Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Cats!

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: Cats!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:dance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

When we lived in the Monrovia foothills, we got critters all the time. Once when I was in the living room talking on the phone a blue belly lizard came racing across the floor followed by a garter snake. They came in under the front door which had a gap (they never finished the foundation!! Half the house was sitting on dirt!!) A tarantula once wandered in and also too a tree frog which drove us mad with his peeps. When we found him we put him in a watering can on the front porch where he happily lived out his life.

One morning I came into the kitchen to find one of the cats sitting on the counter next to the sink, hissing. I shooed her off. Later as I was doing the dishes the blob of oatmeal started to wiggle. I scooped it up with my bare hands and plopped it into a bowl. A tiny scorpion, the deadliest kind here, crawled out and tried to escape. I captured him in a jar and we took him to school that morning for show and tell. :lol:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Luna sez this is very cool. Goes for 30 minutes at a time, no batteries and USB charge. A bit spendy, but she's having a lot of fun with it, even when she does tip it over. Red dots rule for this girl.

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Tricksy says “O, hai. I iz floofball.”
32942E03-390B-4C18-8B58-44753ED834D2.jpeg
32942E03-390B-4C18-8B58-44753ED834D2.jpeg (117.08 KiB) Viewed 1147 times
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

:lovestruck:
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

:lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

WTF!? It got up to 95 degrees here in Minnesota yesterday afternoon!

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

A story about those cats in today's StarTribune -

Authorities, Humane Society rescue 47 cats from hot vehicle at rest area in Harris, Minn.
It is believed the cats had been living in the vehicle with their owner for quite some time and had not been subjected to any malicious treatment, said Humane Society Investigator Ashley Pudas.

"He loved those cats and had a name for every one of them," Pudas said. "Those were his babies."

Pudas said the man had been evicted from his home and was making the best of a "horrible situation."

"He had nowhere to go and he didn't want to leave the animals behind," she said.

The cats' owner was assessed at the scene by paramedics and provided with medical resources, the Humane Society said.

Pudas assured the man the felines would be well cared for.
So... mostly just a sad story.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Nala the cat now owns a custom tailored camper van, break from bicycling

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The biopsy of the nodule taken from Nala's foot turned out to show it was benign. Dean got a call from the vet in the last couple of days and when he returned the call they gave him the good news! So, the van and Nala are ready to go on a trip. Dean uploaded a few videos showing the progress of the van RTH posted about above, it's really nice. He did a great job attaching a cat tree for Nala to use - he removed the passenger seat from the van and installed her tree exactly where it should be, in the navigator's space. :lol:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer

Onward, Navigator Nala!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

First night out in the Scotish country side

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If anyone knows a cat savvy person(s) who might like to adopt these two, please send link. Olive and Joshua were siblings adopted together after they graduated from Foster Dad John's Critter Room - litter name was The Saplings, IIRC they were found sheltered in a tree, hence the tree themed names. Owner is having health issues and had to surrender them (gawd, that must be hard). I toyed with the idea and even seeing if Luna and I could meet and greet, but the shelter posting says no other pets.

Purrfect Pals only adopts to WA State residents, so if you know someone...

https://www.petfinder.com/cat/olive-554 ... pals-wa70/
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

:lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

Can I move to Washington and hide Toolie so I can adopt these beauties? :lol:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:32 pm If anyone knows a cat savvy person(s) who might like to adopt these two, please send link. Olive and Joshua were siblings adopted together after they graduated from Foster Dad John's Critter Room - litter name was The Saplings, IIRC they were found sheltered in a tree, hence the tree themed names. Owner is having health issues and had to surrender them (gawd, that must be hard). I toyed with the idea and even seeing if Luna and I could meet and greet, but the shelter posting says no other pets.

And in case anyone IS interested, they are located in the RENTON Petsmart, not up in Arlington. They need a quiet adult home (check), without other animals (darn, I have four cats already).
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:52 am
Kendra wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:32 pm If anyone knows a cat savvy person(s) who might like to adopt these two, please send link. Olive and Joshua were siblings adopted together after they graduated from Foster Dad John's Critter Room - litter name was The Saplings, IIRC they were found sheltered in a tree, hence the tree themed names. Owner is having health issues and had to surrender them (gawd, that must be hard). I toyed with the idea and even seeing if Luna and I could meet and greet, but the shelter posting says no other pets.

And in case anyone IS interested, they are located in the RENTON Petsmart, not up in Arlington. They need a quiet adult home (check), without other animals (darn, I have four cats already).
Thanks for that, Renton's an easy drive, especially for those in the south end of Seattle area.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Thanks for that, Renton's an easy drive, especially for those in the south end of Seattle area.
Yeah, I looked at 'Arlington' and said 'nope', but then I clicked on their stories and realized that they are not that far from me if they are actually in Renton. So I tagged a few people I know, even though I can't offer them a home.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:18 pm
Yeah, I looked at 'Arlington' and said 'nope', but then I clicked on their stories and realized that they are not that far from me if they are actually in Renton. So I tagged a few people I know, even though I can't offer them a home.
Thank you for sharing it :bighug:

Hard enough to lose the only home one has known, but to go to a shelter must be scary and stressful. My poor now-deceased Starla spent way too long at the adoption room at Petsmart, boy was she happy to have a loving home.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Oh my, kitten haz a temper. Sound on.

Tiredretiredlawyer

MINE!!!!
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.treehugger.com/understandin ... ol-5498916
Understanding Catnip Might Help With Mosquito Control
When cats roll in and chew the plant, it releases more pest-repelling compounds

A new study from researchers in Japan showed that when cats damage catnip by rolling around in it and chewing on it, the plant releases higher amounts of the compounds that protect them against mosquitoes and other pests. So enjoying the intoxicating plants also have protective properties.1

“I am interested in the instinctive behavior of animals, especially companion animals, for example, the behavior elicited by chemicals such as pheromones,” lead author Masao Miyazaki, an animal behavior researcher at Iwate University in Japan, tells Treehugger.

The instinctual response to catnip and silver vine is induced by plant metabolites (substances produced during metabolism), Miyazaki says. Catnip and silver vine leaves contain the compounds nepetalactol and nepetalactone, which protect the plants from pests.2

“However, nobody knew why cats respond to these plants and why only felids do the response,” he says. “To answer the questions, we started to study the plant-induced response in cats and other felids.”

“A most important point is that our research will be of interest to the public,” Miyazaki says. “The other point is that our findings will be useful to develop mosquito repellents that are derived from natural compounds.”
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:38 pm https://www.treehugger.com/understandin ... ol-5498916
Understanding Catnip Might Help With Mosquito Control
:snippity:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YAGibhG9kuSdy9fTA
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

:rotflmao:

Return to “General Stuff”