Donald J. Trump v. Letitia James

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Withdrawn.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:
bob

Post by bob »

Another reason for sanctions: deterrence.
Image ImageImage
Jim

Post by Jim »

bob wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:30 am Another reason for sanctions: deterrence.
So do you think the over $900,000 in sanctions handed down in the Clinton suit got this lawyer's attention?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Jim wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:39 am
So do you think the over $900,000 in sanctions handed down in the Clinton suit got this lawyer's attention?
Since it was specifically mentioned by Judge Middlebrooks in his ruling under the heading of a pattern of frivolous complaints, I’d say the likelihood is rather high.

ETA: And it landed in front of Judge Middlebrooks when James removed it to federal court.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

I read that the sanctions were jointly against both the OSG and Habba. I assume that that means that they are joint and severaly liable. How much you wanna bet that he tries to stick her with the entire $900k bill.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

IMG_0959.JPG
IMG_0959.JPG (59.63 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Jim

Post by Jim »

noblepa wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 pm How much you wanna bet that he tries to stick her with the entire $900k bill.
How much you wanna bet his lawyer in this case is thinking the same thing and wants nothing more to do with Trump? :rotflmao:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

noblepa wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 pm
I read that the sanctions were jointly against both the OSG and Habba. I assume that that means that they are joint and severaly liable. How much you wanna bet that he tries to stick her with the entire $900k bill.
Definitely but as I said earlier I doubt she has that kind of money, unless she's grifting.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Is Habba also representing him in the E. Jean Carroll matters? That could be a sticky wicket.

What are the chances that tfg tells Habba that he'll pay the sanction but her representation in the Carroll lawsuits will be pro bono, as any future legal services will be?

When you sell your soul, you will always have a debt to pay.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:05 pm Is Habba also representing him in the E. Jean Carroll matters? That could be a sticky wicket.

What are the chances that tfg tells Habba that he'll pay the sanction but her representation in the Carroll lawsuits will be pro bono, as any future legal services will be?

When you sell your soul, you will always have a debt to pay.
I believe she has some role, IIRC Habba was the one in the deposition who corrected him on E Jean and not a photo of Marla Maples.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Habba has a very active role in the E. Jean Carroll actions, and in fact I believe that she's lead counsel. She appeared for Trump at the argument before the D.C. Court of Appeals, on the referral from the federal D.C. Circuit concerning scope of employment under D.C. law. I assume that there are better lawyers helping her with the papers, including lawyers who are working in the background, but she is very much the public face of Trump's defense in this litigation.

However, as Bob has noted, Trump has oceans of OPM to fund his abusive litigation, and I assume that the sanctions judgment will be paid that way.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Ah, an optimist.

I assume that the sanctions will never be paid, due to appeals and other methods of stalling and evading accountability. They might possibly collect some pocket change from Habba the Butt.

Edit: I know, I know, Habba the Butt, it came to me in a dream, just like Lauren Bonobo. :oopsy: I tell my brainbone to behave, but does it listen? :nope:

I'ma go stand in the corner now. :blackeye:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

noblepa wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 pm
I thought there were rumours that she was going to be the 4th Mrs. Former Guy. I guess Melania is stuck with him a bit longer. :lol: :lol:
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:19 am Ah, an optimist.

I assume that the sanctions will never be paid, due to appeals and other methods of stalling and evading accountability. They might possibly collect some pocket change from Habba the Butt.

Edit: I know, I know, Habba the Butt, it came to me in a dream, just like Lauren Bonobo. :oopsy: I tell my brainbone to behave, but does it listen? :nope:

I'ma go stand in the corner now. :blackeye:
Now you've done it... (Pic might be NSFW)

► Show Spoiler
Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Now YOU have to go stand in the corner, Mister. :fingerwag:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Meanwhile, back in the land of No More Threadjacking Even If The Stupid Rooster Started It :oopsy: it will be interesting to see if voluntarily dismissing the case is going to mean no sanctions at all for filing it. Or maybe inspires the judge to impose lower amounts of sanctions.

I mean, in the most obvious interpretation, it's an admission that the case was every bit as stupid and offensive as the one against Ms. Clinton and everyone else. I don't know how they could even oppose a motion for sanctions on the merits.

Dismissing the case is a big :oopsy: :blackeye:

And the offense is filing it. You can't unring a bell. Dismissing it doesn't undo the damage. Not that they had a lot of choice in the matter.

But I don't know if any of the defendants had to spend any money on it. It looks like the amounts in the Clinton case are based on the cost of defending the case, but this one is newer.

I would pay serious money for a transcript of the conversation between Trump and his attorneys before they dismissed the case. That must have been really, really exciting for everyone involved. :mrgreen:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The Attorney General's lawyers have already done a substantial amount of work on the case. They filed a notice of removal, which can involve much more work than you might think, plus it has to be done fast and right. There is remarkably little scope for fixing mistakes after the 30-day deadline has passed. They opposed Trump's motion for "emergency injunctive relief," and they filed a comprehensive motion to dismiss.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Breaking:

Donald Trump WITHDRAWS his second case against
@NewYorkStateAG
over her fraud probe — in this case, a pending Second Circuit appeal.

Some background on the first withdrawn lawsuit against James, in Florida,
@LawCrimeNews
https://lawandcrime.com/trump/donald-tr ... ostpopular
much ado

Post by much ado »

OMG! Has Trump had his "Come to Jesus" moment? Or perhaps his lawyers forced him into this?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

much ado wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:28 pm OMG! Has Trump had his "Come to Jesus" moment? Or perhaps his lawyers forced him into this?
He's running scared.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

They are probably all telling him $3M retainer up front now.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Maybe donors don't like to pay the other side's fees and costs. :mrgreen:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

And withdrawn with prejudice, even.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
much ado

Post by much ado »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:30 pm
much ado wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:28 pm OMG! Has Trump had his "Come to Jesus" moment? Or perhaps his lawyers forced him into this?
He's running scared.
Mr. Trump, meet Reality.
Reality, meet Mr. Trump.
I'll leave you alone now.
You two have a lot to catch up on.

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”