Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Book Banning

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Book Banning

Post by Volkonski »

Here are 50 books Texas parents want banned from school libraries
Records requests uncovered dozens of attempts to remove library books from schools, nearly all related to titles dealing with racism, gender or sexuality.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/te ... d_nn_tw_ma

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Bring all your Harry Potter stuff. Laugh all you will haters. I don’t care. IT’S WITCHCRAFT 100%.
All your “Twilight” books and movies.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

The remains of this guy's church, are the embers still glowing :?:
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:28 pm
Ridgeland Mayor Demands LGBTQ+ Book Purge, Threatens Library Funding

Ridgeland Mayor Gene McGee is withholding $110,000 of funding from the Madison County Library System allegedly on the basis of his personal religious beliefs, with library officials stating that he has demanded that the system initiate a purge of LGBTQ+ books before his office releases the money.

Tonja Johnson, executive director for the Madison County Library System, told the Mississippi Free Press in an afternoon interview that she first reached out to Mayor McGee after failing to receive the City of Ridgeland’s first quarterly payment of 2022.

Johnson said the mayor informed her that no payment was forthcoming......
https://www.mississippifreepress.org/20 ... y-funding/
Now (yesterday, actually)
Six minutes into the board of aldermen meeting, city leaders voted to go into executive session and stayed there for more than an hour.

When it comes to money allocated towards the library, it was not discussed by the board. Instead, one of the board’s attorneys, John Scanlon, read a statement on behalf of the alderman.

Scanlon said the board did include those funds in this year’s budget. He stated that the money can only be given out by the board and board of alderman. So far, Scanlon said none of that money has been given out and none of it is due to the library at this time.

The board attorney said the city plans to fulfill all obligations to the library and not wrongfully withhold any of the money. Right now, Scanlon said the board is speaking with the library system’s attorney to pursue the “legally enforceable agreement.”
https://www.wlbt.com/2022/02/02/city-ri ... c-library/

Hmmmmmm.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Volkonski wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:08 pm
Records requests uncovered dozens of attempts to remove library books from schools, nearly all related to titles dealing with racism, gender or sexuality.

Wow. The irony and lack of self awareness here is astounding.
A Leander parent suggested replacing children's books that mention gender identity or sexuality, including this one, with "classics," such as "White Fang," "The Indian in the Cupboard," "The Swiss Family Robinson" and Shakespeare.
Jack London- white supremacist.

"The Indian in the Cupboard" - racial stereotypes abound.

"The Swiss Family Robinson" - filled with animal abuse, cruelty, sexism snd racism.

And obviously, that parent has never actually read Shakespeare. His plays are at best burlesque shows of dirty jokes and sexual puns. Hamlet is about incest.
raison de arizona

Volkonski wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:08 pm

Moar:
Another parent in Katy, a Houston suburb, asked the district to remove a children’s biography of Michelle Obama, arguing that it promotes “reverse racism” against white people, according to the records obtained by NBC News. A parent in the Dallas suburb of Prosper wanted the school district to ban a children’s picture book about the life of Black Olympian Wilma Rudolph, because it mentions racism that Rudolph faced growing up in Tennessee in the 1940s. In the affluent Eanes Independent School District in Austin, a parent proposed replacing four books about racism, including “How to Be an Antiracist,” by Ibram X. Kendi, with copies of the Bible.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:16 pm Moar:
Another parent in Katy, a Houston suburb, asked the district to remove a children’s biography of Michelle Obama, arguing that it promotes “reverse racism” against white people, according to the records obtained by NBC News. A parent in the Dallas suburb of Prosper wanted the school district to ban a children’s picture book about the life of Black Olympian Wilma Rudolph, because it mentions racism that Rudolph faced growing up in Tennessee in the 1940s. In the affluent Eanes Independent School District in Austin, a parent proposed replacing four books about racism, including “How to Be an Antiracist,” by Ibram X. Kendi, with copies of the Bible.
She apparently never has read the perverse crap that is in the bible. Just sayin' .. :whistle:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Oklahoma bill would fire teachers for offending Christian morals by teaching biology
The bill would allow parents to sue teachers for $10,000 "per incident, per individual." The fine would need to be paid by the teacher "from personal resources" and the educator cannot "receive any assistance from individuals or groups" or they'll be fired.

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2022/02/okl ... eg.twitter
Oklahoma Sen. Rob Standridge (R) has introduced legislation that would allow parents to sue any public school educators who teach anything “in opposition to closely held religious beliefs of students.” Standridge has also introduced a bill that would give individual parents the power to demand the removal of any book from school shelves that they believe contains LGBTQ content.

While the proposed laws are reminiscent of religious edicts imposed by the Taliban in Afghanistan, Standridge, a Trump follower, isn’t backing down from his hateful attacks on the LGBTQ community.

The bill would allow parents to sue teachers for $10,000 “per incident, per individual.” The fine would need to be paid by the teacher “from personal resources” and the educator cannot “receive any assistance from individuals or groups.” If the teacher is unable to pay and receives assistance, they will be fired immediately and unable to teach in the state for five years.

“A biology teacher who explains evolution could be ratted out by a Creationist who’s failing science class. A health teacher who educates students about different forms of birth control won’t be in that classroom for very long if an abstinence-promoting teenager is on the roster,” journalist Hemant Mehta explained.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My Gawd.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

No, only their gawd. :mrgreen:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Handmaid’s Tale: Thé Prequel

:o
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Time to take your teaching skills somewhere else.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

I teach history

sounds like it is time for me to retire.

I would like to teach another 6 years-to buy my last car and pay off some bills but I will not bow down to lying to my students . Nope-not gonna do it
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

Every year there are some wackadoofle state bills that get put up that have no hope of passing. This is one of them.
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:39 pm Every year there are some wackadoofle state bills that get put up that have no hope of passing. This is one of them.
Let's hope.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
filly

Post by filly »

Chilidog wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:39 pm Every year there are some wackadoofle state bills that get put up that have no hope of passing. This is one of them.
Are you familiar with the Texas anti-abortion law?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Question: is it lawful (constitutionally permissable) to forbid someone from receiving help?
realist

Post by realist »

Connery Reading Books Instead of Banning Them.jpg
Connery Reading Books Instead of Banning Them.jpg (55.43 KiB) Viewed 10607 times
Image X 4
Image X 32
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I saw something on facebook last night talking about how the Christians burned books of witchcraft and sorcery in Acts 19. Well, bieng me I looked it up and that's not quite true. Some Christian converts burned their OWN scrolls of sorcery after they converted, but the Christians never grabbed any books and burned them.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... ersion=NIV
Paul in Ephesus

19 While Apollos was at Corinth, Paul took the road through the interior and arrived at Ephesus. There he found some disciples 2 and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when[a] you believed?”

They answered, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

3 So Paul asked, “Then what baptism did you receive?”

“John’s baptism,” they replied.

4 Paul said, “John’s baptism was a baptism of repentance. He told the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. 7 There were about twelve men in all.

8 Paul entered the synagogue and spoke boldly there for three months, arguing persuasively about the kingdom of God. 9 But some of them became obstinate; they refused to believe and publicly maligned the Way. So Paul left them. He took the disciples with him and had discussions daily in the lecture hall of Tyrannus. 10 This went on for two years, so that all the Jews and Greeks who lived in the province of Asia heard the word of the Lord.

11 God did extraordinary miracles through Paul, 12 so that even handkerchiefs and aprons that had touched him were taken to the sick, and their illnesses were cured and the evil spirits left them.

13 Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, “In the name of the Jesus whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.” 14 Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this. 15 One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know about, but who are you?” 16 Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding.

17 When this became known to the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus, they were all seized with fear, and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor. 18 Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed what they had done. 19 A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly. When they calculated the value of the scrolls, the total came to fifty thousand drachmas.[c] 20 In this way the word of the Lord spread widely and grew in power.

21 After all this had happened, Paul decided[d] to go to Jerusalem, passing through Macedonia and Achaia. “After I have been there,” he said, “I must visit Rome also.” 22 He sent two of his helpers, Timothy and Erastus, to Macedonia, while he stayed in the province of Asia a little longer.
The Riot in Ephesus

23 About that time there arose a great disturbance about the Way. 24 A silversmith named Demetrius, who made silver shrines of Artemis, brought in a lot of business for the craftsmen there. 25 He called them together, along with the workers in related trades, and said: “You know, my friends, that we receive a good income from this business. 26 And you see and hear how this fellow Paul has convinced and led astray large numbers of people here in Ephesus and in practically the whole province of Asia. He says that gods made by human hands are no gods at all. 27 There is danger not only that our trade will lose its good name, but also that the temple of the great goddess Artemis will be discredited; and the goddess herself, who is worshiped throughout the province of Asia and the world, will be robbed of her divine majesty.”

28 When they heard this, they were furious and began shouting: “Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!” 29 Soon the whole city was in an uproar. The people seized Gaius and Aristarchus, Paul’s traveling companions from Macedonia, and all of them rushed into the theater together. 30 Paul wanted to appear before the crowd, but the disciples would not let him. 31 Even some of the officials of the province, friends of Paul, sent him a message begging him not to venture into the theater.

32 The assembly was in confusion: Some were shouting one thing, some another. Most of the people did not even know why they were there. 33 The Jews in the crowd pushed Alexander to the front, and they shouted instructions to him. He motioned for silence in order to make a defense before the people. 34 But when they realized he was a Jew, they all shouted in unison for about two hours: “Great is Artemis of the Ephesians!”

35 The city clerk quieted the crowd and said: “Fellow Ephesians, doesn’t all the world know that the city of Ephesus is the guardian of the temple of the great Artemis and of her image, which fell from heaven? 36 Therefore, since these facts are undeniable, you ought to calm down and not do anything rash. 37 You have brought these men here, though they have neither robbed temples nor blasphemed our goddess. 38 If, then, Demetrius and his fellow craftsmen have a grievance against anybody, the courts are open and there are proconsuls. They can press charges. 39 If there is anything further you want to bring up, it must be settled in a legal assembly. 40 As it is, we are in danger of being charged with rioting because of what happened today. In that case we would not be able to account for this commotion, since there is no reason for it.” 41 After he had said this, he dismissed the assembly.
A drachma was a silver coin worth about a day’s wages.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

This happened about a mile from my house tonight. Book burning. Harry Potter. Twilight. Anything else deemed demonic. Some say to ignore the madman who leads this congregation. But how can one be silent? What/who gets burned next? @TheTNHoller
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

From the standpoint of book burning, one of the best inventions of the digital age are e-books.
Off Topic
I read more e-books than physical books nowadays. I had to laugh at myself last night when I wondered what time it was and my eyes flicked to the top left corner of my book. Oops. Physical book. Not using my iPad.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Not surprised.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

I want the Bible banned. Have y'all read some of the stories in there? :o

Here's one: Angel comes down from Heaven to visit this guy, he's the most religious guy in town, the only one worth saving, all the other men in town are homosexuals, ick. (Narrator: It's the Bible).

The townfolk gather outside the good guy's house and demand he turns over the angel to be gang-raped. They seem nice!

Are we getting to the point where this book oughta be banned? Maybe not yet, but seriously, homosexual gang rape? I didn't know there was such a thing until I read it in the Bible.

So anyway, the religious guy can't just turn the other guy over to the mob to be repeatedly raped, his houseguest is an angel from God, for God's sake! Even if he wasn't an angel from God, is that how you treat your houseguests? Because, I mean, really ... :fingerwag:

But then he has a brilliant idea: "Hey!" he yells out to the mob. "I have two daughters here, they're both virgins, howzabout I throw them out for you to gang rape instead?"

NOW are you ready to ban this book? This asshole is offering up his own daughters to be gang-raped! This is the most religious guy in town, the one the Lord is going to save when he kills everybody else for being homosexuals!! And it gets better, because later in the book the daughters get him drunk and THEY rape HIM, while he's too drunk to resist. I didn't know that was a thing either (but a lady tried to rape a male friend of mine, when he passed out at a party, years after I read the Bible).

I am not making any of this up.

Oh man, the Bible. That book is RAUNCHY. I don't want my precious Christian children, raised in the Lord by reading the ... umm ... the ... umm ...

:think:
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “U.S. Culture and Media”