Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Dogs!

Lani

Re: Dogs!

Post by Lani »

Koa. Hard decision.

I took him to the vet today. Everyone there loved him.

Then the vet told me he was worried that Koa was too big for me, which my son had said earlier and often. I lost a lot weight during & after covid. I'm short & skinny. I struggle to eat, but I've barely added any pounds. Still down about 15%.

And then I got a call from the vet's office. A couple fell in love with Koa in the waiting area. They want a doodle and have been looking for one. I was told by the staff that the family love their pets and treat them well. Financially solid, fenced large yard. Lots of attention. They will pay for the vet's bill and the items I bought for Koa.

My first response was no way in hell. But I think they may be right. Maybe my time with him was to rescue him and see him homed with a family who will love him.

Hard decision.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Oh my! :bighug:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Would a smaller dog make it easier to find a condo? A lot of apartments and condos (including ours) limit the size of pets.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I know, and all of us here know, that you will make the best decision for Koa, even if it's really, really unfair to you, and hard. You are a good person, and that leads to grief and pain sometimes.

I think there's a dog out there that is permanently, absolutely, totally right for you. If it's not Koa, it's somebody else.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

What a decision to have to make! Just know that whatever you decide is right.

Doodles - at least the golden part - don’t grow up very fast if ever. They remain bouncy and excitable for a long time. And sweet and loving and all that, but I couldn’t handle a Tigger that big. I have a hard enough time with my Pit Pug. :lol:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Wow Lani, I'm sure you will do what is right for you and Koa. :bighug: That's a toughy.

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Oh, Lani! What a choice to have to make! I know you'll make the right one
Lani

Post by Lani »

I met with the new family at the animal hospital. They are very grateful to have Koa in their home. I had packed up his treats, toys and food. His new dad is a judge, and his new mom chairs a major charity. They paid his vet bill. They have an old labradoodle, so now Koa has a big brother.

I'm ok about it. I got him out of a bad home and into a good one. He's a lucky dog.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Ya done good. Koa certainly is a lucky dog.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:bighug: That must have been a hard decision to make. Koa sounds like such a great doggie, and was lucky that you came along and were able to get him into a much better situation than he was in.

I have never participated in any online forum aside from this one and, for a short time, was among the commentariat of an Oregon news outlet during the takeover of the Malheur Wildlife Refuge. I am often inspired to be a better person when I browse the postings by the FogBowzers.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:21 am I met with the new family at the animal hospital. They are very grateful to have Koa in their home. I had packed up his treats, toys and food. His new dad is a judge, and his new mom chairs a major charity. They paid his vet bill. They have an old labradoodle, so now Koa has a big brother.

I'm ok about it. I got him out of a bad home and into a good one. He's a lucky dog.
They sound like good people, and I know you'd been concerned about his size... You'll find the right companion for you, though! And, yes as others have said, you've done a very good thing by getting him out of a bad situation and into what by all appearances will be a significantly better one :D
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oh Lani. :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

I admit that I miss him, but I'm happy for him. And this will make it easier to find a condo since many don't allow dogs or limit their size.

The condo I'm buying has no dog restrictions & a private yard for a doggo. However, I got the inspection report. It's a '60's condo, and the water pipes are failing. I'll have to replace them. Last year, the condo above it leaked and damaged the ceiling (repaired).

Apparently, the age of the condo seems to have reached the age that pipes throughout the building need replacement. And when the inspector turned on the shower, the handled fell off, flooding part of the floor! :shock: The condo is being sold as-is, but I haven't signed the final documents. We're asking for $9k rebate. I was ready to have the place painted, new appliances, etc., but not replacing all the pipes, too.

Unfortunately, if the seller doesn't agree, I have to start all over again, now with a higher interest rate. :(
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.nbcnews.com/science/weird-s ... -rcna39333
Dogs can ‘see’ with their noses, study suggests
The discovery suggests smell and vision in dogs are integrated in some way, although it’s not known how dogs experience the two senses functioning together.

A study published this month in the Journal of Neuroscience revealed that vision and the sense of smell are connected in the brains of dogs, something not yet found in any other species.

“The most interesting thing about this research are the connections from the nose up to the occipital lobe, which houses the visual cortex,” said veterinary neurologist Philippa Johnson, an associate professor at Cornell University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and senior author of the study.

She and her colleagues studied MRI scans of the brains of 23 dogs that showed neurological connections between the olfactory bulb, where smells are recognized, and their occipital lobe, where vision is processed.

The discovery suggests smell and vision in dogs are integrated in some way, although it’s not known how dogs experience the two senses functioning together.

“Scent contributes to the visual cortex in dogs, but a dog’s experience is hard for us to know,” Johnson said. “But I think they can use scent to work out where things are.”
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

I cannot follow most pet threads very closely because frankly, stories of pets getting older and the hard decisions surrounding them and all that just hurts me too bad. So I skim. As sad as I am you had to let this dog go, I'm happy it found a great new home, even if you only had it for a minute, it was a minute that he needed.

Now, seeing one of the issues was he was too large and you were too not large allow me to humbly propose the obvious solution.

Wiener Dog

Small, affectionate, loyal and fearless, plus the only dog I have ever taught to fly an airplane. (okay, they suck at it, but they can be taught to look out the window and appear very happy doing so... Just, well, I take the landings myself, nuff said)

Also skilled in sitting in little red race cars...

And just being generally adorables, even if they tend to get into your personal space...

yes, the Mighty Dachshund, a Sausage Dog for everyone! :bighug:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Lani

Post by Lani »

My son is concerned that I no longer have a dog. He's right - everyday I wake up and realize I don't have a beloved a dog.

Apparently he's been searching for a dog for me to rescue. He likes this dog. It looks like that dog needs hugs.
Attachments
border collie.jpg
border collie.jpg (55.05 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Fiascoist

Post by Fiascoist »

Paxton is a handsome fella. And a good age, puppish antics done but still young enough for a lot of fun for the two of you.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:40 am My son is concerned that I no longer have a dog. He's right - everyday I wake up and realize I don't have a beloved a dog.
:( :bighug:
Apparently he's been searching for a dog for me to rescue. He likes this dog. It looks like that dog needs hugs.
Your son sounds like a real s weetheart! As for Paxton, he's adorable! And he definitely could use some hugs!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Just say YES to Paxton!!!!!! Border collies are smart and affectionate!!!!!!!
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I laughed so hard at this. Thanks!!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I needed that today, thanks!!
Lani

Post by Lani »

:rotflmao: Loved it!

I'm watching the Honolulu & Kauai humane societies for a dog that needs me, and vice versa. Likely I'll wait until I move in September. Dog friendly condo, no weight restrictions. The closest roads aren't congested & have trees along the way, so a good place for walking. Dog Park nearby. Small condo - only 7 units.

Return to “General Stuff”