The Murdaugh Murders (podcast)

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I haven't finished listening to this, but I've been super busy the last two days and taking a break on the couch listening to this. This video includes discussion on several cases. I love this guy's sense of humor.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN just broke in and reported that verdict is in. That was fast.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Really fast!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Kendra wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:54 pm CNN just broke in and reported that verdict is in. That was fast.
Ninja'd.

I just helped mom back to bed for the night, she watches Jeopardy and some other game show and then falls asleep. I walked by the living room where I had CNN on with the sound muted, but I looked up at the screen and holee molee - we have a verdict!!

Usually from what I have seen when a verdict comes fast it's guilty. But you never know. I think OJ verdict came back fast, and I was shocked at the verdict.

The first prosecution closing ended very very well, I thought. The defense closing was awful. And the prosecution rebuttal closing was awful.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Guilty.

Holy Crap. I'm almost surprised.
--Colin Kaepernick
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

RVInit wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:07 pm Guilty.

Me too!
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:08 pm

Me too!
Me three! Four guilty verdicts so far.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

yes

lock that pos up forever
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Kendra wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:54 pm CNN just broke in and reported that verdict is in. That was fast.
GUILTY ON ALL COUNTS
DEFENSE ASKED FOR THE VERDICT TO BE SET ASIDE, AND WAS DENIED
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Kendra wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:08 pm
Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:08 pm

Me too!
Me three! Four guilty verdicts so far.
Edit: I guess there were four counts total, so guilty on all counts.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That video is well produced. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

I've never seen this before. The jury is still in the room. The defense made a motion for the judge to overturn the verdict. The judge basically says no way, there was more than sufficient evidence for a guilty verdict, the jury has properly considered the case and came to their verdict.

He says minimum sentence is 30 years, max is life. the two weapons charges are 5 years. He wants to reconvene for sentencing.

I kind of had the feeling he could have sentenced today, which I hadn't heard. I guess sentencing with be tomorrow morning. Wow. That is fast.
--Colin Kaepernick
Tiredretiredlawyer

I won!!! I won!! I called it!!!! What did I win?????
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The reporter is making the comment that the "little detective", which is a knickname given him by Maggie, supplied the evidence to solve his own murder. If that video had not been found on his phone, which proved that Alex was present at the kennel minutes before Paul and Maggie suddenly quit responding to active conversations on their phone, he would probably never have been charged.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The one comment I wanted to make about the defense closing is that his own lawyer sounded like he did not believe a word of what he was saying. I was saying that to myself during the whole thing. He isn't buying a single word that he is saying in this closing.

But he really was left not able to argue the "forensics" after the prosecution rebuttal absolutely destroyed the defense "experts". I thought it may possibly be over for him at that point during the rebuttal case. it was really good.
--Colin Kaepernick
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I love reading reports calling him disgraced ex-lawyer.
Tiredretiredlawyer

I see a suicide in Murdaugh's future.
Atticus Finch

Post by Atticus Finch »

Tough break for Murdaugh that there wasn't a bloody glove at the murder scene.

"If it doesn't fit, you must acquit!" The ghost of OJ Simpson
You don't need religion to have morals. If you can't determine right from wrong then you lack empathy, not religion.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Speaking of OJ:

SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

RVInit wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:23 pm The reporter is making the comment that the "little detective", which is a knickname given him by Maggie, supplied the evidence to solve his own murder. If that video had not been found on his phone, which proved that Alex was present at the kennel minutes before Paul and Maggie suddenly quit responding to active conversations on their phone, he would probably never have been charged.
Do you have a link to the son's video? I haven't been following this trial very much but would like to see the evidence that the son left behind. He was only about 22, right? I cannot imagine the evil of killing your 22 year old son.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Paul was in the middle of a conversation with his friend about the friend's dog, which was at the Murdaugh property. Paul took this video and you can hear Maggie and Alex in the background when one of the dogs caught a chicken. This video was discovered when Paul's phone was finally cracked and then multiple people, including Alex' brother, identified his voice as the male voice in the background.

Paul's friend never actually got this video because Paul was killed before he was able to send it to the friend who was waiting for it. They were in the middle of conversation when Paul just never again responded. Paul and Maggie suddenly no longer responding to people on the other end of conversations played heavily in setting the time of their murders.

--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Listened to some interesting discussion as to why they did not seek the death penalty.

Aside from what many thought would be difficulty in just convicting him in his own backyard where his family acted like politicians, involved in the community, currying favor amongst the riffraff, which helped them get large jury awards in their civil cases where they sued deep pockets for large payments.

1. Murdaugh's defense filed for speedy trial

2. Lead attorney did not have experience with death penalty cases

3. Defense attorneys said they would file motions to be relieved of the case because of the resources necessary to defend a death penalty case

4. Requires sentencing phase

5. Government knew their case was not "strong". I actually disagree with this. I think the facts were strongly pointing to Alex and you would have to make way too many mental leaps to try to fit those facts to someone else doing it.

Here is a link to "Harvard Lawyer Lee", they are live for the sentencing, but started early to have some discussion.

--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Wow. Judge Newman is fairly soft spoken but his words were heavy.

He talked about how the Murdaugh family controlled the legal system for over 100 years and how his father and grandfather presided over many death penalty cases where the accused committed even lesser crimes than what Murdaugh committed. Those are some powerful sentiments. He said he would not judge the state for declining to seek the death penalty even though this case certainly qualified for death penalty in terms of the facts of the case, which he specified.

Two consecutive life sentences.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

The juror who was removed from the case for misconduct apparently told people there was nothing that could be said to change her mind and she would have "hung the case".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/al ... r-AA18big9
--Colin Kaepernick

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”