Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Windows 11

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Windows 11

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, Windows 11.

Not a big change, like Win95 or Win2000. I can hardly tell any important differences so far, except it changed all my Start button links from programs I actually use to programs Microsoft would prefer that I use. So a little bit of customization, no big, done it a million times, one more won't hurt.

No problems detected ... yet. Famous last words ...
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Re: Windows 11

Post by Foggy »

There's a new update for Windows 11, KB5010414. I installed it, and it said I needed to reboot.

I rebooted, and when it was all fired up and ready to go it said it still needed to reboot to install the new update.

And I rebooted again, and after a few tries I uninstalled the new update and they can pound sand. My computer was going to tell me it needed to be rebooted for the next fifteen years or so, and rebooting was just making it cranky.

Still love the 21st century, but it gets a little weird sometimes. :violin: :crying:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

That's runs parallel to my luck last Friday. I had to install the Java runtime environment on a WIN11 laptop to support a single customer's product series. Java installed, said it needed to reboot, click the okie dokie, and 30 seconds later my heart leapt out of my chest. The screen said BOOT SECTOR ERROR, PLEASE INSTALL OPERATING SYSTEM".

My bisquits frosted immediately.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, that's lovely, bill_g. Back in the day, the error message was "No operating system detected".

I thought I had seen them all. Then I got this stupid ThinkPad and the error messages stopped. When you boot up, it says "Press enter to interrupt normal startup" and I've never done it. I have never even looked at the BIOS setup on this thing because it has always just worked perfectly. I've never had a computer that I didn't look under the hood before. It's coming up on three years old and instead of buying a new one I extended the warranty. This is the first thing that has ever happened with it that I couldn't just fix immediately.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

I have exactly 1 complaint about Windows 11 but it was the same in Windows 10 so I just grin and bear it.

Every time there is an update, it resets my "microphone" to low quality single channel.

My "microphone" is actually a USB input from a phono preamplifier and I need it to be DVD quality stereo.

And the setting to change it back is buried so deep I need a rotor rooter to find it.

(It does get a little easier if I use God Mode).

Also, too, I still can't find the controller app for the 5G nanobots that came with the vaccinations.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Reality Check
Verified: ✅ Curmudgeon

Post by Reality Check »

I have no intention of installing Windows 11 on any of my machines. First I think I only have one PC new enough to run it because of the secure whatyamathing. Second I have heard it is actually worse on speed tests than Windows 10.

I have a really old (like 15 year old) Dell laptop that I put an SSD in a couple of years ago that I am going to try the new Chrome OS Flex on when I get back to Colorado in May. I have heard really good things about it and how well it runs on older laptops.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

keith wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:02 am I have exactly 1 complaint about Windows 11 but it was the same in Windows 10 so I just grin and bear it.

Every time there is an update, it resets my "microphone" to low quality single channel.

My "microphone" is actually a USB input from a phono preamplifier and I need it to be DVD quality stereo.

And the setting to change it back is buried so deep I need a rotor rooter to find it.

(It does get a little easier if I use God Mode).

Also, too, I still can't find the controller app for the 5G nanobots that came with the vaccinations.
Not a Windows guy but . . . I read something yesterday that the reset process may be more discoverable in a future release of Windows 11 as that is the case in a new Dev release in the Insider program. Wait a second now that I think a bit about this it may have been Speaker settings not mics. Sorry.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:32 am Oh, that's lovely, bill_g. Back in the day, the error message was "No operating system detected".

I thought I had seen them all. Then I got this stupid ThinkPad and the error messages stopped. When you boot up, it says "Press enter to interrupt normal startup" and I've never done it. I have never even looked at the BIOS setup on this thing because it has always just worked perfectly. I've never had a computer that I didn't look under the hood before. It's coming up on three years old and instead of buying a new one I extended the warranty. This is the first thing that has ever happened with it that I couldn't just fix immediately.
If your computer is 3 years old, you may not be able to install Win11. It requires a certain kind of security thing (I'm not well-versed enough in computer tech to remember what it is), and it wasn't regularly installed on computers until Windows announced it was going to be necessary, IIUC. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware thing, and I know my husband had to get a new computer because his computer was too old to be able to upgrade (his motherboard was about 7 years old with other parts of varying ages.) You might look into that to see if that's the problem.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh, I have Windows 11 on this laptop, three years old though it be. It came on Christmas Day, and I didn't even install it myself, it was auto-installed by Microsoft, but I like it.

I did spend a few bux for a thing that gives me exactly the Start menu I like, called Start11. I also use their Fences product, they're pretty good.

And my machine isn't nagging me to re-install the update I gave up on, so maybe they'll replace it with something that works.
keith

Post by keith »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 10:16 am
Foggy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:32 am Oh, that's lovely, bill_g. Back in the day, the error message was "No operating system detected".

If your computer is 3 years old, you may not be able to install Win11. It requires a certain kind of security thing (I'm not well-versed enough in computer tech to remember what it is), and it wasn't regularly installed on computers until Windows announced it was going to be necessary, IIUC. I'm pretty sure it's a hardware thing, and I know my husband had to get a new computer because his computer was too old to be able to upgrade (his motherboard was about 7 years old with other parts of varying ages.) You might look into that to see if that's the problem.
Im not at my desktop at the moment, and I cant remember the exact terms.

It used to be that this newly required security feature was a physical addon chip. Every motherboard supported the chip, but every manufacturer had their own chip. Nowadays the support is built in to the motherboard and enabled thru a BIOS setting.

The setting was required in Windows 10, so it isn't new, but it wasn't enforced until W11. This was to give manufacturers time to repopulate the worlds fleet of computers fairly naturally.

BUT, there also seems to be something in the CPU, as W11 wont run on older CPUs either. I suspect this isnt the same security issue, but maybe.

Somewhere in the technology thread I posted a note about how to enable the BIOS to make Win11 happy, but I'm not sure I was aware of the new CPU requirement then.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Windows 11

Post by northland10 »

Because I was apparently feeling reckless this morning, I let Windows stop annoying me by suggesting a Windows 11 install and actually let it go ahead and do it. The good news is all my midi/audio devices (A PreSonus digital audio interface and a Yamaha keyboard using a USB for midi) worked fine, as did my Hauptwerk organ software. Hauptwerk seemed to load slightly faster and had fewer issues with popping, even though I had not set the priority for the software to Realtime in the task manager (I will in the future but was curious).

The biggest issue was that the icons in the taskbar defaulted to center. It took me a few seconds to figure out how to move it to left. I suppose center might make sense but since I work on a windows 10 machine during the day, it's best not to confuse too much.
101010 :towel:
John Thomas8

Windows 11

Post by John Thomas8 »

northland10 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:58 pm Because I was apparently feeling reckless this morning, I let Windows stop annoying me by suggesting a Windows 11 install and actually let it go ahead and do it. The good news is all my midi/audio devices (A PreSonus digital audio interface and a Yamaha keyboard using a USB for midi) worked fine, as did my Hauptwerk organ software. Hauptwerk seemed to load slightly faster and had fewer issues with popping, even though I had not set the priority for the software to Realtime in the task manager (I will in the future but was curious).

The biggest issue was that the icons in the taskbar defaulted to center. It took me a few seconds to figure out how to move it to left. I suppose center might make sense but since I work on a windows 10 machine during the day, it's best not to confuse too much.
I'm still contemplating this. It's gonna have to happen, I just don't wanna. Giggle.
keith

Windows 11

Post by keith »

northland10 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:58 pm Because I was apparently feeling reckless this morning, I let Windows stop annoying me by suggesting a Windows 11 install and actually let it go ahead and do it. The good news is all my midi/audio devices (A PreSonus digital audio interface and a Yamaha keyboard using a USB for midi) worked fine, as did my Hauptwerk organ software. Hauptwerk seemed to load slightly faster and had fewer issues with popping, even though I had not set the priority for the software to Realtime in the task manager (I will in the future but was curious).

Also make sure your USB 'microphone' inputs are set to the stereo mode you require. Mine 'used to' reset it back to monaural voice mode everytime the operating system coughed. I haven't noticed it happening lately, but I'll probably find the last 5 albums I digitized have come out in mono.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Windows 11

Post by Foggy »

I paid a small amount for a little app called Start11 from Stardock. I can choose a Win7, Win10, or Win11 start button, and a bunch of other good options. I use their Fences app, too also.

https://www.stardock.com/products/
humblescribe
Verified:

Windows 11

Post by humblescribe »

I've always been an "Ocean's Eleven" fan myself.

:mrgreen:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Delarin
Verified: ❌ This is not the Delarin you're looking for.

Windows 11

Post by Delarin »

Foggy wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:13 am There's a new update for Windows 11, KB5010414. I installed it, and it said I needed to reboot.
This is something I've experienced often, not only with OS upgrades but also first time setup on newly purchased machines.

It is my understanding that when you do your upgrade or set up, you get whatever the most recent updates were at the time the installer was released. If there have been numerous changes to the updates since that time, they can't always be installed at once. This may have been obvious to you, if so, I apologize :bag:

But take a look at KB5010414, released 2/15/2022:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.co ... =KB5010414

For x64 based systems: (click the above link, then Package Details)

This update has been replaced by the following updates:
► Show Spoiler
If I am right, then it means that the longer you wait once Windows tells you the Win11 is ready for installation, the more times you will have to reboot once you do upgrade.

Personally, I intend to stay with Win10 until either (a) Microsoft installs W11 without my consent or (b) my programs stop running because Win10 is no longer supported by them.
:resist:
keith

Windows 11

Post by keith »

You do you, but...

I have had zero problems with W11 (except for the USB 'microphone' input settings that had the same issue in W10, only worse), and I've had it installed from very early on in availability. I too loved W10, but W11 is better. Period.

I think updates have made me reboot maybe 4 times. And that is about a 3 minute irritation.

I strongly recommend it if your motherboard supports it, but as always 'your mileage may vary'.

I don't have devices that don't work under W11 and have not found any software that doesn't work (well I am having issues with Firebird, but that is my stupidity, nothing to do with Windows).
Foggy
Dick Tater

Windows 11

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I've been very happy with W11.
MN-Skeptic

Windows 11

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Since I'm just home by myself on Thanksgiving, I'm going to spend the day getting my new Windows 11 laptop set up with the programs I use and transfer my data to it. If I don't make a conscious effort to start using my new laptop, I'll just keep using my 9-year old Windows 8.1 laptop and there are frustrating minor issues with it so it is time to change. I have the feeling that Microsoft may have made a few changes in the past 9 years. :lol:
keith

Windows 11

Post by keith »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:49 pm Since I'm just home by myself on Thanksgiving, I'm going to spend the day getting my new Windows 11 laptop set up with the programs I use and transfer my data to it. If I don't make a conscious effort to start using my new laptop, I'll just keep using my 9-year old Windows 8.1 laptop and there are frustrating minor issues with it so it is time to change. I have the feeling that Microsoft may have made a few changes in the past 9 years. :lol:
I recommend keeping a log of every thing you do as you do it. List each utility and app as you install it, along with your config settings, accounts created, reaccessed, etc.
MN-Skeptic

Windows 11

Post by MN-Skeptic »

keith wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:15 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:49 pm Since I'm just home by myself on Thanksgiving, I'm going to spend the day getting my new Windows 11 laptop set up with the programs I use and transfer my data to it. If I don't make a conscious effort to start using my new laptop, I'll just keep using my 9-year old Windows 8.1 laptop and there are frustrating minor issues with it so it is time to change. I have the feeling that Microsoft may have made a few changes in the past 9 years. :lol:
I recommend keeping a log of every thing you do as you do it. List each utility and app as you install it, along with your config settings, accounts created, reaccessed, etc.
Thanks. Good idea. It's amazing how many programs I've loaded on this 9-year old laptop but that I don't use. A lot of times you try several programs looking for the one that meets your needs and the rejected programs never get deleted.
Reality Check

Windows 11

Post by Reality Check »

I only have a late 2017 HP desktop that should be eligible for the Windows 11 upgrade. When I check it shows I have an inadequate CPU. It is a core i5-7400 3GHz so it should be eligible. I have secure boot and UEFI enabled. Any ideas?
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Windows 11

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Reality Check wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:54 am I only have a late 2017 HP desktop that should be eligible for the Windows 11 upgrade. When I check it shows I have an inadequate CPU. It is a core i5-7400 3GHz so it should be eligible. I have secure boot and UEFI enabled. Any ideas?
Windows 11 also requires TPM 2.0 support which is probably what's missing. I've never looked to see if there's a way to add that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

ETA: I'm kind of guessing at this but did a little more looking and it looks like it might work. Look for a BIOS option for PTT or Platform Trust Technology and make sure that's enabled. It may not pass the update check in Windows but you may be able to pull the image directly from MS and install via a USB drive. Maybe.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Reality Check

Windows 11

Post by Reality Check »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:42 am Windows 11 also requires TPM 2.0 support which is probably what's missing. I've never looked to see if there's a way to add that.
Thanks, it looks like TPM is enabled but I do not see anything about TPM 2.0. I will do some more research.
Reality Check

Windows 11

Post by Reality Check »

Looks like TPM 2.0 is turned on. I ran TPM.msc , which one site suggested to do to check.
TPM.jpg
TPM.jpg (193.52 KiB) Viewed 956 times

Return to “Computers and Internet”