USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

Somerset

Re: USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

Post by Somerset »

bob wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:33 pm
Gregg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:30 pm
If he gets remanded for a new trial, one that would take place after a new Justice Department would be overseeing it, a new President would be less inclined to pardon him after it and one that might cost him $100,000s in new legal fees, I think I could bring myself to live with that.
The concern is there won't be a new trial: the newly assigned AUSA toady doesn't need to be told to dismiss the case.
Exactly.

Does jeopardy attach in that case? I don't expect that even a Democratic AG would want to re-open this case, but would it even be possible?

bob

Re: USA v Roger J. Stone, Jr., USDC-DC, Obstruction, False Statements, Witness Tampering

Post by bob »

Somerset wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:06 pm
Does jeopardy attach in that case? I don't expect that even a Democratic AG would want to re-open this case, but would it even be possible?
Technically, jeopardy attached when the judge swore the jury in.

But a retrial following dismissal (even if after a new-trial motion was granted) wouldn't be double jeopardy because this trial still isn't final.

But if all that happened, and a future DOJ sought to try Stone again, a vindictive-prosecution motion would be the first thing filed.
Imagex6 Imagex2 Imagex4 Imagex2

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

June bug wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:42 pm
:snippity:
On CNN, I was shocked to hear Jeffrey Toobin praise Barr. Susan Hennessey wasn't buying it though. Like me she said it's theater, that he's facing a revolt within his Justice Department and is trying to tamp it down by making noises about integrity. And, like me, she thinks if any real pushback comes from Trump it's just more theater.
I saw part of that interview as well. I don't buy it for one second. Barr has no credibility with me. I will never believe a word he says unless there is corroborating evidence from a credible source. But his word alone? :nope:
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

How does Bill Barr say the word integrity without bursting into flames?
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

realist

Post by realist »

What I believe Barr is really saying is he wishes Trump would shut up with the tweeting that exposes what’s really going on. It makes it hard(er) for him to do Trump’s bidding if everyone knows that’s exactly what he’s doing, confirmed by Trump’s tweets and then Barr’s actions.
ImageX 4 ImageX36

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Gregg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:18 pm
How does Bill Barr say the word integrity without bursting into flames?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
How does Trump get away with the plethora of BS he spews? He's still intact, aside from the orange glow.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

realist wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:27 pm
What I believe Barr is really saying is he wishes Trump would shut up with the tweeting that exposes what’s really going on. It makes it hard(er) for him to do Trump’s bidding if everyone knows that’s exactly what he’s doing, confirmed by Trump’s tweets and then Barr’s actions.
:yeah:
My first thought was he wants Trump to STFU. Barr can grant his wishes but the Tweets leave the Oval Office influence/handprints on all these moves.

Trump must to be the worst legal client in history. Which is actually good for those opposing his kingship..
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Like I said when the interview broke a few hours ago, a rather obvious set up between Barr and Trump, a/k/a total bullshit.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

realist wrote:
:winner:
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

TexasFilly wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm
Like I said when the interview broke a few hours ago, a rather obvious set up between Barr and Trump, a/k/a total bullshit.
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

Northland10

Post by Northland10 »

June bug wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:42 pm
Barr's out with a t.v. interview where he criticizes Trump for some of his tweets, saying they undermine his ability to do his job.
  • Claims he won't be bullied.
Unless POTUS is really limber, it's hard to bully somebody snogging your sphincter.
North-land: of the family 10

UCC 1-106 Plural is Singular, Singular is Plural.

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

RVInit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Definitely that. :doh:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Gregg

Post by Gregg »

realist wrote:
I am beginning to think that Barr is actually working directly for Alpha Bank and not Trump. Google it.

Much like the "Indiana Jones is just Han Solo's Carbonite Dream" * theory its just nuts but the deeper you dig the more compelling it gets.

*Google that one, too.
Honorary Commander, 699th Airborne Assault Dachshund Regiment
Deadly Sausage Dogs from the Sky

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

ABBC3_OFFTOPIC
Gregg wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 pm
realist wrote:

Much like the "Indiana Jones is just Han Solo's Carbonite Dream" * theory its just nuts but the deeper you dig the more compelling it gets.

*Google that one, too.
What a Comicon getup THAT would be.

I'm on it.
Hubs (and me) at the Rockabilly Fest
ImageImageImage x4

GreatGrey

Post by GreatGrey »

I am not "someone upthread".
Trump needs to be smashed into some kind of inedible orange pâté.

bob

Post by bob »

I presume it is sealed because it identifies at least one juror by name.

(Just because the foreperson voluntarily identified herself does not relieve the litigants of their duty to honor juror privacy.)

tek

Post by tek »

is it something like "the jurors were poopyheads so unfair!" ?
There's no way back
from there to here

Sugar Magnolia

Post by Sugar Magnolia »

bob wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:14 pm
I presume it is sealed because it identifies at least one juror by name.

(Just because the foreperson voluntarily identified herself does not relieve the litigants of their duty to honor juror privacy.)
The next tweet.
Brad Heath‏Verified account @bradheath
Based on the docket numbers, this would be in addition to the motion Stone's lawyers had previously filed seeking a new trial and raising objections to particular jurors. Judge Jackson denied that motion on Wednesday.
1:58 PM - 14 Feb 2020

bob

Post by bob »

tek wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:57 pm
is it something like "the jurors were poopyheads so unfair!" ?
More like at least one juror committed misconduct, perhaps by commenting on the trial/Stone while a juror or concealing information during voir dire.

Not strong arguments, but not frivolous either.

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

It may give prosecution an excuse to request a retrial.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

NotaPerson

Post by NotaPerson »

AndyinPA wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:07 pm
RVInit wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm
TexasFilly wrote:
Definitely that. :doh:

If so, somebody should have sent a memo to Lou Dobbs. Probably Tom Fitton too. :lol:

His rant begins around 4:12. He wants to know where the indictments are!

:shootin:
Am I being detained?

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Everyone's in the loop.

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

TexasFilly wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:49 pm
Everyone's in the loop.
Everyone.

bob

Post by bob »

ZekeB wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:26 pm
It may give prosecution an excuse to request a retrial.
Even worse: It may give the prosecution an excuse to dismiss (and not retry).

Return to “Courts, Law, and Legal Issues”