Dogs!

Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: Dogs!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I hope it goes well - it sure sounds like the two of you could use each other's companionship! Some think its somehow shortchanging a recently departed pet if you adopt a new one right away, but when we've had to let one of ours go, we've almost always adopted a new one within a week or so. There's nothing in finding a new friend that can take anything away from the memories and love you shared with the previous one. Good luck and many blessings!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:43 pm I hope it goes well - it sure sounds like the two of you could use each other's companionship!
I met him today. He walked on his high legs to reach me. Showoff! He's taller than me, and weighs at least 80 lbs or more. He is a full grown, huge labradoodle, Beautiful curly, shiny black coat. He seems to be healthy. I was a stranger, but he really, really wanted me to be his buddy. Unfortunately, by damn near knocking me to the ground. I found a chair. Every time he was too excited, I crossed my arms and turned away. Then he would sit, sometimes putting a paw on my knee. Then he'd return to trying to get on my lap.

A teenager finally came outside and said the dog is crazy and untrainable. I said no he's not, and he's very smart. He should have been neutered. I told him about dog trainers who can help. I really, really wanted to take him home, but I can't until he's trained. He'd slam me to the ground for hugs and kisses.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
:crying:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Gawd, if my heart melted any more, I'd be dead. There is a 3 week "Train & Board", all positive training, on Kauai. I'm waiting for more information, and specially the cost. :shock: The humane shelter will neuter for $85, which has to be done before the training.

No, haven't brought him home. Yet. Depends....
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Lani wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:58 pm I met him today. He walked on his high legs to reach me. Showoff! He's taller than me, and weighs at least 80 lbs or more. He is a full grown, huge labradoodle, Beautiful curly, shiny black coat. He seems to be healthy. I was a stranger, but he really, really wanted me to be his buddy. Unfortunately, by damn near knocking me to the ground. I found a chair. Every time he was too excited, I crossed my arms and turned away. Then he would sit, sometimes putting a paw on my knee. Then he'd return to trying to get on my lap.

A teenager finally came outside and said the dog is crazy and untrainable. I said no he's not, and he's very smart. He should have been neutered. I told him about dog trainers who can help. I really, really wanted to take him home, but I can't until he's trained. He'd slam me to the ground for hugs and kisses.
My partner's daughter has a Bernadoodle, size large, which is very similar. He's about 100 pounds. His personality type is very much like what you say. He thinks he's a lap dog, and he's a very willful doofus. The paw on the knee to demand attention appears to be a common behavior for the breed.

He's lovable, but strong-willed and only listens when he wants to. Ours is 2 1/2. Neutering made a huge difference, though it took about 3 months after the operation for his testosterone levels to recede to a point where the jumping and physical aggression abated enough for my partner to feel safe (she's 5'4" and fairly physical but still was intimidated by him).

Daughter and Bernadoodle live in a small Manhattan apartment, and walk him in Central Park or let him run at the dog park twice a day, which keeps his energy level manageable.

He was a real handful for the first 1 1/2 years, but is turning into a good dog lately.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I tracked down all the places that train dogs, not including one day a week training. There is no one left here who takes the dog in for a few days or week to train. Well, except for trainers who use electric shock collars :nooo:

Apparently, my island has a retired AKC trainer. I'm trying to track him down. Tomorrow I'll visit with the humane society to see if it knows a good, positive trainer. If so, maybe I can give Koa (I already have a name for him) a home. It's not looking good.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Oopsy. I wrote that the dog "walked on his high legs to reach me. Showoff!" What the dog actually did was walk on his hind legs to reach me. Yep, walked right up to me on two legs. I wish I had taped it.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:23 pm Gawd, if my heart melted any more, I'd be dead. There is a 3 week "Train & Board", all positive training, on Kauai. I'm waiting for more information, and specially the cost. :shock: The humane shelter will neuter for $85, which has to be done before the training.

No, haven't brought him home. Yet. Depends....
My heart is melting, too, and I've not even seen him! I hope you can work something out - that "Train and Board" sounds like a great option if it's affordable - preferably for you to be able to take him home, or if that doesn't work out, then at least to help him find a better home. He sounds like a real diamond in the rough and deserves a chance to really shine!

Best wishes!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:24 am Oopsy. I wrote that the dog "walked on his high legs to reach me. Showoff!" What the dog actually did was walk on his hind legs to reach me. Yep, walked right up to me on two legs. I wish I had taped it.
That sounds adorable!!
Lani

Post by Lani »

Getting closer. Found a good trainer who will work with us at home after Koa has his surgery. Vet will provide that & microchip. I have to buy a leash....
I ordered Two Hounds freedom halter which will make training on a leash easier not as hard.

Sometimes I think I'm nutz to have another big dog.... I made an offer for a condo in Honolulu - my other big decision. It's a ground unit with a fenced yard, and no limits on a dog's size. So he will have some friends if we move there.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Sounds great! Good luck.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

Sounds like a wonderful future for you both.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:08 pm Getting closer. Found a good trainer who will work with us at home after Koa has his surgery. Vet will provide that & microchip. I have to buy a leash....
I ordered Two Hounds freedom halter which will make training on a leash easier not as hard.

Sometimes I think I'm nutz to have another big dog.... I made an offer for a condo in Honolulu - my other big decision. It's a ground unit with a fenced yard, and no limits on a dog's size. So he will have some friends if we move there.
Yea!!! It sounds like things are falling into place for you two! I hope it continues going well! :thumbsup: :bighug:
Lani

Post by Lani »

I'm still sad about losing Ted, but have finally stopped crying. Ted was a rejected and abused dog when I found him. We had great years together. I vowed to not have another dog because they break our hearts. But like when I met Ted, I couldn't turn away from Koa. Not a picture of him, but he looks like this.
Black-Goldendoodle.jpg
Black-Goldendoodle.jpg (83.15 KiB) Viewed 742 times
About the rainbow bridge...
Hidden Content
Lani

Post by Lani »

Things are moving quickly. Wes's/Koa's dad just asked me to please give him a good home. I wasn't ready for that....
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Hidden Content
From the picture, it looks like Koa's going to be a cutie! What does his name mean, if you don't mind my asking?

Take care!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Lani ... wow. You're an awesome lady, and I think Koa is going to be a lucky, lucky dog. Hugs and love to you both. :bighug:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

My grandmother trained her dog in a few unusual ways.

I don't remember all of them, but one trick they had was "Would you rather ___ , or be dead?" Fill in the blank.

So, for example, she'd be with a group of ladies and they'd be discussing fashion or something, and my grandma would turn to her dog and say, "Would you rather wear a turtleneck sweater, or be dead?" and the dog would keel over to the ground, close his eyes, and stick his legs in the air. Dead as a doornail.

Or if she was discussing polly ticks: "Would you rather vote for Trump, or be dead?"

Goner. :wave:

It's nice to have a second opinion. :batting:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hooray for Lani and Koa. He reminds me of Pancake who had no inside house training when my son found her. She is super smart and exuberant. We have had her for two years now and the change from aging and lots of training by me is remarkable. She is such a lover.

Our grandgurlzz cannot get enough of her. They are coming to visit next week and want to know about PANCAKE, not Mimi and Papa.

She is reward oriented especially if the reward is food. We taught her "soft" to mean to be gentle. She also knows "safe" meaning she can't play with you or others, and anyone or dog on a bed, couch, or other furniture is safe. When she visits our son and his dogs, the youngest dog gets on the furniture and walks from piece to piece when he gets tired of playing with her. He's safe if he never touches the floor!

Also, too dog parks are a wonderful way to run off that energy.

Happy for you, Lani, and Koa. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:32 am :snippity:
From the picture, it looks like Koa's going to be a cutie! What does his name mean, if you don't mind my asking?

Take care!
Koa ( Koh-ah) is a rare tree found only in Hawaii. The colors & grains are beautiful, including wavy and curly grains. Koa can be harvested only when the tree is dying, and it is the most expensive wood in the world. (Thank goddess for moving sales - I found a few pieces!) Koa is a strong, hard wood. It's also a Hawaiian name, usually for boys. It means brave, strong, etc.

I picked it for Wes/Koa mainly because it has a strong consonant which dogs seem to like. Allegedly. When I met Ted, I ran through names with him. He looked at me like I was nutz. Then I said "Ted", his ears popped up, he wagged his tail, and he put his head on my lap. My son hated Ted's name because it was too ordinary. He called him President Theodore Roosevelt. Mostly he called him Mr. President, which Ted seemed to enjoy.

If Koa doesn't like his new name, I'll name him Kai (like ki), which means water, ocean, etc. I'm betting he loves water, so I'll get him a wading pool.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:30 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:32 am :snippity:

Take care!
Koa ( Koh-ah) is a rare tree found only in Hawaii. The colors & grains are beautiful, including wavy and curly grains. Koa can be harvested only when the tree is dying, and it is the most expensive wood in the world. (Thank goddess for moving sales - I found a few pieces!) Koa is a strong, hard wood. It's also a Hawaiian name, usually for boys. It means brave, strong, etc.
Oh, nice! That's a great name - I hope he likes it!

Lani wrote:I picked it for Wes/Koa mainly because it has a strong consonant which dogs seem to like. Allegedly

Really? I haven't heard that before, but it makes sense in a way. I imagine the hard consonant can catch their ear easier.
Lani wrote:When I met Ted, I ran through names with him. He looked at me like I was nutz. Then I said "Ted", his ears popped up, he wagged his tail, and he put his head on my lap. My son hated Ted's name because it was too ordinary. He called him President Theodore Roosevelt. Mostly he called him Mr. President, which Ted seemed to enjoy.
Too cute!
Lani wrote:If Koa doesn't like his new name, I'll name him Kai (like ki), which means water, ocean, etc. I'm betting he loves water, sqo I'll get him a wading pool.
Another nice name :) The wading pool sounds like it should be fun for him!
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Cats gotta cat on a dog thread.

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:33 am Lani ... wow. You're an awesome lady, and I think Koa is going to be a lucky, lucky dog. Hugs and love to you both. :bighug:
:yeahthat:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Lani

Post by Lani »

I have to go to Honolulu for 1) checking out the condo I'm buying, and 2) being a post-covid lab rat again at a hospital. I'll be off island for from 7am to 10pm. I can't board Koa b/c he doesn't have adult vaccination. I asked his owner if I could get him the next day. He was pissed that he didn't give Koa to others b/c he thought I was the best owner. Which I am. I asked if he could take care of him just for that day. I'm still trying to find a dog sitter for him at my home.

I don't know what will happen. It's not looking good. I'll return the big dog things I bought from Amazon for him, I guess. Maybe things will be better tomorrow. :cry:

I do know that there is always a great dog waiting for a forever home.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Oh no! I hope you can work things out with his current owner, but as you say, if not, there's always a dog needing a good home! :bighug: :bighug: (one for you and one for Koa :biggrin:)
Lani

Post by Lani »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:51 am Oh no! I hope you can work things out with his current owner, but as you say, if not, there's always a dog needing a good home! :bighug: :bighug: (one for you and one for Koa :biggrin:)
Things are looking up. I'm the only person who said Koa will mostly be a house dog, sleep in the house, and play at the Big Dog Park every weekend. Still have a problem with what to do the day I go to Honolulu.... Looking for a dog sitter.

Return to “General Stuff”