Favorite Christmas Songs, Artists

mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Post by mojosapien »

Posted this b4...Mojo don't smoke
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Edit: Ninja'd by John Thomas8. Oops
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Lani

Post by Lani »

That's the last time I'm going to watch a dog video. Mocha rushed into my room, jumped on the bed, and tried to flip over my laptop to get the dog out of the computer.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
derevan

Post by derevan »

derevan

Post by derevan »

derevan

Post by derevan »

Happy Holidays everyone!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hanukkah begins tomorrow. Please post your favorite Hanukkah songs!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

cassandra

Post by cassandra »

And of course, there's the Adam Sandler classic (the song, not necessarily the movie):

From a whole list, including an original Woodie Gurthrie....

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/ ... kah-songs/

As Mr. Sandler sings, "not too shabby".
Tiredretiredlawyer

Bravo and Brava!! For all the songs today!!!!!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Somebody was practicing Brahm's Es ist ein Ros' entsprungen (Lo, how a rose e'er blooming) today.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:fivestar:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... tmas-carol
The Ukrainian folk song that became a symbol of freedom and a popular U.S. Christmas carol

'Tis the holiday season and the bells are ringing. Almost everyone has probably heard numerous versions of the popular Christmas song “Carol of the Bells.” But few people know that this song was actually adapted from a traditional Ukrainian folk chant, “Shchedryk.”

And “Shchedryk” has taken on even more significance this holiday season because a century ago the folk song became a symbol of Ukrainians’ desire for freedom at a time when the country was being occupied by Soviet Russian invaders in the aftermath of World War I. “The story of Shchedryk is the story of the Ukrainian fight for independence,” said Tina Peresunko, a leading expert on the song’s history who is currently a research fellow at the National Academy of Sciences in Kyiv.

The song’s title is derived from the Ukrainian word “shchedryj,” or bountiful. The song originally had nothing to do with Christmas. Instead, it was one of the traditional “winter well-wishing songs” sung in Ukrainian villages on Jan. 13—New Year’s Eve on the Julian calendar—by young girls going house to house. The girls sang the folk chant predicting good fortune for the New Year, and were rewarded with baked goods and other treats.

Ukrainian composer Mykola Leontovych adapted the folk chant to create a choral masterpiece—with a haunting recurring four-note motif as an ostinato, a continually repeated musical phrase or rhythm—on a commission from Oleksander Koshyts, conductor of the Ukrainian Republican Kapelle. It was first performed in December 1916 at the Kyiv Philharmonic.

keith

Post by keith »

cassandra wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:11 am And of course, there's the Adam Sandler classic (the song, not necessarily the movie):

From a whole list, including an original Woodie Gurthrie....

https ://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/best-hanukkah-songs/

As Mr. Sandler sings, "not too shabby".
That was fun, but the put on voice was just stupid.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Very nice!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith

Post by keith »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:17 pm https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/1 ... tmas-carol
The Ukrainian folk song that became a symbol of freedom and a popular U.S. Christmas carol

'Tis the holiday season and the bells are ringing. Almost everyone has probably heard numerous versions of the popular Christmas song “Carol of the Bells.” But few people know that this song was actually adapted from a traditional Ukrainian folk chant, “Shchedryk.”

And “Shchedryk” has taken on even more significance this holiday season because a century ago the folk song became a symbol of Ukrainians’ desire for freedom at a time when the country was being occupied by Soviet Russian invaders in the aftermath of World War I. “The story of Shchedryk is the story of the Ukrainian fight for independence,” said Tina Peresunko, a leading expert on the song’s history who is currently a research fellow at the National Academy of Sciences in Kyiv.

The song’s title is derived from the Ukrainian word “shchedryj,” or bountiful. The song originally had nothing to do with Christmas. Instead, it was one of the traditional “winter well-wishing songs” sung in Ukrainian villages on Jan. 13—New Year’s Eve on the Julian calendar—by young girls going house to house. The girls sang the folk chant predicting good fortune for the New Year, and were rewarded with baked goods and other treats.

Ukrainian composer Mykola Leontovych adapted the folk chant to create a choral masterpiece—with a haunting recurring four-note motif as an ostinato, a continually repeated musical phrase or rhythm—on a commission from Oleksander Koshyts, conductor of the Ukrainian Republican Kapelle. It was first performed in December 1916 at the Kyiv Philharmonic.

https ://youtu.be/GqeJ38DThVc
Brilliant. I didn't know the origen but the Christmas carol version has always been my favourite to sing and listen. Its almost impossible for me to not sing along.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

When I was in college, we had a Russian-born conducting graduate assistant who explained much of this. She also had us end the song in the traditional style and not the one you usually hear in the US (i.e. faster on the last couple of notes).
101010 :towel:
much ado

Post by much ado »

Ninja-ed by tiredretiredlawyer! I came here specifically to post on Carol of the Bells and Shchedryk. Trl has already covered the background.

Here's my favorite Carol of the Bells by Cimorelli (sisters)...

Here is a great version of Shchedryk (Щедрик) sung by the National Ukrainian Folk Choir...

The description of the video is in Ukrainian. I've translated it for your interest...
Gregory Verevka. Today this name is known far beyond Ukraine. And it all began in 1943 almost immediately after the liberation of Kharkov from the Nazis, when it was decided to create a Ukrainian folk choir. Gregory Verevka was appointed artistic director. The selection of artists was not easy. Some musicians were specially searched on the fronts by field mail. And vocalists were recruited on trips to cities and villages. Many had no musical education - they just loved to sing and had strong vocal skills. Then the choir moved to Kyiv, and on September 6, 1944, the first concert was given - it was dedicated to the people of Kyiv, who rebuilt their destroyed city. We had to perform without costumes - women hid tarpaulin boots behind the backs of men standing a row below. This was the beginning of a great and glorious journey. On our stage, the pride of Ukraine is the National Honored Academic Ukrainian Folk Choir named after Gregory Verevka.
The music is in the public domain in the U.S., but the English lyrics to Carol of the Bells are under copyright.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Am I the only one here that loathes christmas music....

Yes, I do, and I apologize for nothing....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
poplove
Verified: ✅💚💙💜☮️💐🌈⚽️✅

Post by poplove »

Frater I*I wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:10 pm Am I the only one here that loathes christmas music....

Yes, I do, and I apologize for nothing....
Just for you!
Tiredretiredlawyer

Firstborn Son has always hated Country music. When we would drive with him in his car seat we'd hit different radio station buttons to find a good song. Knowing he couldn't abide country, we had to hit a country station button.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" he would shriek from the backseat. "That isn't MUSIC!!!!"

He was about two or three then. He hasn't changed his position. :biggrin:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:09 am Firstborn Son has always hated Country music. When we would drive with him in his car seat we'd hit different radio station buttons to find a good song. Knowing he couldn't abide country, we had to hit a country station button.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!" he would shriek from the backseat. "That isn't MUSIC!!!!"

He was about two or three then. He hasn't changed his position. :biggrin:
He's still in his car seat?

Return to “The Funny”