Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

North Rawly and North Cackilacki, as seen by a SoCal exile

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
sugar magnolia

Re: North Rawly and North Cackilacki, as seen by a SoCal exile

Post by sugar magnolia »

keith wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:58 am
Foggy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:16 pm Luncheon with ol' Wifehorn and Numbah One Son, at the NC Seafood Restaurant in the State Farmers' Market. Pricy, but oh, the great quality food.
Pricy? What do they spend the money on? Doesn't anybody have PLATES anymore? or GLASSES? Don't you have anything other than styrofoam in the US of A anymore?

Do you know how long that stuff lives in landfill? Or floating around in the ocean? Do you know what that shit does to turtles?

Fer fksakes.
Our farmer's market restaurant uses real plates and glasses unless it's a to-go order. Why do you assume Foggy's is any different? And even the to-go stuff is recyclable.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:40 am
Foggy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:26 am Immersive Van Gogh:
Have you ever dreamt of stepping into a painting? Take an awe-inspiring journey into the incomparable universe of Van Gogh, one of the greatest artistic geniuses of the 19th century.
This starts at 10 this morning. :P
Running in Melbourne now through September. I might make some birthday wish remarks to someone who could do something about it.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:00 am
Foggy wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:16 pm Luncheon with ol' Wifehorn and Numbah One Son, at the NC Seafood Restaurant in the State Farmers' Market. Pricy, but oh, the great quality food.
Pricy? What do they spend the money on? Doesn't anybody have PLATES anymore? or GLASSES? Don't you have anything other than styrofoam in the US of A anymore?

Do you know how long that stuff lives in landfill? Or floating around in the ocean? Do you know what that shit does to turtles?

Fer fksakes.
Our farmer's market restaurant uses real plates and glasses unless it's a to-go order. Why do you assume Foggy's is any different? And even the to-go stuff is recyclable.
Styrofoam is NOT recyclable. Neither are the plastic straws in the photo.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

keith wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:05 am
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:00 am

Fer fksakes.
Styrofoam is NOT recyclable. Neither are the plastic straws in the photo.
Ah. The photo didn't show up for me on his original post.
Unfortunately, many restaurants were required to go to disposable plates, etc during covid and many are still using them, even for dine in.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, but I think they've always used styrofoam. :blackeye:

Next time I go there, I shall bring mah tablet and read Keith's rant aloud. Using Suranis's voice. :mrgreen:

But today I'm in Bathysphere or wherever it is. Let's go over there.
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.rainbowrecycling.org/are-pa ... ecyclable/
Are packing peanuts biodegradable?

The answer to the question are packing peanuts biodegradable: yes, some of them. If you have green packing peanuts, it means they are made of 70% biodegradable materials and are biodegradable.

What are biodegradable packing peanuts made of?
Now you’re probably wondering what are biodegradable packing peanuts made of? They are made of natural, non-toxic sources, such as wheat and corn starch. They are not toxic if eaten.

How to tell if packing peanuts are biodegradable?
If you don’t know how to tell if packing peanuts are biodegradable, I’ll discover you a simple trick that is 100% accurate: just need to place a few of them under a faucet and turn the water on.

Wait for a few minutes and see what’s going on. If you have natural packing peanuts, they will start to dissolve. If you have a Styrofoam, it will remain unaffected by water.

Put it in your sink. It’s necessary to put it into the sink or a bathtub and just run the water until they dissolve.
https://www.instructables.com/Recycling ... rene-Plas/
Recycling Styrofoam (EPS) Into Useable Castable Styrene Plastic at Home

Scope of the project and feature creep:

Recycle small old Expanded Polystyrene foam insulation coolers I get monthly with a medication. Our city has no program that accepts EPS, and so I looked into some experiments with it, and in the process come up with a 'Easy' technique to Recycle EPS (Expanded Polystyrene Foam) not only reducing its size, but also making it into something usable/useful (im calling it “Maker Goop” for now). In a relatively safe and health conscious way.

‘Maker Goop’ Can be handy for making small plastic parts, castings, or just to make the EPS a flowable product for makers, or for Recyclers which could have the solvents extracted and reused commercially, or burned (as is done in the EU for power. It does emit co2 and water vapor and not much else.)
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state ... 72718.html
Swarms of invasive pest found in North Carolina can disrupt outdoor events, state says

A garish invasive pest from Asia has been discovered in North Carolina for the first time and it could be big trouble for the state’s agriculture and tourism industries, experts say.

The spotted lanternfly is known to “attack hops, fruit trees, and many ornamental plants,” and “mating swarms” can become large enough to overwhelm outdoor events such as weddings and tours, N.C. State University Extension reports.

“Initial surveys indicate the known distribution of the pest is within a 5-mile radius in Forsyth County near Interstate 40 in Kernersville extending to the Guilford County line,” the N.C. Department of Agriculture said in a June 29 news release.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Straws that look like plastic may be corn plastic. That said, I carry a pocket straw and utensils because I’m weird like that. Even with being a single person, this has eliminated a fair amount of disposable utensil use, so imagine it on a broader scale.

I also have leftover containers for when eating out. Doesn’t help with takeout/delivery but saves some containers, and restaurants appreciate it. I’ve gotten compliments on the practicality of mine.

If I were President and controlled Congress, I’d outlaw styrofoam/#6.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/8 ... nstitution
Top North Carolina court rules that gerrymandered GOP legislature lacked power to amend constitution

In a remarkable decision, the North Carolina Supreme Court ruled on Friday that because the state legislature was unconstitutionally gerrymandered, Republican lawmakers may have lacked the power to approve amendments to the state constitution and put them before voters.

The decision, which the court's 4-3 Democratic majority issued along party lines, stopped short of granting the plaintiffs' requests to strike down two amendments passed by Republicans in 2018—one to require photo voter ID and another to cap any state income tax at 7%. The justices instead returned the case to the trial court for further findings, though its framing of the dispute indicates that there's a strong likelihood the state courts will ultimately invalidate the amendments.

At the heart of this case is the fact that a large number of legislative districts had already been struck down in 2017 after federal courts found they illegally discriminated against Black voters. However, Republicans who had been elected under the unconstitutional maps used their supermajorities to place their amendments on the ballot the following year, when they were ultimately approved by voters.

The plaintiffs, who are backed by the NAACP, made the unusual—but not unprecedented—argument that the GOP's widespread illegal gerrymandering rendered the legislature a "usurper" that legally lacked the power to amend North Carolina's foundational governing document because it had "lost its claim to popular sovereignty." A lower court agreed in 2019 by striking down the two amendments, but a 2-1 Republican majority on the state Court of Appeals reversed that ruling along party lines in 2020, leading the plaintiffs to appeal to the state Supreme Court.

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh cool.

Barack Hussein Obama wasn't a usurper but the Republican legislature in North Carolina was.

Who says surrealism is dead?
:fivestar:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Weather for the next few days ... can't put this in Weather Alerts because it isn't an alert. :oopsy:

eat_me_socal.jpg
Honestly, I can not ask for better weather. Look at the percent chance of rain.

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer

The same applies in Arkansas for the next two weeks! Horse weather! Hiking weather! Dog walk weather!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Same here in Maybelot, only a few degrees cooler. Excellent sleeping temperature!

We try not to have the AC on, and most of the time we don’t need it. When we first moved in here there were very few windows that actually open, and we’ve slowly been replacing those with windows that work. So we get a very nice breeze inside, and we’ve discovered that the house stays pretty comfortable even if the inside temp is 79 or 80, as long as the inside humidity is low.

So when it’s hot and rainy we close all the windows and turn on the whole-house dehumidifier, and when the outside temp is in the 90s we sometimes turn on the AC, but it just depends on how we feel. In our old house we had to have the AC on from April through October, and we were a little worried about the cost of cooling a house that’s almost three times the size, but that’s turning out not to be an issue because the air flow here is so good.

So now I can spend all that free electricity the solar generates on my new electric car (if it ever shows up — I ordered it in February).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Weather same here :shock:
After these last two weeks of Estiveo-melting temps this is perfect!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, obvsly I wasn't drunk last night, because ol' Wifehorn and I hopped out of bed early, I had no hangover, and we were in the car on the way home at 7:30 a.m. The two of us packing for a trip are like a well-oiled machine*. Got home in less than 4 hours, which is why we leave early. If you wait until 9, the 95 freeway is a parking lot from our nation's capital down to below Fredericksburg. Depending upon your timing, the trip can take just under 4 hours, or more than 6 and a half. :( We avoid the pain, after lots of experience.

Kittehs are grateful to have us home, and the weather is still great.

In fact, see ya. :wave:

* that's now an unfortunate saying: the best machines have no moving parts, and hence require very little oil, but we're extremely efficient.

Or the future.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Are you sure you were in Bathysphere or wherever it is, Foggy? Look who we met on our hike today!
Attachments
C958C0C6-FADA-4E02-8F11-CE3B75FF3099.jpeg
C958C0C6-FADA-4E02-8F11-CE3B75FF3099.jpeg (46.75 KiB) Viewed 966 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, did you get her phone num...

NEVER MIND. :talktothehand:

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Foggy likes redheads!!!!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Let's blow this pop stand, ol' Wifehorn. Down the road a piece to go callin' on Numbah Two Son, get some luncheon at Kickback Jack's sports bar and restaurant, hang out a spell, and then drive home. Whaddya say, young lady? :batting:

(Narrator: It was her idea, except for which restaurant. :roll:)

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Today on the 40 freeway at about 75 mph on a glorious September afternoon, the car next to me in the left lane suddenly swerved into my lane, coming so close to me that his passenger, an adult male, screamed in fear through his open window. Ol' Wifehorn heard this through my own driver's side window, which I had rolled down on a sunny and warm day, and she screamed too also, beginning just milliseconds after the dude in the other car screamed. So that was exciting. Everybody on both sides of me, yelling their fool heads off. :eek:

But I hit the brakes without swerving at all, and made the guy miss me by well over an inch, maybe 2 inches (5 centimeters, no more), and I never screamed even once, not even when I passed him later and had an opportunity to comment about his navigational skills, or lack thereof.

Ol' Wifehorn's comment, hours later, was simply that the incident was "terrifying," and I'm sure it was, in the passenger seat. But my California training kicked in and I reacted on autopilot. Besides, I told the cats that we'd be home before dinner, so I couldn't fit a major accident into my bizzy schedule. :nope:

Or the future.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Promises to cats must be honored.

Glad you weren't injured.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Foggy wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:08 pm :snippity:

Ol' Wifehorn's comment, hours later, was simply that the incident was "terrifying," and I'm sure it was, in the passenger seat. But my California training kicked in and I reacted on autopilot. Besides, I told the cats that we'd be home before dinner, so I couldn't fit a major accident into my bizzy schedule. :nope:
Cali AKA The Mad Max School of Defensive Driving....

I'll come in again... :bag:
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Tiredretiredlawyer

:o :eek: :shock: :bighug:
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

In the late 90's, driving in Portugal from Lisbao to Porto, I was ascared like that multiple times.
It was a high speed 2-lane highway and I was driving a turbo diesel VW camper van which wasn't either fast or slow. But, while someone was passing me on my left, someone would decide to pass them (the car passing me) on their left.

This was also happening on the opposite oncoming traffic lane-- so there was a dual fan of three vehicles from each direction headed for collision. Each time, just for the seemingly certain array of impacts, both fans would collapse with just inches between the sets of bumpers.

Describing it back in Spain, they said it was common and the Portugal sense of machismo fanned by the few uber-wealthy having high performance cars that they were determined to get to full speed.

Yikes!!!
Foggy
Dick Tater

North Rawly and North Cackilacki, as seen by a SoCal exile

Post by Foggy »

Voted early today. 👍

Short line, everybody being pleasant and friendly, I wore my "Birds Aren't Real" button (it's non-political), had a good response, and went home. With ol' Wifehorn, of course. I have done my civic booty and voted for good people right on down the line.

Or the future.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”