Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

JOE MANCHIN

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Re: JOE MANCHIN

Post by Kriselda Gray »

I can't stand Manchin. If we didn't need him to hold onto the leadership of the Senate and the control of the various committees and subcommittees, I'd tell him to just go join the repubs since he seems to love their crap so much, but right now we're dependent on him and it sucks. It'd be great if in the upcoming mid-terms we could gain even 2 or 3 Senate seats so he and Sinema's [sp?] BS would become mostly irrelevant.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Manchin would lose all of his importance and power if he defected. Then he'd be subject to McConnell's orders as a part of the tribe.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

DINO? Democrat in name only?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Given how often republicans turn on their own during primaries, the democrats should really be throwing their support behind some community oriented primary challenger in his home district.
bob

Post by bob »

neeneko wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:50 am Given how often republicans turn on their own during primaries, the democrats should really be throwing their support behind some community oriented primary challenger in his home district.
Manchin in 2018 beat his primary challenger 70%-30%.

The only other Democrat (besides Manchin) to declare for 2024 came in second in the Democratic gubernatorial primary in 2020.
Image ImageImage
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:32 am Manchin would lose all of his importance and power if he defected. Then he'd be subject to McConnell's orders as a part of the tribe.
I'm not so sure of that, evil as he is McConnell's not stupid, and certainly would reward Manchin for making him Dark Lord of the Mitch again so he could block all of Biden's appointments.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

Thank you, grandson. :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

So, yesterday at work, someone said "Joe Manchin" in the same voice as the Puppet Matt Damon from 2004's "Team America World Police" and now I can't unhear it and in my head, just scanning his name I hear it that way.

So I'm sharing the misery. I am merciful enough not to post a link to the original, though.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Well you all hate me anyway...

Hic sunt dracones
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

Or Seinfeld.

Just substitute Manchin for Newman.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
June bug

Post by June bug »

I’m sick and tired of Dems complaining about what hasn’t been done. The only way we can get anything big done save our democracy is to keep the House and get two more Senate seats. Then Manchin doesn’t matter, and neither does Sinema.

If you want to save it and achieve progressive goals, then support, work for and vote for every Democrat up and down the ticket! Otherwise, you deserve what you get.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I’m sick of Joe Manchin, and to a lesser degree Kyrsten Sinema running this country. It is teh suck. Also, since Joe Manchin is in charge, they just need to sit down with him and write the best bill WITH HIM that he will support. Stop letting him nuke everything, and just let him have his way so SOMETHING gets done. ANYTHING is better than nothing, which we seem to be looking down the barrel of. Such a bummer.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:55 pm I’m sick of Joe Manchin, and to a lesser degree Kyrsten Sinema running this country. It is teh suck. Also, since Joe Manchin is in charge, they just need to sit down with him and write the best bill WITH HIM that he will support. Stop letting him nuke everything, and just let him have his way so SOMETHING gets done. ANYTHING is better than nothing, which we seem to be looking down the barrel of. Such a bummer.
It's been tried. His claim is he can't agree to anything he can't explain to the folks in West Virginia. Which is a lot of things it seems.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

I'm to the point now that even seeing his name brings up the bile.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:13 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:55 pm I’m sick of Joe Manchin, and to a lesser degree Kyrsten Sinema running this country. It is teh suck. Also, since Joe Manchin is in charge, they just need to sit down with him and write the best bill WITH HIM that he will support. Stop letting him nuke everything, and just let him have his way so SOMETHING gets done. ANYTHING is better than nothing, which we seem to be looking down the barrel of. Such a bummer.
It's been tried. His claim is he can't agree to anything he can't explain to the folks in West Virginia. Which is a lot of things it seems.
That's not even true. There have been a number of issues where he disagreed with constituents in his state.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:33 pm
That's not even true. There have been a number of issues where he disagreed with constituents in his state.
But he could explain it to them.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

And he won't agree to anything that can't get bipartisan support, either. So as long as the republican strategy is to obstruct, obstruct, obstruct, Manchin hasn't got much of anything left to vote for.
raison de arizona

Kriselda Gray wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:41 am :snippity: Manchin hasn't got much of anything left to vote for.
He’ll vote for anything that lines his pockets, that’s for sure. So depressing.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Senator Joe Manchin @Sen_JoeManchin wrote: This morning I tested positive for COVID-19. I am fully vaccinated and boosted and am experiencing mild symptoms. I will isolate and follow CDC guidelines as I continue to work remotely to serve West Virginians.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

raison de arizona wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:47 pm
Senator Joe Manchin @Sen_JoeManchin wrote: This morning I tested positive for COVID-19. I am fully vaccinated and boosted and am experiencing mild symptoms. I will isolate and follow CDC guidelines as I continue to work remotely to serve West Virginians.
And by 'serve', he means 'stoke their greivances while filling Joe Manchin's wallet.'
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
raison de arizona

Manchin announced his new plan for the country. I'm not going to bother rehashing it, because if you care you've already seen it. It's pretty much the same one he announced in the first place earlier this year.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/07/2 ... s-00048325
raison de arizona

OK, I lied. Here's a nice one-page summary:
► Show Spoiler
And here is a joint statement from former Senate Leader Schumer and current Senate Leader Manchin:
► Show Spoiler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

might explain why he finally got on board

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

Good catch, RV!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Sounds about right for him. :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Current Politics”