Favorite Christmas Songs, Artists

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

keith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:03 pm Of course, I'd have to nominate the one that I am in.
Please show us which boy was you. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I, there was a scene on Godric's Hollow where there is Christmas music coming from the church. The choir music heard was written by Alexandre Desplat, who composed the scores for the last two films.

The song is wonderful. Not complex but a simple.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Lovely. I'll have to pay attention the next time I see it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:16 am
keith wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 11:03 pm Of course, I'd have to nominate the one that I am in.
Please show us which boy was you. :biggrin:
I'm one of the short ones usually near the front of the marchs. Hair parted on left side. I often have trouble spotting myself because they made us all take off our glasses.

ETA. OK I'm right smack in the middle of the frame at 1:55. 'Luch' Luciano is over my right shoulder, but I can't quite remember the name of the guy above me.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:03 pm Lovely. I'll have to pay attention the next time I see it.
The music is short and in the background but was enough for this choir director to go running around to see if I could find out what they used. That whole scene is moving.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I remember that scene.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Mrich

Post by Mrich »

I just saw a "CMT Crossroads" on the CMT channel. I like to watch these when I can catch them because they get two (or more) different acts to perform together. For example, last week they had Robert Plant and Alison Krauss. (I frickin' LOVE Alison Krauss!)

Anyway, this was the Crossroads Christmas special, with "For King & Country", Breland, Chrissy Metz, Natalie Grant, and Rebecca St. James. I have never heard of "For King & Country"; they are a Christian pop duo (brothers) originally from Australia. Their version of "Little Drummer Boy" just blew me away.

This is not from the show, but it's a live version:

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That was great!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Marcus for the win:

Tiredretiredlawyer

Bravo, Marcus!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Tiredretiredlawyer

PaulG

Post by PaulG »

So I'm in Trader Joe's today and noticed something bizarre. The staff were stocking the shelves in time to the xmas music. What made is weird was this was the piece playing:

I wanted to go sit in a pew myself. The next song played was Silent Night, and then the most lethargic version of We Wish You a Merry Xmas I've ever heard. The staff must have been having a go-slow.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

All stores like to play slower music. I was also at Trader Joe's today. I noticed a nice, bouncy Christmas song as I walked up. As soon as I entered the store, the Christmas music was much more sedate.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

My favorite Christmas song is Puppy for Hanukkah:
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:dance:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

PaulG wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:59 pm So I'm in Trader Joe's today and noticed something bizarre. The staff were stocking the shelves in time to the xmas music. What made is weird was this was the piece playing:

I wanted to go sit in a pew myself. The next song played was Silent Night, and then the most lethargic version of We Wish You a Merry Xmas I've ever heard. The staff must have been having a go-slow.
Oh, I have played that many, many, many, many, many, many, many times. This happens when you are an organist and choir director.

The version which says it is the "best ever" Is not may favorite. It is expected, given when it was done, but it is overly romanticized and thickly textured.

I like this one more, and the period instruments are a nice touch (set to start at 16:09 as that is when the chorale in question comes in the larger Cantata 147.

One of the recordings that are considered by many to be the top is the Joshua Rifkin one. It is a bit too fast for my tastes but would make the Trader Joe staff more efficient.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Now for something a bit different, but a favorite of mine since I sang it in college.

The Christmas Cantata (Sinfonia Sacra) by Danial Pinhkham.

Movement No. 1, Quem vidistis pastores?

Movement No. 2, Q magnum mysterium (I love the ending of the movement, brass in minor the organ in major, and the choir on their own chord).

Movement No. 3, Gloria in excelsis Deo

And for a bit of a change, Lux Aurumque by Eric Whitacre (not sure why the screen looks like an error but it appears to work).
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:23 pm Coventry Carol

In college, we did the Leighton version of the Lully, Lulla text. Sadly, due to an unfortunate placement of a page turn, while sightreading, we ended up singing:

He "turns page" rod.

I can no longer here or sing the Conventry Carol without thinking Heerod instead of Herod.

Oh, and the Leighton:
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:20 pm:dance:
Yeah, that was great!
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I love music history!!!!!! Thanks, N10 and volkonski!
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Kendra wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:30 pm
This is the only x-mas song I can actually stand.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Not music, but here is some Irish clown waffling about the history of A famous Christmas poem then reciting "Twas the night before Christmas".

https://www.facebook.com/jjoshaugh/post ... %2CO%2CP-R
Hic sunt dracones
Tiredretiredlawyer

Heard this for the first time ever on my way to my very first Christmas Bird Count! :biggrin:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Putting different tunes together into one song can be fun. There are times I have a little too much fun with it. Tomorrow morning, we will be ending with the hymn "Come, Thou Long Expected Jesus" (last Sunday of Advent). Given the shortness of the hymn, I will usually play an improvised interlude to cover time and also add to the excitement for the final verse. On this interlude, I will often toss in the opening notes of "O Come All Ye Faithful" as a bit of musical/liturgical foreshadowing.

Moving, on. Here is the Gustav Holst hymntune to Christina Rossetti's "In the Bleak Midwinter" arranged by Mack Wilberg as sung by the King's Singers and the treble choristers for the College of King's College, Cambridge. It's lovely, though you need to go to YouTube to watch it since they limit playback on other sites.

And maybe a run back to the Spanish Renaissance. with Tomás Luis de Victoria's setting of O magnum mysterium.

For those who want it, the basic translations of the Latin text.
► Show Spoiler

Return to “The Funny”