Donald J. Trump v. Letitia James

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
sad-cafe

Re: Donald J. Trump v. Letitia James

Post by sad-cafe »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:33 pm Somebunny is skeered and unbalanced.
such dignity for a pathetic loser in his 70s
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

If a middle school kid screamed that at his teacher, I'd cringe with embarrassment and tell him to grow up. And you know his enablers in congress are cringing with embarrassment privately.

Well, not the J6 11, but do we still count them? I'm thinking Graham, McConnell, McCarthy and the like.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:00 pm
bob wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:57 pm My WAG is it is possible, but only under the rarest of circumstances.* Like if an obviously racist police officer was using the power of the state to harass innocent people of color.

* Rare now; 60 years ago abuses of police power against people of color was not uncommon.
I have heard that Orange is the new Black.
I see what you did there ;)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I don't know this source and am not certain this is true... But I bet it is.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
bob

Post by bob »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:32 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:20 am
It's a stalling tactic, and for some meant as intimidation through financial attrition.
I doubt he’s going to bankrupt the state of New York or slow them down in anyway.

ETA: I think it’s more of a publicity stunt to make his base feel like he’s being harassed, and the judiciary is helping the state to do that.
I don't think it is a stalling tactic because the judge isn't going to grant an injunction in this case. So the investigation will continue.

The lawsuit is a combination of a grift and an attempt to run up the costs of investigation. The costs won't deter the state, but the grift will rake in money.
Image ImageImage
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

bob wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:03 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:32 am
bill_g wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:20 am
It's a stalling tactic, and for some meant as intimidation through financial attrition.
I doubt he’s going to bankrupt the state of New York or slow them down in anyway.

ETA: I think it’s more of a publicity stunt to make his base feel like he’s being harassed, and the judiciary is helping the state to do that.
I don't think it is a stalling tactic because the judge isn't going to grant an injunction in this case. So the investigation will continue.

The lawsuit is a combination of a grift and an attempt to run up the costs of investigation. The costs won't deter the state, but the grift will rake in money.
Will it really cost the state very much? It seems like it should only take less than an hour for a lawyer to draft a motion to dismiss, based on Younger, maybe a couple of hours to draft a response to Trump's response to the MTD, and then sit back and wait for the Federal judge to grant the MTD.

There is not going to be a long, drawn-out trial on TFG's attempt to derail the investigation. It seems like a Hail Mary, at best. More likely, its just fodder for the grift mill.
woodworker

Post by woodworker »

I suspect/am certain he was pushing his lawyers to throw everything they can think of at James, et al, in an attempt to stall/derail all of the investigations and some "bright" lawyer suggested this to him, e.g., Matt Gaetz or Devin Nunes, and he insisted that they file it. Hope it gets sanctioned.
notorial dissent

Post by notorial dissent »

I am hoping they will take some time and draft a proper motion for sanctions though.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Jonathan Lemire
@JonLemire
·
13m
NEW YORK (AP) — New York attorney general subpoenas former President Donald Trump, two eldest children in probe of the family's business.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

(I could not find any further references at this time)

The case was moved to Federal Court.

Then:
Trump SLAMMED as VEXATIOUS LITIGANT by Federal Judge

MeidasTouch
26 Dec 2022

Federal Judge Donald Middlebrooks issued an Order this week denying Trump’s so-called emergency injunction request and calling Trump out as a vexatious litigant.
re video the judge recommends the lawyers to reconsider their filing.

bob

Post by bob »

Federal Judge Donald Middlebrooks issued an Order this week denying Trump’s so-called emergency injunction request and calling Trump out as a vexatious litigant.
This isn't quite accurate.

The judge did describe the suit as vexatious and frivolous. But it didn't say he was a vexatious litigant, which is a term of art that carries consequences.

It was just a judicial shot over the bow, warning that sanctions could be coming.
Image ImageImage
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

bob wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:14 pm
This isn't quite accurate.

The judge did describe the suit as vexatious and frivolous. But it didn't say he was a vexatious litigant, which is a term of art that carries consequences.

It was just a judicial shot over the bow, warning that sanctions could be coming.
Could another court, taking notice of this, take the next step and 'promote' TFG to a vexatious litigant?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

Short answer: no.

"Vexatious litigant" status in federal court means that you can't file any more lawsuits without getting judicial approval in advance. It's very rare, and Trump's behavior, while extraordinarily abusive, hasn't really come close to the point where a federal judge would issue such an order.

See In re Martin-Trigona, 737 F.2d 1254 (2d Cir. 1984)
https://casetext.com/case/in-re-martin-trigona-12
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

So, can the lawyers affiliated with this nonsense just tell tfg "AMF?" Or are they conscripted for the long haul and wind up falling on their sword?
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
bob

Post by bob »

humblescribe wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:26 pm So, can the lawyers affiliated with this nonsense just tell tfg "AMF?" Or are they conscripted for the long haul and wind up falling on their sword?
As always, "it depends."

A lawyer can't just exit a case; the judge must approve the exit. In most cases, it is routinely granted. But some vexatious litigants litigants who engage in vexatious behavior use attorneys' departing for gamesmanship purposes.

So, to guard against that, sometimes an attorney's withdrawal is denied, or is conditional.

Obviously, anyone can snap at any time, but for most the AMF! moment should have come before filing this dreck.
Image ImageImage
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

:like:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hey!! This website's discussions are in ENGLISH!!!!! It took me forever to decipher AMF cuz it's en espanol!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

bob wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:04 pm
humblescribe wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:26 pm So, can the lawyers affiliated with this nonsense just tell tfg "AMF?" Or are they conscripted for the long haul and wind up falling on their sword?
As always, "it depends."

A lawyer can't just exit a case; the judge must approve the exit. In most cases, it is routinely granted. But some vexatious litigants litigants who engage in vexatious behavior use attorneys' departing for gamesmanship purposes.

So, to guard against that, sometimes an attorney's withdrawal is denied, or is conditional.

Obviously, anyone can snap at any time, but for most the AMF! moment should have come before filing this dreck.
Pardonne-moi, but AMF?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:23 pm Pardonne-moi, but AMF?
Adios, mother f%#ker
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

It's a new one for me, but google pretty quickly supplied "Adios my friend."

There's a snappy variation with different values for MF.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

chancery wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:35 pm It's a new one for me, but google pretty quickly supplied "Adios my friend."

Edit: jinxed by raison de arizona.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:34 pm
Kriselda Gray wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:23 pm Pardonne-moi, but AMF?
Adios, mother f%#ker
Gracias!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

chancery wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:35 pm It's a new one for me, but google pretty quickly supplied "Adios my friend."

When I googled, I got bowling alleys!
Sam the Centipede

Post by Sam the Centipede »

Off Topic
AMF … thinks … AMFF … I guess the AMFF Armada will be returning to land soon now that most of the vaccinated population of the US has died agonizing deaths and government has entirely broken down.

Meanwhile, back in Realitysville, an orange idiot continues to molest the courts.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
Actually, the anti-vaxers must have noticed by now that the vax didn't really kill everyone, so it's time to start a new rumor - it wasn't the real vax. It was just a tracking chip, like my new Tile, only tinier.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”