Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Dogs!

June bug

Dogs!

Post by June bug »

Sooo cute! :lovestruck:

As for a name, how about Kukui?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Dogs!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Chewy hit the BIG TIME!! :biggrin: :groupdance: :banana: :dog:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by AndyinPA »

Lani wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:13 am His name is Chewy. Not my choice, but he knows his name. Maybe a name that starts with ch would be acceptable to him?

He's very cheerful! Jumped in my car, stuck his head out the window, and enjoyed the trip to his new home. He loves my little yard - which is a wreck. (Haven't had time. Still unloading boxes and holding down my job.) His face looks like a husky or wolf. He has his winter coat, and has some snarls I'm working on. He is not a little dog. About beagle size. He has no problem with jumping on and off my bed.

I ordered some toys from Target today, but I only got a ball. Tomorrow morning, lots of chewy toys will arrive.

Pic for you.

Chewy (2).jpg
So cute!

We got a golden retriever from a pound. Her name was Mokie when we got her. We assume her former family watched the Fraggles. We changed her name to Smoky. That was very similar, so we don't think she ever knew the difference. Of course, there was nothing Smoky about her, but she didn't care, and we liked it better.

So maybe if there's a name that you like that has some similarity to Chewy, it might not be so hard to change her name. That said, I don't think Chewy is such a bad name for a dog. I wonder if she came by it honestly as a pup. :lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by Phoenix520 »

We found a dog in the parking lot of a restaurant, an Asian fusion place called Chou & Garcia’s. He was Sharpei/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. We called him Chouie.

He did. He was over 100 lbs. He tore the entire lintel off the door IN ONE PIECE once, we think trying to go after a bear. They crossed our property daily and he didn’t like it.

Try Chevy?
qbawl

Dogs!

Post by qbawl »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:25 pm We found a dog in the parking lot of a restaurant, an Asian fusion place called Chou & Garcia’s. He was Sharpei/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. We called him Chouie.

He did. He was over 100 lbs. He tore the entire lintel off the door IN ONE PIECE once, we think trying to go after a bear. They crossed our property daily and he didn’t like it.

Try Chevy?
No good! You'd have to Chase him too often!
sugar magnolia

Dogs!

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:25 pm We found a dog in the parking lot of a restaurant, an Asian fusion place called Chou & Garcia’s. He was Sharpei/Rhodesian Ridgeback mix. We called him Chouie.

Try Chevy?
We had a happy black lab that ate a hole through the side of our house one time. His favorite"stick" to play catch with was a 2x4.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Dogs!

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, remember when Britty's dog trapped himself in the bathroom and HE ATE THE BATHROOM DOOR to get out? :o

He made a hole in the middle of the door big enough to get out, and he was a BIG dog. So, umm ... no. He didn't eat the whole door. He did a job on it, though, with tooth and claw. He ripped the crap out of that door, and escaped the bathroom.

What a beast. :lovestruck:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Chilidog

Dogs!

Post by Chilidog »

Chewy needs a Bark Box subscription.
humblescribe
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by humblescribe »

Don't tell Hank the beagle or Boomer the Jack Russell/Chihuahua mix, but I is jealous.

You're going to have to figure out where and what kind of pets, scratches, scritches, tummy rubs, and other forms of personal attention strikes a chord with Chewy.

[Our Supreme Dick Tater and All-Around Swell Guy should try to add a doggie smilie to this site, if'n it is possible.]
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
roadscholar

Dogs!

Post by roadscholar »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:27 am
Lani wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:13 am His name is Chewy. Not my choice… :snippity:

Chewy (2).jpg
So cute! :snippity: :bighug:

So maybe if there's a name that you like that has some similarity to Chewy, it might not be so hard to change her name. That said, I don't think Chewy is such a bad name for a dog. I wonder if she came by it honestly as a pup. :lol:
Especially if it’s short for Chewbacca!
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Gregg

Dogs!

Post by Gregg »

I suspect Chewy might be short for "I chewed everything". They're so cute you don't even mind. :thumbsup:
Supreme Commander, Imperial Illuminati Air Force
:dog:

You don't have to consent, but I'm gonna tase you anyway.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I was asking myself what I'd call him if I was adopting him and the first thing that came to mind was Jasper. Thought I'd throw that out there for whatever er it's worth :)

As for renaming a 2 year old dog, we got Von when he was 18 months. The shelter had been calling him Bradley, but we changed it when we brought him home. It only took about two or three days before he was responding fairly consistently to "Von", so it might not be that hard the change if you decide you want to.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Dogs!

Post by RTH10260 »

;) dogs are like cats - they recognize the hands and voices that feed them :biggrin:
Lani

Dogs!

Post by Lani »

We went for a walk at lunchtime. He was not at all worried about the mobility scooter, other than his insistence on walking on the right side. He was so happy! Didn't see any other dogs, but they'll be out after their servants return home from work.

So at 5:30, we headed out again. But no dogs except a block away.... Next up - we'll check out a dog park a few blocks away.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by Volkonski »

:thumbsup:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by AndyinPA »

Sounds great. I'm so happy for you, Lani. :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Dogs!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I just learned about this group today while ordering my annual holiday wreaths from Lynch Creek Farms. You can order a special Veterans Wreath and $5 will go to this nonprofit.

https://k9sforwarriors.org/
The Nation’s Largest Provider
OF SERVICE DOGS FOR VETERANS

Determined to end veteran suicide, K9s For Warriors provides highly-trained Service Dogs to military veterans suffering from PTSD, traumatic brain injury and/or military sexual trauma. With the majority of dogs coming from high-kill rescue shelters, this innovative program allows the K9/Warrior team to build an unwavering bond that facilitates their collective healing and recovery.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Dogs!

Post by Lani »

2nd full day. Another walk around the block. He enjoyed meeting people, especially a little girl who loved petting & hugging him. Then I drove to a corner shop to pick up dinner. He hung out the window - he loves being in a car. But on the way home, he ate my breakfast coffee cake. :mad:

I was signing up to have him be neutered and given his shots when the humane society cut of the age to one year. :mad: Now I have to find a good vet soon. (The previous owners told me he had everything before they bought him home, including neutering. They lied.) No wonder he loves me so much. I think his life wasn't very good. He immediately jumped in my car and has been been nothing less than happy every day.

He is kinda housebroken. I need to wake up earlier to let him out or ugh. I ordered some pee mats for him that I can put by the door if I don't wake up early.

He keeps a good eye on me. When I go to bed, he puts his toys under my bed and then jumps up on the bed for sleepy time. He's doing that now.

He responds to Duke, but to be honest, I just said butt head and he came to me. :? The quest for a name continues.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by Phoenix520 »

My sister named her Pom Freddie Mercury cuz he’s such a rock star. Just sayin’. :batting:

I’m so happy for you, Lani! Good things come to she who waits…
Lani

Dogs!

Post by Lani »

I think I'll call him Mocha. Not that it matters. I can say shithead, and he'd still be happy. I'm contacting local veterinarians about the cost of neutering and vaccinations. Poor pup, but it needs doing.

I weighed him for the first time. He's about 18 lb, which is usual for his breed.

Jeebus, I just read that that the cost of a pomski is :shock: $2,000 to $5,000 IF there is a reputable breeder. I suspect that the former owners wanted to make money from him, but didn't have the papers to use him as a stud.

Anyway, now he is here, safe, and happy all the time.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:43 amAnyway, now he is here, safe, and happy all the time.
That's so wonderful! I'm thrilled for you both! Mocha is a nice name :biggrin:

Have you talked to the Humane Society to see if they do neutering? I know the one in our area does and they tend to,be a lot less expensive than a regular vet.
Lani

Dogs!

Post by Lani »

The humane society stop offering veterinarian care 2 days ago. :(
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Dogs!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Lani wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:57 am The humane society stop offering veterinarian care 2 days ago. :(
Oh, ouch! Well, best wishes for finding someone soon!
sugar magnolia

Dogs!

Post by sugar magnolia »

Lani wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:57 am The humane society stop offering veterinarian care 2 days ago. :(
Lani

Dogs!

Post by Lani »

Thanks. It's a bit far from home. I avoid driving on Oahu. I amazed myself by getting to Mocha and back home. :o Scared me all the way. :eek: It's the long covid. I worry about driving.

There are a couple of vets within 3 miles, so I'll check them out, but won't have the prices that the humane society did. I hope Mocha and I can walk (or scooter) to the offices.

Return to “General Stuff”