JOE MANCHIN

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: JOE MANCHIN

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... al-villain
Within the brutal machinations of US politics, Joe Manchin has been elevated to a status of supreme decision-maker, the man who could make or break Joe Biden’s presidency.

Internationally, however, the Democratic senator’s new fame has been received with puzzlement and growing bitterness, as countries already ravaged by the climate crisis brace themselves for the US – history’s largest ever emitter of planet-heating gases – again failing to pass major climate legislation.

For six months, Manchin has refused to support a sweeping bill to lower emissions, stymieing its progress in an evenly split US Senate where Republicans uniformly oppose climate action. Failure to pass the Build Back Better Act risks wounding Biden politically but the ramifications reverberate far beyond Washington, particularly in developing countries increasingly at the mercy of disastrous climate change.

“He’s a villain, he’s a threat to the globe,” said Saleemul Huq, director of the International Centre for Climate Change and Development, based in Bangladesh. “If you talk to the average citizen in Dhaka, they will know who Joe Manchin is. The level of knowledge of American politics here is absolutely amazing, we know about the filibuster and the Senate and so on.

“What the Americans do or don’t do on climate will impact the world and it’s incredible that this one coal lobbyist is holding things up. It will cause very bad consequences for us in Bangladesh, unfortunately.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Wow, I never really thought about that. Joe Manchin, worldwide super villain. There will undoubtedly be a toasty place reserved for him in hell, if one believes in such things.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:18 pm https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... al-villain
Within the brutal machinations of US politics, Joe Manchin has been elevated to a status of supreme decision-maker, the man who could make or break Joe Biden’s presidency.

Internationally, however, the Democratic senator’s new fame has been received with puzzlement and growing bitterness, as countries already ravaged by the climate crisis brace themselves for the US – history’s largest ever emitter of planet-heating gases – again failing to pass major climate legislation.

For six months, Manchin has refused to support a sweeping bill to lower emissions, stymieing its progress in an evenly split US Senate where Republicans uniformly oppose climate action. Failure to pass the Build Back Better Act risks wounding Biden politically but the ramifications reverberate far beyond Washington, particularly in developing countries increasingly at the mercy of disastrous climate change.

“He’s a villain, he’s a threat to the globe,” said Saleemul Huq, director of the International Centre for Climate Change and Development, based in Bangladesh. “If you talk to the average citizen in Dhaka, they will know who Joe Manchin is. The level of knowledge of American politics here is absolutely amazing, we know about the filibuster and the Senate and so on.

“What the Americans do or don’t do on climate will impact the world and it’s incredible that this one coal lobbyist is holding things up. It will cause very bad consequences for us in Bangladesh, unfortunately.”
Spent from Spring '19 to Spring '21 in Bangladesh, as some know. I can confirm that in fact the Bangladeshi people have become keen observers of our climate stances and that one of the best things early on in President Biden's first year was John Kerry taking a day trip from New Delhi to Dhaka -- flying in on a military plane to make it happen rather than have the spectacle of the first class luxury visit -- and met with bigwigs regarding the disparity between who was sitting at the climate change table as the biggest voices versus who should also be at the table as smaller countries who would be the harder hit along shorelines and island chains. It became news for days; Deshi folks were into this topic before that, but it became much bigger afterwards.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Manchin endorsed Murkowski, Murkowski endorsed Manchin, then CNN identified him as a Republican. :lol:
https://www.rawstory.com/joe-manchin-republican/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:52 pm Manchin endorsed Murkowski, Murkowski endorsed Manchin, then CNN identified him as a Republican. :lol:
If he's going to defect (and, frankly, I'm kind of surprised he hasn't given how much he seems to dislike supporting the Dem agenda) I hope he waits until after the 2022 elections so we can at least have the 2 years of Dem Senate & House that we're expecting.
tek

Post by tek »

I don't think he's going to defect.

That would leave him with zero power.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

raison de arizona wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:52 pm Manchin endorsed Murkowski, Murkowski endorsed Manchin, then CNN identified him as a Republican. :lol:
Seems legit.

Also too, I'm with Tek. Manchin won't defect. He loses all his power when he becomes one of the R herd.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Slim Cognito wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:14 am

:snippity:

Also too, I'm with Tek. Manchin won't defect. He loses all his power when he becomes one of the R herd.
You think that the Dark Lord of the Mitch wouldn't reward him for handing control back to the GQP?

To ensure he could steal another SCOTUS seat by waiting to win the WH back in 24...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
raison de arizona

Well you could just knock me over with a feather when I saw Joe Manchin sitting on the Republican side of the aisle for the SOTU. :whistle:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Ya know, he would gone to the dark side much earlier but they told him he’d be more “useful” if he stayed and played spoiler.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Say it ain't so Joe!
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
raison de arizona

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

When I see that name trending, my first thought is, "Well shit, what now?"

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:yeahthat:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Huh....I'd never guess he was Catholic...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
tek

Post by tek »

It is relatively easy to look smart when you're split-screen with Larry Kudlow.

And yet Manchin failed.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Frater I*I wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:01 pm Huh....I'd never guess he was Catholic...
He is, but the forehead ashes are also common in Anglican, Methodist and Lutheran rites, among others.
Hic sunt dracones
raison de arizona

He likes to hear his own gums flap. He should of just went with, "I've decided not to be a jerk about this one folks."
Senator Joe Manchin @Sen_JoeManchin wrote: After meeting with Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson, considering her record, and closely monitoring her testimony and questioning before the Senate Judiciary Committee this week, I have determined I intend to vote for her nomination to serve on the Supreme Court. My full statement:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.newsweek.com/joe-manchins-a ... es-1669664
Democrats have increasingly expressed anger and frustration with Senator Joe Manchin, a West Virginia Democrat, as he has opposed President Joe Biden's Build Back Better Act and ruled out changes to the filibuster to address voting rights. But polls in his own state suggest that Manchin is doing what the majority of voters there want.

Manchin, a moderate, has repeatedly stood out as the key figure within the Democratic Party preventing elements of Biden's agenda from moving forward. With an evenly split Senate, just one Democratic senator is enough to make or break the possibility that partisan priorities can pass in Congress. While the West Virginia lawmaker has drawn strong criticism from the White House and from fellow members of Democrats in Congress, recent polling suggests voters in his state are happy.

Notably, Manchin is a Democrat in a state that has gone for Republican presidential candidates in every election going back to 2000. Former President Donald Trump won in West Virginia by margins of more than 30 percentage points in 2016 and nearly 30 percentage points in 2020. Meanwhile, Manchin won reelection there in 2018 by a margin just north of 3 percent.

:snippity:

Survey results released earlier this month by the conservative American First Policy Institute showed that 59 percent of West Virginian voters approved of the Democratic senator. Meanwhile, just 30 percent of the state's voters said they approved of Biden—about half of those that have a positive view of Manchin.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I think we can put that in the Duh file.

ImageImageImage x4
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

This longish piece about the Biden-Manchin rift is worth reading. But only because it makes it clear how unforced the errors were (on both sides, but in at least one key moment it's Manchin being unreasonable about expecting people to read his mind and then getting pissed off when they don't).
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

But he's not a moron, he's crazy like a fox. He's invested in preserving things like the subsidies for oil companies and big coal, not for things like health care or climate change.
raison de arizona

There's a weird blue dot on this chart. Wonder what that is?
Also.
Take Murkowski and Collins with you to the land beyond the gate.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Manchin votes for his own interests. :mad:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Current Politics”