home.

The freedom harness worked! He walked calmly with me to the car, but was confused about why I opened the car door. Urged him to get in. And off we went. He really enjoyed the ride! And was very happy when I drove into carport, for some reason. He was curious, but calm, and walked beautifully with me. He's not house trained. I'm taking him outside frequently, complete with treats and hugs if he does his business.

Mostly he's wandering around to check out the house, play with toys, and frequently check in with me. He didn't know anything about these things called beds. He figured it out. Now he's harassing checking on me frequently, jumping up for pats and tummy rubs, and preventing me from getting this post finished.

About his new name... When I call him Wes, he doesn't respond. Koa, however, seems to make him happy when he hears it.
20220722 Koa (2).jpg
20220722 Koa (2).jpg (201.66 KiB) Viewed 655 times
20220722 Koa2 (2).jpg
20220722 Koa2 (2).jpg (203.83 KiB) Viewed 655 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

He’s so beautiful, Lani! I predict you two will be very happy together. Them doodle dogs, or whatever he is, are smart cookies. He’ll figure out what you want toute suite.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Koa is gorgeous. Congratulations to both of you! Woo-hoo!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Oh! He's so cute! And he really looks happy in those pics :biggrin:

How can any dog not know about beds? That's actually kinda sad that he didn't, but it sounds like you're helping him get caught up on things every dog should know :mrgreen:
Lani

Post by Lani »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:18 pm He’s so beautiful, Lani! I predict you two will be very happy together. Them doodle dogs, or whatever he is, are smart cookies. He’ll figure out what you want toute suite.
He's half poodle, half golden retriever. Goldendoodles are rarely black. He's really beautiful and well bred. When he's calm, he stands like he's in a dog show. Quite amazing. Of course, mostly he wants to play with me. I can't wait until 8 days from now when he can romp at the dog park. He hasn't been around other dogs since he was a baby.

He's so much calmer now that I don't need to hire a trainer to work one on one for Koa & me. We can just go to the next dog class.

I did learn that he is very good at climbing over chain link fences. So he's tethered when he goes outside. :( Late in August, we move to Honolulu. I'm buying into a small condo (7 apartments) that was built in the 1960's. Its a ground apartment with a small yard. Unfortunately, the yard has a chain link which he can climb over. So the 1st thing to do is get a better (and attractive) fence. Dishwasher is the 2nd.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

OMG, Koa is a wonderful dog! I am so happy for you, Lani!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

More pics! More stories! KOA!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
June bug

Post by June bug »

Ho’o’maika’i’ana, Lani and Koa!
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Lani I am so happy for Koa, he found himself a great home! And I am so happy for you, he sounds like he will be such a great companion. He is adorable! I am also looking forward to more Lani/Koa stories.

Hugs to you and Koa.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

What a beautiful young man!
Have fun with him.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

:bighug: for the two of you.

Return to “General Stuff”