Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Cats!

Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Cats!

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:41 am :snippity:

He's in a better place now, I suspect.
The Elysian Catnip Fields...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Phoenix520
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Phoenix520 »

Kris, i don’t mind Rocky, it’s apt, but I wouldn’t mind hearing suggestions.

Got any ideas? Famous familiars in history? That’s how I think of them.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Cats!

Post by Foggy »

Stony :mrgreen:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Volkonski »

:roll:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:39 pm Kris, i don’t mind Rocky, it’s apt, but I wouldn’t mind hearing suggestions.

Oh, cool! I always thought of my cats as familiar (they were names Acyl and Piper), but even though any animal can be a familiar, I've never thought of my dogs that way :)

Rocky's not a bad name, I just know a lot of people prefer giving their pet a name they chose. As for names for familiars, here are a few classics I've heard :mrgreen:

Grimalkin, though it's usually used for female cats
Pyewackett
Shadow
Nyx
Crookshanks (yeah, it's from Harry Potter - Hermionie's cat - but it's gotten fairly popular)
roadscholar

Cats!

Post by roadscholar »

I knew one named “Caliban.”
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

roadscholar wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:57 pm I knew one named “Caliban.”
That's a nice name!

In a couple books I've read about the Arthurian Legends, that was cited as the original name of Excalibur.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Phoenix520 »

I like Caliban. Too many syllables? Calvin .
RVInit

Cats!

Post by RVInit »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:39 pm Kris, i don’t mind Rocky, it’s apt, but I wouldn’t mind hearing suggestions.

My younger sister had a male cat named Rock (her then boygriend named him after "The Rock"". Before they got him neutered he managed to get a female cat pregnant. My sister felt responsible for allowing her cat outside before being neutered that she took responsibility for finding homes for all the kittens. Rock was only 4 or 5 months old when he fathered those kittens. One of them was a female who was the spitting image of Rock. So, she named her Rocksy. She wanted thta oen to go to the best home possible so she would hide her whenever someone came over to see the kittens. She kept asking me if I would take Rocksy. I told her I would try it out. I was a pretty serious "dog person" at the time, but I reluctantly agreed to take Rocksy.

Some of you may remember I used to talk about my beloved Poohie before she passed away at the age of 18. Yep, Poohie was originally named Rocksy. Even though I changed her name when she was 12 weeks old, when I got her, I know dogs and cats can easily understand a new name after you use it a few times. I didn't change Tulip's name, but that's mainly because she was such a scared and traumatized cat, I couldn't even see her personality for a long time after I got her. So, I had already been softly calling her the name they gave her at the shelter, so it just stuck.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Phoenix520 »

821EBA92-A9EF-4701-89E2-17363E0DE5D9.jpeg
821EBA92-A9EF-4701-89E2-17363E0DE5D9.jpeg (25.82 KiB) Viewed 624 times
Caliban, methinks. Not Rocky. But Ima waitnsee. ETA His Maine Coon floofiness is just getting started. I’ll post more pics over the next few days, as he comes out of his hidey hole. Good start: he slow-blinked me.

He’s currently hiding in the spare room. I’m setting his things up in there for now. When all the critters are comfy and curious I’ll introduce.

Two ENORMOUS coyotes in the front yard early this morning. Caliban -all cats- will be indoor cats until further notice.

Also, four curly-coated labs came bouncing over to play with the lab across the street at the same time. Fred must know the owner cuz she showed up minutes later. One of them caught coyote scent as they were stuffing them into her car and they all took off after it.

Wild times in the ‘hood. Yesterday a different neighbor ran over our plumber’s dog and I spent the entire day -and 2k - at the emergency vet. Nothing broken, just road rash and bruises, miraculously.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Cats!

Post by AndyinPA »

Very cute cat! Congrats!

Yikes, on the coyotes.

And sorry about the dog (and the vet bill; also yikes).
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Phoenix520 »

The vet bills. I’m of two minds. 1) It is what it is. You need their service when you need it, they saved your dog/cat/ gerbil. X-rays are expensive. 2) When your heart is in your throat, blood is pounding in your ears, and you can’t stop crying, you’ll pay anything. And they know it.
RVInit

Cats!

Post by RVInit »

Yay Caliban. He’s a beauty.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:16 pm 821EBA92-A9EF-4701-89E2-17363E0DE5D9.jpeg

Caliban, methinks. Not Rocky. But Ima waitnsee. ETA His Maine Coon floofiness is just getting started. I’ll post more pics over the next few days, as he comes out of his hidey hole. Good start: he slow-blinked me.
Good choice! It has a realness to it that seems appropriate :)
He’s currently hiding in the spare room. I’m setting his things up in there for now. When all the critters are comfy and curious I’ll introduce.
Here's hoping it goes well
Two ENORMOUS coyotes in the front yard early this morning. Caliban -all cats- will be indoor cats until further notice.
:eek:
Wild times in the ‘hood. Yesterday a different neighbor ran over our plumber’s dog and I spent the entire day -and 2k - at the emergency vet. Nothing broken, just road rash and bruises, miraculously.
"Wild" sounds about right especially with thr coyotes. That's just scary. I'm glad your plumber's dog is ok!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:26 pm The vet bills. I’m of two minds. 1) It is what it is. You need their service when you need it, they saved your dog/cat/ gerbil. X-rays are expensive. 2) When your heart is in your throat, blood is pounding in your ears, and you can’t stop crying, you’ll pay anything. And they know it.
Truth.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Cats!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

CALIBAN!!!!!! :groupdance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Cats!

Post by Kendra »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:23 pm
Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:26 pm The vet bills. I’m of two minds. 1) It is what it is. You need their service when you need it, they saved your dog/cat/ gerbil. X-rays are expensive. 2) When your heart is in your throat, blood is pounding in your ears, and you can’t stop crying, you’ll pay anything. And they know it.
Truth.
Yes. I can't tell you how grateful for the one vet who didn't toe that line and laid it out and said there was no hope for kitty. After about $1200 the other vets at the clinic talked me in to.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 7:27 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:23 pm
Truth.
Yes. I can't tell you how grateful for the one vet who didn't toe that line and laid it out and said there was no hope for kitty. After about $1200 the other vets at the clinic talked me in to.
We have an emergency vet in our area who's very good about that. Twice we've had to take a dog to him that was just very suddenly in very bad shape. He gave us treatment options, but was upfront about what the treatment would and would not do, a realistic prognosis for how much more time we might gain and what life after treatment would probably be like - pain levels and restrictions while recovering and such. In both cases, it was pretty that treatment wouldn't be in the dogs best interest. I really appreciated his forthrightness because it made such a tough decision much easier.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Cats!

Post by RTH10260 »

CALIBAN :?:

:o

sugar magnolia

Cats!

Post by sugar magnolia »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:16 pm 821EBA92-A9EF-4701-89E2-17363E0DE5D9.jpeg

Also, four curly-coated labs came bouncing over to play with the lab across the street at the same time. Fred must know the owner cuz she showed up minutes later. One of them caught coyote scent as they were stuffing them into her car and they all took off after it.

He has 4 eyes!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Phoenix520 »

:cantlook: I can’t unsee that! Four!
June bug

Cats!

Post by June bug »

Four eyes or not, he’s gorgeous!!
Phoenix520
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Phoenix520 »

Introductions are going well.
49159953-1632-4206-9829-5705C36A033C.jpeg
49159953-1632-4206-9829-5705C36A033C.jpeg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Cats!

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:00 pm Introductions are going well.
Good to hear!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Cats!

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hooray!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”